State of Fast Pass Return (or replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they could do the 3 free and then after that paid and it would probably go over ok. Or even go to a max pass type system.

While people may complain about paying for FP if it happens, many Disney fans have shown they end up accepting it. Look no further then the amount of people who paid to get into DCA just to buy food.

It's being proven over and over since the day they re-opened. People are willing to pay the same prices or higher when there are no parades, no shows, limited dining, shortened hours. They're selling out tickets for a Halloween event that offers a fraction of what MNSSHP did, for a higher price. I held out, swearing we wouldn't go back under all those conditions and then they went and brought back fireworks so I'm as good an example as anyone. We're paying rack rate for a resort I would never choose under normal circumstances at a price I usually am paying not much more to get a Deluxe. And all because we want to see the fireworks. We are, as of today, still on the fence about it because of the FP+ situation, but we're leaning heavily towards going regardless and just accept it's a fireworks trip and not much more.

As far as paid FP, I've never been against it although I don't like the system being discussed. But, to be honest, it won't stop us from going. It's the lack of the things that make Disney special holding us back, not the cost or potential cost. After all, there are just a handful of rides we'd want to pay for. We don't do re-rides much, just a couple, so the cost per person wouldn't be prohibitive. If they add in a few free as a perk of a resort stay, we're definitely all in.

I realize for others, this is a much tougher hill to climb.

Last edited:
It's being proven over and over since the day they re-opened. People are willing to pay the same prices or higher when there are no parades, no shows, limited dining, shortened hours. They're selling out tickets for a Halloween event that offers a fraction of what MNSSHP did, for a higher price. I held out, swearing we wouldn't go back under all those conditions and then they went and brought back fireworks so I'm as good an example as anyone. We're paying rack rate for a resort I would never choose under normal circumstances at a price I usually am paying not much more to get a Deluxe. And all because we want to see the fireworks. We are, as of today, still on the fence about it because of the FP+ situation, but we're leaning heavily towards going regardless and just accept it's a fireworks trip and not much more.
It's a big reason why they do what they do. Cause so far no matter what they cut or make people continue to pay for it. Til people start voting with their wallets they will continue to do this.

As far as FP goes I welcome a paid system. I have gone to enough parks to know a well paid systems work. The less people that have FP the better it works.

On second thought I think at least resort guest will get a limited number of free FP. Get guests used to getting the access pass. Maybe some won't realize they've used up their free ones. Like the proverbial drug dealer who gives out free samples.

Last edited:
Anyone else feel like Disney monitors message board chatter and went: “Hmm….they’re losing their minds over WDW and the possibility of FastPass+…..we’re not quite ready to give them more detail. What will buy us time? Release the remaining Resort Hotel reopening dates!! That’ll distract them for another week or so” :rolleyes1

Anyone else feel like Disney monitors message board chatter and went: “Hmm….they’re losing their minds over WDW and the possibility of FastPass+…..we’re not quite ready to give them more detail. What will buy us time? Release the remaining Resort Hotel reopening dates!! That’ll distract them for another week or so” :rolleyes1

Well, if they're watching, they should know, it didn't work.

Disney listens. Years ago guests complained about the original DDP. Too much food. Disney dropped the appetizers.

Posters tell us FP are great. An important part of their trip. Disney listened. Any
thing that popular should have a charge.

Guests thought the Dining plan was losing value. Disney added an adult beverage.

DISNEY LISTENS

As far as paid FP, I've never been against it although I don't like the system being discussed. But, to be honest, it won't stop us from going. It's the lack of the things that make Disney special holding us back, not the cost or potential cost. After all, there are just a handful of rides we'd want to pay for. We don't do re-rides much, just a couple, so the cost per person wouldn't be prohibitive. If they add in a few free as a perk of a resort stay, we're definitely all in.

I realize for others, this is a much tougher hill to climb.
We went last month understanding things aren’t normal because of covid restrictions, I’m not willing to put up with what we paid for in “normal times”

Well, if they're watching, they should know, it didn't work.

Just to share a little bit, because I know Cakebaker feels the same way that I feel about FP+, and bringing back the pre-covid version- ( pretty sure many others feel the same way)

So, we leave a week from today, and I am an UBER planner---- have been for years. Not sure if anyone on the boards would remember the "Flamingo Cafe"--- it was a chat room (seems like ages ago) --- we had a club, called the "OPC"- (Obsessive Planners Club")
So, anyway.. for years, a week before we leave, I type up our itinerary (DD15 does her own, using those "Daily WDW Planning cards" that she found online). I print out a copy for the each of us, and e-mail it to myself. (I actually go as far as looking at Disney menus for our ADRs and seeing what I might want to eat- (always like trying something new)

So, anyway... today was "itinerary day"-- and it just wasn't the same--- first thing DS10 said "Dad, where are the rides and times listed?"

I might be in the minority, and havent been to WDW yet, since the reopening... but the thought of not having at least some our or rides booked is a tough pill to swallow. I know we will have a great time, but we are not RD people - (usually nite owls, and like to wake up late and hit the parks late, especially in the summer. )

I used to book late-afternoon/evening FPs... this is definitely going to be a different experience. Just my .02

Then stay somewhere else. 😃
Right? Some super cynical people posting on here lately.

Why would we want to stay anywhere else when they give us so many perks for staying on property? :rolleyes2
So as ForWhomTheMouseTolls said: stay elsewhere. If you don’t feel the value is there staying onsite that’s fine. But others do feel the value. Different opinions can coexist. The difference comes when people try to state “there’s no benefit to staying onsite anymore” like it’s a fact.

Then stay somewhere else. 😃

That won't change the fact that they aren't worth it.

We've never, in 35 years stayed off site. The only, absolutely only reason we aren't off site on our trip this month is we want quick and easy access the to MK. The only reason we're at the Cabins is because it was the only resort available that would house our bunch, not force us onto a bus to get to the MK and not cost us over 1k a night. We will Uber to everywhere else. Does that make it worth the $450 a night plus $70 a day for a golf cart? Obviously, since we booked it. But does it leave a bitter taste in my mouth that in order to get that one simple thing that is not negotiable, we had to pay that kind of money.

Leaving your customers with a bitter taste in their mouth shouldn't be ok with Disney.

That won't change the fact that they aren't worth it.

We've never, in 35 years stayed off site. The only, absolutely only reason we aren't off site on our trip this month is we want quick and easy access the to MK. The only reason we're at the Cabins is because it was the only resort available that would house our bunch, not force us onto a bus to get to the MK and not cost us over 1k a night. We will Uber to everywhere else. Does that make it worth the $450 a night plus $70 a day for a golf cart? Obviously, since we booked it. But does it leave a bitter taste in my mouth that in order to get that one simple thing that is not negotiable, we had to pay that kind of money.

Leaving your customers with a bitter taste in their mouth shouldn't be ok with Disney.
Hate to break it to those posting that they “aren’t worth it”….but as long as people are willing to pay the going rate for the Disney resorts then they are in fact worth it.

Real estate is a great example of this. Why is an average house in my city (Greater Toronto Area) worth over $1,090,000 but if you go to a major city in the US with a similar population, say Chicago Metropolitan Area and it’s $310,000. They have similar climates, similar populations, similar economies. Why is real estate in Toronto worth 3.5 times more? Simple answer: because people are willing to pay that much more.

And the bottom line, which many won’t like, is that Disney has more responsibility to their shareholders than their guests. Especially in a post pandemic world where they need to show they can not only recoup the losses, but show potential for growth in the coming years.

I know this is potentially veering off topic, so let me swing it back at least towards Disney. With the announcements of the remaining reopening dates of the closed resorts, there will be full resort availability by the end of the year. The Polynesian hotel side, the Jambo house hotel side, both port orleans resorts and the final two all starts represent nearly 10,000 rooms back in the bootable inventory.

Is there pent up demand to travel? Sure. But that is 30% of Disney’s hotel inventory that will now be available in the fall/winter. I personally don’t think there is enough pent up demand to fill those without discounts. I’ve posted my thoughts on other threads that I’m quite confident we will see fall discounts and today’s announcements make me even more confident of that. So, where I’m looking at it not everything is at the detriment of the guests.

Last edited:
Hate to break it to those posting that they “aren’t worth it”….but as long as people are willing to pay the going rate for the Disney resorts then they are in fact worth it.

Worth is, no doubt, in the eye of the beholder. But there's a reason they're having to offer deluxe guests some perks to get them to stay at their resorts and it's because currently- they aren't worth it to enough people on their own merits. The reason they can get away with charging higher prices for the moderates and values is because they have so many resorts in those categories closed. They're worth it because of scarcity, not quality. That's certainly why we're paying what we're paying for what we're getting. But, while we may do it, we know we're getting taken to the cleaners and that's not a feeling I've ever had with Disney before. I keep thinking to myself- you're paying over $500 a night to stay in a very small trailer. That's crazy and yet here we are.

But that won't last forever. Let's see what kind of deals they're having to put out once all the resorts are open fully. But yes, for now, they can get away with it. I'm looking forward to an over supply of resorts and some really great discounts. It will be nice to be on the other side of the coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter