So, how many of you have used your Disney Time Share Points for ABD?

Bete

DIS Veteran
I'm just curious if there are more people using their points to enjoy a ABD vacation or do most people pay OOP completely.

Can you use part points and pay the difference in cash or is all or nothing? Can you book one person with the points and pay cash for the rest, etc? How does all of this work, please?

Did you find it easy or hard to use your points this way?

We paid for part of our trip with DVC points. As far as I understand you have the pay a full persons fare with points...that is to say you cant pay part cash and part points on the same person. We however did pay for one person with points and another with cash.

We did the same thing for our upcoming Viva Italia tour in September. Used DVC points for one tour, and cash for the second. The drawback to doing this, you need to pay the cash portion in full. I believe if you're paying cash for all the participants, you can do a payment plan.

We're also planning to use DVC points for our Disneyland Paris hotel which we're going to add on after the Italy tour.

We also used our DVC points for both of us. We could do that with the early booking but wouldn't have had enough for regular booking. I considered having some points transferred from someone which is an option. The points seem to increase quite a bit from year to year at least way more than any other points choice.

We used points for half and cash for half (two people each). You do have to pay the cash balance in full at the time you use the points, but they transferred the cash deposit for the point people over to the cash people which eased the cash burden more. It worked extremely smoothly.

I booked our upcoming trip last August and got the early booking discount. I didn't want to book using points at that time, because of all the restrictions. However, I just called DVC and transferred the res to them. I was able to keep the early booking prices (even though we're traveling in June) and when I asked about keeping the $100 per person repeat guest discount, they gave me 40 points off per person (total of 80 point discount ) - even though I paid for one person with cash, and the other with points!

Log on to dvcmember.com and you can get a chart there from Adventures by Disney that shows points needed for each trip. You can also call the Disney vacation club. If you have a particular trip it's good to call Adventures by Disney to see what dates are early booking. The DVC doesn't have that information. Also some trips may say they don't have early booking but if you call Adventures by Disney they can tell you if they do. I just booked a trip using vacation points and did an early booking date. I didn't have enough points to do regular booking so I was very happy to get an early booking date. I also considered having someone transfer points to me but was glad that I didn't have to do that. I hope this helps. Good luck.

We've been a charter DVC member since its inception. We attended a sales presentation where they had special incentives to buy additional points. Originally we just came for the free food, but walked away with the premium offer, which included any two free ABD trips, two premium annual passes to Disneyland and an overnight stay at the Mickey Suite at the Disneyland Hotel. We'll be paying for our purchase of additional points "for the rest of our life" but we know we'll get our money's worth of vacation memories over the next 50 years.

This summer, we booked four ABD trips to China via DVC (2 free trips plus 2 paid for by borrowing and banking points). Since I like to travel, I figured what we spent by upping our DVC investment will pay for itself after 5-10 ABD trips for our family of four.

:) We have used 914 DVC points for us both to go on the Switzerland and Italy Alpine magic adventure.

To Siliobear, could I trouble you to give me a little bit more information on how you pulled this off. The incentives you received were great! I plan to join the DVC in about a week with the grand californina being my home base. I know you said you added points to your existing dvc membership but did you reach the 1000 pt mark. how did you get those perks?

We have been a long-time existing DVC member and was on their mailing list for a special meeting held at Disneyland Hotel (we live in LA, an hour away). The more points you added, the sweeter the deal. We added 500 pts to get all those perks. It was a special one-time offer (so they say). Once you're a member, they send different promos all the time.

We've been a charter DVC member since its inception. We attended a sales presentation where they had special incentives to buy additional points. Originally we just came for the free food, but walked away with the premium offer, which included any two free ABD trips, two premium annual passes to Disneyland and an overnight stay at the Mickey Suite at the Disneyland Hotel. We'll be paying for our purchase of additional points "for the rest of our life" but we know we'll get our money's worth of vacation memories over the next 50 years.

This summer, we booked four ABD trips to China via DVC (2 free trips plus 2 paid for by borrowing and banking points). Since I like to travel, I figured what we spent by upping our DVC investment will pay for itself after 5-10 ABD trips for our family of four.

Hot dog! How many points did you have to purchase to get that premium offer? I couldn't pass that up either? Did you purchase the VGC contract?

Hi,
I am curious about the term "Charter DVC members." We are DVC members, and I have never heard the term Charter Members. Can you please tell me what that is? Is there a way that I might become a charter member?
Thank you.

Hi,
I am curious about the term "Charter DVC members." We are DVC members, and I have never heard the term Charter Members. Can you please tell me what that is? Is there a way that I might become a charter member?
Thank you.

True DVC Charter Members are members that joined when DVC began back in 1991/1992. But if you purchase into a new resort in the first month of sells you are a charter member for that resort.

We used DVC points for Viva Itlia last fall. We got early booking in low season. I felt it was a pretty good deal.

Hot dog! How many points did you have to purchase to get that premium offer? I couldn't pass that up either? Did you purchase the VGC contract?

We added 500 pts to our existing contract. The two free ABD trips (including China) was the deal maker for us. What's VGC? (since I don't know what it is, I probably didn't purchase it) Not that it matters, but the new purchase was for Animal Kingdom Villas. We originally bought Old Key West.

True DVC Charter Members are members that joined when DVC began back in 1991/1992. But if you purchase into a new resort in the first month of sells you are a charter member for that resort.

We used DVC points for Viva Itlia last fall. We got early booking in low season. I felt it was a pretty good deal.

I guess that makes me a charter member too, since I joined DVC on Feb. 3 1992

I guess that makes me a charter member too, since I joined DVC on Feb. 3 1992

Probably. I'm not sure of the cut off date. Our firiends who bought in 1991 have membership cards that say Charter Members. Not really any benefit to it. I know that people who bought in the first few years received free park tickets until 2000. But nothing really extra special for the people who bought that first year. Just bragging rights I guess.

We added 500 pts to our existing contract. The two free ABD trips (including China) was the deal maker for us. What's VGC? (since I don't know what it is, I probably didn't purchase it) Not that it matters, but the new purchase was for Animal Kingdom Villas. We originally bought Old Key West.

Villas at Grand Californian

My husband and I added on at an event, called Grand Firsts, or someting like that. It was in March at the Paradise Pier Hotel. They were showing off the VGC, but you could purchase anything. The incentives were bigger the more points you bought. We also added 500 points, but we bought at the VGC. Our incentives were points off our purchase to put towards the down payment, 2 annual passes to Disney World, Two 7 night stays through RCI, 1 night stay in either the Mickey or Pirate Suite at the Disneyland hotel (we picked the Pirate Suite) and either an ABD trip for 2 people or a 7 night stay at the Grand Wailea in Maiu (we picked the Grand Wailea, instead of the ABD trip).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter