Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Anakin as the chosen one brings balance to the force by killing Palpatine. But if Palpatine didnā€™t actually die how is he the chosen one.
Well, some theorize that Anakin didn't bring balance to the force by killing Palaptine but rather by unseatin gthe Jedi. It's jsut something to think about. I think the real answer is that the force works in mysterious ways.

Last edited:
I guess Iā€™m in the minority. I thought it did well to wrap up the new trilogy, but this trilogy as a whole was severely disappointing. Way too many rehashes of stories from the OT. Bringing Palpatine back (and never mentioning him by his Sith name of Sidious) only because you couldnā€™t come up with a new ā€œbad guyā€ in 3 films.

Well, some tehorize that Anakin didn't bring balance to the force by killing Palaptine but rather by unseatin gthe Jedi. It's jsut something to think about. I think the real answer is that the force works in mysterious ways.
No Lucas is on record as saying Anakin brought balance to the force by killing Palpatine.

I guess Iā€™m in the minority. I thought it did well to wrap up the new trilogy, but this trilogy as a whole was severely disappointing. Way too many rehashes of stories from the OT. Bringing Palpatine back (and never mentioning him by his Sith name of Sidious) only because you couldnā€™t come up with a new ā€œbad guyā€ in 3 films.

I donā€™t see that as any different than the prequels. Palpatine was essentially the bad guy in those too. He was the one behind everything. I donā€™t think they needed a new over arching bad guy as this was always about the Skywalkers and the balance of the force with the biggest villain of all 9 films being Sheev since he was also behind Snoke.

Just saw it this evening. I really like it but still processing what I think! Are there any discussions on here were spoilers are not behind tags?

Just saw it this evening. I really like it but still processing what I think! Are there any discussions on here were spoilers are not behind tags?
If you just click the spoiler in a thread its content is revealed to you.

I donā€™t see that as any different than the prequels. Palpatine was essentially the bad guy in those too. He was the one behind everything. I donā€™t think they needed a new over arching bad guy as this was always about the Skywalkers and the balance of the force with the biggest villain of all 9 films being Sheev since he was also behind Snoke.
You donā€™t see the difference in a character being center stage for 3 films vs being introduced in the third film? He wasnā€™t part of the first 2 films, they brought him back because they exhausted the other options. And it really wound up not about the Skywalkers in the end. The end was all Palpatine vs Palpatine. Now I enjoyed him being back, but it wouldā€™ve been significantly better had this been planned and played out over multiple films rather than popping up in the conclusion. The same move didnā€™t work so well in Spectre either, it feels disingenuous.

You donā€™t see the difference in a character being center stage for 3 films vs being introduced in the third film? He wasnā€™t part of the first 2 films, they brought him back because they exhausted the other options. And it really wound up not about the Skywalkers in the end. The end was all Palpatine vs Palpatine. Now I enjoyed him being back, but it wouldā€™ve been significantly better had this been planned and played out over multiple films rather than popping up in the conclusion. The same move didnā€™t work so well in Spectre either, it feels disingenuous.
theres for sure a difference. But in fairness he also only really shows up in the last film in the OT. He is mentioned in passing in the first two and shows up briefly in empire, but doesnā€™t really affect the plot til Jedi.

Itā€™s definitely different in this trilogy because itā€™s difficult to tell if he was always planned to be in it or if Abrams shoehorned him in as a last second puppet master to the previous two films. I lean toward the latter, but I think him being around is interesting in how crazy the tech/sith magic must be to bring him back. (I donā€™t think itā€™s ever explicitly brought up how he did it, I think itā€™s his consciousness in a clone tbh).

Am I the 1st person to notice ...
Chewie finally got his medal !!! (call back to A New Hope)

I enjoyed it overall. There was definitely some mcguffin/ex machina/ plot flaws but I kinda was able to just see past it and accept it for what it is. I thought some of the twists and plot drivers were kinda meh (one reveal I particular I hated at first, but warmed up to a bit later). I can see why people say it seems like JJ crammed his ideas for the 8 and 9 movie into one film. Itā€™s a very fast paced, busy plot, and probably too busy. Iā€™m planning on seeing it again, and Iā€™m sure itā€™ll change my opinion a bit, but overall, it could have been a lot worse and I liked it

Pretty much how I felt as a summary brief review

Did anyone notice if Rey's Light Saber at the end was double bladed? Seemed like she just lit one side, and then got sidetracked?"]

I thought the same thing. It had a sort black Sith vibe and I though it was double bladed. But I guess we'll need to wait for future screen caps

I'll post some deeper thoughts now, in the double spoiler tags:
Speaking of Clone Wars/Rebels, I was totally losing it to hear Ashoka's and Kanan's voices - nice inclusion!

One of the highlights for me as well! I was really hoping for an Ashoka and Hera Syndulla live action cameo though

theres for sure a difference. But in fairness he also only really shows up in the last film in the OT. He is mentioned in passing in the first two and shows up briefly in empire, but doesnā€™t really affect the plot til Jedi.

Itā€™s definitely different in this trilogy because itā€™s difficult to tell if he was always planned to be in it or if Abrams shoehorned him in as a last second puppet master to the previous two films. I lean toward the latter, but I think him being around is interesting in how crazy the tech/sith magic must be to bring him back. (I donā€™t think itā€™s ever explicitly brought up how he did it, I think itā€™s his consciousness in a clone tbh).

In the original trilogy, we know thereā€™s more to the Empire than what we see in A New Hope. Vader and Tarkin are our focus but we know neither are in charge. We get intrigued about who could be bossing these two around. We get introduced to the Emperor directly in Empire, and he becomes a significant character in Jedi.
In the prequels, we watch Palpatine rise to power through manipulation of both sides of a war he runs. Three full films of him pulling strings in the shadows and taking control.
Both of those approaches worked well for the overarching story.

In the sequels, we get no mention of Palpatine prior to the final film, he gets reintroduced between films and then is meant to be the overarching villain for 9 films of story. Without so much as the suggestion of his presence in the prior 2, just feels odd. Plenty of fan theories ran there, but nothing in the films did. I just wish he was around more in some capacity, even to the lesser degrees of the original films, but unfortunately it just wasnā€™t planned well enough to do that. And in general, they still made it work about as well as they couldā€™ve.

In the original trilogy, we know thereā€™s more to the Empire than what we see in A New Hope. Vader and Tarkin are our focus but we know neither are in charge. We get intrigued about who could be bossing these two around. We get introduced to the Emperor directly in Empire, and he becomes a significant character in Jedi.
In the prequels, we watch Palpatine rise to power through manipulation of both sides of a war he runs. Three full films of him pulling strings in the shadows and taking control.
Both of those approaches worked well for the overarching story.

In the sequels, we get no mention of Palpatine prior to the final film, he gets reintroduced between films and then is meant to be the overarching villain for 9 films of story. Without so much as the suggestion of his presence in the prior 2, just feels odd. Plenty of fan theories ran there, but nothing in the films did. I just wish he was around more in some capacity, even to the lesser degrees of the original films, but unfortunately it just wasnā€™t planned well enough to do that. And in general, they still made it work about as well as they couldā€™ve.
youā€™re spot on in your analysis. it really comes down to Lucasfilm/Disney completely dropping the ball on the story arc of this trilogy. I enjoyed all 3 films, but I think they did a bit of a disservice to what could have been if theyā€™d just laid some of this out ahead of time. But as I said in my original, I was worried itā€™d be much worse, and I think they landed this thing without any major collateral damage.

I left feeling very satisfied. It gave me everything I needed.

literally screamed at Ben/Rey kiss. Also, and I'm sure another viewing will clarify, but wouldn't Palpatine's son (Rey's father) have been the big threat? Why was he so intent on Rey?
I was thinking maybe Rey's father wasn't strong in the Force, which is why Palpatine wanted the granddaughter
Did anyone notice if Rey's Light Saber at the end was double bladed? Seemed like she just lit one side, and then got sidetracked?"]
I didn't think it was double sided but do think the color of the blade looked rather "gold" or "amber"....which makes me think that there will be a new set of Kyber crystals for sale soon....along with a new legacy saber!
I asked this question last night driving home from movie. DH & DD say he was going to say he loved her. I'm glad they didn't explore that further.
Me too! That is for sure what he was going to say....and I would not have liked that plot line at all. Rey and Ben had an unspoken connection.

Right. At the end she was definitely being flirty and coy about it, but I think she shows up ten minutes later.
Naw, she definitely in an unspoken way said, no way Jose. Poe was pretty funny asking the unspoken question, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter