Should we skip Epcot?

mickey765

Mouseketeer
Debating whether to do Epcot for our winter trip. We have been before in 2016 and my family has no real desire to go back. The only big draw is I am a major Ratatouille fan, and we've also never ridden FEA and Soarin. As much as I love Ratatouille, part of me thinks that the park day would be better used as a second day at DHS (but maybe not if more shows don't open back up and meet and greets.... not sure). And also a day at Epcot would be pointless if we didn't snag a virtual queue and I don't think my family is down to paying to ride... thoughts?

I love Epcot, but I know it is not for everyone. For people that are more ride focused than what Epcot offers, I suggest doing it with the park hopper option or when you have other plans for either the beginning or end of the day.

Since one aspect you are wanting is Ratatouille, if you do decided to at least make a park reservations in hopes of grabbing a virtual queue spot, I think you can switch park reservations as long as there are openings and you have not used at that park. So, if you do not get the virtual queue, you could switch parks as long as you do not enter Epcot. For the next 6 months all parks show available reservations except for 10/1 and 10/2 so switching should not be a problem unless you are looking at 10/1 and 10/2.

Debating whether to do Epcot for our winter trip. We have been before in 2016 and my family has no real desire to go back. The only big draw is I am a major Ratatouille fan, and we've also never ridden FEA and Soarin. As much as I love Ratatouille, part of me thinks that the park day would be better used as a second day at DHS (but maybe not if more shows don't open back up and meet and greets.... not sure). And also a day at Epcot would be pointless if we didn't snag a virtual queue and I don't think my family is down to paying to ride... thoughts?
It seems to me you answered your question already..."my family has no real desire to go back"...personally, we love EPCOT because it's usually more relaxing, has a few good rides (like Soarin' and TT), lots of great eats, and some spectacular adult beverages.

I can’t imagine skipping Epcot. It’s my favorite park, even though it’s all torn up at the moment. There’s so much to see, the best food of any of the parks and some great rides. If you have hoppers I’d do at least a half day there. It’s good for a relaxed day, we use our Epcot days as our sleep in days. But if your family would hate going then obviously don’t go

I was pretty disappointed in the state of Epcot when we went in late Jan/Early Feb '21. From what I understand some of the live entertainment is back so perhaps it's a better experience. But if I'm going to wander around trying (good) food and drinks, I can do that at Disney Springs, and with a whole lot less construction (and no entrance fee).

The rides are blah to me outside of Soarin'

World Showcase is still great, if you want to just enjoy the food and atmosphere. Future World is pretty disastrous.

We did a half-day on our last trip, but if I had it to do over again I might skip it in favor of another day at MK or AK - or even a resort day.

Outside of MK it is our favorite park. Even the kids love it. We always do at least as many days there as we do MK. Great rides, great atmosphere and food. It's our favorite place to actually relax as well when we just need some good strolling around the parks time.

I know Epcot isn't the draw of MK but even with all the construction going on right now, I still love it. I don't think it has mass appeal and the condition it's in right now, makes it easy for many to hate it. If you will be in the parks for more than 5/6 days, I'd say yes, check out Epcot since the cost to add tix is nominal after 4/5 days but if you have only 2/3 park days, then perhaps skip it.

But truthfully wether or not you do Epcot, such a personal call. Either way, you'll be at WDW and will have a blast whatever you decide.

Does it feel like there is still a fair amount to do/look at in the World Showcase? It looks like a lot of shops may still be closed.

I’m guessing you don’t do Park Hoppers? That is my preferred way to do EPCOT - just for Soarin’ and festival food booths. Then I head to Park #3 for the day.

Remy line will be long this winter. Or an option for a paid add-on with the new Genie+ ? You may want to wait a year or more (or a few hours in the line).

I'm there often, 5-7 day trips 4-6 times a year. I would say 50% of the time I skip it and only go because DS wants to ride a few things. Went in July cause others in group wanted to hit the festival. To me it's pretty in WS, a disaster in the front, minimal offerings attraction wise, overpriced meh food ..... and lots of walking. I know that is negative and I'm hoping I feel different when all the construction is done but now that I have to dedicate a reservation!!!! Yeah, I'm going in November and not planning to reserve it at all, hoping one day we can hop and maybe hit some rides but will be fine if we don't.

From my perspective it's the worst park for us, yet the biggest with no issues hopping to it ... so I'm not wasting a reservation on it.

If you did not like it I would pass as allot of construction. But food and wine is good so if you like eating it may be worth it.

My conflict over this is probably the number one point in favor of purchasing park hoppers for the first time for our trip this November. I'm hoping Genie+ will be up and running and we can just hop over on a day we have that to knock out the rides, then maybe pop in another day to eat and wander World Showcase. Then we can book two days at HS instead, for more chances at a ROTR boarding group. (We're big SW fans and not that into Ratatouille.)

If you have a long trip planned and it would only cost a little more to add an Epcot day, go for it. Or if you were going to get park hoppers anyways, doing Epcot after DHS is a good plan since it’s usually open later so you can take the Skyliner over (avoiding the mess that is Future World right now) and do dinner and a few rides. Epcot is my favorite park but it feels the least complete right now. World Showcase just isn’t as fun without the international cast members. While the cast members there right now are doing a good job, part of the fun for us was going into a shop or restaurant and being able to interact with someone from the country being represented.

Ratatouille is a D ticket ride. I wouldn’t go out of the way for it unless you are a huge fan of the movie. I rode it multiple times in Paris where it was a walk-on.

I hopped to Epcot from Hollywood studios in May and have not been back. The world showcase is fine (at the time a lot was closed) but future world is a mess, and getting from place In future world feels similar to being a rat in a maze with all the construction walls. I would skip it until it’s in better shape. Or hop to it to do a few things and leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter