Strange World Is a Historic Bomb for Disney on a Weak Thanksgiving Box Office Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, Paranorman tacked that on at the end, which I thought was a little weird. It's pretty minor though. I haven't caught a lot of animation from companies other than Disney lately, so I don't know what has been in them.
I do agree that it was tacked on at the last minute. I do think a lot of companies making kids films are too afraid to have really good LGBT rep without people needlessly complaining about it, even if it's only a 2 second scene. For now they'll probably stick to TV animation, as shows like Owl House and Steven Universe (not Disney) have excellent LGBT rep.

There was also Mitchells vs. The Machines, which I can't comment on its relative success, but it was a really good movie, where the LGBTQ themes were handled nicely.

TOTALLY no surprise that a fun action movie for the majority of the market would do better than a low key children's animated movie.
Well, Bolt and Meet the Robinsons made about $100 Million, domestically speaking, each. So, it ought to be embarrassing to a whole lot of CMs, upper management and even lower-level creatives, that this movie is getting trounced at the box office by a Rated-R movie that is going to make a profit, but will never be a smash success.

Again, maybe, maybe not.

You're right - there is no way to really know for sure, but I think it's quite a leap of logic to think that Strange World does that much better with that one change, all other things being equal, including the lack of promotion. I just don't see it.

It's not. It is how people who hate others find a way to deflect from why they really don't want it in movies.
See I have a problem with this type of attitude. People might believe that certain lifestyles are not normal or something that should only be portrayed in media geared towards adults, but that doesn't mean they hate others. People should be able to live their lives any way they wish without resorting to societal pressure to look like another gender. How you want to live shouldn't be dependent on how you look. People should always be respected even when you believe their lifestyle is not normal.

1.) Poor marketing.
2.) Poor storytelling.
3.) Excessive costs to make movies.
4.) Streaming options at home make the theater experience less attractive.
5.) Audiences that avoid political/social commentary for children's movies.

To harken back to an earlier post, to me these are the top-5 reasons why Strange World is a disaster. I think there is missing piece I've noticed in the more modern Disney movies is that sense of romanticism. Not romantic relationship, but the sense of romanticism. I think that sense is a huge reason why Top Gun: Maverick was so successful because it had a theme of romanticism with Pete Mitchell and his old aviation ways and dog-fighting without modern planes.

Also, that's why I don't think Avatar 2 will bomb. James Cameron, as filmmaker, has a sense of romanticism with his movies. Heck, even Aliens, is a story about two mothers or motherly-figures trying to protect their children and there is something romantic about mother's caring and protecting their children no matter the costs. I would fully expect Avatar 2 to have romanticism beats to it. It is a form of storytelling that I fear has been lost by Disney creatives and they don't understand the idea of romanticism in storytelling. Coco definitely had that sense. Not sure if there has been one sense. Maybe Moana and the sea?

See I have a problem with this type of attitude. People might believe that certain lifestyles are not normal or something that should only be portrayed in media geared towards adults, but that doesn't mean they hate others. People should be able to live their lives any way they wish without resorting to societal pressure to look like another gender. How you want to live shouldn't be dependent on how you look. People should always be respected even when you believe their lifestyle is not normal.
I don't have an attitude. I happen to think that all movies should include all people. Not all people believe that, and that is sad.

Less a deflection than calling people names.
I think the point is, if you are going to assert a certain view, you need to be able to provide some factual evidence to back it up. Otherwise, you just look like you're forcing your own views onto people and claiming them to be fact rather than opinion. Which causes people to react in kind, and then you get into a situation like this one.

Okay, so thinking something is not "normal" is a far cry from actual hate, but why is it a problem if a movie includes something that is not normal? So many things about the protagonists of animated films are not normal. They are usually precocious, outcast types, bucking the system - that's not normal. A girl with magic hair that is hundreds of feet long? Not normal. A 12 year old robotics genius in college? Not normal. A girl in the 1700's who reads books? Not normal. So, what's the worry about normal?

Last edited:
We'll probably watch it on Disney+
I have seen sparse advertising for it, and the cinema is a long way away and expensive, and a risk (especially since we are saving all our risk points for our holiday) DD9 is vaguely interested in seeing it, and I'd rather see something I've never seen before than one of her current limited circulation that I have seen a million times.
I don't understand why people get all weird about characters being LGBTQ etc, LGBTQ people exist. It is a normal state of being. We saw Lightyear, and OMG I would have been hard pressed to have even noticed that there was "LGBTQ content" but I think it's *awesome* if my children have examples of these and other types of families, that might not look like their own, but are positive examples of family, because a) I want them to grow up to know that their experience isn't the only valid, valuable experience, but also b) If they grow up and fit better into a different kind of family than the one they grew up in, I want them to have always known that, that's normal, and good, and no less of a family than anything else.
I mean, I didn't think Lightyear was a great movie, but that could be cos I'm 47, could be cos I was never especially hooked in to Buzz Lightyear as a character in the first place.
I wasn't mad keen on Turning Red either, but DD9 *LOVED* that one, and, to be fair, we had some good conversations off the back of it.

Last edited:
How about Onward? Reasonable successful at the box office (in Covid times), and favourable reviews from critics.
They had a lesbian cyclops.
Many countries censored or changed all references to the character being a lesbian, with Russia, UAE and Egypt being a few examples. Onward is the only one of these movies discussed here that I've seen and thought it was meh. It would've still been meh even without the lesbian character.

I guess Elemental and Wish might flop next year and it'll be the end of Pixar and Disney Animation. :sad:

Many countries censored or changed all references to the character being a lesbian, with Russia, UAE and Egypt being a few examples. Onward is the only one of these movies discussed here that I've seen and thought it was meh. It would've still been meh even without the lesbian character.
Onward wasn't my movie either, but there was some creativity to it and the emotional plotline, especially with Barley was very strong. I do feel that there was more time dedicated to develop the story, the characters and the emotions of Onward than there was to Strange World.

I'm sorry but if other people believe that who others love is "not normal" that's a them problem. Love between LGBT+ folks is not abnormal in the same way love between het couples is not abnormal.

Strange World had all the makings of an absolutely epic movie. The visuals, the concept, and even the plot should have made for a freaking incredible flick. I can't quite figure out why it wasn't, however. Something didn't click. Was it the writing? The characters? Was it missing "heart?" I just can't quite identify what went wrong, because even now, after having watched the movie, the idea gets me totally excited, and makes me want to go see it again, until I realize I just didn't enjoy it! What is going on!?? There is an intangible something that was missing.

I guess it's kind of like when you hire someone who has great credentials, skills, knowledge, and personality, and all signs point to them being successful, but for some reason they just don't gel in the position and things don't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter