Soda, Pop or Coke? Or something else?

We are at Applebees last week. The waiter said "I'll be back to check on ew-uns"

I asked "where are you from?"
He said "where do you think I am from?"
I said "Well, you said ew-uns. That means you are from south eastern KY, eastern TN or the south west area of VA. I guess Clay county."
He said, "you are one county off!"

My degree is in Interpreting for Deaf Individuals. I loved my socio-linguistics classes. I loved all linguistics classes actually. The main rule is "You talk like those that you relate to and communicate with" Regional dialects are great :).

Studies show that a child that has been raised in an abusive home, but watch a lot of tv, will learn to enunciate like the tv casters, completely eliminating the local dialect. Very interesting stuff....

Stepping off my nerd-box ;)

Beth--please step back on your box. I find that stuff fascinatingpopcorn:: I had never heard the item about kids from abusive homes picking up the TV dialects. Really interesting.

We are at Applebees last week. The waiter said "I'll be back to check on ew-uns"

I asked "where are you from?"
He said "where do you think I am from?"
I said "Well, you said ew-uns. That means you are from south eastern KY, eastern TN or the south west area of VA. I guess Clay county."
He said, "you are one county off!"

My degree is in Interpreting for Deaf Individuals. I loved my socio-linguistics classes. I loved all linguistics classes actually. The main rule is "You talk like those that you relate to and communicate with" Regional dialects are great :).

Studies show that a child that has been raised in an abusive home, but watch a lot of tv, will learn to enunciate like the tv casters, completely eliminating the local dialect. Very interesting stuff....

Stepping off my nerd-box ;)

Very interesting!

Maybe you can answer a question I've long had: what's the accent of the television actors and announcers from the 50s? You don't hear it anymore, and I've always wondered wth it was! Is that the way they talked in California in the 50s? Or did *everyone* talk like that then??

Grew up in the Midwest and have always called it Pop. Most of the Chicago restaurants I've been to have had either "Pop" on the menu or "Drinks." I have family down South who call it Soda and Coke. I don't care what you call it just get me a Dr. Pepper :thumbsup2]

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, I've heard several people just call it a beverage here as well.

Love Dr Pepper.

I heard it tastes different in the south. :confused:

The gas station near my house sells Coke from Mexico!

Talk about a buzz! :thumbsup2

Love Dr Pepper.

I heard it tastes different in the south. :confused:

Not that I'm aware of.

Unless you get the Dr. Pepper that's bottled in Dublin, TX.

They still use sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

MUCH better tasting! ::yes::

You dont want to schlepp all the way over here, but you know where the Big Lots on OBT is? Just south of the Florida Mall? Well there is a Mexican Grocery store/restaurant in that plaza that sells it too!

The restaurant has great Mexican food also!

You dont want to schlepp all the way over here, but you know where the Big Lots on OBT is? Just south of the Florida Mall? Well there is a Mexican Grocery store/restaurant in that plaza that sells it too!

The restaurant has great Mexican food also!

I was thinking of a friend who loves real sugar Coca-Cola. She lives in Hunters Creek. That's not as far for her as it would be for me.:thumbsup2

Pretty sure they have "Mexican" pepsi too! And other flavors!

Pretty sure they have "Mexican" pepsi too! And other flavors!

Oh. Well, I won't ever recommend that anyone buy any Pepsi product ever, but that's my personal bias getting in the way.

:rolleyes1

Oh. Well, I won't ever recommend that anyone buy any Pepsi product ever, but that's my personal bias getting in the way.

:rolleyes1

1039467024_d9b825a560.jpg
:rotfl2:

Luv, Luv, LUV me real mexican coke w/ all the sugar...all the caffeine!

As far as Pepsi goes...

mommiedearest.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter