Rose Bowl game/parade (January 1st, 2024)

Like watching the parade, don't care about the football game. The floats are the best part, the people announcing usually are reading from a prepared notebook and really don't seem to know anything about them. We were visiting relatives one year who lived near the parade and got to see it in person. The floats covered with live flowers/plants are amazing to see in person and on TV you don't get a sense of the details involved in making them look authentic. Occasionally there are shows about how the floats are built which is fascinating to watch.

Will Disboarders that are watching the parade, watch it on ABC or NBC this year? I'm curious if anyone thinks one channel does it better than the other.

I usually watch some of both. As I recall from prior years, one network usually has a better view of the parade while the other got stuck broadcasting from an area where the floats have to turn a sharp corner. It seems they sometimes pick 2 announcers who don't know each other or have nothing in common and then they try to make awkward conversation when not reading from the prepared notebook about the various floats/bands.

The TV ads seem mostly about lawyers asking you to join some lawsuit or taking some prescription drug, all of which I have on mute.........LOL.

I usually watch some of both. As I recall from prior years, one network usually has a better view of the parade while the other got stuck broadcasting from an area where the floats have to turn a sharp corner. It seems they sometimes pick 2 announcers who don't know each other or have nothing in common and then they try to make awkward conversation when not reading from the prepared notebook about the various floats/bands.

The TV ads seem mostly about lawyers asking you to join some lawsuit or taking some prescription drug, all of which I have on mute.........LOL.
Where would we be without these important ads on TV ;)

And then people wonder why medication costs so much. They must spend MILLIONS on TV ads. Honestly, you can't just go buy those drugs like toothpaste or laundry detergent. Only your doctor can write a prescription for them and likely waste a lot of their time explaining to their patients while that drug is not appropriate for them.

Or the ads asking for a donation to something. Why are all of those $19/month? Is there some limit due to tax laws, hard to believe it is just a coincidence they all ask for the same amount.

And then people wonder why medication costs so much. They must spend MILLIONS on TV ads. Honestly, you can't just go buy those drugs like toothpaste or laundry detergent. Only your doctor can write a prescription for them and likely waste a lot of their time explaining to their patients while that drug is not appropriate for them.
I drive my doctor crazy asking about all the pills they push on TV … but in some seriousness … my Doc appreciates me asking about dosages in particular and different treatment options :)

Hmmm, have I just forgotten or is the “singing” new to the parade? They all sound awful, definitely not impressed. I just want the floats and the bands. Not looking forward to the commercials, couldnt find HGTV. Watching on ABC, nice to see Hannah Storm again. Not familiar with Kevin.

We always watch the parade. We’re recording it. Now I “know” someone who is involved in it - China Expat! Makes it more interesting. I remember watching the parade for President Obama and a Disboard member - MEH was marching in the parade. And I saw her! About those drug commercials- we stopped watching the American nightly news because they pushed those drugs all the time!

Hmmm, have I just forgotten or is the “singing” new to the parade? They all sound awful, definitely not impressed. I just want the floats and the bands. Not looking forward to the commercials, couldnt find HGTV. Watching on ABC, nice to see Hannah Storm again. Not familiar with Kevin.
They sort of turned it into the performance based Macy's parade so far. Not a fan. Hope it improves.

I turned on the parade, and will watch for a specific float that a family member has been documenting all week for their work.

The opening vocals were enough to make me consider turning it off. Horrendous.
I hope it wasn’t a float we missed seeing because of commercials, or when they broke away from the actual parade to show how one was put together. I seem to remember an actual show a couple years ago that showed how they were made. It was interesting but I don’t want to miss seeing the floats.

The floats are spectacular but they’re not showing the marching bands. We caught a glimpse of one that had amazing choreography as well as playing their instruments. We’re watching NBC. DH just found the parade on YouTube also.

The floats are spectacular but they’re not showing the marching bands. We caught a glimpse of one that had amazing choreography as well as playing their instruments. We’re watching NBC. DH just found the parade on YouTube also.
What channel? I'm seeing the bands.

I liked it when HGTV used to show it commercial free. I managed to find it on Great American Family. They have Leeza Gibbons hosting, and they're showing the parade without ads.

If I had to watch it on network TV, I'm not sure I would watch it. Too many commercials and unnecessary chitchat.

I’m watching ABC, Hannah Storm is one of the commentators. They are doing well at showing the bands, and letting us hear them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter