Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would guess that Disney/UO was already aware that they would need to submit a plan for reopening and as already have this mostly ready present, especially since the have reached an agreement with the labor union. All this is definitely progress!
Heck your good he is my governor and I am yet to get through an entire news conference!

I listened to most if the press conference, I agree that man can definitely talk! But, I was actually pretty impressed with him and how Florida has handled the situation.

I am booked for July 14 w DS9 and DD14 - SHE really doesn't like the mask, but here in nyc, we must wear it - she won't wear it in wdw, and I wouldn't force her to (in the summer)
We would just cancel if mandatory
Son is on spectrum and has sensory issues, so he really doesn't like the mask !

according to the agreement reached between Disney and the STCU (union) masks are mandatory for both guests and CM's. How long this will be a requirement is anyone's guess, but for anyone visiting soon after the parks open masks will be mandatory.

The measures include social distancing practices, increased cleaning and mandatory masks for workers and guests, according to a statement from the Service Trades Council Union (STCU), which represents about 43,000 workers at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disney-reaches-deal-walt-disney-193344468.html

Last edited:
I think it is more than just the "M" situation when it comes to kids. The younger ones especially will WILL whine about that and
I thought about this the other day. How disappointed will the kids be (and how will they "handle" it in the hot Florida sun) when:
1) "No we can't go to Tom Sawyer's Island - it's closed"
2) "No, we can't go see Cinderella, she isn't home today"
3) "No, we can't go see the Tiki Birds, we aren't allowed to go inside"
4) "I know you're hot, but we have to eat outside right now"
5) "I know you are tired, but the line to get on the bus is really long because they are only letting on half the people"

So is it worth to try and vacation with them when disappointment and "rules" will be around every corner?

Why would TSI be closed? That’s probably the easiest place on property to socially distanced. Close the caves and leave the rest open. Have extra CMs wiping down the guns and stuff on the forts at the end or just close the fort too, but geeze that’s probably where I’d want to hang out most after this.

I have a 10 year old and 5 year old and if I ask them to wear a mask they will and they don't usually whine about it, but these are generally for short periods of time. I could see wearing a mask in Disney in the summer if we were going for just a day or two, but our next vacation is supposed to be 10 days at the end of August and I just don't think that is reasonable to ask kids to wear one every day for that amount of time in the heat.

That's why masks are needed, you can't enforce 6 foot distances in too many places at WDW. That said some doctors offices are having you wait in your car. You'll be called or texted when it's time to go to an exam room. We had to take our dog to our vet. We waited in our car. An employee took our dog from our car to the vet. The vet talked to us on our phone. There are things business can do to reduce physical interaction.
My vet is operating the same way. They made sure to transfer me to the desk to provide my CC for payment of the bill before they brought my dog back out to my car. :D

That's why masks are needed, you can't enforce 6 foot distances in too many places at WDW. That said some doctors offices are having you wait in your car. You'll be called or texted when it's time to go to an exam room. We had to take our dog to our vet. We waited in our car. An employee took our dog from our car to the vet. The vet talked to us on our phone. There are things business can do to reduce physical interaction.
And I think that is fine .. in the short term, and I am sure some businesses can adjust. But it will get unsustainable for people and for businesses (because of the costs involved) after a while as things inevitably get busier.

Why would TSI be closed? That’s probably the easiest place on property to socially distanced. Close the caves and leave the rest open. Have extra CMs wiping down the guns and stuff on the forts at the end or just close the fort too, but geeze that’s probably where I’d want to hang out most after this.
To be socially distant on those rafts, they would have to carry about maybe 4 people? :)

Last edited:
I have a 10 year old and 5 year old and if I ask them to wear a mask they will and they don't usually whine about it, but these are generally for short periods of time. I could see wearing a mask in Disney in the summer if we were going for just a day or two, but our next vacation is supposed to be 10 days at the end of August and I just don't think that is reasonable to ask kids to wear one every day for that amount of time in the heat.
I have seen many parents such as yourself bringing up their children’s reaction, cooperation and ability to enjoy their vacation
With the restrictions and I just have a question? Have you thought about yourself in all this? Can you enjoy your vacation worried about them touching something wearing a mask social distancing in lines? I just think it would ruin parents vacation because instead of enjoying the Magic you can’t let go of the virus! Please know this isn’t critism and I respect all the time parents are going to in considering how this will affect their kids but isn’t at some point your vacation too? Have you thought about how you can get a little enjoyment while your there

Sure, I wasn't really referring to the disappointment or the potentials tantrums while there. I was just more referring to just "why go .. if half the stuff they would WANT to do is just impossible." My kids too have been many times already, so they will be happy with what they can do, I am also talking about MY disappointment by having to tell them "Nope" around every corner. At home and at school kids are told "can't do that" around every corner. I like vacations to be a little more freedom for them. I think a "virus-mode" theme park will just be more of "don't touch that, cant' do that, that isn't open" .. too much negative and not enough positive.

If we were local, or was less than a day drive away, sure, let's put on the masks, go to WDW and see what we can do, but to plan (and PAY ) for a "normal" vacation when it won't even be close to that. Nah. I think I'm all in on passing .. even if Disney is (by some miracle) open on June 16th.

And besides, like people have mentioned above. We have ZERO details of what the parks will be like, so hard to plan and prepare and look forward to a trip that (for me) is only a month away and may be forcibly cancelled anyway.

Just so you know, you and 60 days of US scientific data and actual stats have brought me around to your viewpoint.

At some point, the folks that have to accept the risk or not are the people at lethal risk...and right now, 60 days of US stats have clearly shown who those folks are, and the pool is much more limited than we thought.

Maybe it's b/c I developed food allergies later in life, but with one being pretty violent now, I damn well am always weighing the risk of going to a restaurant or not, and am very choosy about which ones I go to or order from. And I now avoid 90% of restaurants and 90% of dishes, and I carry allergy pills and an epi when I go...and I've taken on my own personal food prep to a greater degree than ever. Yet, I still allow my family to get foods I can't eat (I even shop for them at the store), and get takeout from places I can't go, b/c I don't want them to miss out on my behalf. I can't go to Indian restaurants. I can't go to comfort food restaurants. I can't eat buffets. And it's all good, and I don't mind if they can. I don't lobby for all to miss out b/c I can't enjoy - that's the path of madness. I can be responsible b/c I have my life on the line...and others don't.

If we put up arbitrary rules that the masses of no-risk folks have to abide by, that's what they'll be - arbitrary and treated as such by the vast majority of low risk individuals, making them worthless overall to the high risk, and yet providing unnecessary conflict, cost, and paranoia to everyone.

according to the agreement reached between Disney and the STCU (union) masks are mandatory for both guests and CM's. How long this will be a requirement is anyone's guess, but for anyone visiting soon after the parks open masks will be mandatory.

The measures include social distancing practices, increased cleaning and mandatory masks for workers and guests, according to a statement from the Service Trades Council Union (STCU), which represents about 43,000 workers at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disney-reaches-deal-walt-disney-193344468.html

This would not affect my trip, because if we do decide to go in July, my kids WOULD be wearing masks - or , we.just won't go - I would never go against the mandate - but I would love to know how they are going to enforce this rule ?

There are adults and children that due to physical and/or mental situations, can not wear a mask - so, I guess the simple solution is that they don't go while masks are mandatory

The tougher question is how Disney will enforce this rule - will managers be walking around telling people to put their masks on ? Will there be signage all over? ( that's probably a given)

I can see this constant scenario playing out - especially in the summer, where tempers tend to flare normally - someone not wearing a mask sneezes, and gets yelled at by any guest within a 10 foot radius -

This would not affect my trip, because if we do decide to go in July, my kids WOULD be wearing masks - or , we.just won't go - I would never go against the mandate - but I would love to know how they are going to enforce this rule ?

There are adults and children that due to physical and/or mental situations, can not wear a mask - so, I guess the simple solution is that they don't go while masks are mandatory

The tougher question is how Disney will enforce this rule - will managers be walking around telling people to put their masks on ? Will there be signage all over? ( that's probably a given)

I can see this constant scenario playing out - especially in the summer, where tempers tend to flare normally - someone not wearing a mask sneezes, and gets yelled at by any guest within a 10 foot radius -
There are lots of questions that make deciding to go to Disney in June (if open), July, August or even beyond a big question mark. And it is shocking that we haven't heard some details yet, but then again Disney itself may not even know.

I mean ..no matter when Disney opens up, how will they handle the current booked reservations? I am sure things like ADRs, Fast Passes, even what parks WILL be open (or how long) throw ANY of the "normal" planning out the window. And that's not even taking into account how they will deal with the mask and social distancing enforcing.

Any tourist place will just be a customer service nightmare for those places. For every guest that understands and will be accommodating to the circumstances, you'd think there will be one that is upset at the changes to their planned vacation.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, have you looked into a neck gaiter? Much more comfortable face covering for all day wear in the heat and humidity.

When it comes to safety I am guessing it will be like height requirements. You have to follow and ADA does not over ride safety rules.

There are lots of questions that make deciding to go to Disney in June (if open), July, August or even beyond a big question mark. And it is shocking that we haven't heard some details yet, but then again Disney itself may not even know.

I mean ..no matter when Disney opens up, how will they handle the current booked reservations? I am sure things like ADRs, Fast Passes, even what parks WILL be open (or how long) throw ANY of the "normal" planning out the window. And that's not even taking into account how they will deal with the mask and social distancing enforcing.

Any tourist place will just be a customer service nightmare for those places. For every guest that understands and will be accommodating to the circumstances, you'd think there will be one that is upset at the changes to their planned vacation.
Oh, count on that happening, for sure... but in all honesty, you have to know going in that nothing will be as it used to be and any plans you made prior to all of this happening, rest assured, will undoubtedly be altered in some way, shape or form. If you get upset at anything changing from your original plans to now, then you are just begging for a "whoa-is-me" response and are looking for a reason to be upset.

When it comes to safety I am guessing it will be like height requirements. You have to follow and ADA does not over ride safety rules.

That's probably not going to work. Pretty much every government that has put mask orders in place say you don't have to wear it if you have a disability.

Also, no one seems to want to answer the questions. What happens when someone decides to take the mask off? What happens when you have someone that pulls it down past their nose or around their neck or if they aren't wearing it correctly?

That's probably not going to work. Pretty much every government that has put mask orders in place say you don't have to wear it if you have a disability.

Also, no one seems to want to answer the questions. What happens when someone decides to take the mask off? What happens when you have someone that pulls it down past their nose or around their neck or if they aren't wearing it correctly?
Most reasonable people expect that there will be a policy in place to address situations like these. You can ask a thousand questions because you don’t want to wear a mask. They won’t change the fact that you’ll have to wear one in the parks. That’s been made certain with Chapek’s comments and the union agreements

Most reasonable people expect that there will be a policy in place to address situations like these. You can ask a thousand questions because you don’t want to wear a mask. They won’t change the fact that you’ll have to wear one in the parks. That’s been made certain with Chapek’s comments and the union agreements

I won't be wearing one because I'm not going. I refuse to go to any park with a useless face mask in this heat. Bank all my DVC points to next year and hopefully all this hysteria will be over with.

My four year old knows she has to wear her mask to go to the store. I try not to take her often if it isn't needed and she gets upset when she can't go saying she will wear her mask. But her breaking point would be not being able to see the princesses and get pictures with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter