TCD's Spring Break 2010 Trip Report

Was The Truman Show filmed in Seaside? Someone told me that a long time ago and I always wanted to visit the town :)

Welcome Back :cool1:

TCD told me this a while back as well...pretty interesting little tidbit of info!!

Welcome back! Glad to see you're ok. Everyone was worried about you! Just one little piece of advice since you've been MIA....you might want to delete the picture of the clothesline. SOME people don't believe in them.... Then again, it's a state park so it's the right price for most poor campers. :rolleyes1 Right Karla? :rotfl2:

You're back!! :cool1::cool1: We've all been missing (and worrying!) about you!

Can't wait for the report!

Leslie

That's great, I just have a few questions:

1. What's the best loop there?
2. How do I get the yellow bus?
3. Are there alligators in the lake?
4. What is the weather like there in July?
5. How much does it cost for laundry?
6. Which loop should I ask for?

Welcome back! Glad to see you're ok. Everyone was worried about you! Just one little piece of advice since you've been MIA....you might want to delete the picture of the clothesline. SOME people don't believe in them.... Then again, it's a state park so it's the right price for most poor campers. :rolleyes1 Right Karla? :rotfl2:

Poor campers just make me sick. Especially one's from Mass. They think they can just hang towels in trees and ruin the bark too. The Nerve I tell you. Not to mention they have no money either. Sickening.

Click here for my trailer mods that took 15 hours and 3 grand but saved me 50 cents.

Looks like you had a fun time exploring a different campground! Goes to show it doesn't matter where you are, if you're with family, you're in the perfect place.

That said, it sounds like your Fort family is glad to have you back, too!

HE LIVES! Welcome back and thanks for starting a new trip report thread!

popcorn::

PS - While you were gone, Jim called Bobby and had them clean up the River Country area a little. :thumbsup2

You S O B!!!!!!! We were all worried about you.....so glad your healthy!!!!! You told me about Grayton last year when we hit St Joseph...Im so glad youre doing a report on it, Im giving serious thought to this spot as a short trip this summer...now Ive got some ammo to plan with. Welcome back, buddy!!!

Thanks, Rog. Yes, I did tell you about Grayton Beach, and I do recommend it. Read on, my friend, and you will see what a fun place it is.

TCD,,!! It is so good to hear from you again !
We all missed you,,and worried that Disney may have put a hit out on you !
And I gotta say, your pics are a welcome sight indeed. That campground sure looks great.

Welcome home.

Thank you. No hit on me. I thought you might want to know that the fellow in the campsite next to me did quite a bit of fishing there in Western Lake, and caught himself some real nice looking fish.

Thank you. It is good to be back.

Nice pictures. Life is slow and easy on the panhandle of FL and gulf coast of AL.

We did miss you TCD. I'm simply glad the MIB didn't get you! :happytv:

Bama ED

No MIB's. And, by the way, I don't think I was around to congratulate you on your team's National Championship. UF and Alabama play a regular season game this year at Alabama. Whoot!

I'm glad to see you haven't lost your "trip report touch". I hear you loud and clear about Disney's high prices and low quality. We haven't gone camping at the Fort since last Halloween. Of course, the high prices haven't kept people from going to the Fort. I understand it has been as packed as ever.

It's great to hear from you!

Thanks, Deb. Hopefully people will start to stay away, and the prices will come down.

TCD Missed ya! I fully uinderstand what you mean about the prices of Disney! We tried Topsail this last weekend and WOW! For $40.00 we had everything Disney had water, electric paved site cable sewer plus a trolley to the
beach!
Glad your back and can't wait for more!

I have heard great things about Topsail Hill. It isn't far from Grayton Beach. I sure liked Grayton Beach, though. Read on, and you'll see why.

So glad you posted, everyone was worried about you. Great trip report. I agree with the prices, but there isn't to many places to go that is 1 hr away for a weekend. It kills me to pay Disney prices especially for Fri night when we get in late and then have to check out early Sun. But if you only stayed one night you don't even get 24hrs for the prices they charge.

Agreed. FW is about 90 miles from my driveway to the entrance. That is a lot better than 400 miles. But, the gouging at every turn bugs me. I mean, do they really need to charge $6.00 for a beer?

Welcome Home

Thanks, with this warm welcome, it does feel like coming home.

Nice to see ya back. Love the pics. See any gators?

No, not a whole lot of wildlife.

Glad your not in Disney jail. Welcome back

No Disney Jail for TCD. They'd have to catch me first. ;)

Was The Truman Show filmed in Seaside? Someone told me that a long time ago and I always wanted to visit the town :)

Welcome Back :cool1:

TCD told me this a while back as well...pretty interesting little tidbit of info!!

Yes, the Truman Show was filmed in Seaside. I'll have some photos and discussion about this coming right along. Read on. Read on.

I have done a bit of catching up on the boards, and I get your reference. I'll be sure to post a photo of my hammock for the enjoyment of a certain someone.

You're back!! :cool1::cool1: We've all been missing (and worrying!) about you!

Can't wait for the report!

Leslie

Thank you. Some more is coming up. I see a new TR referenced in your signature. I'll have to check it out! Will you be back for the Mother's Day triathlon?

That's great, I just have a few questions:

1. What's the best loop there?
2. How do I get the yellow bus?
3. Are there alligators in the lake?
4. What is the weather like there in July?
5. How much does it cost for laundry?
6. Which loop should I ask for?

Ahh, Pete. Thanks for checking in. I will answer these and many more question below.

Welcome Home!

I especially like the clothesline pic!!! :lmao:

Yes, me too. A touch of class. ;)

Looks like you had a fun time exploring a different campground! Goes to show it doesn't matter where you are, if you're with family, you're in the perfect place.

That said, it sounds like your Fort family is glad to have you back, too!

Thank you. And Amen.

HE LIVES! Welcome back and thanks for starting a new trip report thread!

popcorn::

PS - While you were gone, Jim called Bobby and had them clean up the River Country area a little. :thumbsup2

So I've heard. Not many good photos about this on the boards (Ynottony excepted) Maybe I'll have to do something about that. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the welcomes back.

But, let's get on with this report, shall we?

TCD

Moving right along . . .

I mentioned that you should plan on bringing bikes along when you visit Grayton Beach, right?

Let's talk about why.

Grayton Beach is located in South Walton County. The locals call the place SoWal. There is even a SoWal website. SoWal.com. Check it out sometime.

The prominent feature in this little corner of the world is a road known as State Road 30A. 30A branches off of State Road 98 just to the West of Panama City, and runs along the coast for about 26 miles or so, where it then rejoins 98. There is a great bike path that follows 30A for its entire course. This makes it easy to ride a bike anywhere you might need to go.

From our campsite, to the border of Seaside, it was 1.6 miles. On a flat, paved surface. For reference, if you rode a bike from the Reception Outpost at Fort Wilderness to the boat dock, you would be riding about 1.3 miles. So, riding a bike from the Grayton Beach campground to Seaside is a piece of cake. And, the scenery is fantastic.

Here is what you see:

Just outside and to the East of the campground, you ride along Western Lake, and cross over it via two short bridges:

SpringBreak2010148.jpg

This is a view looking South from 30A, across Western Lake to the dunes and pine trees which are part of the East side of Grayton Beach State Park:

SpringBreak2010145.jpg

SpringBreak2010147.jpg

Right after you cross over the second bridge, you will see the development of Watercolor. This is a newer development which borders Seaside to the West, and wraps around the town to the North. This land was all owned by the St. Joseph's Paper Company, and was used for logging in the past. After seeing the success of Seaside, the beancounters at St. Joe's woke up and realized that they could make a fortune by giving up on logging the land, and developing it. So, that's what they did. This development is much larger than Seaside, and seems to be just about built out.

Here is what you will see as you approach Watercolor:

SpringBreak2010149.jpg

SpringBreak2010151.jpg

SpringBreak2010153.jpg

There is a beautiful and very nice hotel right here. It is called the Watercolor Inn. If you want to visit this area without camping, it is a great place to stay:

SpringBreak2010155.jpg

From here, you will see the famous Seaside skyline:

SpringBreak2010157.jpg

Make sure you pay attention to the details in this town. The streets feature multi-colored bricks:

SpringBreak2010158.jpg

Also, the street lamps, signs, and other infrastructure all adhere to very detailed design standards. This is a very nice development.

Should you ever visit this area by car, and you are looking for a place to park and visit the beach, this is where you would want to go. It is a public access parking lot. The parking lot is huge, and the parking is free. There are nice restrooms and showers here, and a walkway to the beach directly across the street. Did I mention the parking is free?

SpringBreak2010159.jpg

This is the parking lot. The building with the metal roof is the restroom building:

SpringBreak2010160.jpg

And before you know it, you will be at the entrance to Seaside:

SpringBreak2010161.jpg

SpringBreak2010162.jpg

SpringBreak2010164.jpg

SpringBreak2010165.jpg

Some of you already asked about one of Seaside's claims to fame. The movie, The Truman Show was filmed here. As a matter of fact, you will find the house where Truman and his wife lived right on Natchez Street, which is the first street you will come to as you approach from the West. This is the house:

SpringBreak2010166.jpg

SpringBreak2010167.jpg

SpringBreak2010168.jpg

And here is good old Truman (Jim Carrey) from back in the day:

Jim-Carey-Truman-Show_l.jpg

trumantown_thumb.jpg

TrumanShowSeaside.jpg

The town does not look quite as perfect as it is depicted in the movie, but it is still a fascinating place to explore. There are also strict building codes here. No garages. All of the houses must have some type of picket fence. All of the houses have porches that face the road. The idea was to encourage walking and socialization. This is called New Urbanism.

Some shots from around town:

SpringBreak2010169.jpg

SpringBreak2010170.jpg

This is the Seaside Chapel. They have worship services here on Sundays, and it is a great place for a wedding:

SpringBreak2010178.jpg

If you have teen daughters, you have undoubtedly heard of the designer Vera Bradley. She owns a bed and breakfast Inn here:

SpringBreak2010187.jpg

I have reached the photo limit for this post.

Coming up . . .

some more shots from around Seaside.

TCD

Continuing our review of Seaside . . .

If bed and breakfasts are not your thing, there is also a good old motel with retro rooms. It would run you about two bills a night to stay here. Really not bad, considering the location:

SpringBreak2010189.jpg

In the center of town, there is a little commercial district with restaurants and shops. One thing that is amazing about 30A is that there isn't a McDonalds or BurgerKing. or any of the other ubiquitous fast food joints, anywhere along the entire 26 mile stretch. I don't know how they manage to keep the riff-raff out, but it makes it nice. A tourist town without the crap. Nice.

What you will find in the little towns along 30A are small, independent, local, businesses. There is a popular coffee shop here in Seaside:

SpringBreak2010192.jpg

And, as you would expect, there is a frozen yogurt shop:

SpringBreak2010194.jpg

By far, my favorite business in this town is a gourmet market called Modica Market. From what I understand, the market was opened by a fellow named Charles Modica, who originally operated a grocery store in Alabama. He and his family moved to Seaside 20 or so years ago, and opened this market.

At this point in my story I should mention that this was not my first visit to Seaside. In fact, the TCD gang has been visiting Seaside for years. We have rented houses in town, and spent weeks at a time over the past dozen or so summers. Maybe later, I'll post some photos from back in the day. The TCD twins were toddlers when we first stated visiting. Back then, Mr. Modica was in that market every single day. All day. He looks a bit like Santa, and the TCD girls thought he was the best. And he always spoke to the TCD girls. So, the TCD gang is friends with good old Mr. Modica. In fact, Mr. Modica gave us an account at the store. We don't use money there. They just keep track of our purchases when we visit, and we settle up on the last day of our trip. How's that for old-fashioned customer service. Unfortunately, Mr. Modica is no longer in the best of health, so he is only in the store on occasion. The store is now run by his son and daughter. They are great, too. Luckily, on this trip we got to see Mr. Modica. Of course, he fussed all over the girls about how much they have grown up and how pretty they are. The guy is a charmer.

Anyway, here's some shots of Modica Market:

First the outside:

SpringBreak2010197.jpg

SpringBreak2010198.jpg

SpringBreak2010199.jpg

Now, the inside. It is a cool place!:

SpringBreak2010200.jpg

SpringBreak2010201.jpg

SpringBreak2010202.jpg

SpringBreak2010203.jpg

SpringBreak2010204.jpg

SpringBreak2010205.jpg

SpringBreak2010206.jpg

If you watch The Truman Show movie, you will see Modica Market featured in a couple of scenes. And, Mr, Modica and his wife are even seen in one of the scenes shot in the market. Here is a tribute to the movie hanging on the wall:

SpringBreak2010208.jpg

If you have seen the movie, you will remember the ridiculous product placement that went on in the movie. In one of the scenes, a sign for Modica Market is displayed. This is the actual sign from the movie. If you remember, Truman's town was called Seahaven- and you will see that referenced on this sign:

SpringBreak2010210.jpg

One last shot from inside the market:

SpringBreak2010211.jpg

And, since you are reading along so diligently, let me give you a little tip on how you can look like a local instead of a tourist should you ever visit Seaside and Modica Market: Modica is pronounced mode-ick-ah. Not mod like Mod Squad. Mode, as in rhyming with road. You're welcome.

Not too far from Modica Market, you will find a store called Sundog Books. This place has managed to stay in business the entire time that we have visited Seaside. I don't know how, but they have. It is a good, old-fashioned, independent book store. It is just a delight to go in there and browse around. Upstairs, they sell CD's and records, and they have a coffee shop with free wireless internet. Yes, I said free. And, it works great. Here is Sundog Books:

SpringBreak2010214.jpg

SpringBreak2010215.jpg

The Seaside Bike Shop is right next to Sundog Books:

SpringBreak2010216.jpg

I'm not sure if you can read the prices here, but they charge $30 a day to rent a bike!:

SpringBreak2010231.jpg

Here is their inventory:

SpringBreak2010217.jpg

At thirty bucks a day, you would think that most of those bikes will sit there gathering dust most of the time. If you thought that you would be wrong. They routinely sell out. I wish I had a part of that action.

There is a great balcony on the second floor of Sundog Books where you can see things like this:

SpringBreak2010220.jpg

SpringBreak2010222.jpg

What we are looking at here is the retail area on the South side of 30A, and then you can see the beautiful Gulf there in the background. In the foreground of the first photo, you see a large, green, space. This is the Seaside Amphitheater. All summer long they have free concerts, plays, and even movies that they show here. That green space will be filled with people, and every parking space you see will be full.

Here is another shot looking toward 30A:

SpringBreak2010232.jpg

You can see there is some construction going on here. They are enlarging the amphitheater's stage. Also, do you see what appear to be a bunch of old Airstream trailers lined up along 30A? What could that possibly be?

You'll have to check back to find out.

TCD

Welcome back! :wave2: So glad to know that you and the family are all well.
Enjoying your trip report. :beach:

Welcome back! Cant wait till the next chapter.....:surfweb:

WELCOME BACK!! You had us worried. Soo glad to hear all are well and things are fine. :)

You know it sistah!

Poor campers just make me sick. Especially one's from Mass. They think they can just hang towels in trees and ruin the bark too. The Nerve I tell you. Not to mention they have no money either. Sickening.

Click here for my trailer mods that took 15 hours and 3 grand but saved me 50 cents.

Don't be a hate-ah - you know you love me even tho I'm po :thumbsup2

So glad to see you back!

And glad ya'll had a great time in my neck of the woods! We live right down 30A near Goatfeathers. Been there? Not much atmosphere(IMHO) but good food. How funny if I had run into ya'll somewhere...cause I would totally recognize your girls! I'd be like "Hey TCD family" and they be like :scared1:. Great trip report!

Note to everyone- As TCD says, SoWal (which stands for South Walton, the southern part of the county) is just a great place to live and of course visit. And Grayton SP is excellent! One of my favorites! But to those of you who want to give it a try, just know that they book up really quickly. And you have to go through the dreaded Reserve America...which I'm sure most of you are familiar with. And about the wonderful lack of fast food establishments...no drive throughs are allowed on Scenic Corridors. Thank GOD for strict zoning!:worship:

So great to hear from you. I agree with the feelings about the Fort. Our last trip just didn't feel right and I felt like Mickey had his hand not only in my back pocket but had the wire information for my bank accounts.

We are considering going to that part of FL for our next camping vacation. Your TR hits the nail on the head.

Hey, you talked me into a DCL cruise. I may just take your word for it on this and try it out as well.

Scot

Welcome back TCD!!!

Beautiful pictures!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter