• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Something About Nothing ... #12

am really bummed. We just found out that the contractor we were going to hire for our deck repair is not licensed. That’s not a risk I am willing to take. We should have known that his low quote was too good to be true. Back to the drawing board.

Glad you found out about the contractor before you hired him.

Charade, I always hate trying to find contractors out of the blue. We need to replace the heating elements on our water heater and replace our garage doors very soon. We are really unfamiliar with vendors. I dug through my receipts for the last plumbing project I had done 3 years ago and hope he can help with the water heater. The garage doors are being handled by a local company that carries the doors I like and are "authorized dealers" for that brand so I am hopeful.

What kind of deck repairs? Anything you can do yourself? We end up learning how to do things ourselves a lot and just going for it. Amazing what you can learn on YouTube. We ended up doing our own deck repairs, and re-staining last summer but the repairs were minor.

I used to be 5’5. Everyone said I was shrinking. I would protest. Had DEXA scan last year and tech lol’d th n measured me and said she’d be nice & give me’ 5 feet on my chart. Yet another of life’s special moments slapping me upside my head!

Hey....I've known you since, when ...2004 or 5 ?
You were short back then and you are short now.

I'm 5' 3.5" barefooted and i had to look down at you last year.

I'm bringing a tape measure with me this year

What kind of deck repairs? Anything you can do yourself? We end up learning how to do things ourselves a lot and just going for it. Amazing what you can learn on YouTube. We ended up doing our own deck repairs, and re-staining last summer but the repairs were minor.

We are both completely inept when it comes to home repairs. The deck needs serious repairs, almost a complete rebuild. We are also planning an extension. We have a small balcony attached to the master bedroom. We are planning on removing that and just extending the deck. If we do that then we will also have to move the stairs. We are going to get a few more quotes and then make a decision.

Contractor talk.....

I know your pain charade as we are always searching for someone that knows what they are doing and if they have insurance.

I have been looking for one year to find a qualified company to replace/repair our deck.

The fly by nights are always ready to work.
The established, qualified are hard to hire.
Wait listing for them is what we have had to do.

5’7” here- with a 6’2” husband and daughter, other dtr 5’6” (and still growing) and 5’4” son who hasn’t hit growth spurt yet. I’ll be the shorty.

Will check kids band schedules when we get back. May be able to sneak away for long weekend end of September, or else will be end of October (maybe- have a cruise in October too).

5`7 here too!!! Perfect height for a lady I`m told...…..:D

Nice to be able to get your plans sorted out MonyK……….

I am really bummed. We just found out that the contractor we were going to hire for our deck repair is not licensed. That’s not a risk I am willing to take. We should have known that his low quote was too good to be true. Back to the drawing board.

That sucks! Nope, only trusted and recommended tradesmen for us too...….it really isn't worth it. We were caught out once, thankfully the work was still actually really good......but, we were lucky.

Evening Sans family :wave2:

I will be at HHN if no changes occur Sept 30 to October 12.

Tink go for the short vacation and celebrate.

:wave2:

Happy Wednesday...……

I hate shopping for dull stuff...….and today we had to go look for a new grass cutter...….dull isn't the word. And we didn't even buy one......he couldn't make up his mind. Told him to just order one and have it delivered......like the shed.....I really don't care what kind or size it is...…..

BLT`s for lunch today...…..quiet day ahead.

Now under 30 days till NYC and Orlando...….:cheer2:29 sleeps. My DH is officially worse than me for being impatient for the next trip ::yes::

Have a great Wednesday...…...

I used to be 5’5. Everyone said I was shrinking. I would protest. Had DEXA scan last year and tech lol’d th n measured me and said she’d be nice & give me’ 5 feet on my chart. Yet another of life’s special moments slapping me upside my head!

I need to go look at that picture of us all at HHN...….I thought you were taller...….:scratchin

images
Camel - hump day, oh yes it is, Schumi. And yay! Your countdown is in the 20's now. Little one would join you for lunch. She always orders BLTs, with no mayo. Quiet day is a good day, in my book.

Charade, that is frustrating, my Dsis did that too, got her old deck torn down, then expanded, and added more stairs, and also connected to her bedroom outside door as well. I hope you can find a quality contractor to fix yours.

So, cloudy Wednesday for us. Weather reporter: clouds most of the day, rain, though I don't see it being that heavy, but there are intermittent thunderstorms around. Muggy day says me.

With that, take a peak on the horizon, Friday is coming closer into focus, yes, this hump of a day means the weekend isn't far away.

And little one has her last day of school. Wow, that was fast. Asked her since the school calendar says last day is Thursday, why not finishing up tomorrow? Well she doubled up her finals, so has one this morning, then she is finished, and does not have to report or stay in school after her last exam. Ah, the mom alarm will be turned off for almost two weeks. ::yes::

Time for tea, and oh pooh, that AC is cranking high. Should have worn socks.

:wave2: Good Morning homies.

It looks like rain here this morning

We have such a weird day here......started off warm and sunny and now its cloudy and dull.

Weather warning of high winds for tonight into tomorrow......lovely.

Still trying to find a new decorator...….I don't want to wait 5 weeks, but all the good ones are busy. I`d have a bash myself, but with the flooring down in both rooms I`d rather the professionals did it anyway...…..I used to like decorating, now...….no.

Out tonight for early dinner...…...

Wednesday and nearly done with vacay. Ah well still have a few more days. At American Express Lounge at universal studios hydrating and cooling off. Girl teen didn’t want to get up this am so we left her sleeping in condo-better than dealing with cranky teen. Rode transformers, F&F, MiB twice, spells around Diagonal alley and now going to head out for pool time. USO closes tonight at 6, so want to be back here in time to ride HE to IoA, and Grigotts with EP. Have lots of food for lunch at condo, plus can make a frozen concoction for poolside.
F&F was ok. Could be so much better but glad we did it. We did like Kong though.

Oh, I have stories about a cranky teen, MonyK. LOL Glad you are having a great time, and get to have more fun for a few more days.

After being so cold inside, and yawning some, took a walk in the light rain, and ended up with a large, hot macchiato. Feel warmer and peppier now.

Got my hair cut last night, and was asked if wanted layers. Um, not really, but if you think I should. Eek, puff is not the right word, and well, it will grow out. Legally blonde though, and that's a good thing. Little one also got her hair, that was as long as her butt, cut shorter. After over 10 inches given to Locks of Love. Unhappy little one says look at this little ponytail. Nah, don't feel sorry for ya. It will grow out, just look at me. :laughing: She wanted her hair dyed black, but that was met with frowns, so no dyed hair for her. She doesn't understand, her hair color is beautiful. Born with brown hair, that has blonde and red highlights. Ain't it always what you don't have. LOL

:cool2:

It's always nice when I'm not the shortest in a group. I need some of you shorties to stand next to me to make me feel taller. (I've only met mac and she's taller than me). I'm 5'1". My predicted adult height was only 4'6" at one point so I actually don't feel that short. I'm normal short. Not "look at that short lady" short. I was "you must be lying about your age" short for most of my childhood. Hubby is 6'5" so he can reach the high stuff and I can reach the low stuff. (And our kids had a chance. Only one out of the three is short and though always the shortest in a group her age, not medical testing shortness so that's good. The tough part was waiting so long for the 54" rides for her).

Watching everyone put their dates on the HHN thread is difficult! I want to put my dates on there too but don't know them yet. I expect I will be there at least one of the first few Sundays. Maybe a couple of them. We found Sundays were good days to go. The teen crowd was lower, the adults got a little less rowdy, and crowds were more manageable. Plus, we could get there earlier and do rides since husband wasn't at work.

I have to do some more research on the passes we bought. I know we get a ticket to HHN but I think only good for certain nights? Preferred parking was nice but think hubs is gonna use valet from now on. Talk about spoiled - that and kids don't have to wait in "standby" lines :rotfl2:. Although we did MiB standby and transformers and Spider-Man standby - you miss a bit going EP, so that was fun. And standby walk on, so even better this am.

Wonder if the summer attendance for both parks down? DCP kidult got 2 extra comp tickets- no cm entrance needed- good through June 29. No notice or warning or anything. Makes ya wonder...

Poolside with nice cocktail, sun out from behind cloud, time to get cooled off again.

Happy Wednesday peeps. Robo hope you are feeling better, and agave girl you too!

Mony you can pull up the link for the premier pass in the FAQ Quick Access Sticky.
I have the pass link in that site.

The after 4 pm for one time usage of the ride lines is not valid during hhn nights

You can use your one night free hhn ticket any night but Saturdays.
You get 15% discounts while preferred receives 10% discounts.

Maybe the motherland is trying to drum up the crowds for June?

Still trying to find a new decorator...….I don't want to wait 5 weeks, but all the good ones are busy. I`d have a bash myself, but with the flooring down in both rooms I`d rather the professionals did it anyway...…..I used to like decorating, now...….no.

Fly me over and I will paint every wall in your house purple.
You'll love it

But you will have to hire another one of the homies for clean up.
I don't do floors.

It's always nice when I'm not the shortest in a group. I need some of you shorties to stand next to me to make me feel taller. (I've only met mac and she's taller than me). I'm 5'1". My predicted adult height was only 4'6" at one point so I actually don't feel that short. I'm normal short. Not "look at that short lady" short. I was "you must be lying about your age" short for most of my childhood. Hubby is 6'5" so he can reach the high stuff and I can reach the low stuff. (And our kids had a chance. Only one out of the three is short and though always the shortest in a group her age, not medical testing shortness so that's good. The tough part was waiting so long for the 54" rides for her).

Watching everyone put their dates on the HHN thread is difficult! I want to put my dates on there too but don't know them yet. I expect I will be there at least one of the first few Sundays. Maybe a couple of them. We found Sundays were good days to go. The teen crowd was lower, the adults got a little less rowdy, and crowds were more manageable. Plus, we could get there earlier and do rides since husband wasn't at work.

I have met kohlby and she is short.
and she is very nice.

I have been doing my best not to mention Randy Newman's song......

Just give us a heads up on the san when you plan to hit hhn.
One of us surely would be there and could do a mini meet with you.

I only listed my dates here.
Figure every else reading on the dis, does check the thread out and reads it on occassion.

I'm always ready for a meet up.

Some days are longer than others. You know you’re beat when counting down the hours till you can crawl into bed

Poured off & on all day. Was comfortable, then the sun came out and the dew point soared yuck. Was just told the softball game is still on. No idea how that could be as field will be a mess as in rough shape last game, season winding down the grooming has slacked off. Glad i don’t have to clean that uniform afterwards

I need to go look at that picture of us all at HHN...….I thought you were taller...….:scratchin

I project taller hahahaha a legend in my own mind:crazy: The 80’s were great, got to tease that hair for an extra inch or two. Half considering ‘bounding’ that way for HHN lol. No costumes allowed i realize, but it’s very popular @ WDW and i do see large groups rocking 40’s & 50’s gear mostly for photos @ U on weekends now & again. Revenge of the material girl? Lol

I have to do some more research on the passes we bought. I know we get a ticket to HHN but I think only good for certain nights? Preferred parking was nice but think hubs is gonna use valet from now on. Talk about spoiled - that and kids don't have to wait in "standby" lines :rotfl2:. Although we did MiB standby and transformers and Spider-Man standby - you miss a bit going EP, so that was fun. And standby walk on, so even better this am.

Wonder if the summer attendance for both parks down? DCP kidult got 2 extra comp tickets- no cm entrance needed- good through June 29. No notice or warning or anything. Makes ya wonder...

Poolside with nice cocktail, sun out from behind cloud, time to get cooled off again.

Happy Wednesday peeps. Robo hope you are feeling better, and agave girl you too!

That is interesting. Will say it wasn’t too bad week pre Mother’s Day. Had been there in past same time period and it was much busier. Weather was hot & dry, perfect park weather

Conversely, WDW was slammed especially @ MK over multiple visits in Jan, Feb, April & May. Then, i read the reports that they were cutting back dramatically on staffing & loading rides. Same as they do last hours of the night to rack up the standby times to discourage guests. Shady stuff indeed.

Fly me over and I will paint every wall in your house purple.
You'll love it

But you will have to hire another one of the homies for clean up.
I don't do floors.

No windows for me but i clean a mean bathroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter