Rust Belt Road Trip (2 UPDATES--1/18)

I am so jealous that you got to meet Mary Ellen. Great picture of your fab kids and you and MEK!

She was a lot of fun! You'll have to come to Delaware someday and catch up with all of us...

Man, sure got dusty in my office all of a sudden. :)

I hate it when that happens. Better clean out those vents. ;)

Well, it is a good thing that everyone around me at the office is at lunch because I started reading this and started crying. What a beautiful and eloquent way you put your trip into words, Mark.

Thanks, Kathy. I appreciate that.

Let me just add that it was my pleasure to meet you and your wonderful sons. I hope some day that I will have the opportunity to meet the head of the family and your beautiful daughter.

We loved meeting you too! We will definitely have to find a way for you to meet the girls.

And I love the look back over the year pictures of the kids. :)

:goodvibes

And next year's trip sounds absolutely awesome. And what wonderful "benefactors" those friends of yours are. I knew I liked them.

We knew they were good for something.

Ok, fine. They are really cool people.

And we've been over 4th of July ourselves. If you plan things right, you'll still get a lot accomplished at the parks.

I can't wait for the next Captain TR. Thank you for sharing with us. :hug:

We'll actually be there later in July. I'm sure it'll still be crowded.

Thanks for reading along!

People thought we were crazy, but it was great! Sarah said her favorite part of the trip was spending time together as a family. :love:

I thought she said it was the time she got to ditch the boys in Chicago. :confused3

I regret the ski lift. Not West Virginia. Just the ski life.

It was fun!

Ok....this just made me cry!!

Yeah, that was kind of a dirty trick.

I think this is our new life motto!

It sure beats "Embarrassing Delaware Since 1998."

Only without the trip to the urgent care clinic, ok?

That's up to our son.

We're purdy smrt, huh?

Speak for yourself. Wait a minute...

::yes::

Place your bets now folks!! Who will notice first and when?

Col. Mustard, with the candlestick, in the conservatory.

Shouldn't be a problem. I should be grading papers right now.....or folding:laundy: but here I sit.....

Slacker! Who would use valuable work time to post on the DIS? :confused3

Wow - what a great summer trip!!!!! It sounds absolutely perfect especially considering that SC is now one of my new favorite places. You are going to love, love, love Charleston. OMG - I really want to move there. I used to tell Denny I wanted to go to Florida, but now its Charleston.

Your pictures made it look really cool. Hopefully we'll have enough time to explore the city.

And what's not to love about a side trip to Saint Augustine. If we drive this summer I am definitely stopping there.

Dave and I actually went there this past year, but the rest of the family hasn't seen it.

And Kidani....WOW! :cool1: I love Kidani. I seriously think that the AKL is my all time favorite resort because it is the one place I think I could hang, never leave, never go in a park, and still love it there. It is simply wonderfully relaxing and both pools are wonderful. I haven't been there since 09 and I really want to go back.

I think the WL and AKL are the best-themed resorts on property. We stayed at WL a couple of years ago (just for a couple of nights) and our next dream was to stay at the AKL. I think the kids are going to flip out!

As far as South of the Border - well, eh em, just be prepared for thick southern accents and thin burgers and old fashioned french fries. You've got to stop in Pedros. I bet you could put the cheese balls right on the table and no one would even notice.

:rotfl2: I'm sure it will be an experience. We'll see...

So what are the dates? PTR?

Pawleys Island from July 14-21
Disney from July 21-25

To be honest, I'm not much of a PTR guy. I have a hard time coming up with anything to say other than, "Hey, we're planning a vacation!" I do better when I can describe how things went.

Great surprise for the kids. Awesome!

OH - and adorable baby pics!

Thanks! :thumbsup2

Sorry for not checking back in on this thread... I've gotten used to the speed at which SOME DisDads trip reports get updated. Like mine.

I may resemble that remark. Anyway, :welcome: Eric!

it was great meeting your family, and I wish that our Saturday had been less booked up on the day you visited. My younger daughter, particularly, enjoyed running around the museum with your sons.

Not a problem. I'm glad you made the time to come out and meet us. Your daughters are adorable.

And, just for the record, I was not stalking you. Coincidence is my superpower. :thumbsup2

Awesome! Mine is flatulence. :thumbsup2

I'd like to see her sing and play flute at the same time. Now that's talent!

Good idea! How about it, MEK?

Don't forget the knee cymbals. ;)

I sense a Looney Tunes cartoon coming on here.

It's true. We need a term for it.

End-of-TR Hangover?

Just wait...very shortly you'll be getting a rose at some Senior Night football game or something and wonder "what the heck just happened"?!

:eek: This is almost too scary to contemplate. I know it's right around the corner.

Well said!

:thanks:

Sounds awesome! One of our favorite restaurants in South Myrtle Beach is this little Italian buffet place --> Angelo's

I think we may have eaten there! Can't go wrong with an Italian buffet.

Really awesome!

Super awesome!

Tremendously awesome!!! :banana:

We are loading up on the awesomeness!

My lawyer will be contacting you.

Um...I'm busy.

Hey! :mad: I resemble that remark.

In that case, let me reassure you that you serve only the finest-quality drivel.[/QUOTE]

That… sir,
Was a very fine summation. Ya’ done good.
Thanks for letting us all ride along.

Thanks, Rob. I appreciate it.

Yep… and as soon as I can come up with both the cash and time…
I’m going out to look for it too.

There's got to be an easier way to become independently wealthy.

You’re going to enjoy Pawleys Island. The best description I have for that spot on the map is serene.

Sounds pretty awesome. :goodvibes

While you’re there, you might also consider checking out Brookgreen Gardens if you’ve not already seen it.

http://www.brookgreen.org/

We went there many, many years ago (2003, I think?). Not sure what's changed since then.

Depending on the exact dates and what’s happening at home and work… I’ll certainly try to make it happen.

That would be awesome! :thumbsup2

There’s no good reason for y’all to be heading as far inland as the spot I call home, but if you’re ever heading down I-85 or I-77 for any reason, stop by my place. I’ve got an extra guest room and I’ll show you around. It ain’t as historic as Charleston, but there are a few interesting things to get into around here.

NASCAR Hall of Fame
Discovery Place
Knight’s Baseball
Reed Gold Mine Site & Museum
Kings Mountain National Military Park
Historic Brattonsville

…just to name a few.

I don't think we'll be up that way on this trip, but there's definitely quite a few things on your list we'd be interested in. I'm not much of a NASCAR fan, but my boys would LOVE it, seeing as how they've been inspired by the Cars movies.

I'd have to try and catch up with Poolrat (Pat) if I got up that way as well.

Congrats on finding a way to add a little bit o magic to the trip

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.

Very kind. Very kind indeend.

I wish everyone had a Mysterious Benefactor like this.

R-e-a-l-l-y looking forward to hearing more about this….

Julie! Get to work!

Those meddling kids....

We would have gotten away with it, too!

:rotfl2: At first I was wondering how you got a picture of my garage. ( I have the same opener) but then I never caught my kid on my van. Notice how I said caught?

Not sure what possessed him to crawl up there in his pajamas. We had a choice--guarantee his safety or grab the camera.

All kidding aside - your sentiments are spot on and yes one day you will realize you youngest is about to go off to college. <sniff sniff>
I just put this in a card for an expectant mom at work.
The days may be long, but the years pass quickly. So true.

Does this mean I'm actually getting old? Nah.

There's always Carowinds

Judging by your location and the sites you chose, you might be my neighbor.
I am guess you are probably between Marv and me. :confused3

Sounds like you and Rob are fairly close. Geographically, I mean.

Well dear Captain thanks for taking us along for the adventure.

We were fortunate to get to meet you along the way and your family was a joy to get to know (unfortunately for only a brief evening).

Wish we'd had more time. It was great to meet your family as well. We'll just have to come back to Chicago.

Your summer trip sounds like a blast, I can't wait to read all about it.

Also love the motto. That should be posted on a wall somewhere.

Or better yet, they should use that in a movie!

I hate to see it come to an end, but what a well-written TR it has been. Especially this last portion.

Thanks Andy!

I know it is the wrong thread, but MANLAW:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2

Well, it makes the end a little bit easier this way.:thumbsup2

Exactly!

I've been there! :banana: I'm sure you and your boys will love it. Julie and Sarah will probably tolerate it. :lmao:

You might be surprised. They're not real girly-girls.

Hmmm... so you might be meeting my nemesis... :rolleyes1

Any messages or surprises you'd like me to deliver?

Looks like a fantastic plan to me!

:woohoo:

I love that idea. I'm sure the reaction will be priceless.

Sometimes our kids surprise us. Maybe it'll be a muted, "Oh, cool." and then they'll go back to their DS games. :rotfl2:

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us and allowing us to feel like part of the family. :thumbsup2

Thanks for taking the time to read this crap!

Oh, I really hope to read about this trip. :thumbsup2

Me too. popcorn::

Mark, what did you do?

Last time I helped Dave jump the waves like this, he cried out in pain and then wouldn't let us touch his arm. So we went to the ER to find out...nothing was wrong. :headache:

Scotty. Probably about the time he finds out you'll be in Florida.

They can read, so I'm thinking the "Orlando" signs will be a giveaway.

You can make some up - we'll never know the difference.

What do you think I've been doing this whole time?

It's a very narrow window between them being ready to go and them getting too busy with school or heading off to college when they can't go with you anymore. By the time Ryder is 10 (an arbitrary age where I think he is old enough to experience, enjoy, learn from and remember everything we do) Madison will be 17 and almost off to college. Family time is so short....that's why I'm wasting work time to read and comment on your trip report.

And that's why I'm wasting work time to write it. Just start taking Ryder around earlier, and then repeat some stuff later if you have to. :thumbsup2

I didn't see any of them getting nervous twitches when we walked past the parking lot in Chicago. That was a good sign.

That's because they were trying to help Evan body-check me into the street.

No truer words have ever been said. Or typed.

Wisconsin is pretty cool, you know. :rolleyes1

We absolutely need to tour Lambeau Field. And get to the Machine Shed. And meet Ryder. Not necessarily in that order.

I'm glad we did it!

Us too! It was great meeting you and your family!

:sad1:
I've got to talk to the building supervisor about all the dust in my office....

(The pictures are adorable, by the way. You and Julie make cute kids)

Thanks! I think we know which side of the family the cuteness comes from.

Great wrap up, Mark. My fancy words would just pale in comparison to your fancy words, so I won't even try.

Thanks, Barry.

It is out there, you said so yourself.

So do the Wilderness Explorers!

That's better. The shades cut down on the glare.

I don't blame you there.

That sounds awesome!

Aircraft carrier = awesome

That really was just an off hand remark about Animal Kingdom, wasn't it? Amazing how things work out...

I had no idea it would lead to this, but now I'm glad I brought it up! You guys are great.

You're going to LOVE it there!*

(*not an actual guarantee. No refunds if you do, in fact, not love it)

Really, I don't think you need to worry about this.

If SOPA or PIPA become law, I could take the entire Disboards off the interwebs!

Reply censored.

Our pleasure, Mark. Like I said before, we had those DVC points earmarked for a Hilton Head trip this spring, but with Ryder being due right about that time, that trip was canceled. Those points literally would have gone to waste if you didn't use them.

Still, you're making a dream possible for us. We're grateful.

Oh, and for everyone else reading: "Mysterious Benefactor" may be a bit of a stretch. Mark is paying for this, dearly. He probably hasn't read the fine print on our agreement yet, but let's just say that if I ever need an organ, he'll be getting a visit from my "harvest team."

Let's think about this. I'm older than you, and you are aware of my diet. Do you really think my organs will be any help whatsoever?

How cooler would it be if you get checked in to Animal Kingdom, see a giraffe walking by your window and hearing Scotty say "Hey, this isn't Delaware!"

:rotfl2: Oddly enough, this is not far-fetched.

I, for one, enjoy your drivel. :thumbsup2

:goodvibes

Can I vote Mark will notice last? I know it's a stretch, considering he's planning it and driving, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Sadly, this is also not far-fetched.

What's a motto?

Nothing, what's a motto with you?

:lmao:

(Too easy? :confused3

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Nope, just perfect. :thumbsup2

:sad2:

We had yet another terrific DIS-meet this past weekend. My family and I were able to have dinner with Mary Ellen (MEK) at our local Friendly's restaurant. I had noticed from her tag that she lived in the Middletown, DE area. Since I do as well, I figured it would be kind of stupid for us not to get together and say hi.

IMG_2788.jpg
Another great DISMeet!

(and thanks, I forgot about the Fuddruckers near Hershey!)

Well, we're finally here. The end of the report. I'

P1040078.JPG

Adventure is out there!

Awesome summary - and I do love that picture! makes you wonder!

With that being said, it's time to plan the next adventure!
WOW that will be an awesome road trip! Charleston is beautiful, I hope to get back there with Katie now.

I have several friends who love going to Pawley's Island, looks like a great family vacation!!

Are you going to the St. Augustine Light House (are you a Ghost Hunters fan?).... I have been checking out good places to stop along the coast on the road trip back in June and this looks like it might be a fun short diversion.

and :dance3::dance3: to AKL - what else is there to say!

Slacker! Who would use valuable work time to post on the DIS? :confused3
not me, never :rolleyes1:rolleyes1

Howdy Mark,
I didn’t know where to put this post… so I’ll inflict it on everyone here.

I finally got around to reading your Southern Swing TR over on DisDads.com. Nice trip there. I’m glad you got to see Augusta National. From you description and knowledge of the place, I can see how just being there would just get into you very being. I’m not as big a sports fan, but there are certainly places that I’m trying to visit which evoke similar responses in my somewhat bent mind.

Shealy’s you say. Wow… that is interesting (especially given the explanation of your sibling’s general choices in victuals.

First off let me twist this to suite me… I rather like the town of Batesburg-Leesville. In and of itself, there’s really no “there” there, and your assertion that it means “middle of nowhere” may be correct. However, it’s their little ol’ HS Football stadium where out kids won their last two consecutive State Marching Championships, so I like traveling down there (we’re moving up in classification next year so I’ll miss that road trip).

Now then, back to the topic of food. As for the BBQ… it’s good, but you go to Shealy’s there for the chicken (and chicken livers if you’re into that type of thing). Did you have any of the Pulley Bones? I hope so. From this I now know not to invite your family out to dinner at either a fish camp or an SC BBQ house. Being as those happen to be the best two types near my house, I suppose I’ll have to take you to McDonalds instead. :lmao: Or… there is a Cheesecake Factory in the ritzy section of Charlotte. Anyway, here’s the thing about BBQ… if it needs sauce, it wasn’t smoked well enough. I use little to none on my sandwiches. I do like a tiny splash the vinegar based stuff (don’t care for the mustard based type), but I was raised down here so that would figure. The other truth is that what you really want in ribs anyway and there’s a good spot near me to try those (and Michel Stern swears that they also make the best Hushpuppies on the continent).

Columbia… I haven’t been to the children’s museum there (it’s relatively new to use), but I love that there’s a giant cow that “craps kids”. That is priceless. I’m sorry y’all didn’t get to Charleston that trip (but you’ll be fixin’ that in the near so no matter). A drive from Columbia to Kill Devil is a lot longer then you might think, so skipping the Charleston day trip was likely very wise.

I hope to be able to catch up with y’all on the Grand Stand this summer. I’ve start looking into a possible junket down that way in July but I can’t promise anything just yet.

Oh… if you do take a trip from Pawleys Island down toward Charleston… and you make the trip via US-17… there’s a funky hotdog stand along the way (in Mt Plensnt) that might be worth trying. Here’s a link…

http://www.jackscosmicdogs.com/location.asp

BTW: Brookgreen Gardens probably hasn’t changed that much, so If you’ve seen it, then It’s probably not worth doing again. But then again… there are a couple of old plantations along US-17 both north and south of Charleston.

Another great DISMeet!

(and thanks, I forgot about the Fuddruckers near Hershey!)

Always glad to help a friend clog their arteries! :thumbsup2

Awesome summary - and I do love that picture! makes you wonder!

Dave does a lot of things that make us wonder. But thanks!

WOW that will be an awesome road trip! Charleston is beautiful, I hope to get back there with Katie now.

I have several friends who love going to Pawley's Island, looks like a great family vacation!!

We do love the Myrtle Beach area. Hopefully we'll be ok with the crowds since it'll be the peak of summer. But that portion of the trip will mostly consist of lying around on the beach or in the house, anyway. Can't wait to explore Charleston.

Are you going to the St. Augustine Light House (are you a Ghost Hunters fan?).... I have been checking out good places to stop along the coast on the road trip back in June and this looks like it might be a fun short diversion.

No, I don't watch Ghost Hunters...I think we'll most likely just do the fort as a break and then head on. Driving from Pawleys to Orlando will take the majority of the day.

and :dance3::dance3: to AKL - what else is there to say!

not me, never :rolleyes1:rolleyes1

Um...yeah, me neither.

Howdy Mark,
I didn’t know where to put this post… so I’ll inflict it on everyone here.

I inflicted an entire TR on everyone here, so you're not doing any greater damage.

I finally got around to reading your Southern Swing TR over on DisDads.com. Nice trip there. I’m glad you got to see Augusta National. From you description and knowledge of the place, I can see how just being there would just get into you very being. I’m not as big a sports fan, but there are certainly places that I’m trying to visit which evoke similar responses in my somewhat bent mind.

Thanks for reading it! Like I said, I wish I'd been more on the ball about dropping you a line to meet up at that time.

Augusta was pretty special to see. Certain places like that have a lot of history. I'm hoping to get back there someday with my kids.

Shealy’s you say. Wow… that is interesting (especially given the explanation of your sibling’s general choices in victuals.

Something tells me my siblings and their wives won't be back. I'd go back if I was in the area. The fried chicken was terrific.

Now then, back to the topic of food. As for the BBQ… it’s good, but you go to Shealy’s there for the chicken (and chicken livers if you’re into that type of thing). Did you have any of the Pulley Bones? I hope so. From this I now know not to invite your family out to dinner at either a fish camp or an SC BBQ house. Being as those happen to be the best two types near my house, I suppose I’ll have to take you to McDonalds instead. :lmao: Or… there is a Cheesecake Factory in the ritzy section of Charlotte.

:laughing: I'm sure we can find something fun to try out. My kids might vote for McDonalds, though. I don't remember Pulley Bones, so I guess I didn't try it.

Anyway, here’s the thing about BBQ… if it needs sauce, it wasn’t smoked well enough. I use little to none on my sandwiches. I do like a tiny splash the vinegar based stuff (don’t care for the mustard based type), but I was raised down here so that would figure. The other truth is that what you really want in ribs anyway and there’s a good spot near me to try those (and Michel Stern swears that they also make the best Hushpuppies on the continent).

I like vinegar as a flavor, but a little goes a long way. I think I did mention that the meat was incredibly tender. And you have me interested in ribs and hushpuppies....

Columbia… I haven’t been to the children’s museum there (it’s relatively new to use), but I love that there’s a giant cow that “craps kids”. That is priceless. I’m sorry y’all didn’t get to Charleston that trip (but you’ll be fixin’ that in the near so no matter). A drive from Columbia to Kill Devil is a lot longer then you might think, so skipping the Charleston day trip was likely very wise.

It was a giant boy that "craps kids", but it was still entertaining. We knew Charleston was a must-see at some point in our lives. :thumbsup2

I hope to be able to catch up with y’all on the Grand Stand this summer. I’ve start looking into a possible junket down that way in July but I can’t promise anything just yet.

I hope it happens! If not, maybe you'll make it up to Delmarva. If not, we'll find some other way. Don't inconvenience yourself on my behalf.

Oh… if you do take a trip from Pawleys Island down toward Charleston… and you make the trip via US-17… there’s a funky hotdog stand along the way (in Mt Plensnt) that might be worth trying. Here’s a link…

http://www.jackscosmicdogs.com/location.asp

:scratchin Interesting...

BTW: Brookgreen Gardens probably hasn’t changed that much, so If you’ve seen it, then It’s probably not worth doing again. But then again… there are a couple of old plantations along US-17 both north and south of Charleston.

Good to know!

You had me at "cow that craps kids". I'm leaving now. I'll be there in 15 hours.

Price Point… I left off our ties to the NBA & NFL for the same reason, but…

Being an amusement park, and a fairly decent one for its size…
I’m glad you tossed it in.

Actually we live less then five miles from “C-Dub”, and only about three or so from the “current” Knights Castle.

Yup I know about where you are. I am off the outerbelt midway between the mall and well the bigger mall.:lmao:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Nope, just perfect. :thumbsup2

Along with that laughing I see tumble monkeys falling back and laughing. Thanks.:love:

I'd have to try and catch up with Poolrat (Pat) if I got up that way as well.

Sounds like you and Rob are fairly close. Geographically, I mean.

:ssst: We are keeping that a secret. :lmao: Really we are close geographically. Might need to have a meet while I run south for cheap gas.:)

Or… there is a Cheesecake Factory in the ritzy section of Charlotte.

Hey I work close to that mall now. I used to work close to where the new knights stadium will be.

The fried chicken was terrific.

I don't remember Pulley Bones, so I guess I didn't try it.

Pulley Bones are the tender front bits of both breasts including the wishbone (which is the: “pulley bone”). The server should have asked y’all: “How many Pulley Bones do you want today?” when they took your drink order.

I like vinegar as a flavor, but a little goes a long way. I think I did mention that the meat was incredibly tender. And you have me interested in ribs and hushpuppies....

::yes:: it does. We’re having some of those ribs for dinner tonight… cant’ wait!

I hope it happens! If not, maybe you'll make it up to Delmarva. If not, we'll find some other way. Don't inconvenience yourself on my behalf.

I’d like to do both. While I’m here… I’m rummaging through my maps and all over the web considering spots to stop on a couple of potential road trips, but I might as well ask the expert about the great state of Delaware. I’ve run across several things that catch my eye, but what would you say are some places, sites or oddities that I should try to take in were I to travel through the area?

Mark, this is a wonderful end to your TR! I loved seeing the pictures of the kids when they were younger, they were cute then, but they still are.

I think it is wonderful that you and Julie try to teach them a sense of adventure with all the travelling you do. The next road trip to WDW sounds like a great trip as well. I hope you will not only cover the WDW portion, but also Myrtle Beach and all the travelling in between. And that DISmeet with Marv. I don't dare to imagine how this will be going... :rolleyes1 I think you will have lots of fun meeting each other!!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I hope Julie finds the time to write about her trip to California. I am most likely heading there this September, so I would love to read about it. Even if the parade won't be happening that time of year. :goodvibes

Love the updates (even though as usual Im late to the party) Very cool on the Dismeet...you are an expert at this by now!! If you ever swing by Richmond we expect a visit!!

What cute pics of the kiddos when they were really young (the time does fly by Im sure!!)

Pawleys Island...beautiful!! I went to college in Myrtle Beach and really miss the area. Charleston was a favorite weekend trip of mine...the city is just beautiful, the buildings and Fort Sumter and theres an aquarium thats nice as well...not the most extensive, but its on the water from what I remember right there :thumbsup2 Theres was a market in the downtown area set up, not sure if its just on the weekends with a lot of home made crafts including beautiful baskets made by the residents of Charleston :goodvibes Around that area were little local shops and restaurants too!

So excited for you guys to be staying at AKL!! we ate at Jiko on our last trip and it was AMAZING!! we were just blown away by the resort!!

:ssst: We are keeping that a secret. :lmao: Really we are close geographically. Might need to have a meet while I run south for cheap gas.:)

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Pulley Bones are the tender front bits of both breasts including the wishbone (which is the: “pulley bone”). The server should have asked y’all: “How many Pulley Bones do you want today?” when they took your drink order.

Don't remember that at all! But it sounds good.

::yes:: it does. We’re having some of those ribs for dinner tonight… cant’ wait!

Mmm...ribs...

I’d like to do both. While I’m here… I’m rummaging through my maps and all over the web considering spots to stop on a couple of potential road trips, but I might as well ask the expert about the great state of Delaware. I’ve run across several things that catch my eye, but what would you say are some places, sites or oddities that I should try to take in were I to travel through the area?

As the saying goes, there's a lot to do in Delaware! You can go to Philly, Baltimore, D.C., ...

:rotfl2:

Just kidding. I'll put a list together in a separate response.

Mark, this is a wonderful end to your TR! I loved seeing the pictures of the kids when they were younger, they were cute then, but they still are.

Thanks Magdalene! I love looking at the pictures of the kids back then...but then it makes me wonder where the time went!

I think it is wonderful that you and Julie try to teach them a sense of adventure with all the travelling you do. The next road trip to WDW sounds like a great trip as well. I hope you will not only cover the WDW portion, but also Myrtle Beach and all the travelling in between. And that DISmeet with Marv. I don't dare to imagine how this will be going... :rolleyes1 I think you will have lots of fun meeting each other!!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I will definitely write everything up. Thinking ahead, I'm guessing I might gloss over Myrtle Beach...it'll be hard for me to make lying on the beach, playing in the water, reading a book, and playing catch sound interesting, especially if we do it day after day. So maybe a "highlights" chapter on the beach, and some more time spent on the day in Charleston, Disney, and stops in-between.

I hope Julie finds the time to write about her trip to California. I am most likely heading there this September, so I would love to read about it. Even if the parade won't be happening that time of year. :goodvibes

I need to crack the whip! Actually, I think she needs me to show her how to upload pictures online. So it's my fault it hasn't started yet. :sad2:

Love the updates (even though as usual Im late to the party) Very cool on the Dismeet...you are an expert at this by now!! If you ever swing by Richmond we expect a visit!!

Pretty sure we'll be driving through Richmond on the way down... :scratchin

What cute pics of the kiddos when they were really young (the time does fly by Im sure!!)

It's really hard to remember them at that age. My daughter will complete her first decade this weekend! :eek:

Pawleys Island...beautiful!! I went to college in Myrtle Beach and really miss the area. Charleston was a favorite weekend trip of mine...the city is just beautiful, the buildings and Fort Sumter and theres an aquarium thats nice as well...not the most extensive, but its on the water from what I remember right there :thumbsup2 Theres was a market in the downtown area set up, not sure if its just on the weekends with a lot of home made crafts including beautiful baskets made by the residents of Charleston :goodvibes Around that area were little local shops and restaurants too!

Can't wait to check it out! I think we're only going to have a day there, so I'm sure we won't get to see everything. But it should be exciting to explore!

So excited for you guys to be staying at AKL!! we ate at Jiko on our last trip and it was AMAZING!! we were just blown away by the resort!!

:woohoo:

My wife and I wandered through Jambo House a few years ago and were blown away by the building. My kids have never seen it!

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes: Here are some places in Delaware that may or may not interest you.

Most tourists coming to Delaware head straight for Delaware's beaches (New Jersey has a shore, we have beaches). From north to south, the beaches on the Atlantic Ocean are:
Cape Henlopen State Park (near Lewes)
Rehoboth Beach
Dewey Beach
Bethany BeachFenwick Island

All of them have free access, except Cape Henlopen which requires a fee to enter the park. Rehoboth Beach is the largest town and has the best boardwalk (i.e. the most attractions). The kids always enjoy the rides and games at Funland there. Dewey is known as the "party" beach and is where you are most likely to find inebriated people. Bethany is the "quiet" beach and is my favorite. Fenwick kind of bleeds into the much larger town of Ocean City, MD.

My wife's absolute favorite pizza place is near the town of Lewes. It's a hole-in-the-wall in a strip mall called Mr. P's that makes a nice wood-fired pizza. (Careful: they're cash only)

The town of Lewes is where settlers first made landfall in Delaware.

Moving north, you can observe a bit of colonial history near the capital city of Dover. The center of the city has preserved several historic buildings around The Green, which is the old town square. The Old State House was the former capitol building in the early years of the state. Legislative Hall is nearby, where the legislature actively meets. South of the city near Dover Air Force Base is the John Dickinson Plantation, the preserved homestead of one of the signers of the Constitution.

I mentioned Dover Air Force Base. They have a cool museum on-site that is free of charge and has a lot of military planes to look over in the exhibits.

There's also Dover Downs if you're interested in NASCAR or gambling.

My favorite restaurant in Dover is Pizza Delight by Giacomo. Good pizza, good cheese steaks, and good Italian food.

More colonial sites can be found in the Town of New Castle.

Delaware is the only state without a national park, but we do have Bombay Hook National Wildlife refuge. This is a coastal area that's good for bird-watching and some hiking. You can spot crabs in the marshes and the occasional fox in the woods.

The city of Newark (here we pronounce it like it reads: New - Ark) is home to the University of Delaware, in my humble opinion one of the most beautiful college campuses in the nation. In Newark and the town of Claymont (north of Wilmington) resides my most favorite cheese steak place in the whole world: The Claymont Steak Shop.

I get hungry just thinking about it.

Getting closer to Wilmington now, the Hagley Museum is the site of the DuPont family gunpowder works, founded in 1802.

Knowing your interests, you surely will want to see the Kalmar Nyckel at the Wilmington Riverfront, a replica of the tall ship that sailed to Delaware in 1638 bearing Swedish settlers.

If you're interested in how the other half lived, you can tour Winterthur, the DuPont mansion. And it's technically in Pennsylvania (just across the border), but Longwood Gardens is nearby. It's another DuPont family landmark and happens to be where I proposed to my wife.

You might also be interested in Fort Delaware, a Civil War fort out in Delaware Bay on Pea Patch Island that was mostly used as a prison for Confederate soldiers.

Want a good hamburger and milkshake? We have a couple of good local joints. Check out either Jake's or the Charcoal Pit.

Ok, I think I'm out of ideas for now. See anything that looks interesting?

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes: Here are some places in Delaware that may or may not interest you…

Excellent!
I had about two thirds of that list identified, but you’ve given me a number of new things to consider. If we do this… it will be a fairly wide swing through the Mid-Atlantic, so I wouldn’t be in the area more then about a day and a half, so now I’ll have to narrow that list down a might.

I’m still debating on weather or not to do a boardwalk beach town. I had also eyed the spots in Dover and Fort Delaware.

I hadn’t looked into the towns of Lewes or New Castle, so those will need farther researching.

The restaurants will be particularly helpful, as that’s the kind of thing where you really need a recommendation or you’re just taking a stab in the dark (not that I’m against random stabs, but I don’t know when I’d be able to get up that way again).

Thank you sir!

Excellent!
I had about two thirds of that list identified, but you’ve given me a number of new things to consider. If we do this… it will be a fairly wide swing through the Mid-Atlantic, so I wouldn’t be in the area more then about a day and a half, so now I’ll have to narrow that list down a might.

I’m still debating on weather or not to do a boardwalk beach town. I had also eyed the spots in Dover and Fort Delaware.

I hadn’t looked into the towns of Lewes or New Castle, so those will need farther researching.

The restaurants will be particularly helpful, as that’s the kind of thing where you really need a recommendation or you’re just taking a stab in the dark (not that I’m against random stabs, but I don’t know when I’d be able to get up that way again).

Thank you sir!

As I said, let me know if you do make it into the area. If you do decide to see Fort Delaware, you'll be within about 10 minutes of my house.

As for the restaurants, we do have fancier places, of course. I just tend to hang around the more casual joints.

As the saying goes, there's a lot to do in Delaware! You can go to Philly, Baltimore, D.C., ...

:rotfl2:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes: Here are some places in Delaware that may or may not interest you.

Most tourists coming to Delaware head straight for Delaware's beaches (New Jersey has a shore, we have beaches). From north to south, the beaches on the Atlantic Ocean are:
Cape Henlopen State Park (near Lewes)
Rehoboth Beach
Dewey Beach
Bethany BeachFenwick Island

All of them have free access, except Cape Henlopen which requires a fee to enter the park. Rehoboth Beach is the largest town and has the best boardwalk (i.e. the most attractions). The kids always enjoy the rides and games at Funland there. Dewey is known as the "party" beach and is where you are most likely to find inebriated people. Bethany is the "quiet" beach and is my favorite. Fenwick kind of bleeds into the much larger town of Ocean City, MD.
That about summed it up perfectly, but I would add Cape Henlopen as a State park is beautiful but the beach is close to the bay so very small waves and not much fun for boogie boarding. We prefer Tower Beach in Fenwick.
My wife's absolute favorite pizza place is near the town of Lewes. It's a hole-in-the-wall in a strip mall called Mr. P's that makes a nice wood-fired pizza. (Careful: they're cash only)
I'm so glad you didn't say Grotto. ;) I'll have to look for and try this place out.
The town of Lewes is where settlers first made landfall in Delaware.
And home of the Cape May/Lewes Ferry
Moving north, you can observe a bit of colonial history near the capital city of Dover. The center of the city has preserved several historic buildings around The Green, which is the old town square. The Old State House was the former capitol building in the early years of the state. Legislative Hall is nearby, where the legislature actively meets. South of the city near Dover Air Force Base is the John Dickinson Plantation, the preserved homestead of one of the signers of the Constitution.

I mentioned Dover Air Force Base. They have a cool museum on-site that is free of charge and has a lot of military planes to look over in the exhibits.

There's also Dover Downs if you're interested in NASCAR or gambling.

My favorite restaurant in Dover is Pizza Delight by Giacomo. Good pizza, good cheese steaks, and good Italian food.
I agree. And if you go to the one on RT8 you have Vitale's Ice cream a few stores down. Probably the best homemade ice-cream EVER!
More colonial sites can be found in the Town of New Castle.

Delaware is the only state without a national park, but we do have Bombay Hook National Wildlife refuge. This is a coastal area that's good for bird-watching and some hiking. You can spot crabs in the marshes and the occasional fox in the woods.

The city of Newark (here we pronounce it like it reads: New - Ark) is home to the University of Delaware, in my humble opinion one of the most beautiful college campuses in the nation. In Newark and the town of Claymont (north of Wilmington) resides my most favorite cheese steak place in the whole world: The Claymont Steak Shop.

I get hungry just thinking about it.

Getting closer to Wilmington now, the Hagley Museum is the site of the DuPont family gunpowder works, founded in 1802.

Knowing your interests, you surely will want to see the Kalmar Nyckel at the Wilmington Riverfront, a replica of the tall ship that sailed to Delaware in 1638 bearing Swedish settlers.

If you're interested in how the other half lived, you can tour Winterthur, the DuPont mansion. And it's technically in Pennsylvania (just across the border), but Longwood Gardens is nearby. It's another DuPont family landmark and happens to be where I proposed to my wife.

You might also be interested in Fort Delaware, a Civil War fort out in Delaware Bay on Pea Patch Island that was mostly used as a prison for Confederate soldiers.

Want a good hamburger and milkshake? We have a couple of good local joints. Check out either Jake's or the Charcoal Pit.

Ok, I think I'm out of ideas for now. See anything that looks interesting?

You make our little state sound so interesting. Good job :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter