• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sailing out of New York

One of my favorite places to stay in NYC is the Renaissance Times Square. They have a lounge that overlooks Times Square that has breakfast (not free) with amazing views. Walking really is preferred in NYC. We've found it faster than taking a cab, even when going several blocks. We are sailing from there in September and will be making another trip in June to NYC before the cruise.

We fly into JFK, which always seems to be under construction. We've tried to book flights into Newark, but we live just north of Dallas and get better fares on American or SouthWest into JFK than anything into Newark. We've tried car service, cab and Uber from JFK to NYC. They recently instituted a new program that requires you to take a shuttle from the terminal to a pick up area for either a car service or an Uber/Lyft. This is intended to reduce traffic during construction, but it makes it much less convenient. The shuttles are crowded and moving your luggage on and off is a pain. It's not a long ride, but once you get to the pick up area you go to a zone and then contact your driver to tell them what zone you are in. If you take a cab into the city, you can get picked up at the curb outside the terminal. Even though the cab line is long, it's now the most convenient way to get into the city.

We love live theater so we like to go to a show (or two) when we are in town. You can choose to buy tickets in advance to the more popular shows, or you can try your luck at the TKTS window. They sell the unsold tickets to some great shows the day of the show at substantial discounts. If you have a few shows on your list that you want to see, you'll likely get some decent seats through TKTS to one you'll really enjoy.

Dining in NYC is awesome too. Really great places that offer some unique choices. I love to use YELP in NYC. You will want to make some time for a dining experience, or just choose to pick a pizza place that has good reviews if you prefer. Yelp has not done me wrong.

If you get into town with a few days to explore, consider visiting the aircraft carrier Independence. We walked there from Times Square and then back again. You could also choose to do the hop-on, hop-off bus tour. We've done this too and it's a pretty fun way to explore the island and learn a bit about it's history. Of course there are all the obvious places such as the Financial district, 9/11 memorial, Central Park and the museums.

We became somewhat familiar with the subway system as well and found it surprisingly easy to navigate. In fact, google maps set to "train" will give you all the stations, including walking directions to and from where you want to go and the stations. Super easy.

Do you mean the aircraft carrier Intrepid? The one right by the port? If so, I totally agree. Very worth a trip to visit and explore. And I also thought you meant LGA which doesn't seem like it is always construction....IT IS always under construction and will be for the forseeable future LOL

We love Carmine's in Times Square (good with a group as entrees are served family style and are huge), John's Pizzeria (in an old Church) also on 44th and Becco which is good too.

MJ

Do you mean the aircraft carrier Intrepid? The one right by the port? If so, I totally agree. Very worth a trip to visit and explore. And I also thought you meant LGA which doesn't seem like it is always construction....IT IS always under construction and will be for the forseeable future LOL

We love Carmine's in Times Square (good with a group as entrees are served family style and are huge), John's Pizzeria (in an old Church) also on 44th and Becco which is good too.

MJ

And I will even take JFK's construction over LGA's any day. LGA is always my last resort airport here. JFK (easily accessible via subway and AirTrain) is always my first choice. Newark (accessible via train and AirTrain...but more expensive than subway and AirTrain) is a distant second. LGA (either a crowded city bus or pay for Lyft or a taxi - and pray that there aren't huge back-ups) is the "Ok...can I get there ANY OTHER WAY???? No???? *sigh* OK." very, very distant third choice.

MJ
I did mean Intrepid ... LOL ... here I am giving tips and can't even get the names of things right!
I do hate the LGA construction, but it has the cheapest flights.
Carmines has always been too busy, but maybe I'll give it a try next time I'm out there in June.

Has anyone taken either the train or bus from Providence RI? Peter Pan supposedly drops off at the port, however feeling like the train would be more comfortable? Traveling with older parents and ten year old. Trying to make this comfortable, affordable and convenient.

I've taken Amtrak between RI & NYC for the cruises and other trips. I find it comfortable; it's easy to stretch one's legs on the 3hr trip. Sometimes I take Northeast Regional from KIN for the free (but not secure) parking there, but for longer stints like the cruises, I usually go from PVD.

Hotel info: We are staying at the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton on Time Square in December for a non-cruise trip. The discounted rate is around $300/night for premium suite with a party of 4.

I did mean Intrepid ... LOL ... here I am giving tips and can't even get the names of things right!
I do hate the LGA construction, but it has the cheapest flights.
Carmines has always been too busy, but maybe I'll give it a try next time I'm out there in June.

We went to see Frozen on Broadway on March 1st and had a 5:30 pm reservation at Carmines. It worked out great. We had the parking, the show and dinner all right on 44th street. We were a group of six and were able to make Carmines reservations in advance at Opentable.com

MJ

Hi all
Just wondering if those who have previously flown into ny for cruise book their return on the Saturday or Sunday?

I was thinking a later sat flight would be ok- any advice would help
Ps - we are flying back to Toronto Canada - so short 1.5 hr flight

Hi all
Just wondering if those who have previously flown into ny for cruise book their return on the Saturday or Sunday?

When I cruised this itinerary last time, I flew home on Saturday late afternoon. It went quite smoothly and I actually got onto an earlier flight. (I think one at 12?) This time around though, we are staying in the city an extra day and leaving on Sunday. We just want the chance to catch a show. :)

Hi all

There going to kick you off the ship at 0900. I wouldn't make it too late unless you like sitting around a airport for hours.

Hello all! I am looking for some help and advice concerning a Disney Magic Cruise out of New York. We are from Southern California, and I have never been to New York. So, I was wondering what airport is best to fly into and where to stay pre and post cruise.....actually any advice for a sailing out of NYC would be appreciated!

Oh it is the sailing that covers the week of Thanksgiving....embark is 11/17 and disembark is 11/24....if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Liz
Hello we are on same cruise, We chose to fly into JFK from San Francisco. I have been checking google maps for a while checking travel times for all 3 airports and they all seem to be 30-45 min to port.
We are flying in day before and staying at the Marriot Marquis which is in times square about a mile form port. This is the hotel DCL uses and they booked it for us, they were 90.00 cheaper then booking direct, but it is about 500.00 per night.
Chris

Hi, I'm a Disney fan that lives in upstate NY and frequently travels to NYC for business and to visit my daughter at school in NYC. We generally try to avoid the Times Square area--sure, it's fun for a visit by foot, but staying in that area is a little chaotic. We like Marriott Hotels and if you book now, you might get a good rate--I'd recommend their boutique hotel, the Algonquin (which is an easy walk to Times Square, but not in Times Square), Renaissance 57, and The Lexington. Also the Essex House is awesome, right at the foot of Central Park. When my kids were younger, we much preferred hanging out in the Central Park area. You have the park and the zoo, plus museums (the Met, Natural History). There's also a Whole Foods at Columbus Circle that is convenient if you need to pick up a few things. My kids also liked walking up 5th Avenue to see the windows and stores. Since you can Uber anywhere, I don't think this would put you too far from the port.

Has anyone taken either the train or bus from Providence RI? Peter Pan supposedly drops off at the port, however feeling like the train would be more comfortable? Traveling with older parents and ten year old. Trying to make this comfortable, affordable and convenient.

I'm not aware of Peter Pan dropping off at the cruise terminal. From Providence, you'll be taken to Port Authority and from there you can do Uber or a taxi. The cruise terminal is very close to the bus terminal so it will work out well for everyone in your party. On the flip side, the train would be more comfortable, so you'll have to weigh your options. The train will pull into Penn Station and that's a short trip to the terminal as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone,s reply

All booked for air and hotel

We are staying not too far from port- about a 15 min walk to port or toward Central Park

Any suggestions for transport from airport to hotel?
We were thinking of booking a car for ease of transportation, but is it easy to get from LGA via public transport?
We are flying into LGA and then out of Newark to go home

Cheers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter