Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

I called today and added on two days at the beginning of the trip at the Loews. There was a waitlist for the ABD rate at the GCH at the end of the tour, but I’m not sure I want to pay those rates anyway. The vacationista said they would do a return to the airport if you stay at any if the Disneyland hotels, so i was looking at Paradise Pier, but honestly I might just stay at a hotel on Harbor to save some money,

I called today and added on two days at the beginning of the trip at the Loews. There was a waitlist for the ABD rate at the GCH at the end of the tour, but I’m not sure I want to pay those rates anyway. The vacationista said they would do a return to the airport if you stay at any if the Disneyland hotels, so i was looking at Paradise Pier, but honestly I might just stay at a hotel on Harbor to save some money,
There is a Best Western Park Place Inn right across the street on the east side, a straight walk past the bus drop offs to the security entrance on that side of the esplanade.

https://parkplaceinnandminisuites.com/

There is a Best Western Park Place Inn right across the street on the east side, a straight walk past the bus drop offs to the security entrance on that side of the esplanade.

https://parkplaceinnandminisuites.com/
We’ve stayed there before several times. I priced the Best Western and the Parkvue Inn, and the Parkvue is cheaper, so I’m probably going to go with that. Just trying to picture what it will be like dragging our luggage all the way from the Grand Californian to there though.

We’ve stayed there before several times. I priced the Best Western and the Parkvue Inn, and the Parkvue is cheaper, so I’m probably going to go with that. Just trying to picture what it will be like dragging our luggage all the way from the Grand Californian to there though.
I'd recommend an Uber. It'll be $10 and save you the trouble of walking all the way around property.

As @jimmymc says, you'd have to drag your luggage half way around the property, either down to Katella or up towards Ball. I don't think there's any way to cut across the Esplanade between Disneyland and DCA, you'd have too much trouble going through security with all that. An Uber or a taxi would be your best bet.

Sayhello

That‘s good advice about the Uber, the cost will be worth not trying to get the luggage there ourselves.

I’m trying to figure out our Hollywood days before the trip. We arrive two days before on 1/12. On 1/13, we’re going to go to Univereal. But what to do for 1/14 before we meet for the group dinner. I was thinking maybe the Warner Brothers tour, jf I’m not sure if my son wants to do that. Where exactly do they take us in Hollywood? I would want to duplicate anything.

That‘s good advice about the Uber, the cost will be worth not trying to get the luggage there ourselves.

I’m trying to figure out our Hollywood days before the trip. We arrive two days before on 1/12. On 1/13, we’re going to go to Univereal. But what to do for 1/14 before we meet for the group dinner. I was thinking maybe the Warner Brothers tour, jf I’m not sure if my son wants to do that. Where exactly do they take us in Hollywood? I would want to duplicate anything.
Last year I just relaxed at the pool for a few hours, while this year was Universal part 2.

The ABD takes you to Jim Henson and the Disney Studios, neither of which do public tours. Warner Bros or Paramount Studios would both be great options if your son is interested. The Art Museum, Tar Pits, Peterson Automotive Museum, or Farmers Market are all not too far.

I think he’s like the Warner Brothers tour. I asked him what he wants to do when we’re on our own and he said got to In and Out, lol. So we’ll work that in.

We arrive two days before on 1/12. On 1/13, we’re going to go to Univereal. But what to do for 1/14 before we meet for the group dinner. I was thinking maybe the Warner Brothers tour, jf I’m not sure if my son wants to do that. Where exactly do they take us in Hollywood? I would want to duplicate anything.
The Warner Brothers Studio Tour is an excellent option. Hiking around Griffith Park or going to Griffith Observatory will get you wonderful views of the Hollywood Sign.

For the final day of the trip, what park will our tickets have a reservation for? We’re going to stay an additional day after that and I’m just going to get one day tickets. I’m wondering what park I would make a reservation for for that ticket, it would depend on what park we would have a reservation for the prior day.

And sorry if I have so many questions, but I’m just trying to figure this all out. Thanks,

For the final day of the trip, what park will our tickets have a reservation for? We’re going to stay an additional day after that and I’m just going to get one day tickets. I’m wondering what park I would make a reservation for for that ticket, it would depend on what park we would have a reservation for the prior day.

And sorry if I have so many questions, but I’m just trying to figure this all out. Thanks,
Don't be sorry!! That's what this Forum is for!

Sayhello

The first night, the reservation is Disneyland, The second day is DCA, the third day is disneyland. The fourth day is also disneyland, however you can ask your guides to switch it, if you want to go to DCA. If you want them to switch it, please ask them before day 4.

Plesae note that they are park hoppers. Also note that day 4 is not a tour group day, after breakfast, you are on your own (i.e. tour is over after breakfast, although you get one more anytime lightning lane to use on day 4).

I have yet another question, lol. For the Hollywood part of the trip, besides TCL Chinese theater and the Hollywood walk of fame, where else in Hollywood do they take you? I’m still working on plans for our free time before the trip and wouldnt want to duplicate somewhere they’d be taking us anyway. Thank.

I have yet another question, lol. For the Hollywood part of the trip, besides TCL Chinese theater and the Hollywood walk of fame, where else in Hollywood do they take you? I’m still working on plans for our free time before the trip and wouldnt want to duplicate somewhere they’d be taking us anyway. Thank.
I've been on the trip 3 times, and each time they have taken us to different places.

It's really a matter of what is actually available on that day.

One time we had a tour of the Dolby Theater (where academy awards are done) and a lot of talk about the oscars and its history, one time we had an extensive tour of El Capitan theater, etc. There was even one time we went to wax museum as an optional late night activity, although that is unlikely to happen now (not popular choice).

The only other thing that you didn't mention is the meetup at Ghiradelli across the street, that has happened each time. This is an optional activity.

So it's really impossible to answer that question since it (can) changes on almost every time.

I've been on the trip 3 times, and each time they have taken us to different places.

It's really a matter of what is actually available on that day.

One time we had a tour of the Dolby Theater (where academy awards are done) and a lot of talk about the oscars and its history, one time we had an extensive tour of El Capitan theater, etc. There was even one time we went to wax museum as an optional late night activity, although that is unlikely to happen now (not popular choice).

The only other thing that you didn't mention is the meetup at Ghiradelli across the street, that has happened each time. This is an optional activity.

So it's really impossible to answer that question since it (can) changes on almost every time.

No, this is actually very helpful. It gives me some ideas of what we might be doing. Thanks.

You've gotten good advice from @Steve G above. I'd just add that "Hollywood" of the past is pretty much gone. At least what most of us think about when we hear the name. Other than some movie studios (that aren't included in the ABD) and the local area around your hotel there really isn't a lot else to see.

Also, avoid any of those open air tours that say they will show you where the stars live. All you'll see is a bunch of tall fences and be told this is where so and so used to live.

The last day is Disneyland, but you can always change it.

The welcome dinner is always in the hotel. On my first trip we did a group outing to see Thor in the El Capitan Theater after, and on my second we didn't do anything.

On both my trips, our Hollywood day started with tours of the El Capitan and Chinese Theaters, then Jim Henson Studios, and lunch at the Tam O'Shanter. After that, you typically go to
Walt's Train Barn in Griffith Park
, but the first time that location was having construction done, so we went to the Academy museum instead. Then we had a snack with the group, and dinner was on our own. Both times I was still full from lunch and our snack, so I grabbed a salad at the hotel. If you don't see a movie after your welcome dinner, this is a good time to do it. It's also the best chance if you'd like to see somewhere at night specifically.

On Tuesday, you go right from breakfast to the Disney Studios, eat lunch there, then see Imagineering and head to Disneyland.

Oh, good to know that the Academy museum is one of the things we might do since that’s one the things I was considering. We’ve been to Disneyland numerous times, and LA once, where the only touristy things we did was see the Hollywood sign and go to the La Brea tarpits. Oh, and I think we went to the Grove and the Farmers market. The day I’m looking for ideas is the day the tour begins, before the we
come dinner, so I don’t want to go too far out of the way since it’s only part of the day available.

I love old movie history. My son likes it but likes animation, modern tv/movie history, and music too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter