Silly question about smoking rooms...

ChiTownZee

"You have no idea what I'm capable of."-Evil Queen
But do they smell smokey? DH wouldn't smoke in the room but probably on the balcony so I figure we'd need to get a smoking room since I've read posts with people really upset over someone smoking on a balcony of a non-smoking room. I'd hate to have the room smell bad though, especially with DD there. Do they do anything to help remove smoke smells from the room in between guests? This would probably be at the Grand Floridian if that makes any difference.

I, personally, don't care what anyone does IN their room - smoking or non-smoking. I have say though (and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this) I would have a REAL problem with sitting on my balcony and having someone else's smoke wafting over to me. I mean, do what you want in your own space, but if I'm sitting on my balcony eating or relaxing, I'd be pretty miffed to have smoke blowing over at me. I know it's your balcony, but when it comes over to my balcony, it becomes my issue, as well. They should put walls up instead of those partitions so people can do what they want on their balcony without bothering other people. I suppose if nobody is on the balcony next to you it's fair game!

I was in a smoking room once at the WL for about 10 minutes. My husband couldn't tolerate the smell. I hate the smell of smoke and thought it wasn't too bad. We moved to a non-smoking room and were happy.

I usually request a non-smoking room and have more then once been out on the balcony and catch a wiff of smoke from someone. I have found it offensive since I the whole long house was non-smoking. So I usually have to go inside.

Depending upon where you are staying you may not have a balcony to contend with. I would go with the smoking room because it would make a non-smoker like me happy to know that I wouldn't have to smell the smoke from my non-smoking room.

And remember when touring the parks there are designated smoking areas. I am so thankful for that since like I have said I am a non-smoker and do not like to smell smoke while walking and enjoying my vacation. I have reported a few smokers to the CM's walking around.

~Kerri-35 days and I will be in my non-smoking room at the Polynesian (my hubby is an ashmatic too so we need a non-smoking room regardless)

I stayed with 3 friends in 2 connecting rooms at Coronado last year. We requested non-smoking on the original request, but when we sent the fax we forgot to mention non-smoking. We got there at 8:30am and were thrilled our rooms were ready! We got to them, they were smoking! We decided to keep them since they were ready and connecting like we wanted, plus we were anxious to get to the parks to meet other friends in our group. We called housekeeping to bring an ionizer, which we ran constantly for 4 days. The smell never left. When I got home I noticed everything in my suitcase reeked of smoke. :( We all agreed it was a mistake not to go back and ask for different rooms.

I too find it offensive when someone smokes on the balcony of a non-smoking room. We were at OKW in May, building 31 which is entirely non-smoking. Someone upstairs was smoking one day on the porch above us. :mad: Last year we had a smoker who smoked on the porch outside the front door, which I didn't mind since the smoke did not enter the room or the porch where we sit out.

At least at GF you could leave the balcony door open when you are there to air the room out.

I had a Smoking room by mistake too, in Feb. I had requested Non-smoking, but liked the location. I asked for the filter in the A/C to be changed, which it was, so it wasn't too bad. I sat with the door open for about a half hour each day, and it was OK.;)

This is just a thought...you could get a smoking room, but bring along some Febreeze and spray everything down when you get there.

I also cannot tolerate smoke at all. I always request a non-smoking room, but one time they put us in a smoking room. I just opened the door and knew immediately I could not stay there. As for your question about will they do something to the room to get rid of the smoke. Well, yes they claim it works, but when they did it one time for us it didn't work at all. I think it is very nice of you to think of others. Good luck with your room.

ENJOY YOUR VACATION!!!

I've found a few things that seem to help aleviate that smokey smell. These are easiest if you have a car to get to a drug or grocery store. Obviously, the easiest way to rid yourself of the smell is to ask to be moved to a non-smoking room! BUT, if you're happy where you are and want to get moved:

1.) Give everything a once over with extra strength Febreeze. Linens (bedspreads, fitted and flat sheets, pillow cases and pillows), the fabric on the chairs, and the entire carpet should be sprayed.

2.) Light a fragrance-free candle. Fragranced ones tend to just meld with the smokey smell and leave a nastier odor than you started with. (Just be sure you're actually in the room when you're burning the candle...)

3.) Leave out a small dish or two of vinegar. Put it out in the morning when you leave, and by the time you come back at night, MOST if not all of the smell should be gone.

The air purifiers and AC filter changes also help. And, if none of the works, there's a Tobacco odor neutralizer air freshner available. Apparently there's a few different brands, but the one that I'm thinking of (I believe) is Renuzit. It doesn't remove the odor completely, but it does a little bit more than masking it.

First of all, thanks for being concerned about your neighbors on the balcony, many people are not that considerate. DD has asthma and is severly allergic to cigarette smoke, so if someone smokes on a balcony near us it can be quite a problem. I am not sure about all resorts, but we stayed at AKL in June. As I was walking the halls checking out other parts of the resort, I could definately tell when I entered the smoking section, the smell was terrible. I would imagine if the halls were bad, the rooms would be as well. Anyway, enjoy your stay whatever you decide!

ChiTownZee,

We have stayed at the GF and in the Boca Chica Building which is
a Smoking Optional Building. I think the first 2 floors are NON Smoking, but 3-5 are Optional. We have NEVER had a problem with the room smelling like smoke. We are always in the same room and it's on the 4th floor. There was one (1) time my husband could smell a trace of it (I couldn't), so I lit my Candle. Never leave a candle burning, just do it when you are there to supervise. The mousekeeper even left matches next to our candle one day, so I left a thank you note with the tip.
I always bring a Odor Eliminator Candle just in case, or even a Renuzit Odor Eliminator. They work, after about 20 minutes of the candle burning my husband was fine. The rest of the stay we never had to use it again. As for the balcony thing, I have to agree with others about smoking on the balcony. I have noticed though that there are never a bunch of people on the balcony at one time, other than during the water parade or fireworks. So if your husband just takes a quick peek around he could. I personally am considerate of my (neighbors) on vacation and appreciate when others return the favor. My kids don't YELL, bang or cause trouble, and we keep the noise down if it is early or late. Smoking is another thing to be considerate of your fellow disers. They also offer a DeSmoking of your room if you want the smoky smell gone. I have heard this works great, but sometimes takes 2 or 3 treatments. Housekeeping will do this prior to you arriving upon request and during at your request. So, that's just a thought too. If I can answer any other question let me know.
Wendi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter