So who really is allowed in BLT's Top of the World Lounge?

WaDiWo

WDWFan!
Hi all!

When we recently checked in at the Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary, we were under the impression the Top of the World Lounge (and viewing area for Wishes) would be for BLT guests only, as a nice perk.

Then we were told that it was open for all DVC members, whether they were staying at BLT or not. That's fine, still a nice perk.

But then, when we were there, we saw other DVC members bringing guests who were nonmembers and were not even staying on property! How do we know this? Because we had a conversation with them on the elevator on the way up and while waiting for a table in the now crowded lounge.

Now, sorry if this sounds like I want to exclude anybody, but I would respect the same perks in other resorts that I'm not staying at ... I don't try to play in Stormalong Bay if I'm not staying at the Beach and Yacht club, for example. I don't try to swim in the pool at the Art of Animation if I'm not staying there, for example.

We just really wanted to enjoy a nice quiet viewing area for Wishes with a drink, a nice perk of being a DVC member staying at Bay Lake Tower ... not competing for space in the lounge with people who are getting the same perks for free! :confused3

Hi all!

When we recently checked in at the Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary, we were under the impression the Top of the World Lounge (and viewing area for Wishes) would be for BLT guests only, as a nice perk.

Then we were told that it was open for all DVC members, whether they were staying at BLT or not. That's fine, still a nice perk.

But then, when we were there, we saw other DVC members bringing guests who were nonmembers and were not even staying on property! How do we know this? Because we had a conversation with them on the elevator on the way up and while waiting for a table in the now crowded lounge.

Now, sorry if this sounds like I want to exclude anybody, but I would respect the same perks in other resorts that I'm not staying at ... I don't try to play in Stormalong Bay if I'm not staying at the Beach and Yacht club, for example. I don't try to swim in the pool at the Art of Animation if I'm not staying there, for example.

We just really wanted to enjoy a nice quiet viewing area for Wishes with a drink, a nice perk of being a DVC member staying at Bay Lake Tower ... not competing for space in the lounge with people who are getting the same perks for free! :confused3

They should only be bringing guests who are staying with the member at a WDW resort.

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: the Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2013 (blockout dates in 2013 are July 3 and 4, and December 30 and 31). Current operating hours are 6 p.m. to midnight.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current Key to the World card displaying a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge. If the Member's Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is required in addition to the Key to the World card to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking is unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

sorry your visit was not what you planned.

so write DVC and complain otherwise it will not stop.

the lounge which is now DVC not disney - does not make enough money w/o other guests.

really expecting DVC to open it up to anyone staying at BLT or CR - if this does not work.

of course then would expect it to close to DVC members staying elsewhere.

have not heard if the lounge business has increase it enough to kept it for members only.

only heard complaints about service - not getting waited on and such.

If I remember the original blt sales material, the lounge is not a guaranteed benefit and may be removed at any time. I believe they can use that space for anything they like such as a sales office or corporate office.

Currently they are trying to make it self supporting by allowing all DVC members access. The next steps are probably opening it to all comers or repurposing the space. If they get enough complaints about the crowds, I think repurposing is next.

The enforcement of Disney's rules is inconstant and depends allot on the CM's. Some don't like confrontation, others seem go a little bit overboard.

During our last stay at BLT they wouldn't accept our room keys for access and we had to go back to our room to get DW's DVC Member ID.

:earsboy: Bill

we were just there last week from BWV. Our keys did not say member on them so they asked for out blue member card. we had them as we always have them with us. I suggest all members carry there member cards and expect the CM to ask for it. We had no problems , we were all members (4 adults) and our service was very good. All the seats were taken except a few at the bar. We got to sit at the high top tables by the window ,what a view:goodvibes

Perhaps they can handle it like pool hopping. We are allowed to pool hop but may be asked to leave if that pool reaches capacity in order to accomodate guests of that resort hotel.

The same can be done with TOWL. All DVC members may go up but should be asked to leave if the lounge reaches capacity in order to accomodate guests of BLT.

If I remember the original blt sales material, the lounge is not a guaranteed benefit and may be removed at any time. I believe they can use that space for anything they like such as a sales office or corporate office.

Currently they are trying to make it self supporting by allowing all DVC members access. The next steps are probably opening it to all comers or repurposing the space. If they get enough complaints about the crowds, I think repurposing is next.

I think they would make it private, they could rent it out for weddings and private functions. Similiar to The Attic at BWV.

During our BLT stay in Dec. we had trouble finding a table or place to sit on several visits to TOTWL. One night when we finally got a table we were shocked that the family at the table next to ours brought their own beverages and snacks. They did finally order cokes for the kids who were bouncing on the large ottoman.

I think they would make it private, they could rent it out for weddings and private functions. Similiar to The Attic at BWV.

don't think they can - it is not part of Disney - just DVC.

think what will happen if they can't make it pay - is to close the lounge area - think DVC members will still be able to go on the Deck.

just no more drinking... which I will miss.

that changed last year - it now belongs to DVC not Disney. think it belongs to BLT DVC members just not sure about that.

before that change it belonged to Disney.

so Disney can't take it away like they did the attic at BWV.

TWL is a great idea in theory but in practice it has been somewhat disappointing when we've gone. The fireworks of course are great. The lounge service has been hit and miss. The lighting was too low (even before the fireworks).

If you are sitting inside during the fireworks your view is blocked by the people standing in front of the windows.

It is unfortunate that the interior was not built up a bit on a platform, it would have given a unobstructed view form the inside. Outside having standing tables or add'l seating would be nice as well. The other thing is the place seems active for 45 minutes.

I just think that the facility is not used to its full potential. Unfortunately I could see TWL going away without changes, based on my experiences there.

During our BLT stay in Dec. we had trouble finding a table or place to sit on several visits to TOTWL. One night when we finally got a table we were shocked that the family at the table next to ours brought their own beverages and snacks. They did finally order cokes for the kids who were bouncing on the large ottoman.
THat has been my experience as well. We sat at the bar, having a few drinks and watched a family of about 6 or 7 come in, bags in hand. They took up the entire middle of the lounge area!! Kids bouncing around like it was a ball pit at McDonald's!!! Then, mom opened the bags...out came all their premade sandwiches and cans of soda. Bags of chips, bags of desserts. And when it was about 5 mins to fireworks time?? They up and left, headed out to the deck and left a God awful mess behind!!! They left everything there, for a CM to clean up!!
I have seldom seen the lounge used much...it gets busy about 20 mins prior to the fireworks, but most people aren't buying anything...just sitting around chatting until about 5 mins before the show starts.
We try to order at least a drink or two. It's a beautiful place to sit and chat and catch up after a long day. I would hate to see it go away.
But I do like the option of going if we are staying on points somewhere onsite.

We are here now. In fact I can look up from my balcony chair and see into TOTWL. We checked in last night just in time to see Wishes. No one checked our room keys at any point. We got in the elevator and went up to the 16th floor because that's where our room is. Walked a few doors down to TOTWL. Glad I did it but probably won't be a regular thing for us.Way too many little kids swinging from the chairs and sitting at the bar. Definitely not a lounge experience. Also, the fireworks show from inside the park is much better. The food and service were very good,however.It's a nice perk, but no substitute for seeing Wishes from inside MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter