Roll Out Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer: an August Trip Report (Complete!)

a big shout out to my fellow Canuck, bankr63, who very patiently answered all my questions and indulged me with photos and PDFs from his March Break getaway at the Vistana to help me pass the waiting time :thumbsup2. I hope he knows how much I appreciated his kindness!!

:blush: :wave2:

My goodness, did it just get hot in here!?!

I'm checking in, a couple of days late on account of I am SWAMPED with work after a few days away camping. Imagine work getting in the way of my DIS time!

And it is always my pleasure to share a little bit of Disney or Sheraton pixiedust: Just glad that I could help! :thumbsup2

:blush: :wave2:

My goodness, did it just get hot in here!?!

I'm checking in, a couple of days late on account of I am SWAMPED with work after a few days away camping. Imagine work getting in the way of my DIS time!

And it is always my pleasure to share a little bit of Disney or Sheraton pixiedust: Just glad that I could help! :thumbsup2

I just hope you know (and I mean really KNOW) how much I appreciated all of your "insider" information. There was literally no question you couldn't (or wouldn't) answer. I am sure you wanted to hit the delete button more than once when you saw yet ANOTHER one of my posts :rolleyes1 but yet you patiently provided yet another awesome and detailed response. You rock! :goodvibes

Add that to the concern over our eligibility for the KLM Flying Blue code, and we decided it might be worth paying a little more to have peace of mind.

OMG, you should have TOTALLY said hello!!!! That would have been so cool!!! (I never worry about stalkers when I'm out and about with my guys.....lol, you have seen the size of them, right??? :rotfl:)

The Flying Blue code really did work. We used it, and had a (guess what?) Dodge Journey. A bit smaller than our Chevy Traverse, but very comfortable for the week. :goodvibes

Come to think of it, we bought the Traverse after having rented it for a week on our previous WDW trip.

And speaking of stalkers, I'm starting to worry now. Your unit is directly above the unit we had in March... :lmao:

Sunday, August 25th…..day 2! (and the 4-month mark before Christmas)

Today we declared out official “shopping day” (not that we didn’t do some sort of shopping almost every day….or so it seemed….but this day was definitely more retail-centered than the others). Jake could not be happier. For those that haven’t read my past trip reports, let me take a moment to explain that Jake is the girl I will never have when it comes to shopping :lmao:. He loves clothes. He has a “shoe thing”. He LOVES to shop. And he saves and budgets and works his fanny off for months in advance to bring along a substantial budget (and 3 empty carry-ons) to replenish his wardrobe on each trip to Orlando. To say he was pumped for this day would be like saying “its warm in Florida in August”. A tad bit of an understatement :rolleyes1.

Since we were up early the day prior in order to get to our monster truck tour reservation, I let the boys sleep in on this day. They needed it and so did I. Unfortunately, my early rising tendencies kicked in and I was up at virtually “normal” time (which is way, way too early when on vacation). The day had dawned bright and sunny with a fabulous morning, so I decided to take a little tour of the “neighbourhood” before waking my sleeping beauties. So this would be a good place to share some of my “resort” photos.

Spas section:

Cascades section:

Cascades pool:

Surrey bikes, for rent at the Cascades pool:

Courts main pool:

Courts splash pool (or maybe it was a second hot tub? Not sure!):

Courts hot tub:

Falls pool:

Falls playground:

Basketball court:

There were ducks EVERYWHERE.

Some in the water, and some strolling about the grounds. Some strange looking fellows, black with red faces, were usually hanging out at in the grass in front of our building, and they were NOT afraid of people.

The resort was just so pretty, I could have happily taken photos for HOURS. But it was time for the guys to get their fannies moving, so I went back to the villa to wake them up. This might take food as a bribe.

The Flying Blue code really did work. We used it, and had a (guess what?) Dodge Journey. A bit smaller than our Chevy Traverse, but very comfortable for the week. :goodvibes

Come to think of it, we bought the Traverse after having rented it for a week on our previous WDW trip.

And speaking of stalkers, I'm starting to worry now. Your unit is directly above the unit we had in March... :lmao:

Good to know about the KLM code. I may have to resort to it on a future trip (and yes, I am currently working at batting my eyelashes and cooing to the big guy, so I can book another August getaway when Jetblue releases their schedule ;) ). National lets you pick your vehicle, right?

LMAO, I was was looking back at your photos from March and was thinking.....what a co-incidence that you took pictures of Spas building 4. Then DUH! It clicks in.....that's where YOU must have stayed :thumbsup2. And I couldn't help but think that was one bizarre fluke. Thankfully it wasn't the SAME unit or that would have been just way too weird, even for my weirdness scale! (which is pretty broad at the best of times :rotfl:)

I was surprised, too, that the table only sat four.

We usually get a place that sleeps eight or more, and six chairs seems to be the standard for 2 BRs, four for 1 BRs. I don't think we've ever stayed in a place with a studio; we always get at least one bedroom and when we're getting a 2 BR usually get a dedicated. All the three bedrooms we've been in were combined 1 & 2 BRs, which have seating for 10 at two different tables.

The only time we've ever had a table that sat eight on vacation was in 5 br place that slept 13 -- but the kids liked sitting at the taller table that sat four or at the bar, so I'm not sure we ever all sat at the one table that would have fit us. :rolleyes:

We drove past Summer Bay on our way to Showcase of Citrus. It was very humbling to see such a lovely looking resort that has suffered so badly at the hand of nature.

It's unnerving. I knew sinkholes were an issue in Florida, and that Orlando is either dead in or on the edge of "sinkhole alley" (which, like tornado alley, varies in size depending on who you ask), but it's a lot harder to play "lalala, can't hear you!" when a resort that I've actually researched gets hit with one! :sad1:

From all I've heard, Summer Bay is a well-run resort, and, while of course front desk staff was overrun and this was a very unusual circumstance, they seemed to have handled it well. And I'm so thankful that everyone got out alive. Which I think is partly due to the fact that the closest (or only) security guard kept his head, figured out what was going on in the early stages, ran into the collapsing building, and started herding people out and helping them through windows and the like. :thumbsup2

I LOVE reading your trip reports! :love: This is my first time posting but I have read all of them since joining the DIS.

You are giving me so many ideas of things to do outside of the parks when we take our first family trip to Orlando for 12 days next June. I will definitely check some of these out.

I hope you don't mind if I ask a question or two here or there as I start making plans for our trip.

I was surprised, too, that the table only sat four. Now granted, I am sure most folks wouldn't put more than 6 people in that unit (unless they use the pullout.... but I would think that would be a FULL villa with that many bodies, luggage, etc.) and then there's seating for two more at the adjacent breakfast bar, but it still seemed like a strange choice. We wondered if that's why they went with the less plush style of chairs in the living area....making them a little more functional then a standard "easy chair" if they needed to be pulled up to the table for dining?

Umm, just wanted to point out that there are actually 6 chairs for the table. The one at the console table by the door is a match (you see it in your pictures), and there should be a sixth beside the entertainment unit in the living room (don't think it shows in your pic; kind of tucked into the corner). We have comfortably sat 6 at that table, but the 7th gets a bit difficult as the lucky #7 gets to sit on one of the tall breakfast stools, and real estate at the table starts to get a bit tight. Unfortunately for OUR Jake (youngest nephew) that was his plight as the smallest of the 7...

Actually this kind of speaks to your comment about the versatility of the unit. Just about anything you need is close at hand, you just have to stop and think for a second. I would also bet that the resort would be happy to bring in an extra chair or two if you had a full complement of 8.

Okay, all caught up! And I just want to say that you have a really good photographic eye. Your morning walkabout photos are da bomb. Makes me feel like I'm back there again. But I'm not there... :sad:

Seriously, thanks for the flashbacks!

Also, it is nice to see the ponds and fountains fully functional. Many don't realize that these are more than just pretty features; they are also storm water management. When we go in March water levels are generally down, sometimes a couple of feet, and fountains may be turned off if there isn't enough water to run them. It looks so much better with the water levels higher.

As for your red faced ducks (we named them turduckins due to their size), we had one nesting just off our balcony last trip. She had as many as 8 eggs in there, although some got poached the last night there. We were hoping to wake up one morning to a new brood, but wasn't to be. Interesting that mama only sat on the nest at night when it was cold; I guess Florida is warm enough during the day that eggs don't need full time attention.

The only time we've ever had a table that sat eight on vacation was in 5 br place that slept 13 -- but the kids liked sitting at the taller table that sat four or at the bar, so I'm not sure we ever all sat at the one table that would have fit us. :rolleyes:

lol....doesn't that figure? :lmao:

I LOVE reading your trip reports! :love: This is my first time posting but I have read all of them since joining the DIS.

You are giving me so many ideas of things to do outside of the parks when we take our first family trip to Orlando for 12 days next June. I will definitely check some of these out.

I hope you don't mind if I ask a question or two here or there as I start making plans for our trip.

Thanks for the kind compliments :goodvibes . I am glad you are finding the trip reports helpful. And absolutely, if you have any questions, ask away! (don't be shy!)

Umm, just wanted to point out that there are actually 6 chairs for the table. The one at the console table by the door is a match (you see it in your pictures), and there should be a sixth beside the entertainment unit in the living room (don't think it shows in your pic; kind of tucked into the corner). We have comfortably sat 6 at that table, but the 7th gets a bit difficult as the lucky #7 gets to sit on one of the tall breakfast stools, and real estate at the table starts to get a bit tight. Unfortunately for OUR Jake (youngest nephew) that was his plight as the smallest of the 7...

Actually this kind of speaks to your comment about the versatility of the unit. Just about anything you need is close at hand, you just have to stop and think for a second. I would also bet that the resort would be happy to bring in an extra chair or two if you had a full complement of 8.

You are absolutely right!!! I had totally forgotten about the chair in the corner (we actually commented on it when we arrived, and wondered what it was for). I completely didn't notice that the desk chair was a match to the dining set either, but now it all makes perfect sense.

Its amazing what we don't notice when we're just a small family of 3. We always tend to have more than what we need no matter where we go (because almost everything, everywhere is set up for a standard of 4 people at minimum).

Kudos to you for being able to vacation with your relatives. You are a better man than me!!! :worship: The idea of sharing a villa with any of my family members (with the exception of my mom) makes me want to throw myself to the alligators at Gatorland :rolleyes1 .

Okay, all caught up! And I just want to say that you have a really good photographic eye. Your morning walkabout photos are da bomb. Makes me feel like I'm back there again. But I'm not there... :sad:

Seriously, thanks for the flashbacks!

Also, it is nice to see the ponds and fountains fully functional. Many don't realize that these are more than just pretty features; they are also storm water management. When we go in March water levels are generally down, sometimes a couple of feet, and fountains may be turned off if there isn't enough water to run them. It looks so much better with the water levels higher.

As for your red faced ducks (we named them turduckins due to their size), we had one nesting just off our balcony last trip. She had as many as 8 eggs in there, although some got poached the last night there. We were hoping to wake up one morning to a new brood, but wasn't to be. Interesting that mama only sat on the nest at night when it was cold; I guess Florida is warm enough during the day that eggs don't need full time attention.

You are just FULL of fantastic info :thumbsup2 . Here I thought the fountains were just an effort in property beautification :) . Apparently they have had lots of rain down there this summer....one lady we chatted with said it had rained every day for three months....so that likely explains why the water is higher.

For those who want to see a photo of those homely red-marked ducks, here's one:

The "regular" ducks seemed to stick close to (or would be found swimming in) the various little lakes and ponds around the property, but these guys meandered all around the grounds. Such unusual markings on their faces!

I'm loving your trip report Gina. You sure have made me interested in Vistana. I even took a gander at some resale timeshare prices last night:rolleyes1. You know me, always planning down the road.;)

Would you ever consider buying into an offsite property? I think for me I like to try all kinds of different places so wouldn't want to be locked in to one place. But it's tempting sometimes. We'll probably always end up going to Florida in some form or another, and I often think it would make more sense to just buy in somewhere. But for now, I don't want to limit my options I guess.

I'm loving your trip report Gina. You sure have made me interested in Vistana. I even took a gander at some resale timeshare prices last night:rolleyes1. You know me, always planning down the road.;)

Would you ever consider buying into an offsite property? I think for me I like to try all kinds of different places so wouldn't want to be locked in to one place. But it's tempting sometimes. We'll probably always end up going to Florida in some form or another, and I often think it would make more sense to just buy in somewhere. But for now, I don't want to limit my options I guess.

Ya know, you could always look into trying it out the last week of August next year (that's when we hope to go back). It would be lovely to enjoy a Long Island iced tea with a friend in a lounger by the pool ;) .

In all seriousness, we have many times talked about the potential value of purchasing a timeshare vs. individual bookings for each trip. That said, while we have very much enjoyed some of the places we have stayed (such as Westgate Lakes) we hadn't really "fallen in love" with one particular property, so to speak.

But I must admit......staying at the Vistana has changed that.

None of us even want to consider a different resort for future trips. It really had everything that we have ever wanted in a resort property....I can't think of a single thing that was lacking. It had the right "feel". The villa had all the right amenities. It was in our desired location. It was that "vacation" experience we had been seeking. Now....we got a super cheap rate through our JetBlue package (after price of $120 per night, taxes included) which isn't that much more than a week of maintenance fees for owners, I don't think (bankr63 can correct me if I'm wrong). So if we could continue to stay that economically (remember that included daily housekeeping too, which the owners don't get) then I would be happy as a "renter" for the rest of my life. Something tells me, though, that we may not get that lucky again as far as the room rate goes.

bankr63 offered (way, way back when!) to give me a tutorial on how to purchase Vistana for pennies vs. what Sheraton would sell. I may have to take him up on the offer for more details. Its worth weighing the options.

Steve has been not-so-jokingly tossing out the suggestion that we both apply for jobs there :lmao:. He wants to work one of the security booths and he thinks I would be a natural for their customer service desk. He was also working out Plan B, which involves winning the lottery and then purchasing 52 weeks in Spas and just living at the resort on a permanent basis. A client of the firm that I work for won 3.3 million last August playing lotto 649, so I guess its technically possible......if we actually every bought lottery tickets :lmao: .

For breakfast, Steve and I headed to the Marketplace (he had roused himself without my intervention, and was showered and ready to go), which was super conveniently located just a stones throw away from our building. Not only did it offer a selection of grocery items, health and beauty aids, alcohol, clothing and gift items, it also featured a full service deli and a Starbucks. We had noticed (the previous day) on the sign outside that they offered breakfast sandwiches at the Starbucks/deli, so I figured wed give them a whirl. We had vowed to eat less substantial breakfasts on this trip (too many morning meals spent at buffets on previous trips had us feeling rather bloated by mid-vacation) so a breakfast sandwich seemed just about right. We had the fridge stocked with healthy beverages in the villa (orange juice and milk) from our expedition to Walmart the day prior, and a supply of Tim Hortons coffee for brewing our favourite taste of home, so we didnt have to pick up anything to drink with the sandwiches.

For $3.99 each ($4.25 with tax), we could select from either a bagel (any flavour), a croissant or an English muffin, add egg and cheese, and our choice of sausage, bacon or ham. While the friendly staff prepared our order, we explored the offerings of the Marketplace.

With our bag of sandwiches in hand, we headed back to the villa to wake the boy. As I predicted, it was much easier to get him moving with the smell of sausage wafting past his nostrils.

I waited too long to get the pic, and when I did, Steve's bagel sandwich was gone-zo. But I fed him. I promise. :rotfl:

Breakfast was good. Really good. Happy family all around. :banana:

Fed and dressed, the boy was eager to embark on his shopping adventures......so we piled into the Jeep and made the short trek to the days first stop: the Florida Mall.

While we knew we were in for a full mall tour before we were done, we also knew that the first stop had to be one place, and one place only for our basketball-lovin boy:

Remember when I said hes the girl Ill never have? Well then, it shouldnt surprise you when he made a beeline for this section of the store:

A pair of basketball shoes (in his school colours...very important), new basketball socks, and a pair of trainers later.........we continued our retail therapy at the remainder of the stores. Hollister. Champs. All the places we dont have at home. Steve got a couple of pair of new sunglasses from one of the little kiosks. I am sure the stock market must have gone up that day, as Jake in particular worked diligently to stimulate the Florida economy.

Following the Florida Mall, the next stop on Jakes retail wish-list was the Lake Buena Vista Factory Outlet stores. En route, we stopped at Popeyes (another fast food joint we enjoy but dont have in our little corner of Canada) for lunch but for some reason, I missed getting any photos (bad mother). After an appropriate amount of Cajun-inspired sustenance (cause shopping can work up quite an appetite, you know) we arrived at our second stop of the day.

This was our first visit to these outlets. We are loyal fans of the Premium Outlet malls (both locations). But since this mall was so very close to our resort, there was no reason not to give it a whirl. Jake had spotted an Under Armor logo on the signage, so we knew if they had nothing more that appealed to him, hed still be happy.

Overall, it was a very successful outing. Jake and Steve both snagged some GREAT deals at Under Armour. I got a cheap pair of new Crocs. We sampled chocolates at the Lindt outlet. We checked out several other stores as well as we worked our way from one end to the other.

We made the two-minute drive back to the resort and unloaded all our purchases of the day.

With an hour or two to spare before would embark in search of dinner, we opted to take in one of the activities hosted by the FUN team at the Vistana.

Did I hear someone yell "BINGO"?

You really should warn a girl before you put big scary pictures of spiders in your trip report ;) ;) I am really enjoying your review (beside the spider pictures ;) ) Can't wait for more!

I'm so excited to find your TR.....I had actually thought about it while we were in FL. That's puts me into the weird category also.

Just a little bit of info on the timeshare purchase discussion. I've looked very seriously into making a purchase for our family...we are in FL every year and have been since 2005. Once you know how to find the deals on renting a villa it makes no sense at all to buy in. This trip I got 2 weeks at the Marriott Grande Vista for $1080(could have had it for $1000 but I opted to go through Ebay for security) . You would have to pay more than that in maintenance fees and by renting you have no life long commitment to ownership. We will continue to rent and probably not ever purchase.

That storm on the 24th was the absolute worst of the 2 weeks we were there. In fact, there was far less rain and humidity than usual. We even found a couple of our pools days could have been a little hotter....can't believe I said that but true:rotfl:

We silmuposted yesterday, so I'm going to go back to oooh and ahhh over Vistana. It's a pretty resort. :) I love the waterfall in the pool (okay, I pretty much love ANY waterfall in a pool), and I didn't know they had that. :thumbsup2 Didn't know they had surrey bikes, either. :cool2: And I always approve of a basketball court -- you'd think they're cheap enough they'd be everywhere, especially since you can pair them with a tennis court but, at least in our system, they're kind of unusual. :confused3

Didn't see any in your pics, but I'm guessing the red-faced ducks are feral muscovy. They're considered an invasive species in the US and a nuisance in Florida, so it's legal to chase them off or to shake the eggs in the nest to ensure there are no new ones. The only bird I ever let my kids chase (and the only one they ever wanted to) was Canadian geese, but of course muscovys are no problem here (they're native to South American and so much more of an issue in Florida or Texas).

Umm, just wanted to point out that there are actually 6 chairs for the table.

Good to know. :thumbsup2

Although with my broad shouldered brood, not sure we'd be happy sitting six at that round table!

For those who want to see a photo of those homely red-marked ducks, here's one:

I guessed rightly; that's a feral muscovy. I agree that they're homely, but OTOH people definitely notice them!

bankr63 offered (way, way back when!) to give me a tutorial on how to purchase Vistana for pennies vs. what Sheraton would sell. I may have to take him up on the offer for more details. Its worth weighing the options.

Seconding bankr63 that resale is the way to go. I don't know how Sheraton works, but our resale purchase includes an RCI membership (whether we want it or not :p), which gives you access to a lot of good deals, although admittedly they're mostly offseason. :) For us, having access to other owners we can rent from and having access to RCI's cash deals has definitely paid for our investment many times over. But it depends on how much your initial investment and yearly fees are; people who own DVC, for instance, get a good deal when they're staying at Disney, but lose money just about every time they trade out, and their RCI membership doesn't give them access to the cash deals. :sad2:

Which last is really peculiar, I think -- everywhere else I've looked into that comes with an RCI membership, it's the same sort of membership we have. Most RCI cash deals are on par with what you'll find for a rental, but you get that added level of security of dealing with RCI rather than dealing with an individual. :) And it's much cheaper to trade INTO a DVC unit than it is to own there, so owning DVC is definitely not the cheapest way of staying there. But compared even to Disney discount prices, owning DVC is a huge savings for people who go often enough to justify it. And now I'm wandering. My original point was just that there's considerable variety in costs and benefits with timeshares, so research the particular one you're interested in.

The Market Place looks very roomy and comfortable compared to many a Disney equivalent. I hadn't consciously thought of the Disney resort stores as crowded, but apparently my subconscious noticed a time or two. Or maybe it's just that are more low displays in that shot, I dunno.

You really should warn a girl before you put big scary pictures of spiders in your trip report

Sorry about that; my fault. :blush: But, in terms of the face, it's a very "Charlotte of Charlotte's Web" looking spider, don't you think? Kinda benign somehow.

Or not. :p I did think about going back and putting in a warning a while after I posted; now I'm just trying to justify my laziness. :rolleyes:

Gina you're doing a great job of advertising the Vistana, the grounds are beautiful and the Marketplace looks good too :thumbsup2

Really enjoying your report, you certainly seem to be having the promised leisure time :goodvibes

You really should warn a girl before you put big scary pictures of spiders in your trip report ;) ;) I am really enjoying your review (beside the spider pictures ;) ) Can't wait for more!

lol, its good to know someone else is creeped out by spiders. I hate to sound like a big chicken, but I abhor bugs of any kind. shalom, behave yourself from here on out!!! No more scaring my readers ;) :rotfl: .

I'm so excited to find your TR.....I had actually thought about it while we were in FL. That's puts me into the weird category also.

Just a little bit of info on the timeshare purchase discussion. I've looked very seriously into making a purchase for our family...we are in FL every year and have been since 2005. Once you know how to find the deals on renting a villa it makes no sense at all to buy in. This trip I got 2 weeks at the Marriott Grande Vista for $1080(could have had it for $1000 but I opted to go through Ebay for security) . You would have to pay more than that in maintenance fees and by renting you have no life long commitment to ownership. We will continue to rent and probably not ever purchase.

That storm on the 24th was the absolute worst of the 2 weeks we were there. In fact, there was far less rain and humidity than usual. We even found a couple of our pools days could have been a little hotter....can't believe I said that but true:rotfl:

lol, there's lots of room for more friends in my weirdness club. Glad to hear you were thinking of me while you were on your vacation, 'cause I was actually thinking of YOU and wondering how your trip was going and how you were enjoying the Grande Vista :) .

I definitely hear what you are saying about the whole timeshare ownership thing ::yes:: . We would definitely have to do more pondering before we ever decided to move forward with a purchase. There are so many pros and cons to both sides to consider!

We did not find the weather to be very oppressive on most days, either. Hot, yes, but not nearly as humid as we had expected. The day we left was getting pretty humid, but it was by far the worst day of the week (and since we were headed for the airport by then, it really was not an issue). No wishing for it to be warmer....DH and DS were certainly hot enough :rolleyes2 ... but it was very bearable overall. And incredible weather! So much sun and so little rain, except for a couple of afternoon thunderstorms early in our week. We could not have asked for better!!!

The Market Place looks very roomy and comfortable compared to many a Disney equivalent. I hadn't consciously thought of the Disney resort stores as crowded, but apparently my subconscious noticed a time or two. Or maybe it's just that are more low displays in that shot, I dunno.

The Marketplace was really an excellent little store. And the best thing of all....they always had a fresh supply of Krispy Kreme donuts :cloud9: . Even the chocolate covered ones with the vanilla cream inside :worship: . I am pathetic, I know :rolleyes1 .

Gina you're doing a great job of advertising the Vistana, the grounds are beautiful and the Marketplace looks good too :thumbsup2

Really enjoying your report, you certainly seem to be having the promised leisure time :goodvibes

Thank you :goodvibes . And yep, for those first couple of days it was wonderful to keep things low key and very go-with-the-flow. We kicked things up a notch on the Monday of our visit....which you will hear about soon :) ... so stay tuned!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter