• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

TCD's Spring Break 2010 Trip Report

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
I’m back.

I didn’t intend to be gone so long.

Little by little, the changes at the Fort have bothered me. I got tired of the constantly raising prices, and the increasing hassles of making reservations, checking in, renting golf carts, etc. I decided that the TCD gang needed to take a break from Disney.

And, I also decided to take a break from the Disboards. I was spending way too much time in cyberspace, and not enough time on more important things.

So, the TCD gang has not visited the Fort in 2010 (except for the tail-end of our New Year’s Eve visit). And I kept away from the Disboards.

We typically go for MLK weekend and Presidents’ Day weekend, and Spring Break, too.

But, the greedy Fort management has made all of those times “Premium.” I am not going to pay $100+ a night to camp.

So, for Spring Break, 2010, the TCD gang tried something new.

I am going to share our experience here, because where we went is closer to a lot of you than WDW. And, if people stop paying the outrageous charges at the Fort, the prices will have to come down.

So, for Spring Break 2010, the TCD gang hitched up, and headed north instead of east.

We turned left at Tallahassee, and at about 400 miles from home, we made it to our destination for the week: Grayton Beach State Park.

Yes, I said 400 miles. All in the State of Florida. Folks often fail to realize how big this state is. Grayton Beach is closer to New Orleans than it is to where we live (Tampa Bay area). Heck, it's even in a different time zone!

Was it as nice as the Fort?

No.

But, we paid less than $20 a night for our campsite.

Yes, I said less than $20 a night.

And, we had a blast.

So, let’s get on with the trip report, right?

Here we are at a rest stop on I-10, just to the West of Tallahassee. You can see that we brought our bikes. They were essential on this trip, and I highly recommend that you either bring bikes, or arrange to rent some if you visit this part of Florida:

SpringBreak2010029.jpg

Here is our set up in our campsite. As you can see, the sites are not paved, and they have just water and electric, at least on this loop of the campground. There is a new loop, which opened late last year, with sewer. I’ll have some photos from that loop later in the report:

SpringBreak2010040.jpg

This is the boardwalk to the beach:

SpringBreak2010041.jpg

And our first sunset:

SpringBreak2010044.jpg

For our first night, we headed over to the town of Seaside (about a mile and a half to the East of the Park entrance), where we ate at the Pizza Bar. The food here is fabulous! Much better that the cardboard and spaghetti sauce served at the Fort:

SpringBreak2010046.jpg

SpringBreak2010051.jpg

In Seaside, there is also an establishment called Taco Bar. Another excellent place. And, they even provide a photo op:

SpringBreak2010052.jpg

SpringBreak2010053.jpg

Note that one of the TCD DD’s refused to participate. But, TCD still had to be the dog.

The campsites at Grayton Beach State Park are situated along the banks of Western Lake. Western Lake is a coastal lake. Apparently, this is rare. The lake and the beach here are beautiful! See for yourself:

SpringBreak2010105.jpg

SpringBreak2010113.jpg

SpringBreak2010114.jpg

SpringBreak2010115.jpg

SpringBreak2010116.jpg

SpringBreak2010118.jpg

SpringBreak2010128.jpg

SpringBreak2010129.jpg

SpringBreak2010130.jpg

SpringBreak2010131.jpg

Here is one of the lakeside campsites:

SpringBreak2010119.jpg

The campsites are pretty basic. Here are some shots of the electric and water connections, for those of you interested in such things:

SpringBreak2010122.jpg

SpringBreak2010123.jpg

SpringBreak2010124.jpg

They also supply a clothesline:

SpringBreak2010125.jpg

And picnic table, and fire ring/grill:

SpringBreak2010126.jpg

SpringBreak2010127.jpg

TCD

(Plenty more to come) . . .

You S O B!!!!!!! We were all worried about you.....so glad your healthy!!!!! You told me about Grayton last year when we hit St Joseph...Im so glad youre doing a report on it, Im giving serious thought to this spot as a short trip this summer...now Ive got some ammo to plan with. Welcome back, buddy!!!

Oh yeah...MOST of these gulf side State parks in FL DO allow golf carts!

TCD,,!! It is so good to hear from you again !
We all missed you,,and worried that Disney may have put a hit out on you !
And I gotta say, your pics are a welcome sight indeed. That campground sure looks great.

Welcome home.

Hello and "Welcome Back" Tri-circle-D ......... Believe me, it is great to see a Thread with your name on it again! I, as well as I am sure many others from the 'Disboards' are glad that your are okay and that you decided to give us an update as to where you have been and why we have not heard from you in so long! Many of us have been 'Very' concerned! We have really missed your posts!

Doug / datgrt@fw

Nice pictures. Life is slow and easy on the panhandle of FL and gulf coast of AL.

We did miss you TCD. I'm simply glad the MIB didn't get you! :happytv:

Bama ED

I'm glad to see you haven't lost your "trip report touch". I hear you loud and clear about Disney's high prices and low quality. We haven't gone camping at the Fort since last Halloween. Of course, the high prices haven't kept people from going to the Fort. I understand it has been as packed as ever.

It's great to hear from you!

TCD Missed ya! I fully uinderstand what you mean about the prices of Disney! We tried Topsail this last weekend and WOW! For $40.00 we had everything Disney had water, electric paved site cable sewer plus a trolley to the
beach!
Glad your back and can't wait for more!

I'm glad you are back also. You live pretty close to me and DH and I always looked forward to seeing your reports. There are many great state parks in FL and GA to try. Since you were up that way did you see or hear about Topsail. Looks nice from what I can see by pictures. I just hate driving 8+ hours and never leaving the state. Anyway, glad you are back and safe.

So glad you posted, everyone was worried about you. Great trip report. I agree with the prices, but there isn't to many places to go that is 1 hr away for a weekend. It kills me to pay Disney prices especially for Fri night when we get in late and then have to check out early Sun. But if you only stayed one night you don't even get 24hrs for the prices they charge.

Welcome back TCD! So glad you were not banned from the boards or something after the great and famous river country report. As others and yourself, I agree also with high prices and other negative things at the fort these days. But since we live outside of Tampa like you, we are drawn to the good times at the fort. When I tell friends up north we pay $100 for a campsite, they tell me to take Mickey and put him where the sun don't shine. I guess we look at it as staying at a disney resort without the $350 a night price tag and we get to sleep in our own bed. Anyways, welcome back

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter