Springtime Surprise Weekend (April 13-16, 2023)

Here my story: I registered for the 10k and 10 mile bc that was always my plan. Then I got fomo and wished I did the challenge. So I emailed runD and asked if I can switch, not expecting much. I got an email at 10:55 saying there’s an option now on the website when you’re in your registration page, there’s a button on the bottom right corner for “edit registration” and you can switch your registration to any other open race. But since I can only do this on one registration and I had two, I emailed to ask if they will refund my other race. They wrote back in 10 min and said yes! So now I’m in for the challenge! Also a solo weekend for me and will be a great way to end my season of doing every runD weekend in 2022-2023! Now here’s to not getting injured!

Last edited:
for the Passholder merch bundle, do they actually allow you to collect if you are not an AP. just DVC ?

Passholder merch is for AP holders only. DVC does not equal Passholder. And yes, they will ask to see your pass (or proof of such in your app). Worst case scenario if you don't have an AP when you go to pick up your merch, they won't give it to you and (I would assume) you'll get a refund.

Over an hour since registration began and only the 5K is sold out. Is this due to an increase in the size of the field, or maybe a bit less interest in this weekend?

I know for me personally, the thought of running in Florida in April is not terribly appealing. It also doesn't help that all 3 races appear to be the usual courses through Epcot (the night 5k lasted all of one year, for example).

Here my story: I registered for the 10k and 10 mile bc that was always my plan. Then I got fomo and wished I did the challenge. So I emailed runD and asked if I can switch, not expecting much. I got an email at 10:55 saying there’s an option now on the website when you’re in your registration page, there’s a button on the bottom right corner for “edit registration” and you can switch your registration to any other open race. But since I can only do this on one registration and I had two, I emailed to ask if they will refund my other race. They wrote back in 10 min and said yes! So now I’m in for thE challenge! Also a solo weekend for me and will be a great way to end my season of doing every runD weekend in 2022-2023! Now here’s to not getting injured!
Refund from Run Disney, amazing!

Agreed. After the last Star Wars weekend, I vowed never to do anything longer than a 10K in Florida in April!
I know that if I didn’t live where the conditions are pretty much similar I wouldn’t be doing the challenge myself. I know I can train easily (not happily though lol) for the conditions because it’s what I have to train in outside, otherwise I think I would die.

Yes, but it's been that way for years. But of course, we are talking Disney IT, so maybe they just now figured out that they already have that info and don't need to ask.

I'm not sure one ever knows what their purpose is! LOL

The last registration I did was for the upcoming Wine and Dine, so I missed marathon and princess. Just wondered if it existed during those registrations?
It was on the Princess registration.

Well I was surprised to look just now & see only the 5k sold out. Even yoga is still open. Either Disney has priced people out of their races or this theme/race locations wasn't as popular as they thought it would be.

I think the sales of Marathon Weekend, Princess and Wine & Dine have shown they aren't off on their price point. Star Wars didn't sell well for this time frame, though, after its inaugural year, so I think the open question has been whether timing or theming was the issue. Last year drew well because it was an inaugural year and had novel, nostalgic races. This year's slowing of sales after a return to a more cookie-cutter style weekend with a run of the mill theme has to be sounding alarm bells. They may need to either commit to the extra time and effort for continual innovation or consider cutting the weekend altogether.

All that being said, let's keep in mind that instant sell-outs aren't necessary. If they get slow, steady registrations that eventually sell out the weekend, that's probably fine with them. We also don't know what % of a sell-out they need to consider the weekend a success.

I think the sales of Marathon Weekend, Princess and Wine & Dine have shown they aren't off on their price point. Star Wars didn't sell well for this time frame, though, after its inaugural year, so I think the open question has been whether timing or theming was the issue. Last year drew well because it was an inaugural year and had novel, nostalgic races. This year's slowing of sales after a return to a more cookie-cutter style weekend with a run of the mill theme has to be sounding alarm bells. They may need to either commit to the extra time and effort for continual innovation or consider cutting the weekend altogether.

All that being said, let's keep in mind that instant sell-outs aren't necessary. If they get slow, steady registrations that eventually sell out the weekend, that's probably fine with them. We also don't know what % of a sell-out they need to consider the weekend a success.
I would honestly prefer a slow steady sellout. Even better if it's really only 95% or so full. Enough to be a success but leaves some room for last minute additions.

I decided to do the yoga too. It will help me fall asleep earlier on Thursday night if I have to wake up super early, and there’s nothing else to do, so I might as well go do yoga in Hollywood Studios.

Before my time in 2016
I used to stalk the site hoping I could get a vacation in and run, but life never worked out for those extra weekends until 2020. But I would watch as it got fuller and fuller and hope I managed to make it work before it sold out. Makes me so thankful for things finally changing (kids getting older, making more money, etc) and getting to do RunDisney now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter