Selftrade -admin fee

After finally getting through to Selftrade yesterday, they feel that the charge is justified for them to manage a share account (they seem more interested in regular buyers rather than the majority of us that have bought the 20 to get into the shareholders club). The only option I feel available to us all is to request your share certificate from them and close the account.

Although there is a fee of £10 for the certificate, I had no intention of selling the shares so I dont really need Selftrade anymore!!!

They told me that the share certificate will be here in 7 working days so once I have got it I will close my account.

Hope this information is of use.

The man i spoke to said i couldn't have a paper certificate!! don't know whether to phone back or not

Oh I dont belive it ,i,d just got my hubby to agree that buying shares was a good idea and i had a bit of overtime from work phew glad i got busy and forgot about it yestaday phew we have to look at other options

abbey & cahoot mention a quartly fee in their charges section....
oh, and hsbc u need an account with them to have a share account.... :(
halifax is a min of £100 and hargreaves lansdown can only trade non uk shares by phone!!! arghhhhhhhhhhhh

i only have 5 shares and it does feel so daft all this for 5 shares, but i never bought them to sell them and make profit so certainly dont want to sell them!!

but, have sum shares from work also (tesco) so i think whereever i go for i will transfer them too....

Nikki...with the Halifax it's £100 to open the account but you can transfer it out as soon as the account is opened :thumbsup2

Damn it!! Now I can't even find my account number!!!! I AM NOT HAVING A GOOD DAY

right - just spoke with halifax and they are fab!!
john, u are exactly right - as long as theres sum shares in there, there isnt a problem and its £11.95 to deal - so i am going for it otherwise ill still be wondering and worrying - need to get it all moving!!

I phoned today and was told I couldn't get a paper certificate either :eek::eek: and would be charged the 10 pounds transfer fee.

They don't seem to be very sure about how to deal with this at all.I think I will be stealing Hazel's suggested text and sending them a snotty email or letter

right - just spoke with halifax and they are fab!!
john, u are exactly right - as long as theres sum shares in there, there isnt a problem and its £11.95 to deal - so i am going for it otherwise ill still be wondering and worrying - need to get it all moving!!

and why not top up to 20 while you are at it :rotfl:

Think I'm off into town on my lunch break to speak to the Halifax...Selftrade say that transfers can take 6-8 weeks...hopefully if we have our transfer notifications in before the 1st July they won't charge us anything!

and why not top up to 20 while you are at it :rotfl:

Think I'm off into town on my lunch break to speak to the Halifax...Selftrade say that transfers can take 6-8 weeks...hopefully if we have our transfer notifications in before the 1st July they won't charge us anything!

i will def top up before may 2010 so i dont have to pay any fee lol
yes - halifax do say transfers can take a while - have to set up the account, and wait til its set up THEN transfer shares - so think i might phone selftrade and tell them ill be transfering - as the form on their site says that, u can send the form, but it will only initiate once they get a request from a new broker!!! but, it might be a point to send the form in ready, so that once halifax do request, the form is at selftrade waiting!!

says on selftrade that the fee is actioned from august..... so i think if we say we are transfering before july 1st - we shud be ok???? god its complicated!

Ive just come off the phone from selftrade again to confirm that they have requested my share certificate. Ref Dave and Emma both advised the share certificate has been requested and when I have just checked my online account on selftrade they have requested the £10 for the certificate.

i'm starting to think why we all went with selftrade in the first place, they dont seem to know what they are doing!!!!

How long did you have to wait on the phone today MeganOliver?
Just trying to sort it out now, but don't know how big the phone queue is.

Thank goodness for all of you :grouphug:

I opened my Selftrade letter and as I am busy threw it in the folder with barely a glance.

I'm with Reid! Thank you (particularly to Angela) for bringing this to my attention, and thank you cap'njack for all your helpful research. :worship:

How long did you have to wait on the phone today MeganOliver?
Just trying to sort it out now, but don't know how big the phone queue is.
it was about 5 minutes today (at least 0845 numbers are included on my BT plan now!!!)

I asked them if they would consider a group share holding. So for example if there was 45 of us holding shares we would all pay £1 per year each. As I think the majority have no intention of selling them. I told them all we would need is the contract note every two years to renew. They have asked me to put it is a secure message so I will let you know what they say.

Thanks, I was a little longer than you on the phone there - 7 minutes first time (then I got cut off) and 12 minutes just now. But I have arranged, with no problem, to get my shares in certificate form, they have now been requested. I just have to download my account closure form and get that sent off recorded delivery.

I'm glad we have some share-dealing whizz kids on this forum :)

Result! I left my number for Selftrade to call me back and a nice man just called me, we have arranged for my share certificate to be sent directly to me for a fee of £10 (not particularly happy with that but that can be fought over once I have the certificate :goodvibes) and it should be with me within 10 days.

Think I'll just buy a nice little frame and keep it in the hallway rather than risk all of this again :lmao:

Result! I left my number for Selftrade to call me back and a nice man just called me, we have arranged for my share certificate to be sent directly to me for a fee of £10 (not particularly happy with that but that can be fought over once I have the certificate :goodvibes) and it should be with me within 10 days.

Think I'll just buy a nice little frame and keep it in the hallway rather than risk all of this again :lmao:

sorry if this is a dumb question but i know nothing about shares, if you buy shares and get them in a certificate does that mean you hold them yourself, arent looking to trade them just keep them and there are no fees to anybody and you can still get your shareholders card. everywhere i am looking at are charging yearly fees starting at 80 euros plus vat and other charges. i guess thats more geared towards regular traders rather than a once off

yes that's right. You hold them yourself and you keep them as long as you want to (unless someone buys the company and it is taken off the stock exchange). Shareholders club will just require a copy of your certificate at renewal time, although they should be able to check your shareholding is still live themselves.

I think framing it and hanging it in the hallway sounds a good idea.

Just make sure once you get it that you dont lose it. Getting replacements from UK companies is a nightmare, so I cant imagine trying to get one issued from France.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter