SSR Size

briarwolf

Straight on till dawn
Hello All::banana:
My DW and I are looking at buying at SSR. I love the theme there, but had read somewhere else that it is just too big to get from one end to the other. Any thoughts or comments about that?

SSR is certainly a big sprawling resort. We found that the way the resort is laid out made our stay very relaxing and enjoyable. I believe that when the newest section is complete that SSR will have well over 1,000 units. Even with a near "full house" as we had on our recent trip the resort did not seem crowded at all. If you are ok with 8-12 minute leasurely walks, you should not have any trouble walking around SSR.

Scott

SSR and OKW are the community style DVC resorts. VWL, BWV and BCV are the hotel style. We like the community style best. But we will still stay at the hotel style every once in a while.

My DW and I are looking at buying at SSR. I love the theme there, but had read somewhere else that it is just too big to get from one end to the other. Any thoughts or comments about that?

IMHO, the real concern is not distance from one end of a resort to the other, but distance to community areas, bus-stops, and parking. With SSR, if you plan to use the path or boat to DTD, proximity to that area will also be an issue.

I'd LOVE to chime in on this! Before buying into SSR we had the same reservations about the complaints re: size. The map echoes that, as the resort looks like it sprawls across a huge area.

I started a thread several months before purchasing and asked how it compared to communities on Kiawah Island, or even Hilton Head. I was told it was very similar. It's not like a hotel (as someone contrasted above) where everything is on top of one another or just down a small corridor or out an adjacent set of doors. It's definitely more spread out than that, but I was told it was never more than a 10-15 minute stroll.

Those people weren't kidding, and I think they were exaggerating so as to cover their butts. ;) When we checked in and were told we were in The Paddock, I was bummed. The Paddock is forever away from everything, I whined as I pointed it out on the map to my DH.

It took us significantly under 10 minutes to walk from our room on the second floor of a middle paddock building to the carriage house/artist's palate, turf club, etc. Which is farther away than the main pool. And even farther past the farthest bus stop.

It took us ~5 minutes to walk to the bus stop at Congress Park before the half marathon.

In the first afternoon of our short trip, we realized that we completely knew our way around the resort and that it really was nowhere NEAR as big as anyone had made it seem.

That being said, it IS a 5-10 minute walk (hey, we all walk at different paces!) to anywhere. You can't just "pop down to the lobby" and grab a soda, a swim, etc.

To each their own, but I often prefer this set-up. If one were so inclined, you could stay there a week, have plenty to do, and never know you were anywhere that was remotely "bustling". :)

Hope that helps! We loved it, and we also love the hotel-style properties. It really just depends on what you are going for, but don't let the complaints worry you! :goodvibes

As with everything in life size IS an issue.

I simply wouldn't recommend SSR for a family with small kids. Getting from the room to the public areas can be a chore with kiddies in tow. This would be less of an issue for an adults only trip or for those with older kids. OKW shares similiar concerns.

Personally I feel DVD way over built SSR. It should have been no larger than the largest DVC Resort at the time, OKW. This would have kept a balance to the DVC system. The size is going to create other serious isues as the resort builds out to completion. That could be another thread.

You could always request an area near the main pool and dining areas. Give it a try and see for yourself.

I simply wouldn't recommend SSR for a family with small kids. Getting from the room to the public areas can be a chore with kiddies in tow. This would be less of an issue for an adults only trip or for those with older kids. OKW shares similiar concerns.

Personally I feel DVD way over built SSR. It should have been no larger than the largest DVC Resort at the time, OKW. This would have kept a balance to the DVC system. The size is going to create other serious isues as the resort builds out to completion. That could be another thread.

You could always request an area near the main pool and dining areas. Give it a try and see for yourself.

Oh, it is several other threads! :rotfl:

Certainly, OP trying it out for your family would be the best thing, if that is an option!

We too, were a bit concerned about the size of SSR (our 1st stay was on rental points at BCV), but after a great vacation in Dec at SSR, we love it! It really is a "resort", and not a hotel-type property. The walking around the grounds was a plus to us. I also sent you a PM with some information.

Bob

I simply wouldn't recommend SSR for a family with small kids. Getting from the room to the public areas can be a chore with kiddies in tow. QUOTE]

If that is an issue with you, don't even bother going to Disney period.

Compared to walking around the Parks or Just from the bus drop-off to the ticket turnstiles, the walking around SSR is a breeze. Probably the best DVC resort with the least amount of walking is VWL. All of the rest require alot of walking.

It is large, is it unmanageable, certainly not. Not anymore than walking anywhere at Disney and in order to enjoy WDW, you must walk, or stroller, or scooter, etc.

There is no location that far from a bus stop and hence you are not far from anything. The buses all circulate throughout the entire property, therefore you can ride a bus to anywhere you need to go if you prefer not to walk.

Certainly certain buildings are closer to specific things such as the main building, main pool, Downtown Disney. However that is also true of the hotel resorts such as BW. Not every room at the BW is close to everything by a long shot.

If you dislike walking outside once you get to your resort, then I would not recommend OKW or SSR. However if it is only the actual distance you are concerned about, I would not worry.

Oh-I totally disagree!! no disrespect...but for us, having the openess was a real great thing with kids because walking to the busstops you were never in someones way in the lobby or dealing with all the people in general that are in the main areas of the other resorts like BWV. Now, don't get me wrong..I love BWV so much!! but-as far as SS being bad for people with kids...as a person with young children I have to say it was wonderful for us.:goodvibes

I am still perplexed by those who claim SSR is such a large resort. One of our esteemed DVC DISers (Caskbill or WillCAD) did the GPS mapping of SSR -- the walk from the farthest building in Congress Park to High Rock Springs Pool is 0.25 miles. Let's compare that to walking from Building 39 at OKW to the main pool is 0.69 miles (distance from mapping on Google Earth).

I have stayed at SSR twice with small children in tow. DD has never complained about the distance from our room in Congress Park to High Rock Springs Pool. Perhaps it's the Mickey Bar she is usually eating while on that walk, but no complaints at all.

Boy I'm the king of harsh at times bu this one takes the cake.

My point is simply that there is a lot of walking at SSR. After long days in the parks some parents with small children MIGHT not want to extra lugging and hauling. Some MIGHT not care.

SSR is a fine resort and in fact that is where I own. This post is about the size of SSR and IMO it is too big.

Boy I'm the king of harsh at times bu this one takes the cake.

My point is simply that there is a lot of walking at SSR. After long days in the parks some parents with small children MIGHT not want to extra lugging and hauling. Some MIGHT not care.

SSR is a fine resort and in fact that is where I own. This post is about the size of SSR and IMO it is too big.

Walking to and from where? The bus stops are very convient throughout the resort. Lets compare to Boardwalk Villas, which has only one stop. If your room is at the end of "the Corridor", its not very "haul" freindly. It seems to me the walks from the bus stops at SSR are some of the shortest to the rooms, on average.

The SSR Resort amenities are all centrally located. Obviously you have either not been to the other resorts and walked the halls or just another over exageration of the size of SSR. Its Big, but laid out very well. Some walks are longer, some shorter.....but none of the resorts have a huge edge over the rest, except VWL. But even at VWL you have to go to Wilderness Lodge to eat.

Walking to and from where? The bus stops are very convient throughout the resort. Lets compare to Boardwalk Villas, which has only one stop. If your room is at the end of "the Corridor", its not very "haul" freindly. It seems to me the walks from the bus stops at SSR are some of the shortest to the rooms, on average.

The SSR Resort amenities are all centrally located. Obviously you have either not been to the other resorts and walked the halls or just another over exageration of the size of SSR. Its Big, but laid out very well. Some walks are longer, some shorter.....but none of the resorts have a huge edge over the rest, except VWL. But even at VWL you have to go to Wilderness Lodge to eat.

You see this is what makes the world go round, different opinions.

SSR is about 200 units too large IMO. Take away that number of units and we'd be on to the next DVC Resort and SSR would be much more user friendly. It is just one man's opinion no need to get riled up over it. Pool is also going to prove too small as well. Not enough seating either. (another thread, I know)

Also, I'm talking about traveling around on resort days. Don't care how long the hallways are at BWV. I get on that elevator, ride in down, get out and a short walk, I'm sitting poolside. Even shorter to get to the gym. SSR has some loooooong walks to the main areas. I'm sure some will dispute that too.

I like SSR, I really do, but I'm realistic enough to see that DVC overbuilt and that the resort is spread out.

Since the new Villas Animal Kingdom Lodge is going to be a "Big" resort, might as well start trashing its size. HOw much walking it will be. How inconvient the bus stops are to the resort. And ............ "Hey, whats that smell?"

Complaining about walking in Disney is like complaing the sun is hot in the desert or the pool is too wet.

You always hear about kids running up and down the corridors at BCV and BWV. Too noisy for the guests. But at SSR and OKW, the kids can get the running out outside. And use those outside voices.

Each section has its own pool. I think the Congress Park pool is very nice. So you don't have to head to the main pool every time you want to swim.

We love the resort. We have been members for just over a year. We have added points on twice. We just got back from a trip on Wednesday and we still love it. We have a DS 2 and DS 7 and we walked to DTD many times with no problem. Getting around the resort has never been a problem for us either. If you don't mind walking for a few min. 5-10 it will never be a problem for you. On our last trip we were in the Paddock builiding closest to the Congress Park bus stop. Both kids walked to the bus stop and the main building many times and enjoyed each trip, looking at the ducks or swans. Hope this helps.

I'm out in the Carousel right now, and let me say, the Paddock never looked so conveniently located! :lmao: I would say that these brand new buildings are probably the most remote location, but the walk to and from the main areas is really lovely, and indeed, about 10 minutes. My kids actually RAN a lot of the way to get to the pool tonight. I think that if there were a close quiet pool out here, we'd actually be fully satisfied even so. It feels like a small town - I would love to be able to walk 10 minutes each way to the store at home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter