So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

No food for you...

So I want to backtrack a little.

The time leading up to this trip was very busy. Danielle was a very involved member of her FRC Robotics team at school. Starting in January they had spent 6 weeks building a robot for competition and putting together their Chairman's Team presentation. Danielle was on the drive team, a member of the Chairman's team and the Dean's List nominee for the team. We finished building on Mardi Gras and then starting competing in March. Our first regional competition was in Little Rock Arkansas. Two weeks later we competed in our local regional in New Orleans. When you go to regionals the hope is that your robot will win or your Chairman's team so then you can qualify to go to Worlds in St. Louis. Well we didn't do too good in Little Rock but we did pretty darn good in New Orleans. Our robot didn't win but our Chairman's Team won and Danielle was one of 2 Dean's List winners to move onto World. So after spending 2 weekends in hotels in March here we were living in a hotel again and would be in another one in a few weeks in St. Louis. We pretty much stayed packed, just changed out clothes. Of all the hotels we stayed in this one was the best and we were really looking forward to enjoying the atmosphere.

The time stamps on my pictures shows us hitting the Riverside sign at 4:44 pm. We unpacked and freshened up and got ready to head out. Can anyone guess where we went first?

Some resort pictures as we made our way out.

IMG_5992.JPG

This was the front of our building facing the water. We stayed in Oak Manor. Of course we were all the way in the back, but it wasn't a bad walk. Once we got to the front we were right by a bridge to cross to the lobby area. I have to say I really missed going through the lobby and checking in. I missed getting all the paperwork. We ended up going back at one point and getting a map of the general area since we actually did some driving this trip.

We never got to see these in action last trip so this was neat.

IMG_5994.JPG

More pictures from this beautiful resort. These are looking back from around the boat dock area.

IMG_5996.JPG

Oh look here comes a boat!
IMG_5998.JPG

If you've guess we're waiting for a boat to Downtown Disney you're right. I know it's Disney Springs now but in 2015 it was still DTD. We've kind of made it a tradition to go to DTD on our arrival day.

Here's Danielle waiting.

IMG_5999.JPG

And me waiting. We were really hoping we would make it on this boat.

IMG_6000.JPG

Looking back from the boat. Yeah we made it on the boat.

IMG_6002.JPG

A boat selfie taken at 6:08
IMG_6003.JPG

If you have never taken the boat ride from Riverside or French Quarter to DTD you really should. It's a wonderful relaxing trip with so many pretty sights. I did have more pictures loaded but had to delete them when PhotoBucket starting restricting pictures.

Oh look here comes French Quarter.
IMG_6009.JPG

Danielle loved this slide when we stayed here in 2010

IMG_6011.JPG

Continued in next post.

Last edited:
No Food for You part 2

So we finally made it to DTD and unloaded. Boy have things changed since we last visited here in 2012. Our goal was to do a little looking and find something to eat. Dennis had wanted to get in at TREX but since we started planning late I never could find anything open until like 9 at night. So we started at to look around first.

IMG_6017.JPG

I really wanted to get some pictures of the Leggo statues since the pictures I took last time were at night and really bad.

IMG_6018.JPG IMG_6019.JPG IMG_6020.JPG IMG_6021.JPG

I don't remember if we ever really stopped for lunch but I do know we were all real hungry. We of course stopped at TREX to see what the walk up wait was but that was a no go. We tried several other places but everything had a horrible wait and there was nothing on the MDE app either. Finally Dennis gave in and took my suggestion of trying Wolf Gang Puck Express or Earl of Sandwich. We've eaten at WGPE several times and really like it but he was wanting something different. I've had EoS a few times and really like it but Dennis didn't really want to try it. So, we split up. He and Danielle went to WGPE and I went to EoS. The line was long at EoS but I know it moves pretty quick. While in line the news was given that the system that used Disney Dining was down. Well I was planning on using my quick service meal so this wasn't going to work. I texted Dennis and headed to meet him at WGPE. He was still in line when I got there. I gave him my order and Danielle and I went to grab a table. Guess what? There system went down too right when he got up to order. By now we were HANGRY and couldn't find food. Dennis has a real short temper and when he gets all bent out it's hard to calm him down. Finally we decided to just head back to Riverside and eat there. We took the bus back. We came back to a crowd but it didn't take long to get some grub. Remember it was Good Friday so we had these.

IMG_6022.JPG

The Mahi Sandwich and slaw. Dennis isn't Catholic so he had an Angus Burger
IMG_6023.JPG

I just checked the menu and they don't have the Mahi sandwich anymore. I really liked it. I think Dennis might have gone back and gotten him one too to go with his burger. I know he got it latter in the trip. We had 2 carrot cakes and a rice krispy treat too. We went ahead and activated our refillable mugs too. I know I got a water to have for in the morning. Dennis grabbed a powerade for later and Danielle had the Fanta orange. These were taken around 8.

IMG_6024.JPG

Our tummies were full and good moods had been restored. It was still pretty early so what to do next? Danielle really wanted to go back to DTD. We went all the way down there and she didn't get anything yet. Dennis is a sucker for his girls so of course we headed right back to DTD this time taking the bus. We walked around and looked around. We let the Disney atmosphere work it's magic. Dennis even got a drink. He let Danielle hold it and we sent this picture to Michelle.

Vanessa's I phone photos May 18 2017 630.JPG

NO we did not let her have any, we just wanted to tease Michelle.

I think we might have gotten Danielle a shirt and I think I got an ornament in the Christmas Store. I try to get one every time we come. My goal is to have a Disney tree someday. We eventually made it back to Riverside by bus. We had to be up early the next morning or our first park day. We were heading to the Magic Kingdom and it opened at 8:00 a.m.

Last edited:
Riverside is so beautiful. I almost forgot how beautiful it was since its been awhile since I stayed there. If we go back to moderate, I may just have to go for POR again! Oh and the boat is wonderful. Of course we were down the road at SSR but never took the boat. Not really sure why either. My mom had an ECV but I don't think she took it when we went to DS...but maybe she did.

OMG on the food thing! I think I would've been extremely unhappy. I'm glad you guys finally got food but my goodness, it sure was difficult, wasn't it? BTW, I was totally unimpressed with EoS this trip. I thought it was good in 2012.

My DH would love the LSU shirt. I think, maybe, I mentioned he's from Louisiana.

Looking forward to more!

Riverside is so beautiful. I almost forgot how beautiful it was since its been awhile since I stayed there. If we go back to moderate, I may just have to go for POR again! Oh and the boat is wonderful. Of course we were down the road at SSR but never took the boat. Not really sure why either. My mom had an ECV but I don't think she took it when we went to DS...but maybe she did.

OMG on the food thing! I think I would've been extremely unhappy. I'm glad you guys finally got food but my goodness, it sure was difficult, wasn't it? BTW, I was totally unimpressed with EoS this trip. I thought it was good in 2012.

My DH would love the LSU shirt. I think, maybe, I mentioned he's from Louisiana.

Looking forward to more!

We love Riverside. We're going back again next year. I want to finally take advantage of the resort itself.

We really needed food BAD. A full tummy makes all the difference.

I do believe I saw it mentioned somewhere he was from Louisiana. Michelle graduated from LSU. We have lots of LSU clothes. We usually have a day designated for everyone to wear LSU but didn't this trip.

I have to say I really missed going through the lobby and checking in. I missed getting all the paperwork.

I have made the suggestion that Mousekeeping stock the rooms with the welcome paperwork. It makes sense because if I have to stop back at the desk anyway what is the point of by passing it in the first place????

The princess rooms are so well royal... :laughing:

Ugh on trying to get food, all the way around only to end up back where you started. Glad you regrouped and were able to finish your evening. :goodvibes

Wow, talk about an event filled trip! You guys hit darn near every celebration a family can have. I can't wait to read more.....please

I have made the suggestion that Mousekeeping stock the rooms with the welcome paperwork. It makes sense because if I have to stop back at the desk anyway what is the point of by passing it in the first place????

The princess rooms are so well royal... :laughing:

Ugh on trying to get food, all the way around only to end up back where you started. Glad you regrouped and were able to finish your evening. :goodvibes

After we had full tummies everyone felt better. I think 99% of meltdowns in Disney are food related.

Wow, talk about an event filled trip! You guys hit darn near every celebration a family can have. I can't wait to read more.....please

Thanks you and :welcome:. We did have a lot to celebrate. We just returned from the beach so I'm hoping to get another update done this week.

The boat ride over to DTD really does look relaxing. There's so much to see along the way. I might have to give it a try one day.

Both systems went down...ugh. Sorry you had to go all the way back to the resort to get some food. I guess the silver lining was that your meals were pretty good.

A Disney themed tree....I have a similar goal. It's good to see I'm not the only one who thinks that would make a great addition to the holidays.

The boat ride over to DTD really does look relaxing. There's so much to see along the way. I might have to give it a try one day.

Both systems went down...ugh. Sorry you had to go all the way back to the resort to get some food. I guess the silver lining was that your meals were pretty good.

A Disney themed tree....I have a similar goal. It's good to see I'm not the only one who thinks that would make a great addition to the holidays.

That boat ride make it real hard to try another moderate.

I'm working read hard on that tree.

[URL=http://s125.photobucket.com/user/vamassey/media/A478B2DC-5CAA-4ED4-9263-588841A2D964.jpg.html][/URL]

This was last years tree.

April 4 Magic Kingdom Part 1
Opening the Park

The official park opening time was 8:00 a.m. But for us it was Early Entry. Since this was a rope drop must for us that meant we wanted to be on a bus no later than 6:30 a.m. I don't remember what time we made it the bus but we got to the park and took this at 6:53 a.m.
IMG_6025.JPG

It's looking a little dark. By 6:56 it was looking a little better. And the train has pulled in.

IMG_6026.JPG

I have to say this is my favorite opening show ever. It always gives me a trill and brings tears to my eyes no matter how many times I see it.
IMG_6029.JPG

I didn't take many pictures since we were pretty far back and the lighting was pretty bad. We hustled in with everyone else. This was the crowd we were behind at 7:01 a.m.
IMG_6031.JPG

Our first FP wasn't until 8 so we had an hour to kill. I have to warn you that we go go go from one ride to the next. I have to make Dennis slow down. But we did plan to do as much as we could before the rest of the party arrived. We knew we would have to slow down then. So we headed to the right to Tommorwland. Our first ride of the day was not one of my favorites since it jerks me around so much but I'm usually good for one ride, so off to Space Mountain it was.
MK_SPACEMOUNTAINB_7273185796.jpeg

Next up was a family favorite BUZZ. I remember when we use to rush to this ride first because it had a long line. Now you can ride it several times in row first thing in the morning. And believe me Dennis would do this if I didn't make him get off and ride something else.
MK_BUZZLIGHTYEARRIDE_7273187473.jpeg MK_BUZZLIGHTYEARRIDE_7273184161.jpeg

The girls always like to stop for a visit with Zurg. Does anyone else do this?

IMG_6032.JPG

I noticed in May they had added extra bars so you can't do this anymore.

I really wanted to head towards the new part of Fantasyland. When I came with the cheerleaders we only hit Magic Kingdom at night so I didn't really get "to see it". Dennis had never seen it.

We walked right past the Speedway. I'm kind of glad my kids have outgrown this ride and it's not a must do anymore.

Fantasyland is soooo pretty.

IMG_6037.JPG

Beast's Castle, we would be seeing this place later.

IMG_6039.JPG

Originally I had lots more pictures but now I can only do 10 per post. I'm going to add more to this and put a link to bring you to it.

Rest of post is here [URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/so-much-to-celebrate-a-disney-wedding-30th-anniversary-easter-2015-updated-3-29.3525836/page-14#post-57857707"]So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29[/URL]

Last edited:
Omg...that was so early, but it's easy to see the fruits of your labor as the place looks deserted! I think they have added more bars to the Zurg thing so you can't get in there anymore. Fantasyland looks wonderful that early on! Oh and I love your daughter imitating Ariel. I absolutely love The Little Mermaid. It helps we have matching red hair!

Looking forward to more!

Getting through Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama is pretty quick, but Florida takes FOREVER!

It's the same way coming from the north...you hit Florida and think that you've arrived but still have several hours to go.

Tradition is if you're driving to the beach or to Florida you take a picture in the tunnel that goes under Mobile Bay

I've been through that tunnel!! I've been to Mobile on business.

This was going to be our second stay at Riverside.

I love POR. Easily my favorite moderate.

We tramped up the stairs and insisted Danielle open the door to try out our Magic Bands. When she opened the door and saw this

She was pleasantly surprised and didn't miss that old Alligator Bayou room at all.

Yay, I'm glad she was happy with the room.

If you have never taken the boat ride from Riverside or French Quarter to DTD you really should. It's a wonderful relaxing trip with so many pretty sights.

Oh I have. It's the best!

Sorry that you guys had to go back and forth between the resort and DTD before you finally got some food.

You're a good sport, taking a spin on Space Mountain with the family.

Omg...that was so early, but it's easy to see the fruits of your labor as the place looks deserted! I think they have added more bars to the Zurg thing so you can't get in there anymore. Fantasyland looks wonderful that early on! Oh and I love your daughter imitating Ariel. I absolutely love The Little Mermaid. It helps we have matching red hair!

Looking forward to more!

Did you get to meet Ariel with your red hair? Danielle's was dyed red back during build season so it still had some. Later in the trip when we saw Ariel she commented on it. Made her day!

It's the same way coming from the north...you hit Florida and think that you've arrived but still have several hours to go.

So not fun!

I've been through that tunnel!! I've been to Mobile on business.

We came back through in on Tuesday on our way back from the beach. Due to traffic on Saturday we went around. Did you find Mobile humid?

I love POR. Easily my favorite moderate.

Me too, but it's the only one I've tried so far.

Yay, I'm glad she was happy with the room.

She loved it but still wants to stay in Alligator Bayou.

You're a good sport, taking a spin on Space Mountain with the family.

I thought so too.

Whew, that's an early MK morning, but the park sure looks beautiful with the rising sun.
My family can't do more than one turn on Space Mountain, either. Just too jerky.

I had to laugh at your Tomorrowland Speedway comment, because I had just talked about my kid entering that perfect age to do those things. I'm sure after both my kids insist on going on it a few dozen times I'll be in the same boat as you and be grateful for them to be older.

Love all your photos from Fantasyland. It's great that your girls will pose and have fun at Disney. Not taking life too seriously and stopping to enjoy the small things in life isn't something everyone is great at doing.

Sad to say, I did not this time. I did on an earlier trip but my boys, actually mostly my 4 year old, just wasn't interested in the "girl" characters. Boo!

I think you deserve some time to do things just Mom wants to do too. The interaction with Ariel is soo good.

I had to laugh at your Tomorrowland Speedway comment, because I had just talked about my kid entering that perfect age to do those things. I'm sure after both my kids insist on going on it a few dozen times I'll be in the same boat as you and be grateful for them to be older.

When Danielle was younger this was a favorite for her. We went for her 9th Birthday and they put a sign on the back of her car announcing her birthday. She loved it!

Love all your photos from Fantasyland. It's great that your girls will pose and have fun at Disney. Not taking life too seriously and stopping to enjoy the small things in life isn't something everyone is great at doing.

My girls are very big hams. I think Michelle is the biggest but Danielle gets into it too. I have some great shots from over the years. I hope they never get too old to enjoy it.

Such an early start to your MK day. Always interesting to see the sun come up and AM shadows on the castle.

You got so much done that early. Looking forward to hearing more.

Such an early start to your MK day. Always interesting to see the sun come up and AM shadows on the castle.

You got so much done that early. Looking forward to hearing more.

This was a very early morning for us. We're use to the central time zone, not eastern. Like the say the early bird gets the worm. Stay tuned to see how long these birds lasted.

I'M MICHELLE!

My Disney Fairy Tale Wedding :bride:
#FontenotFairyTale

Hello, all! As my mother mentioned, I've been briefed on my participation in this thread. I'm Michelle, and I GOT MARRIED AT THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH! That's my claim to fame. I see my mom's making her way through the first part of the trip when they arrived prior to all of us. I guess I just wanted to throw out the background before we "arrive"... in terms of Disney Wedding Planning. So my apologies in advance if there's a ton of info. and I'm super new to this, so my emoji game is a little weak.

First of all, I'm major Type A personality. I make lists to make lists to have meetings to plan things. That's just how I roll, and I'm good at it. So essentially, planning a wedding should be a dream for me, right?! WRONG. When we got engaged, it was in New Orleans because my husband knew if he tried to ask me to relax at home, I'd be more concerned about what needed to be done around the house or what groceries needed to be bought for the next week. This also made a big impact on our decision to do a destination wedding. I was not interested in all of the hulabaloo and $$$ that goes into a big, white wedding so I could walk around for hours, smile for pictures, and mingle. However, that does mean we missed a few things, like dancing with my dad, the Church's blessing, and having all of our friends and family there. But there are pros and cons to everything and we wouldn't have changed it for the world. In fact, my husband and I very seriously plan to continue to renew our vows in every place Disney allows you to over time!

Around our engagement, we had toyed with the idea of a big, white wedding and I tried to find ways to make it work in my head, but it just didn't pan out. So his cousin comes to town and everyone is talking about how great her wedding in Vegas was and how destination weddings are the best.
Note: she got married in Vegas, but it was still no small affair. My husband comes from a large, Italian, extended family. So, yeah. That was a hot topic at dinner while she was visiting. The next day, my husband and I went tailgating at an LSU game. I'll never forget the moment the words left my lips. We were talking about wedding planning and, half intoxicated, I just said, "If we're getting married, we're having a destination wedding. And it's going to be in Disney World!"

And that was it! We looked into it, sent a few emails, inquired about the whole process. Next thing you know they gave us all available time slots and locations for the week we were planning and it was just a matter of checking a few boxes. We decided on a Sunday-Friday trip with the wedding on Tuesday. Now I don't remember why we chose Tuesday, but I want to say it was to give everyone time to get there and settled before the big day, but early enough in the trip so we still had a simi-honeymoon... with my (now)step daughter and both of our families. :grouphug:

Honestly, originally we had planned an "Escape" package wedding which would have been at the Wedding Pavillion with about 20 people total and a small reception at the Grand Floridian. Forgive me if I don't remember specifics, but that was going to run us a lot more money and trying to get our family and friends to Disney was a lot more difficult than we had anticipated. Not to mention life just got in the way and I was to the point that I didn't care about a reception or how many people were there. I just wanted to marry my love and enjoy our "wedding moon." So we moved to the "Memories" collection with the help of the wonderful (I can't say this enough) people that work for Disney!

Moving from Escape to Memories meant we were giving up on a lot of the amenities included in that price, like a cake, a small reception, annual passes, etc. But it was nothing worth crying over for us, and Disney still made a point to make us feel like royalty throughout the planning process as well as the day of. At the end of the day, we would be married with our closest family there, and in the Happiest Place on Earth. What the Memories wedding did allow us was four guests (more on this later), location, a photographer (20 5x7s included), 3 hour of limo time or an "in room celebration", fresh flowers, a violinist, and an on site coordinator. From that point, it was just picking the details. Disney is AMAZING at this. They basically give you a form with all the options and you pick the ones you want. It was like picking all the toys you wanted for Christmas from the sales circulars. I'll post more on that later. I don't want to write an entire book. And there will be plenty of pictures to come!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter