• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spring Surprise (March 31-April 3rd 2022)

Can we trust these are the actual routes? I still haven’t gotten an email from runDisney.
It seems unlikely that these wouldn't be the actual routes, given that the images look like they were designed for publication, and were found on the now-password-protected site where we'd ultimately expect them to be.

Can we trust these are the actual routes? I still haven’t gotten an email from runDisney.
I would say, there’s a pretty good chance that these are correct, but so far the link to the guide hasn’t posted to the runDisney page or been announced by blog Disney.

I REALLY hope the HS portion of the 10-miler goes smoothly. The marathon course through HS has been kind of sad since they did away with the disco tunnel. It felt like you cut a corner, just to say you were there.

Even if it isn't this route (reversed), I'm hoping it allows them to add more of the park into the race.

Haven't posted in awhile... prob because of no races but I'm back at this race and I'm sooo excited. Is this the first race to run through SWGE?

If this is the ToT 10 miler, but we start and end at Epcot, can I just hope they have the ride open for a quick jaunt to make the race name relevant?

Side note - I tweaked my calf during a speed workout last week. I got through my 10 mile long run yesterday, but it really hurt after 3 miles. Ironically, when I tripped and should have eaten concrete it did something and took away the pain for the rest of the run. It hurt walking around the rest of the day though. I have a PT appointment for Friday. So much for making this my hard week.

Well now I’m jealous, that run through HS is what I wanted going back to the 2020 Rival Run.

Yeah I specifically signed up for my first challenge for Star Wars 2020 because I was hoping one of the two (10K or half) would go through Galaxy's Edge. :(

I do really like these courses. I am a little worried for mid to back corrals for the section between Epcot and HS. The original SW half had a big pinch point around entering that path that I think caused a lot of people to have to walk because there was absolutely no room to run. It came early in the course, and then the next year, I think they switched directions and then they switched to starting at MK, so that area would come later in the course. Here’s a zoomed in portion of that first half showing that the path was around mile 2.5-3 - maybe the 10-miler is a little later, but pretty close to the same.
View attachment 654185

Given that they're back to 4 runs a year and that it looks like at least one run each weekend is along that walking path between Boardwalk and DHS they should just throw some construction money at it and widen the thing IMO. :)

Haven't posted in awhile... prob because of no races but I'm back at this race and I'm sooo excited. Is this the first race to run through SWGE?

Yep. The last races before the shutdown were when Galaxy's Edge was brand new and DHS was opening pre-dawn for people to get in. We were speculating in the Star Wars 2020 thread here in the forum about if the race would go through, but of course we never got to see if that would happen.

I would have thought that the Tower of Terror Ten Miler would have either started or ended in front of the Tower of Terror.

There is nowhere to stage a majority of the race participants at once in a park area, even using backstage space. And no easy way to get all the buses in and out efficiently. That's why all the start and finish lines are in parking lots.

I would have thought that the Tower of Terror Ten Miler would have either started or ended in front of the Tower of Terror.
My guess is that the logistics don’t work at this point, hard to have a race that starts or ends at HS and also deal with the crowds coming in for the HS opening. I think that’s why they’re putting the HS portion in the first half as opposed to the second: they could easily go the reverse way, which would help with the aforementioned logjam between Epcot and HS, but I think they really want people to get past HS well before opening, so they can clear everything out.

My guess is that the logistics don’t work at this point, hard to have a race that starts or ends at HS and also deal with the crowds coming in for the HS opening.
Yep, exactly.

For those new to it, TOT 1-Miler the night race did finish in the shadow of TOT... but the park was closed to the public at that point and was open a couple more hours for race participants for the after-party. Even without a SW:GE in the mix, there was no way to do a morning race and have it finish in the park.

I expect there will be a nice photo opp - maybe even 2 or 3! - with TOT and that'll be about the extent of TOT's participation in this race. Though we might also see some theming with lights/music/giant video screens on the highway.

Well, shoot: this TOT course is really putting a wrinkle in my costume plan! I was going to roll with the TOT theme and got the parts for a Sally Shine (the little girl in the pre-show video), outfit figuring on a fun pic with TOT... but SW was my favorite of all rD race themes and if we're finally going to run through Batuu, I'd love to resurrect my favorite of my SW race costumes for some pics there. Gah!! What to do??? I'm leaning SW...

Well, shoot: this TOT course is really putting a wrinkle in my costume plan! I was going to roll with the TOT theme and got the parts for a Sally Shine (the little girl in the pre-show video), outfit figuring on a fun pic with TOT... but SW was my favorite of all rD race themes and if we're finally going to run through Batuu, I'd love to resurrect my favorite of my SW race costumes for some pics there. Gah!! What to do??? I'm leaning SW...
I would save SW for another year, you’ve got to figure they’ll do SW races for a future Springtime Surprise weekend.

I would save SW for another year, you’ve got to figure they’ll do SW races for a future Springtime Surprise weekend.
I would not be surprised if 2023 in fact ends up Star Wars just based on all the comments on various social media complaining about it being replaced

Keep looking at these maps and I’m not sure they could have done better. I know it’s not in the spirit of Springtime Surprise but… can they just roll with these every year?
My only request would have been to essentially reverse the 10 miler. Get all those road miles out of the way early, then have the fun in the second half. And it would allow more room to spread before the path from HS to Epcot. But I'm sure it has to do with getting the park ready to open. I do love these courses though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter