Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

I’m just wondering what further information I should expect before out trip next month. I did receive the package from ABD, and an email around the same time. But will I receive an email with specifics like when to meet on the first night? And since I pre-booked nights at the Loews, will I receive anything from them?
You should receive either a letter in your room and/or a text message from your guides, detailing when to meet on the first night.
As well, there should be information in your room and/or text message regarding meeting up with your guide at the hotel to say hello during the day before the first night dinner if you are around the hotel, this is optional, but a good way to meet your guides and let them know any expectations and answer any questions you have.

I did not receive anything from Loews. Loews is very hands off on this trip, the only time I really dealt with them was during checkin.

While I do agree with vakamalua as to being disappointed with my last trip (it was the podcast one even) in some respects, it is overall such a wonderful experience. The only thing I can strongly disagree with is the "Guide Inattention", they are always available and always helpful for us on all the ABD trips I have been on, never had a complaint on the guides. I am not doubting vaka's experience, I am just saying it should be very rare that that could happen. I've been on 4 ABD trips, and on each trip there were things that the guides did for us that go above and beyond what I would have expected.

I documented some of my experiences in previous posts, so won't go into it again.

Lack of Pre-Trip Service -- Vague, so difficult to comment on. I find in most cases that the Vacationistas on the phone are nice, and helpful, but maybe not 100% knowledgable, which I think is to be expected. I am not sure what else Pre-Trip service can refer to.
Unwieldy Group Size -- yes, it can be unwieldy, however they typically do divide the groups up when it makes sense
ABD/Grand Californian Reservation Mistake -- I assume you didn't get the room you wanted or something similar.
Some Disappointing Behind the Scenes/VIP Experiences -- Agree, mainly because I had been on the same trip 2 times previously, and the previous ones were much better.
Guide Inattention -- Disagree strongly in all my experiences, but of course, things can happen.
Uneven paced days with rushed meals -- not sure what this referred to, but I don't remember feeling rushed on any of the meals or at any of the locations. Some days can be uneven, but that's just the nature of the timing of when they can arrange certain tours.

I’m just wondering what further information I should expect before out trip next month. I did receive the package from ABD, and an email around the same time. But will I receive an email with specifics like when to meet on the first night? And since I pre-booked nights at the Loews, will I receive anything from them?
You should receive an email with a link to the electronic handbook for your trip, which will have a lot of the details about your trip. Things like the meeting time the first night will be communicated to you when you arrive at the Lowes.
The only thing I can strongly disagree with is the "Guide Inattention", they are always available and always helpful for us on all the ABD trips I have been on, never had a complaint on the guides. I am not doubting vaka's experience, I am just saying it should be very rare that that could happen. I've been on 4 ABD trips, and on each trip there were things that the guides did for us that go above and beyond what I would have expected.
I've been on 13 ABDs, and inattention would be the last thing I would attribute to our Adventure Guides in my experience. They ALWAYS went above and beyond. There were some personality issues with one of the Guides on my Alaska trip in 2009, but that's been the only one, and it affected her behavior with the other Guide, not her attention to us, the guests.

Sayhello

One thing I would mention for those of you on upcoming trips- the handbook tells you to meet your driver in the median of the arrivals area and to look for the ABD sign. This is not correct- your driver will be at baggage claim with your name on a sign. The driver will also have your phone number and will text you with this information. Unfortunately, for our trip- the driver only had my Mom's number. We arrived on separate flights, and even though ABD had both of our numbers, they only gave my Mom's number to the transportation company. They did text her with my driver's info, and where he would be, but she was in flight so she couldn't forward to me.

I just want to mention this as I know it's been an issue for a few people and hate to have people walking around the median of LAX (which is a mess) with luggage looking for someone that is waiting for them inside :-)

This was my second time taking this trip (we were on the October adult only trip) and I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. It was my Mom's first ABD and she loved it and can't wait to do another one.

One thing I would mention for those of you on upcoming trips- the handbook tells you to meet your driver in the median of the arrivals area and to look for the ABD sign. This is not correct- your driver will be at baggage claim with your name on a sign. The driver will also have your phone number and will text you with this information. Unfortunately, for our trip- the driver only had my Mom's number. We arrived on separate flights, and even though ABD had both of our numbers, they only gave my Mom's number to the transportation company. They did text her with my driver's info, and where he would be, but she was in flight so she couldn't forward to me.

I just want to mention this as I know it's been an issue for a few people and hate to have people walking around the median of LAX (which is a mess) with luggage looking for someone that is waiting for them inside :-)

This was my second time taking this trip (we were on the October adult only trip) and I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. It was my Mom's first ABD and she loved it and can't wait to do another one.
I do want to say that at least for me, the driver at LAX was waiting at the median, and did not come inside on my last trip. He did text me (or possibly the company he worked for) information as to how to locate him, so it was pretty easy to do so and it was not stressful. so at least for me, it followed the guidebook instructions.

I do have to note that I did come a day early and had a pre-night at the Lowes, so that may have had something to do with it.

My guess is that it depends on what service they happen to use as to whether they greet you at baggage claim or not.

This is my first ABD trip, so I don’t really have any basis for comparison, so hopefully I won’t be disappointed by anything.
In my opinion, it's the best way to see Disneyland. You get the right combination where you see cool things behind the scenes and reserved events, but also have enough free time to get on the attractions and eat where you want to.

In my opinion, it's the best way to see Disneyland. You get the right combination where you see cool things behind the scenes and reserved events, but also have enough free time to get on the attractions and eat where you want to.
We’ve been to Disneyland many times, so we‘re really looking forward to doing these special things to do, but also to have the time to go off and do our own things. It will be over 4 years since were last there, pre-pandemic, so it will be fun even just to see the new stuff to us like Avengers Campus and Sanfransokyo.

We’ve been to Disneyland many times, so we‘re really looking forward to doing these special things to do, but also to have the time to go off and do our own things. It will be over 4 years since were last there, pre-pandemic, so it will be fun even just to see the new stuff to us like Avengers Campus and Sanfransokyo.
My two trips were only the third and fourth visits, so I was definitely happy with the free time and lightning lanes.

I do want to say that at least for me, the driver at LAX was waiting at the median, and did not come inside on my last trip. He did text me (or possibly the company he worked for) information as to how to locate him, so it was pretty easy to do so and it was not stressful. so at least for me, it followed the guidebook instructions.

I do have to note that I did come a day early and had a pre-night at the Lowes, so that may have had something to do with it.

My guess is that it depends on what service they happen to use as to whether they greet you at baggage claim or not.
That's good info- thanks for sharing. My driver told me thet Disney instructs them to always come inside which led me to ask the question of why they would indicate to meet in the median (with an ABD sign). I asked my guides at check in about it and they too thought it was weird since they always have heard of the drivers being inside at baggage claim.

It isn't a big deal as long as they have accurate contact information for you and can reach you without incident to let you know. It just needs to be consistent. Perhaps they should state they may meet you inside or at the median but to be on the lookout for the driver to contact you with accurate pick up information. That was really my only complaint (and minor at that) :-)

The refrigerators in the rooms at the Loews and the Grand Californian, do they have freezers? I have issues with my hip and will need to ice it each day. I‘m trying to figure out whether i can bring my reusable pack or if I should buy the instant ones that you can activate that don’t need to be frozen. Thanks.

We’ve booked this trip for Sept 24. We can’t wait! How likely is it that we’ll receive complimentary Oogie Boogie Bash tickets (if the dates line up). It’s our first time to Disneyland and we’ve heard of others being lucky with this during their trip. We’re considering a pre/post night stay as well, since we’re travelling internationally, so we could try for tickets then.

We’ve booked this trip for Sept 24. We can’t wait! How likely is it that we’ll receive complimentary Oogie Boogie Bash tickets (if the dates line up). It’s our first time to Disneyland and we’ve heard of others being lucky with this during their trip. We’re considering a pre/post night stay as well, since we’re travelling internationally, so we could try for tickets then.
I think you'll definitely need a pre-night for your flight. I'd also recommend a post-night just so you get another full day in the parks, since your tickets are already paid for.

I think you'll definitely need a pre-night for your flight. I'd also recommend a post-night just so you get another full day in the parks, since your tickets are already paid for.
Really good advice! Also, about the start of the trip, be sure you get plenty of rest that pre-night. You'll be going almost non-stop from morning to night for the rest of the trip.

The refrigerators in the rooms at the Loews and the Grand Californian, do they have freezers? I have issues with my hip and will need to ice it each day. I‘m trying to figure out whether i can bring my reusable pack or if I should buy the instant ones that you can activate that don’t need to be frozen. Thanks.
Can’t speak to Lowe’s, but in the Grand Cal regular hotel rooms, the refrigerators do not have freezers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter