• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sept, October or November?

Gamble20

Earning My Ears
Hi all - hopefully my last question for a while. I’ve been saving to take my family to Disney for about three years and always planned to visit Sept 2021. However, recently I’ve become undecided on which month is more attractive.

I know from a price and crowd standpoint September is best. However, the lower amounts of rain in November (plus holiday decor?) sounds nice too. Pre-Thanksgiving of course. I am also hearing rumors now that Disney may be putting off 50th anniversary celebrations until Oct. I went to the park during the infamous birthday cake castle 25th ani as a kid, so I thought it’d be cool to be a part of the 50th celebrations too. But with two younger kids and a wife who is.. less disney enthusiastic (she enjoys it, but not like me) I don’t know if we want significantly more crowds.

Any advice on which month you would go with?

Unless you are extremely acclimated to high heat and humidity at home, you will find September to be almost unbearably hot. Did it once, and never again. In 10 days, our only comfortable moments of the day were in the air-conditioned car on the way to the park. Once out of the car, we’d be sweat-soaked in what seemed to be minutes. It was just d@mned hot, right around the clock. Lots of rain, too, which never reduced the heat or humidit.

A/C in attractions and restaurants could quickly chill some of our always damp party, so we had to carry light jackets for them for those places.

October will still be very, very warm most days, but evenings can be very pleasant. November is even nicer, although you could get a “cool” day where it only reach 65-70.

Unless you are extremely acclimated to high heat and humidity at home, you will find September to be almost unbearably hot. Did it once, and never again. In 10 days, our only comfortable moments of the day were in the air-conditioned car on the way to the park. Once out of the car, we’d be sweat-soaked in what seemed to be minutes. It was just d@mned hot, right around the clock. Lots of rain, too, which never reduced the heat or humidit.

A/C in attractions and restaurants could quickly chill some of our always damp party, so we had to carry light jackets for them for those places.

October will still be very, very warm most days, but evenings can be very pleasant. November is even nicer, although you could get a “cool” day where it only reach 65-70.
I live in Texas currently, so heat isn’t abnormal for me. Doesn’t mean I enjoy it, but it’s not abnormal.

We've visited in both October & November (Thanksgiving week) in the past.

Temps in October were significantly warmer - 80's-90's during our entire trip. Temps in November were low to mid 70's. Even with being there over Thanksgiving, the parks felt much more crowded in October. We spent Thanksgiving Day at the MK and the crowds were very manageable. I went in with realistic expectations that day so maybe that's why it didn't seem so bad. I was imagining the worst case scenario!

With all that said, I still prefer October. While the Christmas decor was beautiful, fall is my favorite season and there was just something magical about spending that time of year at WDW.

I've never visited in September before but from what I've gathered, it's very rainy. I remember following reports from the early MNSSHPs from September and it seemed like it was pouring rain in almost every post. Based on that, I try to avoid Orlando in September altogether.

Is the weather too cool to do any swimming? I assumed yes, but not sure.
It was absolutely warm enough to swim in October. Swimming in November was hit or miss when we were there. We had a few days in the mid to upper 60's and had to throw on sweatshirts at certain times of the day. We spent much more time at the pool during our October trip than we did in November.

Is the weather too cool to do any swimming? I assumed yes, but not sure.
I wouldn't say so necessarily. Most of our days were mid-upper 70s. It got chilly enough after dark for sweatshirts a few nights, but there was only 1 day that we actually wore long pants the whole day.

It was absolutely warm enough to swim in October. Swimming in November was hit or miss when we were there. We had a few days in the mid to upper 60's and had to throw on sweatshirts at certain times of the day. We spent much more time at the pool during our October trip than we did in November.
Same for us, but we didn't necessarily build any pool time in during the November trip. For the October trip we stayed at YC and we knew we want some SAB time, so we took a break during our EP day and went back and swam/relaxed for a few hours. Had we not resort hopped during our free morning during the November trip, we probably would have spent some time in the pool. In fact, I think my friend who arrived the day before the rest of us spent some time in the pool that night.

We have been there in April, October, and November. November has been the best. Lower crowds and mild weather.

The other issue with September is that it’s the height of hurricane season. Between that and the heat/humidity, I’d pick November! (PS I grew up and still live along the Gulf Coast, so I’m familiar with heat and humidity and prefer not to vacation in it.)

I was at WDW during Dorian last year and it wasn't really that rainy at all except for the day of the Hurricane. I have been to WDW in the past in September its always been quick showers and nothing really to worry much about except to come with maybe a poncho or umbrella. Plus being that its hotter still you can get by with wearing clothing that will dry quicker and things like shorts and sandals.

September is going to be your best chance at low crowds. Disney discounts during that month for a reason. September is also going to have F+W and Halloween Party.

The only other time I would choose during your months is whenever the Christmas decorations would be up in November and they have the Christmas Party starting.

Could you run in to a hurricane, sure. Will the resort be shut down, doubtful. I would just plan to be flexible to leave for WDW a tad early or come home a tad late if a Hurricane happens during your planned trip. Oh and one benefit is when a hurricane does happen during your trip the crowds will be extremely low.

Oct and May are my absolute favorite times of the year to go. October is so nice with the slightly cooler temps but still can swim. And the Halloween decorations are so fun.

Sounds like based on the comments November is less crowded than October? What about jersey week. Is that crowded? Seems like a good week to go to try and still keep a little bit warmer on average than later in the month.

I was at WDW during Dorian last year and it wasn't really that rainy at all except for the day of the Hurricane. I have been to WDW in the past in September its always been quick showers and nothing really to worry much about except to come with maybe a poncho or umbrella. Plus being that its hotter still you can get by with wearing clothing that will dry quicker and things like shorts and sandals.

September is going to be your best chance at low crowds. Disney discounts during that month for a reason. September is also going to have F+W and Halloween Party.

The only other time I would choose during your months is whenever the Christmas decorations would be up in November and they have the Christmas Party starting.

Could you run in to a hurricane, sure. Will the resort be shut down, doubtful. I would just plan to be flexible to leave for WDW a tad early or come home a tad late if a Hurricane happens during your planned trip. Oh and one benefit is when a hurricane does happen during your trip the crowds will be extremely low.
I’ve actually gone in September a few times. It’s all I really know. I didn’t find rain to ruin the trips either. But it can be kind of muggy/too cloudy and I thought maybe I should try for a seasonal change for sunnier days. I just don’t want crowds to be jarring compared to the sept crowds I’ve grown accustomed to.

We've gone several times in September and always enjoy it, but it is just soooo hot and muggy.
We went November 12-20, 2018 and the weather was just delightful. Truly lovely. Warm during the day, cool in the mornings and evenings. Definitely warm enough during the day to swim, but we spent most of our time in the parks. Crowds were higher than September, but very doable. I highly recommend November.

Sounds like based on the comments November is less crowded than October? What about jersey week. Is that crowded? Seems like a good week to go to try and still keep a little bit warmer on average than later in the month.
We were there November 13-17 in 2019 and October 10-14 in 2018. The November crowds were significantly less than the October crowds even though both came right after a holiday weekend (Veteran's Day vs Columbus Day).

I have not been in September, but I have been in October and November. We went the last week of November 2018, the week after Thanksgiving. It was mid 70s the day we arrived, absolutely beautiful. Then a cold front passed through and it did not get above 65 for the rest of our trip. One morning it was 40. We still loved it, but jackets were a must and there was no swimming. The Christmas decorations and party were fantastic.

We went mid-October last year. The temperature was perfect, mostly 70s. We only had rain one day, but it was a full-out tropical storm. We still loved it, despite getting soaked. The Halloween decorations and party were fantastic.

Crowds were low both times. It was probably lower in November, but not by enough to make a difference. I wouldn't count on low crowds next year, though, although who knows. The weather was completely different, but both months have so much variation that YMMV with either, and ultimately neither type of weather detracted from our fun. The decorations were different, but both amazing. We probably enjoyed the Halloween party more, but the Christmas party was great, too. Between the two months, I would say that depends on your personal preference for maybe cooler/dryer (November) vs. maybe warmer/wetter (October) and Christmas vs. Halloween decorations.

I live in Texas currently, so heat isn’t abnormal for me. Doesn’t mean I enjoy it, but it’s not abnormal.
Texans are about the only ones that ever came to mind when I think about who could enjoy a September visit! :worship:

We are Canadian and it was nearly unbearable! We kept going but in truth, our strongest memories of that trip were of being hot and sticky all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter