Serious question: Does Disney still emphasize their special brand of customer service in training new CMs?

I think it's a combination of things, but not the least of them is that everyone gets much more offended much more quickly than we used to. This applies both to CMs and guests. It used to be that if someone was rude, you shrugged it off, smiled and moved on. Now, it becomes a symptom of something bigger, or disrespect, or just that the world is falling apart. I think there have always been lousy guests and lousy CMs, but in the past we would have not paid it much mind. Now it becomes a grievance.

To answer the OP, I think front-facing employees used to act as though the customer was always right, and not to take anything they say personally. But now, if a customer gets upset, the CMs feel attacked or disrespected, and that becomes they attitude in dealing with the next ones. Or they don't like being criticized by their supervisors, because they are entitled to feel how they feel. it's the evolution of the culture at this point.

If I were Chapek I’d be requiring more accountability from the CIO.

I think a LOT of the customer and CM bad experiences could be avoided completely with good, reliable technology. Instead, they are forcing people to self-service technology solutions that don’t work.

I love the self-serve on my phone model, but when it doesn’t work the house of cards falls.

I think it's a combination of things, but not the least of them is that everyone gets much more offended much more quickly than we used to. This applies both to CMs and guests. It used to be that if someone was rude, you shrugged it off, smiled and moved on. Now, it becomes a symptom of something bigger, or disrespect, or just that the world is falling apart. I think there have always been lousy guests and lousy CMs, but in the past we would have not paid it much mind. Now it becomes a grievance.

To answer the OP, I think front-facing employees used to act as though the customer was always right, and not to take anything they say personally. But now, if a customer gets upset, the CMs feel attacked or disrespected, and that becomes they attitude in dealing with the next ones. Or they don't like being criticized by their supervisors, because they are entitled to feel how they feel. it's the evolution of the culture at this point.

There is definitely some truth in this. Societal changes brought on by instant and constant communication with others has amplified a lot of our perceptions and reactions, though this is only a part of the whole picture.

Customers are literally out of control, it has gotten markedly worse in the past few years, enough that media outlets are reporting it ( look up what is happening to flight attendants)

combined with front facing employees being treated like disposable chum to throw at people while at the same time being told they are essential heroes but not being compensated like it until they are begged to come back to said jobs

yeah it’s not surprising at all

This is true. I also expect that any company charging me $800/night for a room and $100/day for a park ticket is paying their employees a living wage and giving them the support they need to do their jobs well.

Doesn’t jive with infinite growth.

end stage capitalism has already cut all the meat off the bone now it’s hacking at the bone

That's across the board in any person facing industry. My sister's vet had to send a letter to all pet owners asking that they not be so mean to the staff.
I happened to leave my person facing position in 2020, and while I loved my work group, I am so happy I don't have to deal with people right now.

Had a similar letter from my vet. He had lost a number of his staff during the pandemic because people were yelling at, ignoring, or mistreating them. :mad: They had to send our reminders to all the patients - which was very sad.

Having said that and agreeing with the above comments that guests have become more rude testing even the best CM's patience, I will add that over my past 2 trips during the pandemic, my experiences have been varied. The service has not been up to Disney standards, that's true. However, I have only encountered one CM who I would consider to be rude - and he clearly stated that he was not supposed to be in a customer facing position (he was working there due to lack of staff). I have definitely had some experiences that you could consider sub-optimal - but I think the blame for them lies mainly in the stress of the situation and not the training (or lack of) for the CM or any sense of "we don't care". Certainly not at the CM level. CM's may be construed as being rude by demanding guests not getting their snowflake way, but that's not the same as being rude. Usually the CM's are trying to be as polite as possible; but there is no level of polite to say "you can't do that" which is going to satisfy some people.

Had a similar letter from my vet. He had lost a number of his staff during the pandemic because people were yelling at, ignoring, or mistreating them. :mad: They had to send our reminders to all the patients - which was very sad.

Having said that and agreeing with the above comments that guests have become more rude testing even the best CM's patience, I will add that over my past 2 trips during the pandemic, my experiences have been varied. The service has not been up to Disney standards, that's true. However, I have only encountered one CM who I would consider to be rude - and he clearly stated that he was not supposed to be in a customer facing position (he was working there due to lack of staff). I have definitely had some experiences that you could consider sub-optimal - but I think the blame for them lies mainly in the stress of the situation and not the training (or lack of) for the CM or any sense of "we don't care". Certainly not at the CM level. CM's may be construed as being rude by demanding guests not getting their snowflake way, but that's not the same as being rude. Usually the CM's are trying to be as polite as possible; but there is no level of polite to say "you can't do that" which is going to satisfy some people.

There's nothing worse than having to interact with customers when that is not your normal job. People are exhausting. People on vacation are extra exhausting.

I still remember waiting in line at guest services on my honeymoon and some mom was screaming at the poor cast member because Anna and Elsa only did a short meet and greet. Like it was the cast member's fault that the schedule wasn't the best...and I think the cast member politely asked how he could help her day get better and all she did was berate him about Anna and Elsa needing to be more available.

My CM interactions over the last year have been far and away superior, friendlier, happier, etc. than previous trips. I'm not usually one to notice those kind of differences, but it was pretty noticeable. The CMs are most definitely still making magic.

And that has seemed to be the majority consensus on trip reports I've been reading over the last year to year and a half.
I've seen quite a few new hires who were just plain confused and overwhelmed from being short-staffed and under-trained, but there's been absolutely no lack of friendliness and willingness to help.

There's nothing worse than having to interact with customers when that is not your normal job. People are exhausting. People on vacation are extra exhausting.

I still remember waiting in line at guest services on my honeymoon and some mom was screaming at the poor cast member because Anna and Elsa only did a short meet and greet. Like it was the cast member's fault that the schedule wasn't the best...and I think the cast member politely asked how he could help her day get better and all she did was berate him about Anna and Elsa needing to be more available.

Right. Perfect example. She probably thought of that as a rude cast member even though there is nothing that the CM could have done, really.

As a recent former CM, the answer is yes the company is not supportive anymore. I noticed the changes about 3 years ago when I worked in merchandise and there was a shift in customer service towards confronting the guests. We were no longer in a supportive role. We had to ask who they were shopping for, what they were looking for, and if we didn't have it, suggest something in our store for them to buy, and of course thank them for shopping there at the end. I personally like to shop in peace but we had to constantly "engage" people coming in the store. I personally hated doing it, and hated when I was shopping and someone did it to me. Profit is now the first key!
The leaders are under great stress to keep costs down and therefore they are scheduling less people. Less people and more work for the CM's to do on a wage that doesn't cover the cost of living in Central Florida. During the pandemic CM's were treated very poorly. Now they brought in so many college program kids that part-time employees are not getting scheduled any hours...which makes for angry cast members. This was the first time the college program kids were not interviewed on the phone, so that indicates how desperate Disney is for bodies. I have family and friends still working for Disney and one person recently had traditions for the third time. She worked at the parks for 3 years, did a college program and now came back PT. She said traditions was not at all what it was before, so the new CM's aren't getting "indoctrinated" the same. Disney can't hire enough people right now and are taking anyone that can pass the background check. I have noticed this attitude when I worked in the parks and I see it when visiting the parks.
The CM's are fed up with Disney and the guests who are just horrible. I went to Disney Springs yesterday afternoon to look at the 50th merchandise and I have never seen people act so terribly. They were pushing and shoving, grabbing merchandise out of the CM's carts while they were restocking items, and one CM said someone snatched something directly out of their hand. People are awful now, and think CM's deserve to be treated better? I disagree and get angry with people that post CM's are rude...yes they can be, but it is a direct reflection on their working conditions, management, and guests. It will never be the same Disney as even 5 years ago, and people need to adjust their expectations.

As a recent former CM, the answer is yes the company is not supportive anymore. I noticed the changes about 3 years ago when I worked in merchandise and there was a shift in customer service towards confronting the guests. We were no longer in a supportive role. We had to ask who they were shopping for, what they were looking for, and if we didn't have it, suggest something in our store for them to buy, and of course thank them for shopping there at the end. I personally like to shop in peace but we had to constantly "engage" people coming in the store. I personally hated doing it, and hated when I was shopping and someone did it to me. Profit is now the first key!
The leaders are under great stress to keep costs down and therefore they are scheduling less people. Less people and more work for the CM's to do on a wage that doesn't cover the cost of living in Central Florida. During the pandemic CM's were treated very poorly. Now they brought in so many college program kids that part-time employees are not getting scheduled any hours...which makes for angry cast members. This was the first time the college program kids were not interviewed on the phone, so that indicates how desperate Disney is for bodies. I have family and friends still working for Disney and one person recently had traditions for the third time. She worked at the parks for 3 years, did a college program and now came back PT. She said traditions was not at all what it was before, so the new CM's aren't getting "indoctrinated" the same. Disney can't hire enough people right now and are taking anyone that can pass the background check. I have noticed this attitude when I worked in the parks and I see it when visiting the parks.
The CM's are fed up with Disney and the guests who are just horrible. I went to Disney Springs yesterday afternoon to look at the 50th merchandise and I have never seen people act so terribly. They were pushing and shoving, grabbing merchandise out of the CM's carts while they were restocking items, and one CM said someone snatched something directly out of their hand. People are awful now, and think CM's deserve to be treated better? I disagree and get angry with people that post CM's are rude...yes they can be, but it is a direct reflection on their working conditions, management, and guests. It will never be the same Disney as even 5 years ago, and people need to adjust their expectations.
That’s so disheartening.
I like to think that they could reverse this trend by paying more and hiring better (and more) , then maybe the CMs are happier so the guests are happier and the happiness becomes self-perpetuating again

We had to do that at Macy's, too, and I hated it. They like to pretend it's good customer service, but it was really for loss prevention - when people know you're watching them they're less likely to steal.

I remember a friend in college making that comment about how she didn't want much in life, just the living her parents had and thought that should be easy on one income. Both her parents were public school teachers in a district that paid pretty well, one with a masters degree and one with a Ph.D and both at that point had 20+ years in the district.

These boards promote a whole lot of FOMO and I'm sure contribute to some folks' feeling bad about what they can afford compared to the people who make sure everyone knows they have an upcoming CL room at the Poly for the whole month of December. It's a shame, really.

Unfortunately, one of the worst things Disney could have allowed was for a little but of pixie dust to be handed out. Free ice cream here or an upgrade there and all of the sudden everyone expected it. You see posts on these boards all of time asking how to get them. 10 years ago, when everything wasn't reported online immediately when it happens, it was a good surprise and nothing more. Now, it causes 50 new people to expect it for their children or themselves and nothing more.

Unfortunately, one of the worst things Disney could have allowed was for a little but of pixie dust to be handed out. Free ice cream here or an upgrade there and all of the sudden everyone expected it. You see posts on these boards all of time asking how to get them. 10 years ago, when everything wasn't reported online immediately when it happens, it was a good surprise and nothing more. Now, it causes 50 new people to expect it for their children or themselves and nothing more.

I think this is 60 percent of the dissatisfaction with Disney -- people hear about stuff, want stuff and get upset when they think they re missing out. Things like the towel animals used to be cute little occasional benefits and then became expectations, and then became unsatisfactory results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter