So lemme get this straight...

Let me guess...you are local, or local enough that you get to go regularly? It makes it a lot easier to brush off as "oh well"...
Let's try to be respectful and courteous toward each other in this thread. It is absolutely possible to disagree while maintaining a respectful attitude. If someone is trying to be positive and practical about his/her trip, what difference does it make if that person is "local, or local enough"? SBC is under wraps for all of us, SM will be down for all of us, WOC has been down for all of us -- no one is getting special Disney privileges in the parks because they live closer to DLR than anyone else. There is no way for anyone to know how hard anyone else in this thread is trying to stay focused on having a great DLR trip, not to be negative about what won't be available to them during their visit. Each poster is dealing with the disappointment in his/her own way, so let's give each other the grace to respect that and not judge or be dismissive by making assumptions about each other.

No, I am not local. I actually live in Canada...
Like I said above, no matter where we live, we're all dealing with the same closures and refurbs in our own way -- whether that's with humor, practical planning, team goals, etc. If we can encourage each other while we're at it, that's a good thing!

Last edited:
Let's try to be respectful and courteous toward each other in this thread. It is absolutely possible to disagree while maintaining a respectful attitude. If someone is trying to be positive and practical about his/her trip, what difference does it make if that person is "local, or local enough"? SBC is under wraps for all of us, SM will be down for all of us, WOC has been down for all of us -- no one is getting special Disney privileges in the parks because they live closer to DLR than anyone else. There is no way for anyone to know how hard anyone else in this thread is trying to stay focused on having a great DLR trip, not to be negative about what won't be available to them during their visit. Each poster is dealing with the disappointment in his/her own way, so let's give each other the grace to respect that and not judge or be dismissive by making assumptions about each other.

I think that can go both ways. I dont like the attitude that if only we had prepared better and done our research that we wouldnt be unhappy, and therefore have no right to be so.
No one is getting special privileges being local but it does make it things being down a lot easier when you are going multiple times a year.

I think that can go both ways. I dont like the attitude that if only we had prepared better and done our research that we wouldnt be unhappy, and therefore have no right to be so.
No one is getting special privileges being local but it does make it things being down a lot easier when you are going multiple times a year.

No one is saying you have no right to be unhappy. I think it's the expectation that Disney should be telling people a year in advance what is going to be happening at a park which has a local population of close to 20,000,000 people, is a bit unrealistic. Everyone is allowed to be unhappy but it's this expectation that as 1 customer to a behemoth of a company you are owed something that seems really odd to me. When there is more demand than there is supply then that whole customer experience changes.

And let me add - being local to DLR means a lot of things - it means you live in a very expensive and congested area, it means you have issues with water, fires and mudslides, and don't get me started on the earthquake threat situation. It's all a trade off no matter where you live.

But I get why people are upset - I guess what I don't understand is expecting Disney to change.

Edited to add: Now that I read this I do realize that these comments can come across as not being very sympathetic - I apologize for that - I have been disappointed many times about stuff being down as we often go when refurbishments happen and we come from a decent distance (three hour flight from Canada) but we always have a great time so I guess that is how my mind is framed for this topic. I am no longer surprised by it - in fact all our upcoming dates are already on the calendar for Disney but I still expect stuff could change even inside of a few weeks.

Last edited:
To me the big difference is that if you're local, you will likely get back to the parks as soon as the refurbishment is over and will be able to catch what you missed then. For anyone coming from far away, that might not be an option. So it's a greater loss to them. Sometimes you just have to let people vent instead of immediately chastising them for expressing disappointment in something closed. I'm sure they'll still have a great trip, but in the moment, they just want to express their frustration.

And it's about being able to know it. If Disneyland doesn't publish it in advance, yes, you can be disappointed. And if they did, then you can still be disappointed when the only time you can go your favourite ride or show is down for refurbishment.

Disneyland Paris and Disneyland Tokyo you can see the refurbishments at least 4-6 months ahead. Of course changes can be made. The reopening of Phantom Manor in DLP has been delayed so many times now, it's truly frustrating. Even with knowing and for a 'local'.

Just for a little perspective, this is what we saw on our last trip 4 years ago. As well as the rail road being down, Matterhorn down, walls everywhere in both parks, and whatever else was under refurb before the 60th. We will be back in 11 days and though we will miss F! and WOC and were really hoping to see PTN instead of Soundsational, we are super excited about this trip! We’ll get to do some things we've missed in the past and try some new things too!
That’s the best comparison. The last time the parks went through this much was prep for the 60th & SWGE opening is an even bigger park milestone. Glad you’re looking on the bright side!

And it's about being able to know it. If Disneyland doesn't publish it in advance, yes, you can be disappointed. And if they did, then you can still be disappointed when the only time you can go your favourite ride or show is down for refurbishment.

Disneyland Paris and Disneyland Tokyo you can see the refurbishments at least 4-6 months ahead. Of course changes can be made. The reopening of Phantom Manor in DLP has been delayed so many times now, it's truly frustrating. Even with knowing and for a 'local'.
A gentle note that you can’t accurately compare DLR to either of those parks. DLP has had a very tough time of it, only emerging in the last couple years as doing ok, they can’t afford to tick off any visitors. DLT is not owned or operated by Disney.

DLR doesn’t publish refurb schedules that far in advance because they don’t have to. Might they change? Sure, but only if they have to. Since attendance numbers won’t make them maybe customer feedback can? The only thing anyone upset about this (still going on their trip or not) can actually do is email guest services saying they wish the refurbishment schedules were put out farther in advance because XYZ or wherever it is you want to say to them. You can’t get your vacation fixed I know but the email might be a cathartic way of venting that might change something in the future if you ever return.

(You can email now, you don’t have to wait until after your trip.)

WOC being down should have forced Disney to keep Fantasmic! up or run PTN parade in DCA to disperse crowds. To only have ONE nighttime show for the entire resort will be such a nightmare for crowds, especially weekends. To me it just sounds like extremely poor management on Disney.
I understand your thinking about Fantasmic!, but take into account... They do not know WHEN WOC may come back. They NEED Fantasmic! up before SW:GE, to pull people OUT of SW:GE. The Columbia needs some repairs, show is dependent on the Columbia. You have 3000-10,000 people a day playing on the stage of Fantasmic, there are repairs needed to the stage area. It would be poor management if they kept it up, then were unable to complete the refurb prior to SW:GE. There is a bigger picture here. Late Jan/Feb/Mar is a MUCH slower time than Apr/May/Jun. Even if WOC is down, they needed to take Fantasmic! down to be prepared for Spring break/SW:GE. You have to look at the big picture.

I will be there in a couple weeks. Yes, there will be the normal winter refurbs, and I booked a trip anyway. We will have fun in spite of it. Look for positives! We have tea scheduled! We won't be at work. There is the new Mickey's Magical Mix showing. We will have fun.

Haha, I'm reading this thread and trying my hardest not to be bummed! I didn't know that there was going to be a ton of refurbishments potentially happening while we are there for the first time (and likely, our last trip). We aren't local either, (another Canadian), and Disney is a once in a lifetime thing for us. Am I entitled to be upset if things don't go my way? Yeah, I guess... but at the same time I won't allow our trip to be spoiled by my own disappointment. I'm sure there are plenty of other amazing things to see and do despite the closures. Honestly, I would rather deal with no fireworks, castle refurbishment and ride closures than the insane crowds that will ensue once GE opens.

Last edited:
Haha, I'm reading this thread and trying my hardest not to be bummed! I didn't know that there was going to be a ton of refurbishments potentially happening while we are there for the first time (and likely, our last trip). We aren't local either, (another Canadian), and Disney is a once in a lifetime thing for us. Am I entitled to be upset if things don't go my way? Yeah, I guess... but at the same time I won't allow our trip to be spoiled by my own disappointment. I'm sure there are plenty of other amazing things to see and do despite the closures. Honestly, I would rather deal with no fireworks, castle refurbishment and ride closures than the insane crowds that will ensue once GE opens.
I will tell you who I think has zero right to complain, not that it will stop them...

I have no idea if this applies to anyone in this thread, but there are folks who seem to have zero time to come here before their trip and get information about typical refurb seasons and choosing dates. But they have no problem finding time to come here after to complain.

I have taken my own time to help to write up very detailed threads to help anyone and everyone who cares to come hear and check beforehand. I provide dates!!!

This forum has gone one step further by recognizing some of my threads in a Sticky thread. Really, it could not be made any easier for someone who truly wants to know.

I have some sympathy for folks who do not come here to check before their trips. I have zero sympathy for someone who comes to complain after.

"Choosing When To Visit DLR: Summary of High and Low Season and When Each Happens" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=36509602

"What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889

The knowledge shared in my links above is extremely clear, with dates provided, of when to plan your DLR visit to avoid refurbs.

:wizard:

We were there this weekend and fireworks were done and so was fantasmic which i believe was the last few shows. I mean they put their schedule up and let us know what is being refurbished and we can either choose to go or wait for more shows and night time entertainment to come on. Im not much of a parade watcher unless its one i haven't seen and fireworks ill watch if i'm in the park at the time but its no big deal to me since i do go at least once a year. We do have a few favorite must do rides if they are down we move our dates.

I did mention to my husband how i wouldn't want it to be my first trip there and have the castle being refurbished. Is crazy how many people plan a trip and not look at the schedule for closures or hours or other important info.
Sometimes a trip is planned based on personal vacation schedules which are not flexible. We don't all have the luxury to plan a trip when everything is to perfection.

This will be our first trip, and probably our last trip. April is when we are going because of my school vacation schedule. When planning this trip, we thought about everything we would want to do while in California. Disneyland popped up as a place to go because we LOVE WDW so much. How awesome to see where it all began. Unfortunately, it looks like we will miss out on the castle, and that really stinks.

Last edited:
I will tell you who I think has zero right to complain, not that it will stop them...

I have no idea if this applies to anyone in this thread, but there are folks who seem to have zero time to come here before their trip and get information about typical refurb seasons and choosing dates. But they have no problem finding time to come here after to complain.

I have taken my own time to help to write up very detailed threads to help anyone and everyone who cares to come hear and check beforehand. I provide dates!!!

This forum has gone one step further by recognizing some of my threads in a Sticky thread. Really, it could not be made any easier for someone who truly wants to know.

I have some sympathy for folks who do not come here to check before their trips. I have zero sympathy for someone who comes to complain after.
You have done an incredible job to provide information.:thanks:

I promise not to complain afterward. princess:

LOL, anyone who researches about refurbs on this forum before locking in dates is free to complain as far as I am concerned but might want to mention they were forewarned. As I said in my PP, I was not calling out anyone in this thread. I have no idea about them and have no interest in researching your or anyone's posting history.

The obvious ones I have seen in the past, on multiple occasions, is someone who makes their first post ever (by published post count) to this forum to rant about DLR refurbs during off-season times. :sad2:

Last edited:

Ditto! There is a ton of great information here, I have yet to get through it all myself! I am just happy to be able to get away. I am walking into DL with zero expectations other than to enjoy my family and have fun with them.

And let me add - being local to DLR means a lot of things - it means you live in a very expensive and congested area, it means you have issues with water, fires and mudslides, and don't get me started on the earthquake threat situation. It's all a trade off no matter where you live.

People have those issues no matter where they live.

No one is saying you have no right to be unhappy. I think it's the expectation that Disney should be telling people a year in advance what is going to be happening at a park which has a local population of close to 20,000,000 people, is a bit unrealistic. Everyone is allowed to be unhappy but it's this expectation that as 1 customer to a behemoth of a company you are owed something that seems really odd to me. When there is more demand than there is supply then that whole customer experience changes.

I dont think its unrealistic. WDW manages to notify their customers way longer than DLR does.
They have a schedule, the just aren't sharing it, of course they will need a disclaimer that dates may change but it would be a big improvement for many of their customers.

And as far as companies not owing anyone anything, no business should be so arrogant.
I think waiting to sell discounted tickets until many customers would have theirs locked it, and without being upfront about why they were discounting them is dishonest, and could backfire on them.
Disney was once a shining example of customer service, the absolute best, not now though.

Anyone else having trouble seeing any refurbs now? I usually check the 5-day calendar, and NOTHING is showing - not even a heading for refurb now. The display looks just slightly different (like they changed style sheet or containers or something), and I think they broke it.

E406AEE9-D299-4C31-BFE4-E3157EC530E9.png FF5B1C4C-C8E8-449E-BD1F-A1645B809DB2.png
Anyone else having trouble seeing any refurbs now? I usually check the 5-day calendar, and NOTHING is showing - not even a heading for refurb now. The display looks just slightly different (like they changed style sheet or containers or something), and I think they broke it.

I go to the official Disney app and when you click on the calendar dates of a planned trip and scroll down past the hours it says closed for refurbishment.

I think that can go both ways. I dont like the attitude that if only we had prepared better and done our research that we wouldnt be unhappy, and therefore have no right to be so...

... Sometimes you just have to let people vent instead of immediately chastising them for expressing disappointment in something closed. I'm sure they'll still have a great trip, but in the moment, they just want to express their frustration.

As stated above, no one is saying that you cannot be disappointed or express that disappointment or frustration here. One reason these boards exist is to create a safe place for Disney fans to express themselves and share with each other! However, there is a big difference between expressing disappointment and frustration about something and venting disappointment and frustration at someone. The former is completely understandable, the latter is heading onto thin ice. When the frustration and emotion start getting the better of us, it is better not to let things get disrespectful and argumentative. We can all use a nice, deep breath now and then before hitting "reply."

I dont think its unrealistic. WDW manages to notify their customers way longer than DLR does.
They have a schedule, the just aren't sharing it, of course they will need a disclaimer that dates may change but it would be a big improvement for many of their customers.
DLR is not WDW. It does cater more to the locals who are their base customers. It has upsides and downsides for both local and out-of-town folks.

WDW caters mostly to folks on vacations. WDW has 20-25 hotels that fits like 65-70k people. They have FP+ at 60 days. They have ADRs at 180 days. I suspect they can and do use that to predict and schedule things in a way DLR never can.

And as far as companies not owing anyone anything, no business should be so arrogant.
I think waiting to sell discounted tickets until many customers would have theirs locked it, and without being upfront about why they were discounting them is dishonest, and could backfire on them.
Disney was once a shining example of customer service, the absolute best, not now though.
Ease up! @sherilaine did not say Disney "not owing anyone anything". She did say that something about 1 particular customer's expectations being unreasonable compared to 20 million customers who have a different expectation, or if not expectation at least a different set of priorities. In other words, they owe more to the 20 million who may think one way than to the 1 person who thinks differently. So they do owe people - their majority. They try and accommodate everyone as best they can (people with disabilities, languages, people with small children (all of those strollers!!!)).

I do not want to be an apologist for Disney. I do think they are making some mistakes recently at DLR and WDW that will hurt them and their brand in the long run. I have shared some of those on this forum in the past based on personal experience. But many times in the past Disney has found a way to overcome similar mistakes and fix them, and people they drove away came back. Because they love the brand. Most companies are not so lucky. There may come a time when Disney is not either and they should tread carefully.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter