ROFR Thread July to Sept 2020 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We own at AKV, AUL, and BWV, and use home resort 11 months out to book the really hard to book days (mostly July 4th and Thanksgiving). Then we use our big bank of SSR points at 7 months out to complete the trip. Had worked wonders for us over the past 7 years or so, great value.

SSR points are just awesome... low maintenance fee, low buy in price, long expiration date. Do a little bit of work and these points can be rented out at almost the same price as "premium resort" points. Or, in some years I "swap out" my reservation - booked with home resort points at 11 months out, then at 7 months out swap with SSR points by calling in. Since I already held the reservation I was able to do it (with the tiny risk that someone happened to grab the reservation while the rep is doing the swap - but fingers crossed it had not happened so far). Then I have those premium resort points again.

So SSR for us is like completing a color block in monopoly... is that like community chest? I think I played a game or two that way but it may be house rules.
That is an intriguing strategy that I'll have to file away in "When the addonitis hits." I would be too worried that something goes awry and we'd "have to" stay there. Even with the low PP cost, there were too many things about SSR that made me look elsewhere for our first contract. SSR also has the 2nd-highest rate of increase in MF over the last 5 years (OKW #1).

That is an intriguing strategy that I'll have to file away in "When the addonitis hits." I would be too worried that something goes awry and we'd "have to" stay there. Even with the low PP cost, there were too many things about SSR that made me look elsewhere for our first contract. SSR also has the 2nd-highest rate of increase in MF over the last 5 years (OKW #1).
Most of that increase is from CM’s pay raises. SSR MF’s should slow down. SSR and OKW are spread out and have a lot more CM’s to take care of the grounds compared to other DVC resorts, which are a building here, or a section over here. OKW and SSR are stand-alone resorts, no cash side.

OKW and SSR are stand-alone resorts, no cash side.

Yup which outlines why you see higher MFs at RIV as well because stand alone resorts are taking on full expenses.

Also SSR/OKW are "cheap" nightly point rates so they have to charge more on the MFs side to make up for "less points".

wow I still haven't gotten our closing documents! It's been almost 2 weeks since I passed.

Wow! I thought a week was slow but my agent assured me it was in progress. Actually, I was afraid the documents were being mailed but I was just impatient. :) (I honestly don't recall how long the first contract took and it also wasn't in a pandemic, so, you know, what is time?)

Most of that increase is from CM’s pay raises. SSR MF’s should slow down. SSR and OKW are spread out and have a lot more CM’s to take care of the grounds compared to other DVC resorts, which are a building here, or a section over here. OKW and SSR are stand-alone resorts, no cash side.
This is a good point about CM’s and the spread out grounds compared to other resorts. I do wonder if the OKW recent refurb and ongoing SSR refurb have anything to do with the increase in MF’s.
You also raise a good point about MF raises slowing down at these resorts. SSR and OKW have more units which hopefully would help mitigate/slow increases. Conceivably, with more people to pay them (power in numbers) that could be the case. The historical MF’s at these resorts were lower than others up until the last few yrs with the big increases. I own at CCV and those MF’s are 60 cents higher than SSR and 80 cents higher than BLT. Both CCV and BLT share with the main resorts (transportation, etc) but CCV has only 220 rooms and BLT has 428. Maybe that’s a factor why CCV is more? (SSR has 1320). I’m not sure if I’m right or not. honestly just a theory

Maintenance fees is resort specific, and they ebb and flow. Probably even out if you own for a long time. SSR is still the 4th lowest MF in the DVC complex.

Since rental price is higher than maintenance fee, every year of ownership is basically cash flow positive. This means the more years left in the contract, the more valuable it is. SSR expires in 2054 which I think is pretty good, considering the insane prices paid on OKW and BCV which expire in 2042.

SSR is one of the cheapest contracts in DVC. They can be had in the $90s these days.

In our 7 years of ownership we had never stayed at SSR even though we have close to 1000 points there. We use home resort to book say the entire week of July 4th at 11 months out at AKV, BMV, or AUL. Then right at 7 months out we look at availability before and after our stays (usually the days around July 4th are sold out). Then we cancel some of the days before or after our 11 month reservation, and replace it with a long SSR 7 month point booking. This way we were able to secure 10 - 14 days at AKV, BMV, and AUL using mostly SSR points. We move once during our stay which I think is absolutely worth it considering how their bell desk make it easy. They are used to DVC people switching rooms.

Our long term plan is to spend a lot of time at DVC after we retire. With a flexible schedule I think we can use our SSR points to book much more expensive resorts easily at 7 months out.

jwinky---$144-$15603-100-BLT-Mar-0/19, 100/20, 100/21, 100/22- sent 6/29
jwinky---$141-$24401-160-PVB-Mar-160/19, 160/20, 160/21, 160/22- sent 7/7

I promise, it's my last one for a while, 😜.

jwinky---$144-$15603-100-BLT-Mar-0/19, 100/20, 100/21, 100/22- sent 6/29, passed 8/3
jwinky---$141-$24401-160-PVB-Mar-0/19, 320/20, 160/21, 160/22- sent 7/7, passed 8/12

35 and 36 days for those still counting the days. Now I need to close ASAP in time to bank my 2020 points. :snail:
I changed my PVB to reflect 2019 were already banked into 2020.

Last SSR appear to pass in this thread was 8/3. I wonder if they ROFR by resort or truly first in, last out regardless of resort. Then again there are some still waiting on ones submitted in June with others being submitted and passing after that. Really wish I had a ROFRcrystal ball :)

Last edited:
Last SSR appear to pass in this thread was 8/3. I wonder if they ROFR by resort or truly first in, last out regardless of resort. Then again there are some still waiting on ones submitted in June with others being submitted and passing after that. Really wish I had a ROFRcrystal ball :)

Tell me about it. I have been waiting for one sent 6/19. I am happy for the others passing so quickly but this long wait has me regretting buying resale. I am probably going to lose banked points that will expire before they are added to my account

Tell me about it. I have been waiting for one sent 6/19. I am happy for the others passing so quickly but this long wait has me regretting buying resale. I am probably going to lose banked points that will expire before they are added to my account
That stinks! Good luck! I hope they let you know soon!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter