Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have trip at the of June. The package with tickets is totally paid for here is the question - if I am going to cancel when do I cancel and not get penalized? The last payment is supposed to be in by mid May but the parks aren’t scheduled to be open until around June 1st if that soon. So what if they open and I still don’t feel comfortable that the coast is clear or only portions of the resort are open- will I be penalized because I didn’t cancel 30 days in advance?
You won’t be penalized according to statements on their website:

371E9614-F9BD-4524-B7A2-D1704C0C1D8E.png

Has anyone who tried this been blocked from any sort of discount in November? I just tried to move my early May GCH reservation to mid November and was told there was no discount other than a $50 gift card. If I wanted to move it to June 19 - October 3, I would get the $50 gift card AND 30-35% off my room?! Urg.

The cast member said they typically don't do discounts for November / December as it is a popular time.

Any different experience out there?

Has anyone who tried this been blocked from any sort of discount in November? I just tried to move my early May GCH reservation to mid November and was told there was no discount other than a $50 gift card. If I wanted to move it to June 19 - October 3, I would get the $50 gift card AND 30-35% off my room?! Urg.

The cast member said they typically don't do discounts for November / December as it is a popular time.

Check out this link for past discounts during Nov and Dec

It will give you an idea of when the discount was announced and the active dates for the discount.

I ran into the same issue when trying to move our May trip to October 4th to the 9th. I was told that the special offer being touted on the website was only good through October 3rd. That was after speaking to two different people and even having them acknowledge that the website states it’s through 12/31/20...guess they are really leaning on the “valid for arrivals on most nights” statement.

Just rescheduled our May trip to the third week of July. With the special offer we ended up saving $2,800 off the total vacation package and only ended up increasing our overall price by $670 for switch in months. Also got the $50 resort credit as well.

I just canceled our May dates and rebooked in September. Early May just looked like it wouldn’t be happening, so we decided to see what the special offer was. We were able to save $130 plus get the $50/day resort credit.

Someone up thread had said that if their trip had not been cancelled it would be over by now, but that now they can still look forward to it when it happens. I get that. The excited anticipation of looking forward and planning a trip lasts a long time. Then the trip seems to go so fast. I have to keep telling myself while I'm on vacation not to count how many days are left because that always starts to make me sad even while I'm still enjoying it. Need to learn to live in the moment.
But it is sad that for so many their only consolation is that their cancelled trips mean that they might be able to reschedule and would then still be looking forward to it. Or possibly the opposite, must be put off indefinitely.

Check out this link for past discounts during Nov and Dec

It will give you an idea of when the discount was announced and the active dates for the discount.

Thanks, Geemo! I know this year is going to be an odd bird all around, but that link helps me feel better. Disney Visa for the win!

I ran into the same issue when trying to move our May trip to October 4th to the 9th. I was told that the special offer being touted on the website was only good through October 3rd. That was after speaking to two different people and even having them acknowledge that the website states it’s through 12/31/20...guess they are really leaning on the “valid for arrivals on most nights” statement.

Exactly! Thanks DesertScorpion for trying a couple cast members. I also asked Dreams Unlimited and the travel agent agreed that is what is being offered. She also thought we would get a discount for November so I'm going for that! Going from a 34 day countdown to 229 days is sad, BUT I'll get Disneyland at Christmas, which is oh so extra magical.

Exactly! Thanks DesertScorpion for trying a couple cast members. I also asked Dreams Unlimited and the travel agent agreed that is what is being offered. She also thought we would get a discount for November so I'm going for that! Going from a 34 day countdown to 229 days is sad, BUT I'll get Disneyland at Christmas, which is oh so extra magical.

I ended up calling again today and moved my dates to the third week of July but before doing so I confirmed again with a third CM that the special deal being mentioned on the website does in fact only go up to October 3rd.

Glad you’ll get to do Disney at Christmas time though! Should be fun!

Someone up thread had said that if their trip had not been cancelled it would be over by now, but that now they can still look forward to it when it happens. I get that. The excited anticipation of looking forward and planning a trip lasts a long time. Then the trip seems to go so fast. I have to keep telling myself while I'm on vacation not to count how many days are left because that always starts to make me sad even while I'm still enjoying it. Need to learn to live in the moment.
But it is sad that for so many their only consolation is that their cancelled trips mean that they might be able to reschedule and would then still be looking forward to it. Or possibly the opposite, must be put off indefinitely.
I'm too scared to look forward to our now-August trip. I can't watch the ride videos, or eat the Mickey snacks, or do any trip planning at all. I planned every second of this trip--Disneybounding, menu research, ROTR strategy--for 11 months before the rug was ripped out two weeks before we were supposed to leave. Seeing Disney stuff just makes me sad all over. No one knows when this park is reopening, or whether it will have to close again right away. This time, I'm planning and anticipating nothing. We will pack the night before and tell our child as we walk out the door, if we are able to go at all.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has posted about the discounts.... we were hoping to reschedule ours for November, but it seems like they aren’t allowing discounts after 9/30. You guys saved me a ton of time on the phone. I may book something for September.... I’m not sure if August is going to be late enough. It’s so hard to know what to do!

Experts correct me if I am wrong, but traditionally, hotel discounts for November are available in early September. Worth checking at that time?

Last edited:
Just cancelled our Disneyland Hotel stay for middle of April and I just wanted to make a few comments.
1) When canceling they ask if you want to rebook for a different date and after several minutes figuring a date they tell you the price is different. Why not say that in the first place instead of making it sound like you'll get the same rate you are canceling. I can easily look on their slow website and book my overpriced room just fine.
2) After canceling I was told it will take 1 to 2 billing cycles to see the charges come off the credit card. Of course the price difference for the new reservation went through immediately.
It just seems Disney Travel operates as a travel agency in the 80s. They probably have a blockbuster video nearby.

It's all about timing. The day after we call they started the 30% discount on rooms. Thankfully the team member I spoke to was very accommodating and we were able to re-book at a much better rate.

This craziness should be over by October.....right???

When we rebooked our April trip to mid September, I was told by the cast member that the offer for discounts was only good to October 1st. We saved about 30% as well with the $50 on top of that savings.

Not sure if anyone else has a pass that was due to expire during the closure. But my original expiration was 3/30/20...it got extended to 4/30/20...now the expiration got extended to 5/31/20. So they seem to be extending the ones who have expirations in limbo during the closure.

Not sure if anyone else has a pass that was due to expire during the closure. But my original expiration was 3/30/20...it got extended to 4/30/20...now the expiration got extended to 5/31/20. So they seem to be extending the ones who have expirations in limbo during the closure.

Ah, hadn't noticed that, but I see that mine has been updated again too. I would have gone one more time before my pass expired due to my last few pass days corresponding to the overlap of my sons' college breaks, but obviously that didn't happen. I doubt that I will be one of the first people venturing out for a full-throttle return to normal life the moment the parks open back up, so I think my final pass days will go unused regardless of how far they extend them out. My sons will still be going to southern California colleges though, and Disneyland has been our family thing for 15 years now, so I'm sure I will buy a new pass and get back there sometime.

Interesting about the passes. I just looked mine up online and on the app. I have a Premier pass that expired on 3/29. On the website, I cannot find my pass at all (says there are no passes linked to my account). And on the app (both DL and WDW), it still shows the 3/29 expiration dates. Not sure what to think. But I hate to call them knowing they are so busy right now and having gotten the emails about expiration dates being extended.

Interesting about the passes. I just looked mine up online and on the app. I have a Premier pass that expired on 3/29. On the website, I cannot find my pass at all (says there are no passes linked to my account). And on the app (both DL and WDW), it still shows the 3/29 expiration dates. Not sure what to think. But I hate to call them knowing they are so busy right now and having gotten the emails about expiration dates being extended.
My friend called them. But she got a new card number so she has to put it on file. She said it took 5 minutes. So maybe they aren’t super busy?

I wonder what closure date they're using for the Premier passes. Mine expired on 3/16 so I'll have somewhere between 1 and 3 days left once the parks reopen if I'm even able to go those days.

I wonder what closure date they're using for the Premier passes. Mine expired on 3/16 so I'll have somewhere between 1 and 3 days left once the parks reopen if I'm even able to go those days.

I figure I will have about 2-2.5 weeks left on mine. I would normally get another, but until I get an idea when the parks will re-open, I will probably just get a DL one to start. I have a 12 day trip planned to WDW in Sept and then another 6-8 day trip in March. But I will decide in July if the September trip is still on (cancel and then bank my DVC points by 7/31). Since I travel with my 81 year old Mom, we will not be going if things do not look a lot better come July.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter