Short Fort Review-photos included

Ive been main-lining this TR for the past week....its SO WELL DONE!!

Here's a very VERY important TIP for YOU...NOT YOUR HUSBAND.......

That "look" he gave you when you suggested going back next year....he felt that was his JOB to give that look, in most families..the guy feels like its Up to HIM to act like Disney is an irresponsible expense, and as a responsible adult...he's SUPPOSED to block any un-necessary fun......BUT INSIDE he wishing like a child that you oppose him on this...he wants to go as bad as you do...but is afraid that thats not cool of him.

I, like many of the men on this board, have stepped out of the Disney CLOSET. Im have come to grips with my lust for Disney and am now OPENLY Disneyfied..and am much happier for it. Use your beautiful daughter to lure him out of his closet...use the MANLINESS and ECONOMICAL aspect of CAMPING at the fort to tempt him to step into the Disney light!! He's ready to come out of his closet....he just needs some female trickery to turn the knob.
See you at the Fort in October!!!!!

The best remedy for Post-Fort blues is to do a trip report (check), the second best is to make a reservation! I would recommend you pick a date you would like for your next trip and make a reservation way in advance... like 499 days (the max). Pick a time when something specific is going on that makes it different than just a generic trip to WDW: like Christmas with the special party and decorations (especially at the Fort), or halloween. Tell Hubby that the Fort books up quick and that you just want the ressie IN CASE you can use it, and it's only 1 night's deposit. If you can't use it, you can cancel within 5 days of the arrival date for a full refund. There is no risk, and you'll have the bug planted! Then start setting aside a little cash. I never use change and take the change I do get and put it in a jar. Every time I break a $20 I try to stash a few ones or a five in a different part of my wallet. Then you should start trying to involve him in some of your excitement about something you want to do next trip (whenever it may be), like sharing other folk's reviews of the Hoop Dee Doo. When he breaks down and says "sure, we'll have to do that next time" tell him it fills up months in advance and you'd better buy your tickets soon. Inch by inch you move from totally non-committed to having a vacation that is largely paid for, fully planned, and emotionally invested in. Good luck in your mission Agent Blake!

BTW - July 20 is 499 days from Dec 1, 2010... a super time to arrive at Fort Wilderness -- Pre-holiday rates, decorations are up, Candlelight Processional is running, and so is Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party!

:goodvibes Love, love, love the advice! Vacations are high on our priority list so we put money aside each month to be able to take one big and one small vacation a year. We have to plan our trips about a year in advance because it's so hard for both of us to get off work. Unfortunately, from Thanksgiving to New Years, my DH absolutely can't get off work. What I'm trying to decide now is if I should put on the pressure to book 2010 or just let it go till 2011.

I just spoke to my DH on the phone. I asked, "What did he have in mind for 2010 vacations?” He said, "Maybe a road trip." A road trip! A ROAD TRIP! What's wrong with that man! :rotfl:

So, what's my best course of action?

a) begging
b) hypnotism
c) threats

Of if all else fails, I could just book it and kidnap him with my DD's Buzz Lightyear gun when the time comes.

This was a fantastic trip report! Thank you for taking the time to share. Even though we have been to WDW several times, I have learned so many tips from your experiences that I wouldn't know had you not shared.

That "look" he gave you when you suggested going back next year....he felt that was his JOB to give that look, in most families..the guy feels like its Up to HIM to act like Disney is an irresponsible expense, and as a responsible adult...he's SUPPOSED to block any un-necessary fun......BUT INSIDE he wishing like a child that you oppose him on this...he wants to go as bad as you do...but is afraid that thats not cool of him.

I, like many of the men on this board, have stepped out of the Disney CLOSET. Im have come to grips with my lust for Disney and am now OPENLY Disneyfied..and am much happier for it. Use your beautiful daughter to lure him out of his closet...use the MANLINESS and ECONOMICAL aspect of CAMPING at the fort to tempt him to step into the Disney light!! He's ready to come out of his closet....he just needs some female trickery to turn the knob.
See you at the Fort in October!!!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think your on to something.

I might just sick my DD on him. Every morning when I wake her up she asks if we are going to WDW today. The other day I told her that it was too expensive to go to WDW all the time. She offered me her piggy bank. :lovestruc Daddies can't say no to their little girls can they?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think your on to something.

I might just sick my DD on him. Every morning when I wake her up she asks if we are going to WDW today. The other day I told her that it was too expensive to go to WDW all the time. She offered me her piggy bank. :lovestruc Daddies can't say no to their little girls can they?

Thanks again for sharing this great trip report.

And . . . don't wait until DD is a teenager to return. Looking at your photos, I see your daughter had the time of her life!

As the father of three little girls, the youngest of whom are about to turn 14 in a few months :(, I can attest that time flies by too quickly. I am glad that we have been able to visit WDW and, Fort Wilderness in particular, as often as we have, and I know that my girls will have those memories forever. Maybe that will get me into a decent nursing home.

So, get going on planning that next trip!

TCD

Since Christmas is out I would start angling toward either Halloween or the spring Flower & Garden show at Epcot. The key is to find an event that you can get excited about, and the event creates a time window that you have to hit... WDW is always there, we can do that anytime, but Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is just a few weeks a year! Missing the window means a full year of disappointment -- no husband wants to risk that!

Thanks again for sharing this great trip report.

And . . . don't wait until DD is a teenager to return. Looking at your photos, I see your daughter had the time of her life!

As the father of three little girls, the youngest of whom are about to turn 14 in a few months :(, I can attest that time flies by too quickly. I am glad that we have been able to visit WDW and, Fort Wilderness in particular, as often as we have, and I know that my girls will have those memories forever. Maybe that will get me into a decent nursing home.

So, get going on planning that next trip!

TCD

Thank you. I've enjoyed all of your trip reports.

I agree that time flies by. I'm on it!

Since Christmas is out I would start angling toward either Halloween or the spring Flower & Garden show at Epcot. The key is to find an event that you can get excited about, and the event creates a time window that you have to hit... WDW is always there, we can do that anytime, but Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is just a few weeks a year! Missing the window means a full year of disappointment -- no husband wants to risk that!

Halloween would be great! I need to work around the school schedule obstacle. I've spoken to DD's teacher next year (small private school so only one teacher) and she doesn't think that DD should miss school for a vacation. Although I disagree and don't think a couple of missed days of Kindergarten will affect her SAT scores, I respect her teachers too much to take her out anyway. So, I'm looking at President's Day weekend (Wed - Mon) since school is out, or June, or Thanksgiving week 2010. All will be super busy compared to our last trip. I believe President's Day will be the least busy option and great weather but only 4 full days! June will be hot and crowded but we can stay about 10 days. Thanksgiving week will be the most crowded but good weather and Christmas events. Thanksgiving will be the hardest for DH to get off work. The weeks after Thanksgiving are the ones that are impossible.

Ooh Rog, your insight is valuable indeed! :thumbsup2

I just spoke to my DH on the phone. I asked, "What did he have in mind for 2010 vacations?” He said, "Maybe a road trip." A road trip! A ROAD TRIP! What's wrong with that man!

Hey, don't all roads lead to FW?! :dance3:

Every morning when I wake her up she asks if we are going to WDW today. The other day I told her that it was too expensive to go to WDW all the time. She offered me her piggy bank.

Oh geez, YOU don't have to do a thing! You're going for sure - start planning! :cool1:

I've spoken to DD's teacher next year (small private school so only one teacher) and she doesn't think that DD should miss school for a vacation. Although I disagree and don't think a couple of missed days of Kindergarten will affect her SAT scores, I respect her teachers too much to take her out anyway.

Oy, these teachers. Let me preface my remarks by saying that Mrs. TCD is a teacher. Trust your instincts. A few days of missed kindergarten, or 1st grade, or 2nd grade, or any grade will not harm your child! At all! Looking over your trip report, and being a WDW veteran, I have to tell you that your trip was perfectly timed during a very slow part of the year. Visiting during a busy time is fun, but it is not anywhere near as much fun as visiting when things are not packed. Your little girl is only going to be little for a short time. If I could do things over again, I would have taken my kids out of school even more than the few days that we let them miss on occasion. Enjoy it while you can.

TCD

Oy, these teachers. Let me preface my remarks by saying that Mrs. TCD is a teacher. Trust your instincts. A few days of missed kindergarten, or 1st grade, or 2nd grade, or any grade will not harm your child! At all! Looking over your trip report, and being a WDW veteran, I have to tell you that your trip was perfectly timed during a very slow part of the year. Visiting during a busy time is fun, but it is not anywhere near as much fun as visiting when things are not packed. Your little girl is only going to be little for a short time. If I could do things over again, I would have taken my kids out of school even more than the few days that we let them miss on occasion. Enjoy it while you can.

TCD

I agree with you about a few missed days. Is President's Day weekend and the week before THAT much busier? How bad are we talking about? The tour guide web site that we used said it was only a little bit busier.

How is May?

I agree with you about a few missed days. Is President's Day weekend and the week before THAT much busier? How bad are we talking about? The tour guide web site that we used said it was only a little bit busier.

How is May?

I have visited on President's Day weekend for the past three years. It is very busy, and the Fort charges their arm and a leg rates. (this year, my site is $43 for Thursday night, and then $73 for Fri-Sun nights- a $30 per night surcharge for the same exact site!).

On this weekend, I fully expect that there will be long waits on some of the major attractions (like an hour or more). I will post a trip report when I get back to confirm how things go.

Late April/early May is good. After Mother's Day, it starts to get busy again.

TCD

Thank you very much for your help. I look forward to your trip report.

Lots of things to consider.

I need to work around the school schedule obstacle. I've spoken to DD's teacher next year (small private school so only one teacher) and she doesn't think that DD should miss school for a vacation. Although I disagree and don't think a couple of missed days of Kindergarten will affect her SAT scores, I respect her teachers too much to take her out anyway.

Now wait a minute. Isn't a trip to Canada, England, France, Japan, Italy, Mexico, Sweden and other countries educational???? Isn't checking out the architectural aspects of a castle something to share. Isn't the study of animals (mice, tiggers, pooh bears, donalds) and their habits truly life changing?
I thinking some serious kindergarten show and tell time here.:banana: :banana: Maybe some mouse ears for the teacher...:thumbsup2

Our DD is 24 now and we took her to WDW all the time when she was in school. We never had a problem with the teachers, we would tell the teacher a couple weeks in advance and they would always get the work together for her and she would have it all done when we returned. A note on little girls: they may act like they don't know you when your at the mall or anywhere their friends can see you but take them to WDW and they are like little girls holding your hand and putting their arms around you. It was nice while it lasted.:cloud9: :cutie:

Now wait a minute. Isn't a trip to Canada, England, France, Japan, Italy, Mexico, Sweden and other countries educational???? Isn't checking out the architectural aspects of a castle something to share. Isn't the study of animals (mice, tiggers, pooh bears, donalds) and their habits truly life changing?
I thinking some serious kindergarten show and tell time here.:banana: :banana: Maybe some mouse ears for the teacher...:thumbsup2

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Our DD is 24 now and we took her to WDW all the time when she was in school. We never had a problem with the teachers, we would tell the teacher a couple weeks in advance and they would always get the work together for her and she would have it all done when we returned. A note on little girls: they may act like they don't know you when your at the mall or anywhere their friends can see you but take them to WDW and they are like little girls holding your hand and putting their arms around you. It was nice while it lasted.:cloud9: :cutie:

I agree and so does the school's principal. :rolleyes1 That's why I'm thinking about May. It will be at the end of the year. My mom has been a Kindergarten teacher for 30 years and she says a kid won't miss much in the final weeks of school.

Great Trip report! I just wanted to let you know that Presidents day usally falls around Daytona 500 or bike week so it busy down ther plus a 3 day week end. I also wanted to mention that we would take our son out of school (we did not want to spend vacation in Disney when it was busy) and the teacher would all get his assignments for the week and he would turn them in when he got back. He was a honor roll student and very rarely missed school.
Loved you Report!

TCD

very well said. people that have little ones will soon see you can't get those days back and the school days , while important, are not really missed in the whole scheme of things. we took my son out up until 9th grade (when attendance starts to count) and he still got in the air force academy! if you're going to do it, the lower grade school years are the best. Family time is important too! Don't let the teachers make your vacation schedules!

My thoughts exactly..! We've been lucky the past few years in that my DW (school principal) and our girls (3rd and 5th grades) have had spring break at the same time (different school districts).

Found these "excuse letters" here: http://www.themouseforless.com/downloads/kids/SE.shtml

;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter