Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll post some deeper thoughts now, in the double spoiler tags:

The opening is frantic and keeps you on edge - it did a great job of setting the tone for the film which never lets off the gas. I think that worked here, but it was definitely jam-packed!

While it is true that this movie went back on a lot of the major beats from TLJ, I don't think it repudiated them so much as brought in a different perspective. Characters grow and change. Luke can admit he was wrong without it invalidating the previous story - I think we all knew that, just some of us could accept that Luke might be wrong. He only did something that is right out of the Jedi playbook anyway as self-exile seems to be the go-to for a massive failure. That massive failure is also completely understandable now that it is known that Papaltine was always pulling the strings.

And Palpatine - man oh man, do I love him! Not to root for of course, but he's is so fun to watch. Ian McDiarmind is so great with that amazing evil cackle. And Sidious is such a butt-kicker - he went all Bendu (see Rebels) on those ships! BOOM! He's never messing around. I kinda hoped he would drop a light saber out of his sleeve and go at Rey for a minute - though she really might not have survived that!

I was a little worried about how Lando would come off, but he was amazing! Wonderful. I also loved Zori Bliss (looks so cool) and Babu Frik. Is it just me or are Zori and Poe going to go, ahem, celebrate at the end there?

The story beats all worked for me, even Kylo Ren's redemption, which I wasn't sure I would like. Once I started to really see he and Rey as the Son & Daughter in the Force (see Ghosts of Mortis, Clone Wars) I started to get it. Also, Ben Solo and Kylo Ren are different people really, as with Anakin and Vader - It worked for me and I am good with his "happy ending" in which he had to die. I was almost scared they wouldn't do it as they lingered on the shot for a bit too long, but it worked out. I also like how Hux hates Kylo so much he'd turn traitor, but I wasn't sure why that other General was in charge. Did Hux get a demotion and that's why he was mad? I'd have liked to see that explored a little more, but there really wasn't room for it.

Speaking of Clone Wars/Rebels, I was totally losing it to hear Ashoka's and Kanan's voices - nice inclusion! And the fleet - I NEED a still so I can pick out ship classes - The Ghost was definitely there and maybe the Shadow Caster (or a ship just like it). Oh man, was this movie for the Star Wars super-nerds - BUT, I could understand where someone who is not one may feel a little lost in it. I really do. That's probably why the critic scores are so low. Still, I am very satisfied with how everything turned out.

I need to see it again (and I plan to). I am not sure that it will hold it's place above Episode I in my heart, but only because I was listening to Duel of the Fates this morning. I don't think this movie had a piece of music as strong as that one, and it is one of the reasons I love TPM so much. We'll have to see on the final rankings, but ROS is still going to be very high on the list.

I'll post some deeper thoughts now, in the double spoiler tags:

The opening is frantic and keeps you on edge - it did a great job of setting the tone for the film which never lets off the gas. I think that worked here, but it was definitely jam-packed!

While it is true that this movie went back on a lot of the major beats from TLJ, I don't think it repudiated them so much as brought in a different perspective. Characters grow and change. Luke can admit he was wrong without it invalidating the previous story - I think we all knew that, just some of us could accept that Luke might be wrong. He only did something that is right out of the Jedi playbook anyway as self-exile seems to be the go-to for a massive failure. That massive failure is also completely understandable now that it is known that Papaltine was always pulling the strings.

And Palpatine - man oh man, do I love him! Not to root for of course, but he's is so fun to watch. Ian McDiarmind is so great with that amazing evil cackle. And Sidious is such a butt-kicker - he went all Bendu (see Rebels) on those ships! BOOM! He's never messing around. I kinda hoped he would drop a light saber out of his sleeve and go at Rey for a minute - though she really might not have survived that!

I was a little worried about how Lando would come off, but he was amazing! Wonderful. I also loved Zori Bliss (looks so cool) and Babu Frik. Is it just me or are Zori and Poe going to go, ahem, celebrate at the end there?

The story beats all worked for me, even Kylo Ren's redemption, which I wasn't sure I would like. Once I started to really see he and Rey as the Son & Daughter in the Force (see Ghosts of Mortis, Clone Wars) I started to get it. Also, Ben Solo and Kylo Ren are different people really, as with Anakin and Vader - It worked for me and I am good with his "happy ending" in which he had to die. I was almost scared they wouldn't do it as they lingered on the shot for a bit too long, but it worked out. I also like how Hux hates Kylo so much he'd turn traitor, but I wasn't sure why that other General was in charge. Did Hux get a demotion and that's why he was mad? I'd have liked to see that explored a little more, but there really wasn't room for it.

Speaking of Clone Wars/Rebels, I was totally losing it to hear Ashoka's and Kanan's voices - nice inclusion! And the fleet - I NEED a still so I can pick out ship classes - The Ghost was definitely there and maybe the Shadow Caster (or a ship just like it). Oh man, was this movie for the Star Wars super-nerds - BUT, I could understand where someone who is not one may feel a little lost in it. I really do. That's probably why the critic scores are so low. Still, I am very satisfied with how everything turned out.

I need to see it again (and I plan to). I am not sure that it will hold it's place above Episode I in my heart, but only because I was listening to Duel of the Fates this morning. I don't think this movie had a piece of music as strong as that one, and it is one of the reasons I love TPM so much. We'll have to see on the final rankings, but ROS is still going to be very high on the list.

Hux cracks me up! There is a lot about his father in the Phasma book, but I'd like to see more of his backstory

my Ashoka-obsessed daughter completely lost it hearing her voice. We were hoping for a cameo but seeing that Rey is "all the Jedi" this was brilliant

I thoroughly appreciate all of your efforts to keep this thread spoiler free. That being said, not a lot of non spoiler substance at the moment. :rotfl:
Go see the movie already!!!! :D My non-spoilery review is that I loved the movie, and if this movie is being criticized for too much fan service, Star Wars can fan service me all night long baby! Loved it. Not really a spoiler but I have to ask:
How the heck does Rey keep her white outfit so pristine? Even those flowy bits that almost touch the ground! It was, like distracting to me already, I would find myself watching how she scrambles up a surface. Her knees never seem to make contact with the ground or a filthy surface of any kind. It was almost a relief at the end when she was all a mess. *Finally* she can relax about messing her outfit :cutie:

I thoroughly appreciate all of your efforts to keep this thread spoiler free. That being said, not a lot of non spoiler substance at the moment. :rotfl:
LOL..not much to discuss now, without letting something out of the bag

Go see the movie already!!!! :D My non-spoilery review is that I loved the movie, and if this movie is being criticized for too much fan service, Star Wars can fan service me all night long baby! Loved it. Not really a spoiler but I have to ask:
How the heck does Rey keep her white outfit so pristine? Even those flowy bits that almost touch the ground! It was, like distracting to me already, I would find myself watching how she scrambles up a surface. Her knees never seem to make contact with the ground or a filthy surface of any kind. It was almost a relief at the end when she was all a mess. *Finally* she can relax about messing her outfit :cutie:
Looking to go Saturday. Life of a hockey dad/coach barely allows times to sneak in a Mandolorian episode. Real, the struggle is. Also trying to not spoil too much of Galaxy's edge before our visit at the end of February.......and the end of hockey season.

It's made out of the same material that Padme's stark white outfit was made out of in Attack of the Clones. :P

Did I miss a resolution to Finn's interrupted revelation to Rey? You know,where he had something to tell her but didn't. Twice.

You know...I don't remember that either. Maybe it was just a look at the end or something, but no. I assume he was going to tell her he loves her.

You know...I don't remember that either. Maybe it was just a look at the end or something, but no. I assume he was going to tell her he loves her.

I asked this question last night driving home from movie. DH & DD say he was going to say he loved her. I'm glad they didn't explore that further.

I asked this question last night driving home from movie. DH & DD say he was going to say he loved her. I'm glad they didn't explore that further.

I sort of am glad they didn't explore it either. I do wonder how they would've handled it with the Rey/Ben thing that happened.

I sort of am glad they didn't explore it either. I do wonder how they would've handled it with the Rey/Ben thing that happened.
i was kinda gunning for a Rey:/finn relationship because I felt like the spark was there. And I really hate her kissing kylo, but I was kinda ok with the trio just having a platonic love for each other. Made it feel a little less cliche

Yeah I was hoping that would be resolved too! I was kind of hoping he'd say "I love you" and she'd say "I know" lol. I mean, she has the power to read minds right?

Thanks, all! Glad I didn't miss out on that.

i was kinda gunning for a Rey:/finn relationship because I felt like the spark was there. And I really hate her kissing kylo, but I was kinda ok with the trio just having a platonic love for each other. Made it feel a little less cliche
Oh I definitely wanted Rey & Ben to kiss, I'm pervy I guess but it felt so wrong I wanted to see it. And the "I love you/I know" would be unromantic on her part in my mind (she keeps telling him to stop taking her hand in Ep7 etc), and a nice/funny twist on the Leia/Han version.

I'll go spoiler free here XD

Caught my showing last night before my shift. Was bracing for the worst after I saw the critic score but I'm not seeing where they're getting it from. Solid popcorn movie, hits all the good notes. Maybe critics are still just hating on anything that doesn't spend two hours focusing on betraying viewer expectations. Honestly I feel like that attitude is ruining movies for those of us that want a fun journey with a familiar feel.

I really enjoyed this movie a lot! The one thing I can say that isn’t spoilery is that this one felt more like the tone of the original 3 and TFA...there were some ways that I wished there was a bit more connection to the TLJ...and in this way it made me wish that JJ Abrams directed all three. And I didn’t really have any issues with TLJ. Overall really great ending to the Skywalker story.

I really enjoyed this movie a lot! The one thing I can say that isn’t spoilery is that this one felt more like the tone of the original 3 and TFA...there were some ways that I wished there was a bit more connection to the TLJ...and in this way it made me wish that JJ Abrams directed all three. And I didn’t really have any issues with TLJ. Overall really great ending to the Skywalker story.

I felt like there was a lot of connections to TLJ - even ones that weren't trying to "course correct." For example:

The Holdo Maneuver
The Star Destroyers having the same style of weapon like they were using as a battering ram on Crait - only bigger!
The unheeded distress call is mentioned multiple times
Porgs!
The underwater X-Wing - Red 5!

There was more I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter