TCD's Spring Break 2010 Trip Report

Let's see.

We have covered what lies to the East of Grayton Beach pretty well. In a bit we will take a look to the West.

But, for now, let's take a look around the park.

Grayton Beach is a State Park operated by the State of Florida. Florida keeps things pretty simple. If you want to visit the park, you pay an entry fee. Here, it is $5.00 a car load. You pay at a guard station as you enter the park. The fee is less if you enter on foot or bicycle. If you want to camp, reservations are made through reserveamerica.com.

This is the guard shack, where you check in and enter the park:

SpringBreak2010095.jpg

There isn't much to this park. It has a campground, and it has a beach. That's about it. There are also cabins available to rent, but those are actually on a completely separate piece of property about a mile to the West. The cabins have a separate beach access, so that area is not really a part of the park proper. The cabin area is closed off by an electric gate, and only registered cabin guests can go in there.

Here is a map of the campground:

GraytonBeachSPMap.jpg

As you can see, there are two loops. Up until last year (2009), the lower loop on this map, with 35 campsites, was the entire campground. In 2009, they added the second loop, which has about 23 campsites. The difference between the old loop and the new loop is that there are sewer connections at the sites on the new loop. Also, the new loop has a new, nicer, comfort station. But, as you will see, the new loop also has a lot less trees and privacy. And, the pads are gravel instead of sand.

For sake of comparison, the 100 loop at FW has 27 sites, and the 200 loop has 37. So, the entire Grayton Beach campground has less sites than the 100 and 200 loops at the Fort. And, that's the whole campground. So, we are dealing with a lot less people, noise and commotion. And, that's a good thing.

Let's take a look at the facilities.

This is the comfort station in the old loop. It sits in the middle of the loop, and there are multiple paths from and between the interior site in the loop which lead to it:

SpringBreak2010072.jpg

It looks kind of old and out of date. And it is.

This is the bulletin board with all of the rules. The rules tell us that we can have a golf cart, and it can be used on any of the roads, but it must be operated by a licensed driver. The rules also tell us the no alcoholic beverages are allowed in the park. Uh-oh. I didn't know about that rule. But, at the recycling bin, over 50% of the aluminum cans were beer cans, so it looks like this rule is not strictly enforced.

SpringBreak2010074.jpg

Here are some interior shots of the comfort station:

SpringBreak2010075.jpg

SpringBreak2010076.jpg

SpringBreak2010077.jpg

SpringBreak2010078.jpg

SpringBreak2010079.jpg

SpringBreak2010080.jpg

This is where things get a little scary.

This is one of the showers:

SpringBreak2010081.jpg

SpringBreak2010082.jpg

The latch on this shower door was broken. But a tent peg was provided so the door could be barred from intruding hillbillies and mutants, so no worries here:

SpringBreak2010083.jpg

Here I should say that I am not a person with high standards. But even too me, these showers were a little bit too gross. To this point, I have not developed a case of athlete's foot. But, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I caught something from those shower floors.

Here are the toilet facilities. They even have a stall #2:

SpringBreak2010084.jpg

For some reason, someone determined that it was essential for us to have Coca Cola products at our disposal, so here we have a small building and Coke machine for our camping enjoyment:

SpringBreak2010085.jpg

Here's how things look on the old loop. Very heavy vegetation between the sites, and lots of privacy and shade:

SpringBreak2010090.jpg

Here we are entering the new loop, where we will find lots of openness between the sites and almost no trees and shade:

SpringBreak2010091.jpg

SpringBreak2010096.jpg

SpringBreak2010097.jpg

SpringBreak2010098.jpg

SpringBreak2010099.jpg

SpringBreak2010100.jpg

SpringBreak2010101.jpg

SpringBreak2010102.jpg

Here is a shot of the back of the guard shack. As you can see, they sell ice and firewood here. The ice is $3.00 for a ten pound bag, and the firewood is $6.00 a bundle:

SpringBreak2010094.jpg

That's all for now.

But there is a lot more to come.

So, be sure to check back.

TCD

Continuing with our look around the campground, this is the view from our site, across to site 10, which has a beautiful view of Western Lake:

SpringBreak2010391.jpg

This is the building on the beach which houses the restrooms:

SpringBreak2010392.jpg

This is probably about a third of a mile from the campground.

One morning, it was cool and overcast, so we decided to head north on the beach to see if we could find if or where the lake connects with the gulf.

Here is one of the TCD twins as we were about to begin our hike;

SpringBreak2010393.jpg

And here is what we saw along the way.

To get to the point- we saw a lot of sand and water:

SpringBreak2010394.jpg

SpringBreak2010395.jpg

SpringBreak2010396.jpg

SpringBreak2010397.jpg

And, here we are at our destination- we have gone as far West as Western Lake will go:

SpringBreak2010398.jpg

SpringBreak2010399.jpg

The lake and the gulf were not connected on this visit. But, I understand that it does happen on occasion.

Also, you can see in the photos above that vehicles can drive on the beach here. But only those with a permit from the County. I assume that the permits are limited to residents. Later, I will show you where you can enter to drive on to the beach. But, I wouldn't do it unless you have four wheel drive and a permit.

Here's what you see when you enter the State Park from the West:

SpringBreak2010403.jpg

Later that day, we biked into Seaside for lunch at the Barefoot BBQ trailer:

Here are Mr. and Mrs. TCD enjoying a moment on the front porch of Sundog Books:

SpringBreak2010411.jpg

And here is the TCD gang enjoying our beverages at our table outside the BBQ trailer:

SpringBreak2010412.jpg

SpringBreak2010413.jpg

SpringBreak2010414.jpg

Don't worry about the beer in the TCD twin's hand there in the last photo. She'll be 15 next month.

Here is a nice shot of the beach at Seaside:

SpringBreak2010416.jpg

And this is a little play area outside of one of the stores:

SpringBreak2010421.jpg

After lunch, we headed back to camp to chill for a bit.

As I was lying in my hammock (I have to post a photo of that), I heard accordion music coming down the loop. What the heck? After it passed, one of my DD's came running back to tell me that a hippie with an accordion had just walked past our site. Well, I had heard the accordion, but I missed the hippie. I jumped on my bike to track this guy down. I had to make sure there wasn't a subversive group of hippies somewhere on our loop.

I found the hippie in his campsite, about a half dozen sites down from us. Notice the accordion laying there on the ground in these photos:

SpringBreak2010422.jpg

SpringBreak2010423.jpg

Have I missed something?

When did hippies start playing the accordion?

When I got back to my site, I was trying to decide what to do.

What if these hippies decided to take drugs and start murdering people for no reason?

It has happened before.

Well, as I sat there pondering my next move, guess who started back around the loop?:

SpringBreak2010424.jpg

SpringBreak2010425.jpg

SpringBreak2010426.jpg

Yep. It was the hippie. And his hippie chick. And his accordion. I told Mrs. TCD to start packing because we had to get out of the campground before it got dark and the rest of the hippies showed up. She told me to man-up. So, I had to sleep with one eye open all night. As you may have already guessed, it turned out that these were not the drug-taking murdering kind of hippies. They were the friendly accordion-playing type. So, it all turned out good in the end.

But, seriously, when did you ever hear of a hippie playing the accordion? I still think they were up to no good.

And, so, our evening ended uneventfully.

Here are some shots as the sun set on Grayton Beach State Park on the night of the 2010 Hippie Invasion:

SpringBreak2010429.jpg

SpringBreak2010430.jpg

SpringBreak2010427.jpg

That's it for this installment.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any more hippie photos to share.

But, we will be heading West along 30A soon.

TCD

Welcome back but I guess I need to say "Glad to meet you" first"! I'm new to the Disboards.

Thanks so much for posting this as we are headed on a 2 week trip in end of may/first of June to The Fort for a week and then to Topsail Hill state Park, which I believe is right down the road from where you were. I just put a thread over here a few days ago asking about Topsail and areas like Seaside! I'm now extremely excited to get there and check everything out!

Welcome back but I guess I need to say "Glad to meet you" first"! I'm new to the Disboards.

Thanks so much for posting this as we are headed on a 2 week trip in end of may/first of June to The Fort for a week and then to Topsail Hill state Park, which I believe is right down the road from where you were. I just put a thread over here a few days ago asking about Topsail and areas like Seaside! I'm now extremely excited to get there and check everything out!

In case you didn't pick up on it, I'm a big fan of Seaside.

Seaside is about 10 miles to the East of where you will be. The drive along 30A is one of the nicest there is anywhere.

I have two websites for you to check out: SoWal.com and Seasidefl.com. There are lots of FREE events scheduled just about every day in the little towns along 30A.

In Seaside, I recommend that you attend any event put on by the Seaside Rep Theater group. They usually put on a children's' play on a certain night during the summer months in the Seaside amphitheater. We are talking about a top notch production, but geared to kids. We have seen plays like Jack and the Beanstalk, The Velveteen Rabbit, and that kind of thing. There are also free concerts on Wednesday nights, and free movies shown on a big screen outside on Fridays. Down 30A a bit further is a new development called Alys (pronounced like Alice) Beach. I noticed during spring break that they were putting on a free play called Alys in Wonderland. It sounded cute. Just past that is Rosemary Beach, and they also have free children's activities. In between Alys Beach and Rosemary Beach, there is a small town called Seacrest Beach, there is a small shopping area there with outdoor fountains set up for kids to play in. All of this is free!

In Seaside, there's a shop called Fired Up! It's a paint your own pottery place. That used to be popular with my kids when they were younger, and I have quite the collection of hand-painted pottery to prove it.

Without a doubt, there is more to do on the stretch of 30A to the East of Topsail Hill, that you have no reason to venture into the more touristy areas of Destin and Sandestin. You will have just left the biggest tourist trap of them all. I say chill and stay on 30A.

TCD

Great pictures! Love the sunsets. We will definitely check out Grayton Beach for camping. Probably not this year- we have to go to Panama City Beach for a baseball tournament this summer (staying in a condo with other baseball families).
We tried Topsail Hill, but our site was less than desirable and I don't think I can convince the kids to go back. I can think of one reason to go towards Destin - the Donut Hole! We love that place for breakfast!

In case you didn't pick up on it, I'm a big fan of Seaside.

Seaside is about 10 miles to the East of where you will be. The drive along 30A is one of the nicest there is anywhere.

I have two websites for you to check out: SoWal.com and Seasidefl.com. There are lots of FREE events scheduled just about every day in the little towns along 30A.

In Seaside, I recommend that you attend any event put on by the Seaside Rep Theater group. They usually put on a children's' play on a certain night during the summer months in the Seaside amphitheater. We are talking about a top notch production, but geared to kids. We have seen plays like Jack and the Beanstalk, The Velveteen Rabbit, and that kind of thing. There are also free concerts on Wednesday nights, and free movies shown on a big screen outside on Fridays. Down 30A a bit further is a new development called Alys (pronounced like Alice) Beach. I noticed during spring break that they were putting on a free play called Alys in Wonderland. It sounded cute. Just past that is Rosemary Beach, and they also have free children's activities. In between Alys Beach and Rosemary Beach, there is a small town called Seacrest Beach, there is a small shopping area there with outdoor fountains set up for kids to play in. All of this is free!

In Seaside, there's a shop called Fired Up! It's a paint your own pottery place. That used to be popular with my kids when they were younger, and I have quite the collection of hand-painted pottery to prove it.

Without a doubt, there is more to do on the stretch of 30A to the East of Topsail Hill, that you have no reason to venture into the more touristy areas of Destin and Sandestin. You will have just left the biggest tourist trap of them all. I say chill and stay on 30A.

TCD

Thanks for all of the info! You and several others have given us quite a bit of things that I no longer feel we'll be bored after leaving The Fort! We actually visited Topsail a couple years ago but didn't venture out much into the area because we didn't really know what was there. I do remember driving thru Seaside and several of the other small towns on our way to Panama City Beach one day and saying how cute those towns looked! ( and I actually didn't like the "touristy Destin" area either and told DH that I never wanted to go back...reminded me of Myrtle Beach but on a smaller scale. Of course, he changed my mind and talked me into visiting the area again and I'm really glad we're going to!)

Can't wait to get back now!

Great pictures! Love the sunsets. We will definitely check out Grayton Beach for camping. Probably not this year- we have to go to Panama City Beach for a baseball tournament this summer (staying in a condo with other baseball families).
We tried Topsail Hill, but our site was less than desirable and I don't think I can convince the kids to go back. I can think of one reason to go towards Destin - the Donut Hole! We love that place for breakfast!

Have you been to PCB before? In the last couple of years they tore down the Miracle Strip and put up a place called Pier Park- it is a lot like City Walk at Universal or Downtown Disney. And they have a Margaritaville there. Very touristy, but nice.

As for breakfasts, I have always wanted to try the Donut Hole, but have not.

TCD's recommendations for best breakfasts on 30A:

1. A fresh muffin and coffee at Modica Market (I am also partial to the sausage biscuits).
2. Another Broken Egg in Grayton Beach - a great breakfast! And this is less than a half mile from Grayton Beach State Park.
3. Great Southern Cafe in Seaside- Try the Gouda cheese grits.

Also, I noticed that the Red Bar in Grayton now serves breakfast. I had every intention of going on this trip, but didn't make it.

So, you can go West to the Donut Hole if you feel you need to, but there is no shortage of good breakfast places near Grayton Beach.

Thanks for all of the info! You and several others have given us quite a bit of things that I no longer feel we'll be bored after leaving The Fort! We actually visited Topsail a couple years ago but didn't venture out much into the area because we didn't really know what was there. I do remember driving thru Seaside and several of the other small towns on our way to Panama City Beach one day and saying how cute those towns looked! ( and I actually didn't like the "touristy Destin" area either and told DH that I never wanted to go back...reminded me of Myrtle Beach but on a smaller scale. Of course, he changed my mind and talked me into visiting the area again and I'm really glad we're going to!)

Can't wait to get back now!

You will have plenty to do, don't worry about that.

If you are going to visit Seaside, get yourself a copy of the movie The Truman Show, and watch it before you go. It is fun to visit after watching the movie. You will be amazed at how many places you recognize.

TCD

Dangit, TCD.......now Im REALLY itchin for some Grayton Beach....Im going to have to save this thread on my hard drive to use as a tour guide!!! Seaside just seems like a little piece of relaxed heaven!! The beach is normally our "center of attention" on beach weeks...but not this time........Im anxious about cruising this little gem of a town!!

Dagnabbit! I just came rushing over here after getting an e-mail from PhotoBucket alerting me that TCD had posted new pictures. I thought I was going to have a scoop... TCD Lives! Then I get here, do a quick search to make sure the secret wasn't already out and... you've been posting for days and the thread has 5 pages!!! I really do need to check the community board more often. Oh well, I'm neither a reporter nor a spy, it seems.

So good to have you back. I was beginning to get a complex... you stopped posting right after we met. It was either that or you were dead, and I was figuring dead made more sense (narcissists, remember?). Welcome back my friend.

ShantaClausSm.png

TCD....your trip reports are one of the main reasons that I check the Camping Board on the Dis. I am glad that you have posted this last report as you have a knack for showing the rest of us places that might not be considered without your review and pictures.
I don't post much, just lurk, but I needed to tell you that you were missed.

Nancy

I know this is off topic...but I noticed the bike rack on your pop-up....is that something specific for popups? I need that for mine...can you give me any info?

[/URL]
I know this is off topic...but I noticed the bike rack on your pop-up....is that something specific for popups? I need that for mine...can you give me any info?

Rog, I have a very nice 4 place bike rack for a pop up. Call me or pm me and I'll send you a pic. It straps to the roof with 2 clips that the previous owner wouldn't take off so that's all it needs.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/bike-carriers/camper-rooftop-bike-carrier.htm

Rog the pic shown is what I have. If you want them let me know. My a/c is on the left side so they won't work.

Wow! I've never seen anything that cheap. Where did you find the info on that house? VRBO?

My father in law found it through a local real estate company, I believe. He handled the paperwork. We actually had 3 houses rented on the same street. All were right around the same price. It was a nice way to get the family together for Thanksgiving.

Here is a pic of the neighborhood.

DSC_0019.jpg

Great TR!

We head out Saturday morning for the DC area and this has inspired me to take lots of photos for a new trip report.

Thanks for feeding the obsession TCD! :banana:

Dangit, TCD.......now Im REALLY itchin for some Grayton Beach....Im going to have to save this thread on my hard drive to use as a tour guide!!! Seaside just seems like a little piece of relaxed heaven!! The beach is normally our "center of attention" on beach weeks...but not this time........Im anxious about cruising this little gem of a town!!

Just do it! This neck of the woods is very popular with the Louisiana crowd. In a little bit, I'll be reporting on a local watering hole where a lot of the famous N.O. folks hang out.

Dagnabbit! I just came rushing over here after getting an e-mail from PhotoBucket alerting me that TCD had posted new pictures. I thought I was going to have a scoop... TCD Lives! Then I get here, do a quick search to make sure the secret wasn't already out and... you've been posting for days and the thread has 5 pages!!! I really do need to check the community board more often. Oh well, I'm neither a reporter nor a spy, it seems.

So good to have you back. I was beginning to get a complex... you stopped posting right after we met. It was either that or you were dead, and I was figuring dead made more sense (narcissists, remember?). Welcome back my friend.

ShantaClausSm.png

Thank you, Shanta! Sorry to give you a complex. It wasn't you, it was me. Do I see a December '10 trip in your signature? I thought you were going pro next Christmas? Did you get a gig at WDW? If you are heading back, we will need to arrange a meet where we can chat longer.

TCD....your trip reports are one of the main reasons that I check the Camping Board on the Dis. I am glad that you have posted this last report as you have a knack for showing the rest of us places that might not be considered without your review and pictures.
I don't post much, just lurk, but I needed to tell you that you were missed.

Nancy

Thanks for coming out of lurk-dome to post! You shouldn't hesitate to join in on the discussions here in this part of the Disboards. The camping folks are the best!

There is no off-topic in a TCD trip report! My bike rack is a Yakima system. The cross bars were installed by the dealer when I bought the pop-up. It was one of the extras that got thrown in to sweeten the deal. This is a multi-use rack system. After you have the cross-bars, you then purchase additional hardware that is designed to clamp on to it. So, you can buy bike holders, cargo baskets, canoe and kayak holders, etc. IIRC, the bars themselves were not expensive. But, they do drill holes in the pop-up's roof to install them. I have never had a leak, or any problem from the rack. Where they make their money is on the dang individual pieces of hardware. I think the bike holders were about $100 each, so that bike rack system ended up being a bit of an investment. But, I have used it a lot, and it works great, and bikes are always a good thing to have when camping.

So, I endorse the Yakima system, but it looks like you got an offer you can't refuse from the Mayor, below. I would jump on that offer in a heartbeat!

[/URL]

Rog, I have a very nice 4 place bike rack for a pop up. Call me or pm me and I'll send you a pic. It straps to the roof with 2 clips that the previous owner wouldn't take off so that's all it needs.

Rog the pic shown is what I have. If you want them let me know. My a/c is on the left side so they won't work.

Wow! What a deal. This is why Donnie is the Mayor of the Fort, and why he will be Mayor for life.

My father in law found it through a local real estate company, I believe. He handled the paperwork. We actually had 3 houses rented on the same street. All were right around the same price. It was a nice way to get the family together for Thanksgiving.

Here is a pic of the neighborhood.

Looks great to me. I didn't know there were that big of discounts in the off season. We have talked about going for Thanksgiving before. I have heard from more than one local that it is a great time of year weather-wise.

Great TR!

We head out Saturday morning for the DC area and this has inspired me to take lots of photos for a new trip report.

Thanks for feeding the obsession TCD! :banana:

Do it, Dan. You know how folks around here (myself included) love a good trip report. So, take a lot of photos and share them when you get back.

TCD

Thank you, Shanta! Sorry to give you a complex. It wasn't you, it was me. Do I see a December '10 trip in your signature? I thought you were going pro next Christmas? Did you get a gig at WDW? If you are heading back, we will need to arrange a meet where we can chat longer.

No, that counter is just days until Christmas, not days until Christmas at the Fort... though I guess Christmas is on the same day, even if you're at the Fort. Hmmm? Anyhoo, we don't have another Fort trip planned yet. It will probably be F&G 2011, or F&W (prefer 2010, but 2011 would be more likely). All of which is an awful long time away. But I totally agree, next time we need to at least hang out long enough to share a beer (if not a 6 pack)!

ShantaClausSm.png

Before we venture out again away from the campground, let's take a look at the comfort station on the new loop. I already posted some photos of the old loop's comfort station. It is clean and functional, but it is a little rough.

The new loop, however, has a brand spankin' new comfort station. And it is nice.

Here are some of my tax dollars at work:

I know it is probably considered bad form to post a photo of a urinal, but you have to see this:

SpringBreak2010631.jpg

Have you ever seen such a thing? This looks like something off of the space shuttle or something.

Some more new comfort station photos:

SpringBreak2010632.jpg

SpringBreak2010633.jpg

SpringBreak2010634.jpg

SpringBreak2010635.jpg

Pretty nice, ain't it?

It looked like it was decorated by one of Saddam Hussein's decorators from back in the day. Like a palace.

Outside, there is a pay washer and two dryers (that's it for the whole campground) and a companion restroom with a private entrance and shower:

SpringBreak2010092.jpg

Note- a load of wash is $1.00, and a cycle of the dryer costs the same. Take that WDW!

Here are some shots of the companion restroom:

SpringBreak2010093.jpg

SpringBreak2010637.jpg

SpringBreak2010638.jpg

SpringBreak2010640.jpg

SpringBreak2010641.jpg

Here's a few more shots of some of the campsites on the new loop:

SpringBreak2010643.jpg

SpringBreak2010644.jpg

SpringBreak2010645.jpg

I did say we were going to head West and take a look around, right?

So, let's go.

You will never believe what is sitting less than a half mile to the West of the park entrance:

SpringBreak2010110.jpg

A Starbucks!

Who would have thought?

I am not a big fan of Starbucks. I think it's ridiculous to pay $4 for a cup of coffee. But, my kids love Starbucks, and as much as I hate to admit it, I do patronize the one near our home. We do buy ground coffee there to make at home. All kidding aside, it is nice to have this here. We are talking about less than a five minute bike ride from your campsite to the Starbucks. Who wouldn't like to sit in a comfortable chair outside and watch the world go by?

This shopping center is also where you will find a restaurant by the name of Another Broken Egg. Breakfast is their thing. And they do it great. We try to always hit it when we are here. You should, too.

Continuing on about another quarter mile, you will come to the Grayton Beach General Store. This is less than a 10 minute bike ride from the park:

SpringBreak2010108.jpg

SpringBreak2010107.jpg

This is a pretty good-sized store, and the folks who work here are as nice as can be. The sell sandwiches and such, and there is a picnic table right outside if you want to sit and take a rest for a while. If you like fish spread, you can pick up a container of Smoked Tuna Spread here. Try it- you will thank me later.

If you take a left at the General Store, and head South toward the gulf, in another couple of minutes, you will be in the town of Grayton Beach. I love this place. This is a real honest-to-goodness beach town. It is quiet and laid back. It is off the beaten path. This is a place mostly for locals. Seaside is nice, but it has a fake vibe. Seaside was basically created out of nothing in the late 80's. The town of Grayton Beach has been around a lot longer than that, and it has a great vibe. I would compare it to the older parts of Key West or Cedar Key- but its a lot smaller- even than Cedar Key.

Here are some shots from the town of Grayton Beach:

SpringBreak2010447.jpg

SpringBreak2010446.jpg

SpringBreak2010450.jpg

SpringBreak2010452.jpg

SpringBreak2010453.jpg

SpringBreak2010454.jpg

If you look at the photos above, you will see the Red Bar. This is more or less a local hangout. They serve great food here. The dinners are a bit on the fancy and expensive side, but the lunch menu has cheeseburgers and grouper sandwiches and such. They also are now serving breakfast. I recommend that you hit this place for lunch or breakfast. And, I'm sure the dinner food is great, too, but it is more fine dining than it is beach food. This place also is famous for having live music. And, this is the place I mentioned earlier where celeb's hang out when they are in town. They have had famous patrons like Sheryl Crow, Lance Armstrong, Payton and Eli Manning (and their dad, Archie, too), Jessica Simpson and Tony Romo, Sean Peyton, and Drew Brees.

Right around the corner is one of the beach access spots for vehicles. Like I said earlier, you have to have a permit to drive on the beach. But no one is there to stop you:

SpringBreak2010455.jpg

SpringBreak2010456.jpg

TCD

Apparently, I joined the DB during your hiatus. From what I hear your reports are LEGENDARY. Now I see why! DH and I got a brochure for Grayton Beach a while back, but it wasn't enough info to chance such a long drive. Thanks for the TR. You've convinced me! Looks Great! :thumbsup2

Have you been to PCB before? In the last couple of years they tore down the Miracle Strip and put up a place called Pier Park- it is a lot like City Walk at Universal or Downtown Disney. And they have a Margaritaville there. Very touristy, but nice.

TCD

I have been to PCB many times (I am from Atlanta and PCB is the Redneck Riviera, you know -it is the traditional place to go after high school graduation). I have been mostly for day trips when we stayed on St. George Island for family vacations, but I have not been there since the hurricane that wiped out the beach. Everyone tells me it is different now, so I am looking forward to it.

Thanks for this report! It is nice to see other campgrounds and places to visit. It is useful info, too, since my older two kids are not as thrilled with Disney as they used to be. I think we will be exploring other places, although we will continue to go to Disney for DD6.

Apparently, I joined the DB during your hiatus. From what I hear your reports are LEGENDARY. Now I see why! DH and I got a brochure for Grayton Beach a while back, but it wasn't enough info to chance such a long drive. Thanks for the TR. You've convinced me! Looks Great! :thumbsup2

I was showing my g/f TCD's report and she said she would like to visit there as well. The town looks really nice plus we enjoy biking and kayaking.

Did you do any cooking Andrew? The market looks great and a place we'd like to visit. Would you have preferred the new loop? Is there any plans on refurbing the old comfort station?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter