Royal Caribbean calls its collection of new health protocols, "The Royal Promise"

nmackovski

Earning My Ears
When Royal Caribbean restarts cruises with Quantum of the Seas in Singapore, the cruise ship will feature enhancements meant to contain, treat, and isolate any possible COVID-19 threats.

Royal Caribbean has introduced new health protocols known as the Royal Promise, which also include upgrades and enhancements to its cruise ships
  • Royal Caribbean ships will sail with fewer guests onboard, no more than 50% of our usual capacity.
  • Face masks are required in indoor and outdoor spaces, with some exceptions. In restaurants, cafes, bars or lounges, seated guests may eat and drink without masks. Masks should not be worn during strenuous exercise, but are required for light workouts. You do not need to wear a mask in your stateroom or on your balcony. Any time you remove your mask, take care to maintain physical distance of at least 2 meters (6 feet) between your travel party and others.
  • Now you can watch the muster video from the comfort of your in-stateroom television.
  • Pools are limited to 50% capacity to allow for physical distancing.
  • Face masks are required in all areas of the pool deck unless you’re in the water, where you should continue to observe physical distancing
  • Water activities do not require face masks while riding, but need to be worn while waiting in line.
  • All self-service ice cream machines will be staffed by crew members.
  • Enjoy some exercise on the jogging track during dedicated mask-free hours.
  • Indoor venues are limited to 50% capacity with floor markers and directional signage to safely guide you.
  • Elevators are limited to four people at a time or your travel group only. Stairs are available as usual and railings are cleaned frequently.
  • Royal Caribbean has also added more doctors and nurses in their shipboard Medical Centers
  • The medical center itself has been redesigned into two separate zones, including a dedicated Controlled Care Unit for the management of infectious diseases. Each zone is equipped with its own entrance, critical care beds, restrooms, and lab collection.
Stay safe.

All details can be found here:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/royal-promise

Face masks are required in all areas of the pool deck unless you’re in the water, where you should continue to observe physical distancing
I'm a huge proponent of masks, and until this thing is under control, I believe they should be mandated.

That being said, I'm not sure how this will work on a water slide. Wear a slide while standing in line to go down the slide? OK. Then what do you do with the mask? Stuff it inside your swimsuit? Wear it while sliding (and hope it doesn't blow off)? And then, when you reach the bottom, what do you do? Put on the soggy mask?

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Royal will hand out disposable masks for you to wear in preparation to ride, then dispose at the top. Then at the bottom, issue you a new one.

I'm a huge proponent of masks, and until this thing is under control, I believe they should be mandated.

That being said, I'm not sure how this will work on a water slide. Wear a slide while standing in line to go down the slide? OK. Then what do you do with the mask? Stuff it inside your swimsuit? Wear it while sliding (and hope it doesn't blow off)? And then, when you reach the bottom, what do you do? Put on the soggy mask?

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Royal will hand out disposable masks for you to wear in preparation to ride, then dispose at the top. Then at the bottom, issue you a new one.

I had the exact same question (and idea) in my mind.

Other than that, this is pretty reasonable and this is how I expect things to be in 2021.

Last edited:

This is very thorough info from Royal! Particularly the link explaining the air filtration system and cleaning procedures.

I'm interested to hear from Disney. I'd like to know about independent excursions. Are they allowed? The 50% capacity is going to be a headache on all cruises. What about shows - every other row off-limits? Does that include buffet area? And what about kids' clubs? And what age must wear masks - 2+? And physical distance in pools? Guess that means 2 people in a Disney pool. :) Still too many questions and nothing forthcoming from Disney.

At this point I'm so, so sorry we have a Disney cruise booked (non-refundable deposit, ugh!) but hoping by August things will be better?! I think cruising with masks is really going to be crappy. (And yes, we follow all the guidelines and always wear our masks.)

Last edited:
Happy to get some details and straight info! It all looks promising for sure.

The only thing that keeps me on the fence is the mask wearing on deck. I completely understand masks in indoor venues and would expect that, but I don't know if I can do masks out on deck all the time. If the lounge chairs were distanced and you were just laying out/sitting with your party, I don't completely see the need for them, unless you get up to move around. Especially with a 50% capacity. And do you have to be fully in the pool, or can you sit on the edge with a drink? DH & I like to do that quite a bit. Do you need a mask then? Still lots of "little detail" questions, and probably might not know a lot of answers until people are actually sailing again, but happy to see movement!

Although, if they say no masks while eating or drinking, this may just make their drink sales skyrocket. Those cocktail servers will be hopping! :laughing:

Royal just gave me ten good reasons not to cruise in the near future.

You likely won't be cruising at all then since all lines will probably have similar restrictions. At this point, I'd rather go to an island for a week. Even Disney parks sound horrendous having to wear a mask all day. At least we finally have OPTIONS as places open.

I absolutely love, love, LOVE the 50% capacity protocol.
With 50% capacity I wouldn't care about any other ones, I'd be so happy. Hell, I'll even wear a mask in the aquaduck & eat all the meals in our SR.
Yes, I hate crowds, I'm an introvert and a misanthrope. But I love cruising.
Do it DCL!!!

Happy to get some details and straight info! It all looks promising for sure.

The only thing that keeps me on the fence is the mask wearing on deck. I completely understand masks in indoor venues and would expect that, but I don't know if I can do masks out on deck all the time. If the lounge chairs were distanced and you were just laying out/sitting with your party, I don't completely see the need for them, unless you get up to move around. Especially with a 50% capacity. And do you have to be fully in the pool, or can you sit on the edge with a drink? DH & I like to do that quite a bit. Do you need a mask then? Still lots of "little detail" questions, and probably might not know a lot of answers until people are actually sailing again, but happy to see movement!

Although, if they say no masks while eating or drinking, this may just make their drink sales skyrocket. Those cocktail servers will be hopping! :laughing:
This is really my only sticking point too, on deck while in a lounger? Uh......boy the drink servers will love us too :rotfl2:

You likely won't be cruising at all then since all lines will probably have similar restrictions. At this point, I'd rather go to an island for a week. Even Disney parks sound horrendous having to wear a mask all day. At least we finally have OPTIONS as places open.
Most likely not if masks are required outdoors. We spent 12 days in Orlando in August, but the trade-off was lower crowds. I certainly wouldn't do it on a Caribbean cruise. If I got a really good deal on a European cruise with a unique itinerary I might consider it.

I absolutely love, love, LOVE the 50% capacity protocol.
With 50% capacity I wouldn't care about any other ones, I'd be so happy. Hell, I'll even wear a mask in the aquaduck & eat all the meals in our SR.
Yes, I hate crowds, I'm an introvert and a misanthrope. But I love cruising.
Do it DCL!!!

While I also would love it to be uncrowded, I’d worry that you’d show up to a lot of bars/shows/pools and be told sorry at capacity, you’ll have to wait. I don’t know what 50% pool capacity would be, but don’t want to stand next to it or the kids club and wait for a turn.

I fully support masks and making things safe, and this will be something we‘ll have to see in practice. I just can’t see spending $8k for a cruise with really limited experience.

My guess is that on a cruise out of Singapore might not be an option anyway, and that's where these protocols are testing.

I believe that was protocol for the MSC cruises out of Europe so was wondering if that was going to be a thing here (not Singapore). Most of the rest of the protocols were not unexpected.

Last edited:
Very interesting to read this. My greatest concern is the "Safe, Timely Return Home" section with extremely vague information on transport protocols of how they will get you home if you test positive during the cruise.

None of us picture ourselves being the one who will get sick when we are dreaming of our upcoming vacation; but it will likely happen to someone. It sounds like if you test positive you may be removed from the ship during the cruise. If so it does not disclose the number of days (1 day? 7 days? 14 days?) that you and your family will be stranded, where you will be housed, and then what means of transportation will get you back to your home country. Sounds like a total loss of control over yourself and your family if this happens.

Also mentions contact tracing on the ship so if you are near someone else who tests positive does this mean you are taken off the ship or isolating in your stateroom?

If I get Covid on the ship lock me in my room but do not drop me off in another country under a foreign government's control.

Safe, Timely Return Home
In the event a guest or crew member tests positive while we’re sailing. Royal Caribbean has partnered with the local authorities to develop transport protocols to get you home safely.

I had the exact same question (and idea) in my mind.

Othe than that, this is pretty reasonable and this is how I expect things to be in 2021.
I don’t believe that they will hand you a mask although I can see them handing out Ziploc bags to keep your mask dry as you go down.
But if somebody is screaming on their way down and expelling the amount of vocal force as the choir members had much earlier this year which was considered a super spreader event. It’s been a while since I’ve been on a waterslide but don’t you have the wind in your face as you’re going down quickly? Are we kind of inhaling other peoples screens as we go down behind them?

Carry a ziploc bag. I always keep my phone in one anyway. Certainly a mask will fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter