Run, Write, Run (comments welcome!)

And, as I stated in the Marathon Weekend thread, I got my bib for the marathon. I'm both extremely excited and terrified. I felt good after the Princess half, but I didn't run nearly as fast as I wanted to. So I'm not sure how I'll feel running twice the distance at marathon pace. But at least I know I can run at an easy pace and still finish half an hour ahead of the balloon ladies. I'm looking at different training options now. A lot of them seem very untenable for me as a slower runner with time constraints during the week. What I would give to be able to run under 10 minute easy pace miles. :P
Hi! My longest long-runs for all 3 of my marathon-involved MW training plans (from Billy and then recycled by me) have been 13 or 13.1mi. And don't discount the power of distraction with Team Not-So-Fast on race day. ;)

Hi! My longest long-runs for all 3 of my marathon-involved MW training plans (from Billy and then recycled by me) have been 13 or 13.1mi. And don't discount the power of distraction with Team Not-So-Fast on race day. ;)
I'm definitely counting on the distractions! The half went by so fast since I was running with a friend. It was literally my first time running with someone and I can see why people do it all the time!

I'm definitely counting on the distractions! The half went by so fast since I was running with a friend. It was literally my first time running with someone and I can see why people do it all the time!
I hadn't thought about this! Not only are the distractions helpful, but you're getting some rest at all of the stops. Every bit helps.

2 Days until Winter Park Road Race, 31 Days until Springtime Surprise 10 Miler

*taps mic*

Hi, I'm still here. Had a bit of a detour this past week when I had to fly out of state unexpectedly for a family funeral. I only missed one day of running that I made up this morning, but my whole schedule feels out of whack. I've been keeping my routine of running at least 5k on easy days and 10k for long runs. I've also thrown in some speed workouts in an attempt to get a POT during my 10k this Saturday.

Speaking of that race, I'm still running it, but I'm not sure about trying for the POT. It will be a game time decision. I don't want to push it since I have the 10 miler. Even thought I'm not running that for time, I still want to have fun.

It's getting warmer already, and between that and it being darker in the mornings, I'm not a fan. But we did manage to rearrange our master bedroom and turn the treadmill so it faces the TV. It makes running there so much more enjoyable! I don't love the treadmill but I definitely appreciate it during Florida summers.

Well, the forecast for tomorrow calls for rain and a chance of thunderstorms, so I’ve decided not to run the race. It’s about an hour from my house and a local 10k in iffy weather is not worth that much of an effort for me right now. I’m bummed because I was excited to race again but could use the time at home after the past week. Maybe I’ll do a 10k on my treadmill while watching a marathon vlog.

Last edited:

The past few weeks have been a mess. Going out of state, even for just two days, completely threw me off my routine. Then my kid stayed home sick, then I got sick, so running didn't happen. I was also PMSing and in such a bad mood that everything annoyed me... and because I wasn't running, my mood was even worse. :P Not to mention, I was also slightly depressed because the 10k race I skipped ending up having perfect weather. Womp womp. I really need to talk to my OB about perimenopause next visit. Double womp womp.

I ended up taking yesterday off to rest and finally kick this illness. Also, my kid was awake for four hours in the middle of the night so I was in no place to function like a normal human being. I ended up sleeping in and then going for a run around 11 am. It was warmer than I'm used to lately, obviously, but it felt so good to run again. I took my dog with me for the first 1.2 miles and she did great! I'm glad she likes running because my son is switching daycares soon which will let me get out the door earlier, and I'll feel safer with her in the dark. I dropped her off and continued until I hit the 5k mark.

Today I was going to just take her for a walk but I did another run instead. She came with me for a little over 1.6 miles, then I dropped her off and finished with 2.47 total. I'm also slightly annoyed my dog can easily run my easy pace with no training. :D

I'm probably going to stick with mainly easy runs until Springtime Surprise, with the goal of running that race at my current marathon pace. (Making allowances for character stops obviously, haha.) After that, I'm going to work on strength/mobility until it's time to start *gulp* marathon training. I'm planning to do a 10k at the end of September and the Space Coast half marathon (with a friend, who's actually slower than me, so I know I won't be tempted to race, lol). Depending on my training schedule I could maybe also do the OUC half marathon, but I'd rather do Space Coast this year and possibly race OUC next year.

5 Days until Hakuna Matata 10 Miler

Figured I should get in an update before Springtime Surprise!

I've continued doing shorter maintenance runs during the week. Had a long run of 7 miles on April 5, and did 6.5 miles on April 12. My pace for that run was 13:08 which was a little fast, but it felt good. I ran down to the local park and did a few laps before coming back. It's so nice there, but I wish there was more shade in the summer.

I skipped a few days because I was feeling some twinges in my left shin (I have not been stretching enough lately and my body is mad at me), but went out for a little over 2 miles today and felt okay.

I took my dog for her first 5k last week. :D We did 3.13 miles in 43:25, or 13:53 pace. Not bad for a puppy who still is a little skittish walking!

I will probably run 2-3 miles tomorrow and Thursday, and take Friday and Saturday off before the race.

10 miler goals

Because it's springtime in Florida, I don't have big goals for this race. Ideally, I would like to run it at marathon pace, or around 13:21. I'll see how I feel during the race if I want to push myself a little further. Mostly, I want to make sure I get my nutrition figured out since I had stomach problems during the Princess half. I plan to eat my usual bagel on the drive, have an applesauce pouch in the corrals, and fuel with Tailwind starting around mile 3-4 instead of as soon as the race starts. Here's hoping that works!

Springtime Surprise Expo

Originally, I had planned to go to the Expo on Saturday since I was only doing the 10 miler. But I decided to take Friday off and hit the expo in the afternoon. This confirmed my decision to never again go to the expo on the first day (unless I’m doing the 5k for whatever reason). It was so quiet and chill. I hit the runDisney merch first. I liked the 10 miler tank, but all that was left was XXL. Great ordering job, rD. I picked up a runDisney hat, then went to get my bib, and got some character pics as well. I got the Simba statue for obvious reasons, and Stitch as well. Even though I wasn’t doing the challenge, his line was pretty short. Dug and Russell had a super long line so I skipped them.

Then I hit the vendors where I did more damage. I got two AirFit sunglasses (I love them), a sheer Minnie Mouse skirt I plan to wear for marathon weekend, and a Corkcicle tumbler (they were 50 percent off). I also checked out the Garmins for research purposes on upgrades. Finally, I stopped to say hi to Jeff Galloway since there was no wait. I thanked him again for making me a runner and told him I was doing the marathon next year. He’s such a gracious and genuine person!

Regarding the race, I was very happy to see I was in C corral, which is the highest I’ve been so far. I still didn’t start until 5:35, though. There were a LOT of B waves. Maybe one day I’ll get a POT!

I’m having problems attaching photos on my phone, so I’ll do that later.

Hakuna Matata 10 Miler
Pre-race:
We went to Hollywood Studios on Saturday because my son had been asking to ride Slinky Dog. (He's gone on it once before but not for a year or so.) We got there for regular park open and headed right to the ride. The line already said 55 minutes thanks to early entry. My husband wasn't feeling great so he stayed with the stroller (my son is 4 but I'm not yet giving up our parks sherpa!) and my son and I headed to the line. He was pretty good despite the long wait. My feet weren't a big fan but what can you do. During the ride he said "this ride makes my tummy hurt," which made me go "oh noooo" because I have a long history of motion sickness. I think it was because he pulled the harness to close to his body, though. Despite the look of uncertainty during the ride photo he cheered at the end and said he enjoyed the ride! We'll see if he asks to go again soon. :D

1713786158881.png

By the time we were done all the other lines were super long and it was so hot so we did the Lightning McQueen racing academy and Launch Bay (met Darth Vader!) before our Woody's Roundup reservation. I'd been there before but my son hadn't and we knew he'd love it. He actually ate a ton of food and as a Toy Story fan, he obviously loved the theme.

1713786204828.png

Once we got home we jumped in the pool and ordered pizza for dinner. Thankfully my son was ready to go to bed earlier rather than later and once he was asleep, I also went to bed. My husband slept on the couch until it was time for me to leave so he wouldn't wake me up. My son usually sleeps through the night and doesn't come in our room unless something is wrong. So of course on the night I need as much asleep as possible, he barged into the room at 1 am asking for water. 😬 Thankfully he went right back to sleep. I eventually did because my (first) alarm woke me up at 2:10. I had that moment where I think to myself, "why the heck do I do this to myself???" Because runDisney. :P I said good-bye to my husband and headed out around 2:45. Had to double back because I realized I'd forgotten my AirPods.

The best part about driving to Epcot at 3 am is that no one else is on the road so it takes me 20 minutes to get there instead of 30. I parked, went through security, and headed to the meetup spot and met @Naomeri and @The Expert. Eventually @flav showed up and then we broke up to hit the portas and corrals. It was around 3:50 and I didn't want to get into my corral until 4:30 ish, so I decided to do something new to me, and wait for pre-race characters! Timon and Rafiki were out so I hopped in their line. I think it took around 30 minutes, so it was perfect timing.

1713786128662.png

Headed to the corrals, peed, filled up my water with Liquid IV, and staked out a spot in C. We got moving to the start chute a little after race start. It felt like B had so many more waves than usual! I took a photo of me in front of the start line at 5:35, so I started a little after that. Still earlier than I've started in D or E, but not by much. I didn't dart out the back or the corral to pee and I probably should have, but I knew I'd have a bunch of nicer options in World Showcase.

1713786239520.png

3, 2, 1 and we're off!

Part 1 - The Parks

Originally, my goal for this race was to run around marathon pace (13:21). However, I knew I'd have to back off with the heat and I wanted to stop for characters and any Tower of Terror photo opps since it was my first time running through all of Hollywood Studios. My bigger goal was to figure out my nutrition so I didn't get runner's gut like I did during the Princess Half. I ate half a bagel in the car and drank liquid IV, then held off on water until the race start. I nibbled the rest of the bagel (but didn't finish) during the meetup and had an applesauce pouch in the corrals. I also filled up my handheld with liquid IV due to the heat. I had three pouches of Tailwind to use later on.

I started with 30/30 intervals, giving myself room to increase them later on depending on how I felt. As usual during races, my heartrate went up pretty fast. I have no idea why because I don't run that fast and it stays in zone 1 for awhile when I'm training. But I guess races make me excited. :P I stuck to the intervals so I wouldn't gas myself and enjoyed the space to move in the backstage area. I decided to stop for selfies at all the mile markers again. Once in the parks I didn't see any characters I wanted to wait for. (Later on I learned that the mice I saw near-ish America were actually The Rescuers, not Cinderella's mice, and I was SO MAD at myself for not stopping because my husband loves that movie. Oh, well.) Running through World Showcase in the dark is always beautiful, so I stopped for some videos.

I did have an awkward moment where I tried to go around someone on the right, but she moved right as I did so I brushed her arm, and then she gave me a "that's why you're supposed to pass on the left" remark. Yes, I know, and I apologized profusely, but there were people on my left blocking me! I wasn't moving super fast, either, so her nastyness annoyed me for a bit. We're all trying our best!

I hit the (newly remodeled!) UK bathrooms before heading out of the park. Thankfully, I only had to pee. Pulling my shorts back on while I was covered in sweat was quite the feat and reminded me of Ross from Friends and his leather pants. :P

I really enjoyed running around the Boardwalk and saw a great sign that said "Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to exercise." :D

1713788114907.png

The walkway to DHS wasn't too crowded, despite a really poorly placed water stop. Then, we were back in the parks!

1713788015619.png

I was excited to run through Hollywood Studios, especially Galaxy's Edge, but that ended up being kind of disappointing because there was no entertainment or even any kind of music. Plus, they couldn't route us past the Falcon. Darth Vader was out around Star Tours, which was cool, but you can meet him in the parks. Why not have any of the Galaxy's Edge characters out? Even if they're not doing a meet and greet, but just on the upper levels to take your own pictures? It seems like such a fail. I did stop for a selfie with the X-wing, though.

1713788053366.png

I like this picture of me in Toy Story Land.

1713788087241.png

I passed Lotso on our way out of the land and decided to get a photo since he's pretty rare and I was so hot and muggy that I wanted a break. Plus, his line was pretty short. I know I'm also really short, but he is HUGE!

1713787887605.png

I stopped for a Tower photo opp and the bellhops. I love my Tower jumping pic. :)

1713787923684.png

The bellhops needed better lighting, but I'm glad I stopped.

1713787953279.png

This ended up being my longest mile at 22 minutes, haha. But considering I stopped 3 times, I don't think it was too bad! I talked to another runner in the bellhop line who said she doesn't usually stop either but was so hot she also needed a break. It was nice to get a little rest and by the time I got moving again, it felt like it had gotten cooler and less muggy. As @The Expert noted, probably because the sun coming up helped lower the humidity! I considered hitting another bathroom before leaving Hollywood Studios but didn't feel like dealing with my shorts again so I moved on. There was a water stop just before we got to the road and I filled it with my first baggie of Tailwind. I was still feeling fine energy wise but knew there was still more than 5 miles left and I'd start to bonk soon without any kind of fuel. Thankfully, my stomach still felt fine. 🤞

Mile 1: 13:21 (exactly on marathon pace!)
Mile 2: 14:51 (potty break)
Mile 3: 13:42
Mile 4: 13:42
Mile 5: 22:21

Despite some stops, I was still averaging around 15 minute pace and knew that would improve in the second half of the race with fewer stops. Next post, we hit the road. :P

Part 2 - The Roads and Finish

I actually really like the road parts of Disney races, especially World Drive, because there's so much space to move! Since it was so hot, I decided to keep my intervals on 30/30 and aim for around marathon pace. Going down the cloverleaf to World Drive, I stopped for another character photo, an alligator in the lake. :D

1713788948503.png

There's not a ton to report from the next few miles. I did see someone go down while on World Drive. I stopped to see if she was okay but another runner had already gone to get the bike medics, so I continued on. I hope she was okay. It reminded me to keep hydrating and fueling.

There was a water stop before the ramp back into Epcot and I used my second baggie of Tailwind. I was feeling slightly hungry but not sick at all, so saving the Tailwind until later seems to be a good strategy for me. I also know the heat didn't help. :P I ran the stretch back into Epcot during Princess Half, so it was pretty familiar to me. Jack and Barbossa were backstage in Epcot and I almost stopped, but their line was so long and by that point I just wanted to be done. :P We headed back into Epcot and I made sure to tell the Photopass photographers how I felt.

1713789243323.png

Once again, I was bummed the Jammitors weren't on the course. I liked the African band they had near Test Track, but what happened to the Jammitors?? They weren't at the Princess half, either. :(

I did stop for Ferb in the backstage area because the line was short and my son just started getting into their specials on Disney Plus. I never watched the show so I had no idea which one was out and had to look it up later. :D

1713789397181.png

The choir was singing "How Far I'll Go" when I came around and it was such a magical moment. I almost cried. I took a really bad video to show people when they ask me why I wake up at 2 am to run through Disney.

Coming toward the finish line I kept my eyes peeled for Jeff Galloway and his huge thumbs up sign. I spotted him and he seemed like he recognized me. I'm not sure if he actually did, but it was so nice. I asked for a photo and he told me great job. I love that he's out there cheering for everyone.

1713789521599.png

And then, I was done! I tried to look triumphant as I crossed the finish line but once again I look like I'm about to cry. Oh, well. :D

1713789590246.png

I collected all my goodies, scarfed down the banana, filled my water bottle with Liquid IV, and got my "I did it" photo.

1713789645229.png

Then I headed home where I promptly took a shower. I spent the rest of the day alternating between the couch and pool, with a stop at the playground so my son could run around.

When I came home, my son ran up and gave me a big hug. I was wearing my medal and he said, "Mommy, you got a new medal? THE LION KING???" Made it so worth it. ♥️

Mile 6: 13:30
Mile 7: 13:29
Mile 8: 13:42
Mile 9: 13:25
Mile 10: 14:05 (character stop)
Mile 10.3: 3:45 (12:19 pace)

Overall, my pace was 14:32 (literally the exact same as Princess) and my moving pace was 13:06. I had no stomach issues and despite the heat, felt strong at the end of the race. My legs and feet were only slightly sore. My hands, however, hurt a ton today. Stupid getting older. :( I'm very happy with how this race went overall and will use the lessons to help with marathon training. I definitely like the longer races at Disney.

And that's it until next season! Thanks for reading! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter