• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR Renovations

we got moved from AoA to a SS 2 bedroom. I'm not all that familiar with SS, other than hearing how large it is. We are walkers, we don't mind walking and would much prefer to walk than wait for a bus (even under normal circumstances, let alone currently). Will we be able to walk to DS from any location in SS, or are some areas just too far to do that practically? Honestly I never had interest in SS, but being able to walk to DS at least gives it that benefit, so I would hate to not be able to.

What should I request? We are standard, our updated reservation doesn't say preferred. I had been hoping for a renovated room, but it seems like that isn't even a possibility, correct? So what are some good locations to hope for - is there somewhere that is decently easily walkable to both the main pool/mug refills/gift shop and also DS? I think that would be my ideal - I love walking up to browse the gift shop of get a diet coke refill (although if we go this trip may end up a little different), but don't want to be unwalkable to DS as that's the only draw of the resort to me.

TIA, it is kind of exciting learning about a new resort and since we recently bought into DVC I assume we'll end up staying here again at some point in the future.
It is a nice walk from any part of SSR to DS. If you are used to walking around the parks you will be fine.

Whole bunch of fresh permits were filed for this project today:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/permits-2020.962646/page-5#post-9346740

None of that appears related to refurbishment work. It's networking cabinets for each building. Maybe something related to the interactive TV that's appeared at resorts like Riviera. There are permits for nearly all SSR buildings (one Carousel is missing), including the Congress Park units which have completed interior refurb.

Any ideas what building they might work on after Springs? Planning to go in December (hopefully! still watching and waiting).

Are they still working on the refurb at SSR? Since this is paid for my member's dues, it shouldn't be cancelled, right?

Are they still working on the refurb at SSR? Since this is paid for my member's dues, it shouldn't be cancelled, right?
They are still working. I believe it resumed when the resort reopened. I wish they had continued working through the shut down though because now they’re even further behind.

They are still working. I believe it resumed when the resort reopened. I wish they had continued working through the shut down though because now they’re even further behind.
People have reported seeing work vehicles and materials, but it struck me the other day that I haven't actually seen any reports of workers. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has seen differently.

People have reported seeing work vehicles and materials, but it struck me the other day that I haven't actually seen any reports of workers. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has seen differently.
I swear I saw someone on Facebook comment that they were but perhaps they just saw those things and assumed? I’m not there until September so hopefully someone can confirm sooner than that.

If most of the work is to the interiors and furnishings, would you necessarily see workers out and about all the time?

We are standard, our updated reservation doesn't say preferred. I had been hoping for a renovated room, but it seems like that isn't even a possibility, correct? So what are some good locations to hope for - is there somewhere that is decently easily walkable to both the main pool/mug refills/gift shop and also DS?
When I have a Standard reservation, I usually ask for "near pool, upper floor." There are two pools in the Standard section of the resort. One is the "second" feature pool in the middle of Paddock---while it is not technically the main pool, it does have a slide and a splash zone, and is quite nice. It has a CS location and a mug refill station. It is also next to the bridge over the long skinny lake between Paddock and Springs, cutting down the walk from those buildings to the main resort area. Finally, the Paddock bus stop is right outside the pool.

The other Standard-section pool is the Grandstand pool. It's not as plush as either feature pool, but has a nice splash zone. It's also a very short walk to the main resort buildings from that pool. There is a small pool bar here, but I don't think it is open now. I'm not sure if there is a mug refill station there or not.

So being close to *either* pool means you are a reasonable walk to the main resort area. Disney Springs isn't a terrible walk from either of those places---I've done it a few times. There is also a boat, though I am not sure if it is running during These Covid Times.

You mention that you are walkers. I think this resort's walking paths are second only to the paths between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness in the DVC portfolio. The way the resort is set up, most walking paths are away from the roads/parking lots, and the landscaping has grown in nicely in the ~15 years since it was built. For me, the resort coneys a sense of understated elegance in a way that some of the others don't quite manage.

You mention that you are walkers. I think this resort's walking paths are second only to the paths between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness in the DVC portfolio. The way the resort is set up, most walking paths are away from the roads/parking lots, and the landscaping has grown in nicely in the ~15 years since it was built. For me, the resort coneys a sense of understated elegance in a way that some of the others don't quite manage.

At this point it's second to none because the walking path between WL and FW was shut down when they began Reflections construction.

The first time I drove into SSR I recognized it was going to be a beautiful resort once the landscaping grew. There's a lot of it but it takes time when you start with such immature landscape. It's doing quite well now.

When I have a Standard reservation, I usually ask for "near pool, upper floor." There are two pools in the Standard section of the resort. One is the "second" feature pool in the middle of Paddock---while it is not technically the main pool, it does have a slide and a splash zone, and is quite nice. It has a CS location and a mug refill station. It is also next to the bridge over the long skinny lake between Paddock and Springs, cutting down the walk from those buildings to the main resort area. Finally, the Paddock bus stop is right outside the pool.

The other Standard-section pool is the Grandstand pool. It's not as plush as either feature pool, but has a nice splash zone. It's also a very short walk to the main resort buildings from that pool. There is a small pool bar here, but I don't think it is open now. I'm not sure if there is a mug refill station there or not.

So being close to *either* pool means you are a reasonable walk to the main resort area. Disney Springs isn't a terrible walk from either of those places---I've done it a few times. There is also a boat, though I am not sure if it is running during These Covid Times.

Thanks! Unfortunately I just took apart out August trip yesterday :sad: , we couldn't in good conscious travel to Florida from PA in the middle of all of this (and the state and our employer made that decision easy by requiring a 2 week quarantine upon return). I did tentatively move the trip to November (I kind of doubt that trip will end up happening either), but we went back to AOA since we also lost the price protection we had gotten when we were moved the first time. I'm sure we will get to try SS at some point in the future, since we recently bought DVC, so I will remember your great advice!

The first time I drove into SSR I recognized it was going to be a beautiful resort once the landscaping grew. There's a lot of it but it takes time when you start with such immature landscape. It's doing quite well now.
I'll admit I thought it was too much of a moonscape at first, and didn't immediately appreciate how nice it would turn out once things grew in.

I swear I saw someone on Facebook comment that they were but perhaps they just saw those things and assumed? I’m not there until September so hopefully someone can confirm sooner than that.
Workers were definitely there and busy when we stayed in June, second week after re-opening. I just posted a vid on the FB page, DVC Disney Vacation Club, if interested.

I’ve seen several vlogs showing the studio refurbs. I’m wondering why the table and chairs were removed and not replaced. The new coffee table is t a great place to eat.

I’ve seen several vlogs showing the studio refurbs. I’m wondering why the table and chairs were removed and not replaced. The new coffee table is t a great place to eat.

We loved the new studio without the table and chairs. It made the room seem so much bigger. We don't usually eat a lot in the room though. We did use the new coffee table once and it was fine for two people to eat on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter