• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scholastic Book Clubs

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
When you were a child in school did you join the Scholastic Book Clubs at your school? They were a book club that sold books through a mail-order type of club and every month they would send you store ad-like brochures all about the newest and hottest books for sale and if you wanted to buy books you could fill out the order form and give it to your teacher and in a week you got the books you ordered. I LOVED the Scholastic Book Clubs and bought many books from there as a child and it was so neat and in addition they would give you bonus books too and I got lots of cool stuff when I joined and it's a shame that Scholastic Book Clubs are no longer seen in elementary schools today because along with Scholastic Book Fairs these clubs were the best part of going to school
Dodger

they still exist. they still have an on-line presence that teachers can sign up for to get the flyers for kids and i just found 8 scholastic book fairs on their site at 8 separate schools in our area over the next couple of months.

i loved them as a child too-i still have a number of books from them. back when i was a kid though the books were all hardback. .

I was a big fan of Scholastic Book Clubs as a child and I would get any books I loved like they had American Girl books and The Babysitter's Club books and even Disney movie books and it was so much fun and then I would get read along books and tape sets too from the Scholastic Book Clubs too and they would also have book clubs based on Scholastic book series too like Babysitters Little Sister Friendship Club and the Dear America My Memories Club and those were also great. I guess you could say I was a great reader as a little girl because I actually taught myself to read and am a great reader but I dislike reading out loud in front of people in public even in front of Mom and Dad. But it's nice that Scholastic has kept the book clubs alive in schools today. I wonder how much the books from the book club cost today? Because I don't recall how much my books from the Scholastic Book Club cost back then
Dodger

I always loved those as well! So much fun, and it's definitely still going. 😎 My "honorary niece and nephew" have had lots of the flyers since preschool (second grade now) and their school still has a book fair every year.

I don't remember the exact prices, but I think they were pretty reasonable, and IIRC, there were always one or two special deals.

Last edited:

I'm volunteering at my oldest's book fair next month. It's the second book fair of the year at his middle school. It is an amazing fundraiser for the school library--the librarian was able to order over $800 in new books for the students from the fall sale.

The elementary school still sends out the paper flyers, but there are more options in the online store. I love that shipping is free if I have the books sent to the school with the classroom teacher's order.

Never aware it was a "club", but we got the flyers and could order books through our teacher. I bought many books, despite the fact that my mom felt it wasn't appropriate for the teachers to essentially be selling things to their students.

My son’s school hosted a Scholastic Book Fair back in the fall. I was excited for him because it’s a nostalgia thing for me. My husband went in that day to “shop” it with him and everything. Unfortunately, the books my son wanted were out of stock so we ended up just ordering them from Amazon where they cost less anyway. It was kind of a bust.

We buy quite a few books this way through our son's. There is also the option to buy one for his school library or one for donation to somewhere else's school library through the program.

I vaguely remember them when I was a kid but I think they were much less frequent.

I also loved ordering books in elementary school! I have vague memories of the actual catalogs but definitely know we had them. The nursery school church hosts a Scholastic Book Sale once a year. Definitely a positive memory from childhood, thanks Dodger Girl :)

Never aware it was a "club", but we got the flyers and could order books through our teacher.

Same here. It wasn't a "club" back when the flyers were sent to my school, not one where members gather together and interact and discuss the books bought. We just received the flyers, bought the books and read them alone. Even if other students bought the same books that week, we didn't really discuss them together.

I loved those flyers. I bought a lot of Scholastic novels. 🥰 I remember when I finally moved on to higher grades that didn't pass out those flyers and there was no place to get more books like that for our age, I was at a deep, deep loss for books to read.

Book stores didn't have a "Young Adult" section back then. There was only very young juvenile books in the children's section, or hard core mysteries, with explicitly graphic details of blood & guts spilled out everywhere :scared: in the adult Mystery section, which was my preferred genre. All the "best sellers" seemed to be those violently detailed mysteries.

There also was no Internet back then with a Scholastic website or a way to find out how I could continue to get the flyers and order more books and have them delivered directly to my home. I actually stopped reading mysteries for a long, long time, as I just didn't want to read all those violent adult mystery novels.

Last edited:
Heard of it but we couldn't afford it. I was a regular at the library though.
Same.
The school did send us "Weekly Readers" from Scholastic in the summer weeks, and I loved those. They were just one big page folded in half (so the equivalent of four typed pages) ... it'd usually have 1-2 short stories and a couple puzzles. Getting that flyer in the mail was the BEST DAY of the summer week.

Our elementary schools have them. The PTA also has a fund for students in need so every child can purchase a book at the Scholastic Book fair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter