Star Wars Hotel Price - Disney has officially lost their minds

This is an interesting point. Even on a cruise ship, which I see this experience often compared to, you get the outside and also the wonder of the ocean to ease your mind. I guess this is just a gamble on Disney’s part. I don’t dislike seeing them take some chances, it’s just that I think they proceeded with Star Wars because everyone assumed it was a can’t miss. I just don’t think that assumption is correct.

The bigger issue is circadian rhythms and how tied to sunlight those are. Artificial light isn't the same thing. People are going to feel weird in this hotel. Not to mention, possible motion sickness issues if you are "moving through space" but the building isn't actually moving.

The bigger issue is circadian rhythms and how tied to sunlight those are. Artificial light isn't the same thing. People are going to feel weird in this hotel. Not to mention, possible motion sickness issues if you are "moving through space" but the building isn't actually moving.

Motion sickness is actually my biggest concern. I think the whole thing will be very disorienting.

For a once in a lifetime special milestone I might consider splurging. However it would really really really be a tough pill to swallow at that price.

I'd bet anything that there will be some kind of "artificial daylight" lounge or gym that really isn't. After all, why spend to install artificial daylight when you can use skylights to provide the real thing? If they use angled tubes they can block a direct view of the sky itself, preserving the illusion, but allowing a little restorative exposure to daylight for those who want it.

FWIW, I believe that a fair percentage of the visitors who will do this may be serious gamers, who often have adapted a bit to dealing with prolonged indoor darkness.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to plunk down $3k for my family of 4 for 3 days, 2 nights at that Star Wars hotel. But $7000? now way.

I do not think that Disney has lost it's mind, but I know I have not either. I would not save for this experience, and even if I did, I would not be able to press the button and actually pay it, but I do see why others would.

I do not have the mindset that any experience must be affordable for the majority of consumers, so i don't see any problem if Disney tried to cater to a population of people who were willing and able to pay this kind of money for this kind of experience. I feel that there are folks who plunk down in excess of $1000 for a V&A meal and wine pairing for their family, and that lasts what? 4 Hours? This is kind of the same thing. A very expensive indulgence that is worth it for those who can justify the funds.

I'd bet anything that there will be some kind of "artificial daylight" lounge or gym that really isn't. After all, why spend to install artificial daylight when you can use skylights to provide the real thing? If they use angled tubes they can block a direct view of the sky itself, preserving the illusion, but allowing a little restorative exposure to daylight for those who want it.

FWIW, I believe that a fair percentage of the visitors who will do this may be serious gamers, who often have adapted a bit to dealing with prolonged indoor darkness.
I was thinking along the same lines. I bet the “ship” will have some kind of atrium or “simulated earth environment” on board.

As far as the price, it’s too rich for my blood. To justify that expense, it would need to be something right up my alley that I absolutely had my heart set on and, well, Star Wars isn’t that.

As several posters have said, I would never deny those who can afford it their chance to indulge. For me it’s not the price, it’s that I’m not a Star Wars fan. I’d rather spend my money on a week at the Boardwalk Inn, club level with a lake view. To each his own...

Disney can ask what they want, they cannot force people to pay it. If you aren't happy with the prices then complain with your pocket. That advice goes to anyone complaining about how much Disney costs, going to Disney is not compulsory, it's a luxury, just like all vacations are.

We're big SW fans, but this is definitely not something we'd consider doing, cool as it may be.

I think you have to not think of it as "a hotel" to justify the price. It would have to be a situation where this is all you were doing, IMO. You would just be doing this experience, not staying here and going to the parks like you would if you were staying at a regular hotel.

I told my husband about this yesterday. ..... He brought up a good point, that it will be like being on a submarine. ....

Curious, was your husband a submariner?

As a Navy Submarine Vet (MM1/SS; SSBN 656, SSBN 626) who has spent 2 1/2 years of my life under the water, with up to 3 months submerged at a time, I can guarantee you that unless they throw in field days, sliders, mid-rats, hot-racking, angles and dangles, SCRAM/Flooding/Fire drills, half-way night antics, authentic submarine smells, non-Hollywood showers, family grams and obnoxious Chiefs, this will not be anywhere close to a submarine experience. And for the record, my time on subs has had no effect on me what so ever - unless you consider being a Disney addict an effect!

There was an article recently that mentioned today's youth just isn't as interested in Star Wars as their parents are. Are there any 5 year olds out there begging their parents to go see Obi-Wan Kenobi? I doubt it.

I know several kids who are fairly obsessed with Star Wars (as in I've never had a conversation with them about any other topic).

That said, even if the parents are more interested than the kids are, I would think that would actually be beneficial for something like this. Since the adults are the ones paying, wouldn't they be more likely to splurge by taking their family to do something they will enjoy (that's not just for the kids)?

We’d be the ideal demographic and I thought I’d be saying “Disney take my money.” The more I hear about the experience the less interested I am. And again, my dh smokes and this seems like it’d be a nightmare for him to get his fix.

Curious, was your husband a submariner?

As a Navy Submarine Vet (MM1/SS; SSBN 656, SSBN 626) who has spent 2 1/2 years of my life under the water, with up to 3 months submerged at a time, I can guarantee you that unless they throw in field days, sliders, mid-rats, hot-racking, angles and dangles, SCRAM/Flooding/Fire drills, half-way night antics, authentic submarine smells, non-Hollywood showers, family grams and obnoxious Chiefs, this will not be anywhere close to a submarine experience. And for the record, my time on subs has had no effect on me what so ever - unless you consider being a Disney addict an effect!

No, he is a Marine. It was just the first thought that came to his mind.

Disney could not pay me to do this experience! It sounds like my worst nightmare as I'm not a SW fan, I don't like awkward role play games, and the idea of even pretending to be in outer space sounds claustrophobic. BUT I don't think the pricing stated is out of line for the right demographic. I'm assuming it is all inclusive including food, drinks, and "role play" with paid actors, and possibly private access to SWGE at certain times. This is an add on experience on top of your $$$ vacation, so really this is for the 1-2% or the nerdiest of nerds that would spend a chunk of their savings on it.

I love SW and have since I was a kid. It would definitely be something I would do ....

Except I can’t even get my husband to wear a somewhat matching family shirt. There’s no way on gods green earth he would Larp for 3 days or wear something other than his own clothes.

So far in this thread of back and forth, I've only seen one person say they would stay at this hotel. And the demographics of this site tend to be upper middle class and above. So that's not really awesome although it's a limited sample size. Perhaps I'll start a poll in the future once this news has sunk in a bit.

I don't mean this in an offensive way but saying "we're only talking about $7,000" makes you sound out of touch with the reality of most American households. While $7,000 isn't an obscene amount of money, I suspect most people could find a better use for it than a 3 day stay at a Star Wars hotel.

Again, I'm not saying the hotel will be completely empty. And I think it will be booked solid for the first few months for the novelty factor. I think it will take a nosedive after. And, yes, Disney can adjust prices if they need to but if they do, then that would prove that they missed the mark on the price point.
Dh and I went to japan for 3 weeks for less than $7000

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter