Seems like new fastpass rides aren't a good thing

I can see that being a big help.
That definitely is one of the benefits of a FP+ like system. It's not a good match for us because we tend to spend full days at the park, from rope drop until we drop, then up to do it again the next day. We get a minimum of Disney days per year so we have to make the most of them.

But if the system rolls out as I have heard described, and you have to be in the park to make the FP reservation, this won't be a benefit to DLR guests. They would not be able to book an evening FP until they arrive, and they might very well be gone by then.

With almost 2 decades of abusing the FastPass system to get a disproportionate share of rides, the theme park commandos have grown to have a sense of entitlement to the loopholes. Some might even say something really self-centered like "I am not willing to accept getting on a couple fewer headline rides per day", as if they own those rides.

Firstly who was abusing the system? The guests that could read and follow basic instructions for a system advertised on Disneys website and park maps?
Just because it didn't have the desired effect of driving people into shops and restaraunts doesn't mean it has lent helped Disney-for a start it increased the perceived value of the park ticket.

People aren't being entitled, I honestly feel this is an insult posters use when they have nor real argument to back up their beliefs.
If someone has ridden 10 rides a day with FP and there are changes that will make them only ride 6, then they have a right to feel the ticket value has decreased.
As far as what they can do about it? Well Disney is a business, we can choose to not give them our money if we don't feel it presents us with value for our dollar anymore, that's about it.
But most of us here would rather not do that, that doesn't mean that companies shouldn't hear from loyal guests with criticism in the hopes it brings positive change for them both.

As attendance increases, each guest is going to get fewer rides per day

As attendance increases, Disneys profit increases, as the profit increases so should the investment into the parks to build capacity for said increase to crowds. It is the only way to maintain customer satisfaction and avoid a drop off.

Just look at Guardians of the Galaxy. Instead of building a much needed new ride in DCA, they ripped up a much beloved ride and threw something that looks like radioactive looking vomit on it.
:rotfl2: So sad and true.

I was also wondering about Soarin' - is it really not that good compared to before (CA one)?

I really enjoyed the new Soarin'. But it was never my favorite ride, so I welcomed the changes.

However, I do feel for the Soarin' over California lovers. ToT is my favorite. I'm trying so hard to go in GoG without judgement. I truly want to like this ride, but it has big shoes to fill. Although I don't think I'll ever like the outside looks of it. :sad2:

I was also wondering about Soarin' - is it really not that good compared to before (CA one)?
I think it is as good as the previous one myself.

Being originally from California, the California version definitely tugs on my heart and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was one of my top rides at DLR.

Being fortunate to have traveled internationally quite a bit, the current version tugs on my "world traveler" heart.

I am looking forward to when the new Soarin has played out in newness and they bring the California version back to one screen and keep the world version on the other. The best of both "worlds", literally!

:wizard:

People aren't being entitled, I honestly feel this is an insult posters use when they have nor real argument to back up their beliefs.
If someone has ridden 10 rides a day with FP and there are changes that will make them only ride 6, then they have a right to feel the ticket value has decreased.
As far as what they can do about it? Well Disney is a business, we can choose to not give them our money if we don't feel it presents us with value for our dollar anymore, that's about it.
But most of us here would rather not do that, that doesn't mean that companies shouldn't hear from loyal guests with criticism in the hopes it brings positive change for them both.

This! Our first few times at DL we were the oblivious people who didn't know you could hold FP at both parks and how to use FP most efficiently. Then, we got more comfortable, didn't need maps, and wanted to make things more efficient and did a little bit of research and figured it out. We do not like sitting on benches and eating ice cream at DLR. We like to ride rides. So yes, when it becomes a problem to ride more than a few rides in an entire day there, that feels very inefficient and a waste of money - and I think it's ok to feel that way, because for every family like us, I'm sure there's another family who could care less about riding the racers every single day of their trip or always being on a ride.

We just got back tonight from 5 days. Matterhorn just came out of refurb, and it was breaking down constantly. It was basically closed all through EMH 2/4 park days for us, as well as off and on throughout the day. As was Space Mountain broken down from the start of EMH until about 15 minutes prior to the end of EMH, then it broke down again, both EMH days for us at MK. And Splash was down almost all of EMH. When that happens, it pushes everyone who wants to ride it into riding it later in the day. So those crazy waits were real. But we used FP and it was fine. Rides being down from the get go at EMH was much more frustrating to me (when not many rides are open to begin with, especially if the dark rides in fantasy land aren't your thing (ducking here!)) than longer standby times because at least I could circumvent that with FP. We used FP well this trip and it made all the difference. Only long FP line was TSM which was about 20-25 minutes in FP with 60 minutes SB at at time.

This! Our first few times at DL we were the oblivious people who didn't know you could hold FP at both parks and how to use FP most efficiently. Then, we got more comfortable, didn't need maps, and wanted to make things more efficient and did a little bit of research and figured it out. We do not like sitting on benches and eating ice cream at DLR. We like to ride rides. So yes, when it becomes a problem to ride more than a few rides in an entire day there, that feels very inefficient and a waste of money - and I think it's ok to feel that way, because for every family like us, I'm sure there's another family who could care less about riding the racers every single day of their trip or always being on a ride.

Agreed! This was the point of starting this thread :)

We didn't try to ride Spalsh, but were in line at another ride and talked to a family that said it was down (and this was still during EMH). They are California residents and seemed very experienced so I believed them. But I didn't try to ride it because I don't want to be wet at 8am! So I can't personally confirm it was open during EMH but that's what they told me. They were talking of going to GS and asking for another MM to be added to their 3 day So Cal pass because it was down during their only MM??? I wish I could personally confirm, but I can't. I can personally confirm both Space and Matterhorn were down both Saturday EMH and Tuesday EMH this week, for most of the EMH. We still rode them later, so we were ok.

We didn't try to ride Spalsh, but were in line at another ride and talked to a family that said it was down (and this was still during EMH). They are California residents and seemed very experienced so I believed them. But I didn't try to ride it because I don't want to be wet at 8am! So I can't personally confirm it was open during EMH but that's what they told me. They were talking of going to GS and asking for another MM to be added to their 3 day So Cal pass because it was down during their only MM??? I wish I could personally confirm, but I can't. I can personally confirm both Space and Matterhorn were down both Saturday EMH and Tuesday EMH this week, for most of the EMH. We still rode them later, so we were ok.

They were clearly confused as only Fantasyland and Tomorowland are open during EMH.

It wouldn't have been "down," just not open yet since it isn't part of MM. Perhaps they just checked the app, saw that it was closed, and didn't realize that's normal?

I didn't read all of this thread, so I might be repeating others, but maybe another reminder would be helpful to some out there,
The FP system at DLR was changed in April so that the DL and DCA systems are linked now. You can no longer get a FP at one park and immediately go get one at the other park. All one system. Sad, but true.

I think you all may be correct. They may have been confused.

In any case, I was frustrated that both EMH mornings at MK started with Space being down for nearly the entire hour. We did other things, but I wish there was a better system to help ensure the few rides that are supposed to be open during EMH, are actually functional and open during that time. I realize things happen at the moment, but it seemed too coincidental that SM was closed both mornings we tried it at EMH opening. It seemed that the ride operator's shifts started right before EMH opened, such that any problems that were discovered would have no time to be repaired prior to EMH opening. Maybe this is typical, but it was not great. All in all, though, we had an excellent trip and rode lots of rides!

Does adding extra fp impact how many fastpasses people end up getting all day? Because if now they are getting TS ones, then they are prob not getting as many other ones. So like maybe RSR is faster return times?

DCA had a lack of FP rides that the small children could ride. If you went with a 3Y/O, and didn't want to child swap, you couldn't get FP to anything. Adding FP to Toy Story gives those people something to get FP for. So, many of those FPs are going to people that didn't get FPs before. I can see how, if you don't visit with a 3 y/o, you don't give a flying about those people that do... but others can see life is not all about them.

Matterhorn is the opposite. People now getting Matterhorn FPs are not getting FPs to other thrill rides, freeing up more FPs on those other attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter