SWGE Opens August 29!

We are going the first two weeks of August and am so thankful we are missing the chaos!! Hopefully that means there will be even lower crowds those two weeks.

If I had the misfortune of being there on Day 1 I'd probably just embrace the dark side and do everything I could to be one of the first ever to visit the land on opening day. Yeah I'd probably be lining up for RD at 3 or 4 AM but that would be awesome.

I think you would make an awesome travel companion! Unfortunately my family doesn't think like you. I acutally thought of just going there at 3am alone and waiting in line. I wonder how early they line up.

I picked that week also for the opening of F&W and the MNSSHP. Do you think those will be swamped, too? We have been to WDW many times so we were thinking of just enjoying the resort and not going hardcore on the rides. Wondering if we should keep the dates. So hard to decide. If every freakin thing is going to be just swamped with people, I think I'll switch. No telling for sure, though.

Well I'm slightly disappointed, but in a different way.

When I first started planning our trip, I wanted to come for SWGE because we are huge Star Wars fans, but was waiting until we heard an opening date.

Then, my company announced our yearly convention is in Orlando from August 8-10 this year, so I decided to just kind of forget about Star Wars for now and combine the trips since I'd only have to pay for my airfare once. We will be in Disney from August 11-14. I wasn't too concerned about Star Wars after that, but NOW I learn that we are only missing it by 2 weeks which stings a little. But I can't change convention dates, so we'll just have to go back in a year or 2.

I AM hoping that may mean slightly lower crowds for us.

I'm excited, but I can't help but feel it's a little bit suicidal for them to open it with only one ride ready to go. Without the other ride to eat the enormous crowds this feels like a mistake. However we already have a trip booked September 7th to the 14th so we'll be there!

I think you would make an awesome travel companion! Unfortunately my family doesn't think like you. I acutally thought of just going there at 3am alone and waiting in line. I wonder how early they line up.

I picked that week also for the opening of F&W and the MNSSHP. Do you think those will be swamped, too? We have been to WDW many times so we were thinking of just enjoying the resort and not going hardcore on the rides. Wondering if we should keep the dates. So hard to decide. If every freakin thing is going to be just swamped with people, I think I'll switch. No telling for sure, though.

Go for it! Maybe they'll understand. I'll be leaving my wife in the hotel room when I go to Halloween Horror Nights solo....

You give Galaxy's edge too much credit, will it increase crowds at Hollywood Studios and Disneyland for a bit? Yes, but as with all other attractions once the initial interest wears off, it will drop to 2-3 hour lines for a while, then be an average of 45-90 minute waits most of the time. It may take a little longer to get there than with some other attractions, but it will get there.

I think you read my post as more literal than intended. ;)

Our trip is 8/17-26. So funny that we thought we would easily miss the chaos. Wonder how crowds will be affected a few days before opening, if people will be hoping for soft openings.

Oh well, we will have a blast no matter what.

Just sitting here pounding my head on my desk!!! :sad2: We're booked for 3rd week in September and I was sooo hoping to be there before SWGE opened.

Plane tickets are booked. We're going.

DH is NOT a fan of crowds so I am just cringing. Does anyone know how fast the crowd calendar sites like Touring Plans will update with this new info?

Will need to rethink our whole trip plan now. Thanking my lucky stars this happened before our ADR booking window opened.
I feel for you.

A thought I had: since there will be no FP initially, might WDW do return times for entrance to SW:GE instead of trying to manage a line all the way to Tampa? Kind of like FP of old, go to a SW:GE return time station and get a ticket to enter at a certain time? That would allow WDW to manage crowd levels in SW:GE and spread people around the park to spend $$ instead of keeping them in an 8-hour line. Could such a thing be done through the FP+ software, maybe, to further eliminate lines forming to get return times?

This is the one about fastpasses, I'll see if I can find the one that mentions "select Disney Resorts" having EMH. They haven't mentioned exactly what that means...it might mean just deluxes/moderates, or it might be differentiating between onsite hotels vs offsite good neighbor hotels that NORMALLY get EMH access

https://www.****************.com/ne...ions-will-be-available-star-wars-galaxys-edge
Right, "select", this could be interesting. Like I said I have no interest in SW, but I do have interest in how Disney is going to handle all of this. Will they give priority to Deluxe resorts, or give priority to the higher end Deluxes or what?

Very surprised it's opening in August! I feel so bad for anyone who booked a trip around that time hoping to avoid the opening crowds. I would be so upset.

I feel for you.

We booked with borrowed points so we can't change our Sept 8-16 trip... My SO has never been as isnt a huge Disney guy.. After this trip, I fear I'll never convince him to go again..
I'm so upset with this extremely early opening. I hope (sorry for summer people) That's it's extremely rainy and delays the opening at least 2 weeks

I just wonder if in some way Disney will use a direct DVC purchase over a resale DVC purchase for a easier entry into SWGE?

Am I the only one with an early fall (Sept 7-14) trip already booked that is a little bummed by this news? Nervous about what this will mean for crowds during a time that is typically less busy. :(

No, you are not the only one upset by this news. I had an early September trip scheduled, but thinking of canceling or maybe just avoiding HS, except for dinner at Brown Derby. But, it would be nice to get a picture with Hans Solo!

I noticed that the release they sent had this disclaimer:

Capacity is limited. Access to the theme park, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on guest demand and other factors.

I'm taking this to mean that they could close just the SWGE section due to capacity. My question is, how will they be able to determine capacity for just the land? It will have no turnstiles or anything obviously. And if it were to close due to capacity, will be interesting to see how they manage the throngs of people that will be wanting to just stand around and wait until it re-opens.

Seeing how all of this is handled operationally is going to be pretty interesting IMO. Glad we're not going till November so I can feel it out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter