Sept 18 2010 WB TransAtlantic Pirates/Capt Jacks Re-Repoing Repossession Cruise Pt.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I think we'll be booking this tomorrow...as long as Allseas has two cat 10s left. We haven't been on the Magic since the EB repo in 2005, so very excited as you can imagine. I need...hotel info, someplace cheap to stay Friday night...where to buy alcohol Sat am to take on board...REAS info. It will be me, my DH, DS (20 and autistic), and my mom. Excursions...any feedback on good ones on this cruise ? DH will want to scuba dive as much as possible. Looking forward to chatting w/ all of you.

Welcome! You could look at the above chart to see where DIS folks have settled in for hotels. We chose the Praktik Barcelona because it is near other DIS friends, but less costly. It looks to be a nice place and reasonable priced.

Buckeye Gal - Great hotel list! If you like, you can add my FIL and MIL (John & Ramona) in with us as well, for a total of 6 in our party. Thanks!

Those staying at the Renaissance, have you already reserved the shuttle the hotel offers to the port, or do we do it closer to the trip?

Romantic Escape at Sea, it was romance package offered in pervious years.

DCL Robes
Chocolates
A Palo dinner (?)
same booking window as suites
plus....

Do you want to know how many bags people will have??:scared1::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

After the EB Panama I think we have a very good idea of how much luggage there is - holy cow Batman!

Thought I'd post a picture of our FE...as you can see it hangs on the fish outside your stateroom.

CIMG1162.jpg

I remember seeing your door on our last cruise and admiring your FE. :)

Just a quick update on ground transport from Barcelona hotels to the port, I have responded to all those have expressed an interest so far and we have 17 people from PR and 2 from PB.

If you want to add your name to the list (no obligation at this stage), please send me a PM so I don't miss it in the general chatter.

Hey guys!

I have a possible silly question for anyone familiar with exchanging currency. 'Cause I have noooo idea! :)

How do I know what a good exchange rate is?

I had the same questions. I found out from my bank that you can get American Express Travellers checks in EUROS :) For my bank you have to order them and it has cost of $10 per order, but it's so much better than the outrageous fees paid overseas. Worst comes to worst, we can use them on our ship board account after we leave Europe.

We are planning to use them to pay for hotel and other expenses in Barcelona so we don't have to use our bankcards overseas. The last time we did, the fees and terrible exchange rate made my $20 Mexican blanket cost close to $40.

Also, if I'm buying the Euros NOW and the exchange rate continues to worsen, I'm making money (or at least things are not costing as much . . .LOL).

Hope that helps, too :)

Based on our various posts, I've compiled a Barcelona Hotel Roll Call List. If you have updates or additions, please feel free to PM me. I'll keep my eye on the thread's posts as well.

You'll see that I sorted by DIS Name, yet primarily color coded by hotel. The last column is also color coded by arrival date, regardless of which hotel. If you're color-blind, you have the text for back-up. :upsidedow

Perhaps this can help stir conversation between people who may want to consider sharing transportation from the airport or meet up with new and old friends in the city! :goodvibes

Kimberly, thank you for putting this together!!! I am just realizing I need to get on the ball and get our reservations for air and hotel done.

Can someone explain to me about the local hotels. Do they all only have two singles or a double bed? We have 4 of us going and the boys (at 16 yo and 13 yo) don't really fit into a tiny bed any more . . .LOL. Do I need to get TWO rooms. Golly that is pricey! Has anyone found an easy, inexpensive solution?

Also WHERE do we go to meet the ship on 9/18? I saw some folks were putting together busses again (smart to have room for luggage this time after the fiasco in the EB REPO - never forget the angry Japanese driver . . .LOL). I am thinking that hubby might want to go it alone this time . . .

Thanks a bunch! With all the snow on the ground here in VA today, I'm warming to the thoughts of Barcelona!

Kimberly, thank you for putting this together!!! I am just realizing I need to get on the ball and get our reservations for air and hotel done.

Can someone explain to me about the local hotels. Do they all only have two singles or a double bed? We have 4 of us going and the boys (at 16 yo and 13 yo) don't really fit into a tiny bed any more . . .LOL. Do I need to get TWO rooms. Golly that is pricey! Has anyone found an easy, inexpensive solution?

Also WHERE do we go to meet the ship on 9/18? I saw some folks were putting together busses again (smart to have room for luggage this time after the fiasco in the EB REPO - never forget the angry Japanese driver . . .LOL). I am thinking that hubby might want to go it alone this time . . .

Thanks a bunch! With all the snow on the ground here in VA today, I'm warming to the thoughts of Barcelona!

There are a couple of groups who have rented apartments. There are loads around and some look really nice. I think an apartment might work out cheaper than 2 rooms.

I had the same questions. I found out from my bank that you can get American Express Travellers checks in EUROS :) For my bank you have to order them and it has cost of $10 per order, but it's so much better than the outrageous fees paid overseas. Worst comes to worst, we can use them on our ship board account after we leave Europe.

We are planning to use them to pay for hotel and other expenses in Barcelona so we don't have to use our bankcards overseas. The last time we did, the fees and terrible exchange rate made my $20 Mexican blanket cost close to $40.
You might want to email your hotel to make sure they will accept travelers checks.

You might also check with DCL to see if the ship will accept travelers checks in Euros.

Woody

I am going to do a suggested delivery date so that the gifts are distributed each day of the cruise. My goal is that not everyone does delivery on the same date... I read about that happening and people were disappointed...

Although in theory this is fine I think if there is a date involved in delivering I may pass. With everything going on on-board I think it will be hard to maintain that you go on a certain day. I have never found an issue with delivery dates especially on the 14 nighters as you get something almost every day. Saying "you should deliver this day" just seems like a complete pain as how do you know if you would be able to do something that day? I know its only a suggested date but I may have to reconsider taking part as I don't think this will suite me personally. I'd rather decide to do it when and if I get 5 mins not feel I have to deliver it on a certain day.

This will be my first Disney cruise and i've been seeing lots of pictures of peoples decorated doors. i'm starting to think about what to include on mine.

Yours looks great.

I'm looking forward to making my fish extender too, and i've been looking around the boards for inspiration.

How wide can i make it so it hangs in that narrow bit of wall beside the door?

SW

8 inches sounds about right. Think mines around that.

Hi,
I think we'll be booking this tomorrow...as long as Allseas has two cat 10s left. We haven't been on the Magic since the EB repo in 2005, so very excited as you can imagine. I need...hotel info, someplace cheap to stay Friday night...where to buy alcohol Sat am to take on board...REAS info. It will be me, my DH, DS (20 and autistic), and my mom. Excursions...any feedback on good ones on this cruise ? DH will want to scuba dive as much as possible. Looking forward to chatting w/ all of you.

Hiya! Hope you join us. We loved the Rock Tour in Gibraltar. That was about the only one I saw that was previously offered that Id done. There is some shops in the port to buy cheap booze. REAS isn't available according to DCL. Oh and hotels we're staying at the Renaissance at the airport as flying in late on Friday so didn't see the point in going anywhere else.

The Renaissance is close to the airport or port ? I was counting on the REAS, for booking things. Anything comparable ?

Hi,
:wave2:welcome from us over here in scotland:wave2:
We have rented an apartment, worked out cheaper than hotel and we have cooker, washing machine and lovely balcony, although we only plan to use balcony!
There are a couple of groups who have rented apartments. There are loads around and some look really nice. I think an apartment might work out cheaper than 2 rooms.

If we had got a cheap hotel it would be about the same, but Im sure the apartment will be nicer for the money!:cool2:

Well, it is official we will have to bow out of the WBTA in order to pay for our EBTA. We had a work scheduling conflict in Sept and were fortuante enough to be able to get on the EBTA.

I will still lurk over here though as you all are so much fun and have such good information and advice!

And hello to all you lucky ones going on both ends of the repositioning! So awesome!

Tata for now.

Well, it is official we will have to bow out of the WBTA in order to pay for our EBTA. We had a work scheduling conflict in Sept and were fortuante enough to be able to get on the EBTA.

I will still lurk over here though as you all are so much fun and have such good information and advice!

And hello to all you lucky ones going on both ends of the repositioning! So awesome!

Tata for now.

That's a shame, but at least you don't have as long to wait till your cruise!!!:lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter