• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I buy a season pass???

StEpHandMiKe<3Disney

DIS Veteran
Hello all, myself, husband, and 10 year old daughter will be visiting Universal Orlando December 2 through December 4. We are interested in staying at the hard rock hotel, we are only doing tonight, but I was pricing out a vacation and noticed that if I purchased one season pass that I could possibly qualify for a room discount at hard rock and also a possible 15% off discount on my husband and daughter’s two day tickets. I haven’t been able to confirm what the room discount would be at hard rock, I’m looking for some guidance on whether it would be beneficial to buy the season pass to get the discount for the room. it looks like the discount can be between 25 to 30% depending on the time of year, if that were the case, I believe buying the past would be the way to go. I’m very knowledgeable about Disney, but universal is somewhat Greek to me. Any help is appreciated.

Where can I find out when they are released?
You just have to keep checking. There used to be a thread on this, but for some reason I think they closed it. I have AP rate for late September, I’m not sure if October is out yet. I’m guessing July for December. Maybe someone else will comment. I look at hotels under the AP tab. If they are available you will see them.

You just have to keep checking. There used to be a thread on this, but for some reason I think they closed it. I have AP rate for late September, I’m not sure if October is out yet. I’m guessing July for December. Maybe someone else will comment. I look at hotels under the AP tab. If they are available you will see them.
Where is the AP tab?

I’m not at my laptop, but there’s an option on the right of the Universal Orlando home page that when clicked has a list of options. Scroll down to where you see annual pass. Click that, then another list appears, click hotels and then input your dates and then click on the different hotels. AP rates will be labeled. I think there are AP rates, savvy traveler rates and seasonal rates. Other people on here have a direct link. I’m old fashioned :-)

I’m not at my laptop, but there’s an option on the right of the Universal Orlando home page that when clicked has a list of options. Scroll down to where you see annual pass. Click that, then another list appears, click hotels and then input your dates and then click on the different hotels. AP rates will be labeled. I think there are AP rates, savvy traveler rates and seasonal rates. Other people on here have a direct link. I’m old fashioned :-)
Thank you!

Where is the AP tab?
This is the link to check for AP rates - https://res.windsurfercrs.com/ibe/d...hildren=0&promo=aph&iata=&group=&hotels=&ada=

HOWEVER, a seasonal pass will probably be blocked out of Universal Studios on Dec 2 and 3 because of holiday concerts, you would only be able to go to the islands of Adventure parks those days. If there are concerts, you would need a power pass for US. Also, the discounts on the other tickets are based on the gate price, so not much better than buying the other tickets online in advance. Really the major benefit could be a room discount, but sometimes the AP rates are not Available. There will be an Orlando Informer event Friday and Saturday nights that weekend, so rooms may be hard to get.

I’d recommend booking a refundable room (ie not a package) now at a price you’re willing to pay, because the cost is only likely to go up between now and December. Then you can keep an eye out for an annual pass rate to become available and run the maths as to whether it’s worth booking the discounted room and buying the pass. The point about likely wanting more than the lowest level of pass made above is a good one.

I don’t think October AP rates are released yet. I have a late September AP rate at RPH and was checking yesterday for late October and no AP rates were available at any hotels. Hope this helps!

Here is my process:

1. Book now if your dates are set, using the link georgina posted. It is very easy to cancel online later, as long as you are 5 days out from your trip.

2. Save the link in your browser for each checking every morning

3. If an APH rate opens up for any deluxe resort, book it immediately. Don't wait to discuss with your spouse, as it might be gone before you get back (I've had that happen to me). As noted in #1, it is very easy to cancel online, so the only downside is the room deposit on the second room while you wait for the refund of the first.

This is the link to check for AP rates - https://res.windsurfercrs.com/ibe/d...hildren=0&promo=aph&iata=&group=&hotels=&ada=

HOWEVER, a seasonal pass will probably be blocked out of Universal Studios on Dec 2 and 3 because of holiday concerts, you would only be able to go to the islands of Adventure parks those days. If there are concerts, you would need a power pass for US. Also, the discounts on the other tickets are based on the gate price, so not much better than buying the other tickets online in advance. Really the major benefit could be a room discount, but sometimes the AP rates are not Available. There will be an Orlando Informer event Friday and Saturday nights that weekend, so rooms may be hard to get.
Can I book using this link if I have not yet purchased an annual pass? I did look at the black out dates for the least expensive pass and the beginning of December is not listed as being black out dates. Do they change those dates ever?

Here is my process:

1. Book now if your dates are set, using the link georgina posted. It is very easy to cancel online later, as long as you are 5 days out from your trip.

3. If an APH rate opens up for any deluxe resort, book it immediately. Don't wait to discuss with your spouse, as it might be gone before you get back (I've had that happen to me). As noted in #1, it is very easy to cancel online, so the only downside is the room deposit on the second room while you wait for the refund of the first.
Here is my process:

Can I book a room only and then change it and add tickets in the future if I decide not to buy an annual pass?

Can I book using this link if I have not yet purchased an annual pass? I did look at the black out dates for the least expensive pass and the beginning of December is not listed as being black out dates. Do they change those dates ever?
Yes, you just need an AP by the time you check out. Usually blackout dates are only added for concert dates, which will block you out of the Studios side only on concert dates (usually Marco Gras Saturdays and weekends in Dec).
Can I book a room only and then change it and add tickets in the future if I decide not to buy an annual pass?
Yes, booking the room only and the tickets or AP separately is usually the easier route at Universal. The rooms are fully refundable, and you can buy your tickets through Undercover Tourist or other trustworthy third party to save a little.

Agree with CAPSLOCK above. I have a room reservation booked for November. It's a decent rate for now. I am checking periodically for AP rates. However, if an AP rate comes out and I go for that, I will be giving up the current rate I have. So if I decided to not buy the AP later and switch back, the regular rate would probably have gone up. I guess what I am saying is book a room only now, but if you change it to an AP rate later you should be fairly sure you will buy the AP.

Very few people here would recommend a package with tickets, room only and tickets from an authorized seller is what most do. After ordering from UT several times, they wanted me to upload a picture of my drivers license to another site to verify my ID, so I now buy elsewhere.

USO recently increased the price for their AP .
I guess the AP resort price would have to be discounted a lot to motivate me to buying the AP .

I guess the AP resort price would have to be discounted a lot to motivate me to buying the AP .
It depends on future travel plans. If making more than one trip in a year the AP would be worth it. I'm letting my preferred AP expire in May. I've had the preferred for years, and used the free parking when staying offsite, but I am slowing down in how many trips a year I take. I may upgrade my ticket to a seasonal AP in November, as I may go back in Sept '24, but undecided for now.

With the skyrocketing deluxe resort prices, a 25-35% discount can knock a couple hundred dollars off each night. Ultimately, the math for your specific plans will tell you what to do.

Agree with CAPSLOCK above. I have a room reservation booked for November. It's a decent rate for now. I am checking periodically for AP rates. However, if an AP rate comes out and I go for that, I will be giving up the current rate I have. So if I decided to not buy the AP later and switch back, the regular rate would probably have gone up. I guess what I am saying is book a room only now, but if you change it to an AP rate later you should be fairly sure you will buy the AP.
If there think is some reason you wouldn't buy the AP, I would not cancel the original booking right away. You have until 5 days before travel to cancel the one you don't want...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter