• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

TCD's Spring Break 2010 Trip Report

No, that counter is just days until Christmas, not days until Christmas at the Fort... though I guess Christmas is on the same day, even if you're at the Fort. Hmmm? Anyhoo, we don't have another Fort trip planned yet. It will probably be F&G 2011, or F&W (prefer 2010, but 2011 would be more likely). All of which is an awful long time away. But I totally agree, next time we need to at least hang out long enough to share a beer (if not a 6 pack)!

ShantaClausSm.png

OK- You let me know when you are coming, and I'll work out a visit.

Apparently, I joined the DB during your hiatus. From what I hear your reports are LEGENDARY. Now I see why! DH and I got a brochure for Grayton Beach a while back, but it wasn't enough info to chance such a long drive. Thanks for the TR. You've convinced me! Looks Great! :thumbsup2

Thanks, and welcome to the Disboards!

I was showing my g/f TCD's report and she said she would like to visit there as well. The town looks really nice plus we enjoy biking and kayaking.

Did you do any cooking Andrew? The market looks great and a place we'd like to visit. Would you have preferred the new loop? Is there any plans on refurbing the old comfort station?

Donnie- If you like biking and kayaking this is your place. I notice many campers who brought their own kayaks. You could put them in right there at the campground. Western Lake is pretty big, and it looks like there is plenty to see. Also, there is this activity called YOLO Boarding (google it!) that started up around here. It is stand-up paddle-boarding. It is a big fad here, and a lot of folks YOLO Board on Western Lake.

I did a bit of cooking, mostly for breakfast. I think we ate dinner at the site maybe three times in the eight nights we were there, the rest of the time we were visiting our favorite places, and we even missed some. If you want to cook though, I should mention that there is a gorgeous, new Publix about three miles from the park. I have a photo of it, which I will post later.

I like the old loop better than the new loop. The new loop is too open, and all of the sites (except the handicap accessible ones) are gravel, not sand. But, the old loop would be a challenge for folks with big rigs who don't drive as well as you.

Given the state of the state budget in Florida, I would be surprised if they will be upgrading the old loop comfort station any time soon, but it is functional. And, there is no restriction on using the new loop comfort station. Since most of the folks on the new loop have big rigs and are connected to the sewer, the new loop comfort station was usually less crowded anyway.

TCD

p.s. to those of you reading along, I will be busy for the next few days and probably will not be posting again until next week. It has nothing to do with you. Really. And, I don't plan on dying. So go back and read all of the text (I know most of you just look at the pictures, and if this applies to you, your are missing the best part). I'll be back on-line next week, and we will pick it up from there.
I promise.

p.s. to those of you reading along, I will be busy for the next few days and probably will not be posting again until next week. It has nothing to do with you. Really. And, I don't plan on dying.
I promise.

In my best Mom voice.
See,was that so hard? All we want to know is that you're safe. :rotfl2:

It is not uncommon for me to laugh or chuckle to myself when reading the DIS. But I very rarely will actually laugh out loud. I mean like LOUD, where my wife asks me what's up. But seriously...accordian playing hippies??? That, my friend, was a LOL inducing line!

It even deserves one of these guys....:lmao:

Which technically isn't an "LOL"...but rather a "LMAO". So that may not be quite accurate, as I just checked and I did not actually laugh my a$$ off. It's still there.

But the accordian playing hippies was hilarious!

I agree...I had to call my daughter in for the "murderous hippie clan" portion and read it in ultra dramatic 1940s "who dunit" style dialogue!!! We both were laughing pretty hystericly!

So great to hear from you. I agree with the feelings about the Fort. Our last trip just didn't feel right and I felt like Mickey had his hand not only in my back pocket but had the wire information for my bank accounts.

We are considering going to that part of FL for our next camping vacation. Your TR hits the nail on the head.

Hey, you talked me into a DCL cruise. I may just take your word for it on this and try it out as well.

Scot

Beautiful Pictures but 200 for a motel room and 30 bucks a day for a bike sounds a lot like Disney prices to me.

TCD....did my eyes deceive me or did I see you in the 1500 loop at the Fort this weekend? We were in 1511 and I could have sworn I saw you and one of your DD riding bikes through the loop, I was going to talk to you next time I saw you but we had to leave this morning due to a death in the family.

Oh, and glad to see you back on the DIS.

I agree...I had to call my daughter in for the "murderous hippie clan" portion and read it in ultra dramatic 1940s "who dunit" style dialogue!!! We both were laughing pretty hystericly!

:rotfl2: I agree too! The murderous hippie clan bit was a killer....:lmao:

We will all be patiently waiting.;)

As luck would have it, it looks like your patience will be rewarded. It looks like I have a bit of time to squeeze in another chapter tonight.

In my best Mom voice.
See,was that so hard? All we want to know is that you're safe. :rotfl2:

Classic. It sounds like you had a lot of practice with that one. You probably have used it on Frank plenty of times, too.

It is not uncommon for me to laugh or chuckle to myself when reading the DIS. But I very rarely will actually laugh out loud. I mean like LOUD, where my wife asks me what's up. But seriously...accordian playing hippies??? That, my friend, was a LOL inducing line!

It even deserves one of these guys....:lmao:

Which technically isn't an "LOL"...but rather a "LMAO". So that may not be quite accurate, as I just checked and I did not actually laugh my a$$ off. It's still there.

But the accordian playing hippies was hilarious!

You have a weird sense of humor, Dave. I did not intend that to be funny at all. Have you ever heard of a guy named CHARLES MANSON? You never know what one of those hippies might do.

Again, you are missing the point. How can you all laugh about hippies?

:rotfl2: I agree too! The murderous hippie clan bit was a killer....:lmao:

Good grief! I really hope none of you run into an accordion-playing hippie. If you don't watch out, the next thing you know, it'll all be over.

Beautiful Pictures but 200 for a motel room and 30 bucks a day for a bike sounds a lot like Disney prices to me.

Actually, Disney is probably cheaper than Seaside. But, Grayton Beach State Park is way, way cheaper than Fort Wilderness.

TCD....did my eyes deceive me or did I see you in the 1500 loop at the Fort this weekend? We were in 1511 and I could have sworn I saw you and one of your DD riding bikes through the loop, I was going to talk to you next time I saw you but we had to leave this morning due to a death in the family.

Oh, and glad to see you back on the DIS.

Wow. Busted! I told you all that I was going to be away for a couple of days. I just left out the part that we are at the Fort. In fact, I am typing this from my site in the 1500 loop, using the simple and convenient internet kit. Not to worry, there will be a TCD Fort Wilderness trip report to follow. And, again not to worry, I have plenty to report. Like some changes in the old River Country area, and the construction of the Calliope display in the horse barn, and where I found some intact rails from the FW railroad, and some other changes that have occurred since my last visit. Check the main camping board later in the week.

And, I am sorry that you had to cut your trip short. That is never a good thing.

TCD

You know something that I really liked about the campground? The "grills" were really fire rings, so you could have a campfire at your site. I know you can get a portable fire ring and bring it to the Fort, but it was nice to have a fire ring at the campsite, and fire wood for sale at the guard shack. The nights were cool on this trip, so we had several fires:

SpringBreak2010444.jpg

And, of course, there was no cable. I had purchased a digital converter and a digital antenna for the little TV that we take along when we camp. With a lot of effort and adjusting, we got get an ABC station from Dothan, AL, and a CBS station from Panama City, but that was it. So we watched almost no TV on this trip. That was such a nice thing for the family.

I biked to Seaside from the campground almost every morning. I snapped these photos of Western Lake from 30A on my way in one morning:

SpringBreak2010490.jpg

SpringBreak2010491.jpg

I think I already mentioned how fascinated I was by this stand of pine trees. They were so tall, and thin, and very near the gulf. Somehow, they have grown straight and tall despite storms, including hurricanes, which have blown through here in the recent past:

SpringBreak2010492.jpg

As I was gazing across the lake at these majestic pines, I noticed a very large bird soar across the lake and land in one of the trees. Here he is:

SpringBreak2010494.jpg

Let me help you:

SpringBreak2010495.jpg

I am almost certain this was a bald eagle. If you google bald eagle and Grayton Beach, you will find an article and a video that someone recently posted about bald eagles at Grayton Beach. I think I spotted one!

Some more photos from my ride:

SpringBreak2010496.jpg

SpringBreak2010502.jpg

SpringBreak2010498.jpg

Here are some shots from around Seaside:

SpringBreak2010506.jpg

This gazebo is another Seaside icon. There is a chase scene in The Truman Show where Truman drives around this gazebo:

SpringBreak2010507.jpg

SpringBreak2010508.jpg

SpringBreak2010509.jpg

SpringBreak2010510.jpg

SpringBreak2010511.jpg

SpringBreak2010512.jpg

SpringBreak2010513.jpg

SpringBreak2010514.jpg

SpringBreak2010515.jpg

SpringBreak2010516.jpg

Here are some shots of the beach at Seaside:

SpringBreak2010517.jpg

SpringBreak2010518.jpg

And, finally some shots from the way back to the campground:

SpringBreak2010479.jpg

SpringBreak2010481.jpg

SpringBreak2010503.jpg

Thanks for reading along . . .

TCD

You have a weird sense of humor, Dave. I did not intend that to be funny at all. Have you ever heard of a guy named CHARLES MANSON?

No, does he have a show on Comedy Central? I'll have to check it out sometime.

Keep the report coming! popcorn::

No, does he have a show on Comedy Central? I'll have to check it out sometime.

Keep the report coming! popcorn::

:lmao: Looks like the accordian playing hippies are a hit, (not the murdering kind).:lmao: Sorry TCD...too hard to resist.

Seriously, I love the bald eagle sighting! :thumbsup2 All we see around here is the occasional hawk or buzzard.

Wow. Busted! I told you all that I was going to be away for a couple of days. I just left out the part that we are at the Fort. In fact, I am typing this from my site in the 1500 loop, using the simple and convenient internet kit. Not to worry, there will be a TCD Fort Wilderness trip report to follow. And, again not to worry, I have plenty to report. Like some changes in the old River Country area, and the construction of the Calliope display in the horse barn, and where I found some intact rails from the FW railroad, and some other changes that have occurred since my last visit. Check the main camping board later in the week.

And, I am sorry that you had to cut your trip short. That is never a good thing.

TCD

Sorry TCD, I didn't mean to blow your cover. On Friday evening when you and your DD rode your bikes past me on the 1500 loop I couldn't believe my eyes. My family really enjoys your trip reports and when I told them I had seen you they didn't believe me so I just had to ask you so I could prove it to them.

A TCD sighting is right up there with a Bald Eagle or UFO sighting, very rare and hard to believe!!!!:)

Rog...that is so true, in all my trips to the fort this was the first time I saw TCD, now Stacktester is a different story, but you know this was the first trip since 2007 that I didn't see Stacktester....hhhhmmm.

Rog...that is so true, in all my trips to the fort this was the first time I saw TCD, now Stacktester is a different story, but you know this was the first trip since 2007 that I didn't see Stacktester....hhhhmmm.

Will work for a campsite lol.

Grayton Beach State Park has a number of trails available for hiking or biking. Down at the beach area, there is a walking trail that takes you some of the unique areas of the ecosystem. Remember that stand of tall, thin, pine trees that we looked at just a bit ago? Where we saw the bald eagle? The beach trail takes you right through them. Along the trail, there are information signs describing some of the features of the ecosystem, and some of the wildlife that you can see in the park. This particular trail takes about a half-hour to walk. It is has some small hills, but otherwise, it is an easy walk.

This is where the trail starts:

SpringBreak2010524.jpg

From the starting point, you head off toward the dunes:

SpringBreak2010525.jpg

This is an old, gnarled, tree. The informative sign here tells us that a lot of the landscape here is influenced by the winds that come off of the Gulf:

SpringBreak2010527.jpg

From here, you actually head up into a small grove of Oak trees growing on one of the dunes:

SpringBreak2010528.jpg

This is a unique experience, because everywhere you look around these parts, there are signs saying to keep of the dunes. From what I hear, there used to be dunes like these all around the Gulf coast of Florida, but developers have removed most of them. The ones that remain are fiercely protected.

Here we are in the Oak grove, up on one of the dunes. The canopy overhead is almost complete. It is a neat place, and there is a bench here where you can sit and reflect on this beauty:

SpringBreak2010530.jpg

There is an inspirational message provided here for your enjoyment:

SpringBreak2010533.jpg

SpringBreak2010534.jpg

Hmmm. A prayer. On State property. Don’t tell anyone about this.

Here we are walking along some more of the dune part of the trail:

SpringBreak2010535.jpg

SpringBreak2010536.jpg

After walking through the dunes, the trail turns off toward Western Lake, and you will walk along the lake for a bit:

SpringBreak2010539.jpg

SpringBreak2010546.jpg

That smoke off in the distance is from a prescribed burn. Apparently, before summer hits, the park rangers intentionally start fires to burn off some of the brush. This is a preventive measure to remove combustible materials from the forest and prevent forest fires.

Here is a look back toward the dunes from this side of the lake:

SpringBreak2010548.jpg

From here, we approach the pine flats area of the trail:
SpringBreak2010549.jpg

This area is swampy. A lot of the trail here is covered by boardwalks:

SpringBreak2010551.jpg

Here we walk right up to and under the pines:

SpringBreak2010552.jpg

SpringBreak2010553.jpg

Here is a look across the lake from the stand of pines:

SpringBreak2010555.jpg

This is the boardwalk:

SpringBreak2010556.jpg

The boardwalk takes us right under the pines:

SpringBreak2010557.jpg

SpringBreak2010558.jpg

The trail continues to head into the pines. The trail loops right behind some of the houses built on the South side of 30A in Watercolor:

SpringBreak2010570.jpg

This is one of the information signs along the trail. This one tells us about the turpentine industry. This is of interest to me, as Mrs. TCD’s ancestors were in the turpentine business, which brought them to Florida as early settlers:

SpringBreak2010576.jpg

As the trail heads toward the Gulf, you can see the Watercolor Inn:

SpringBreak2010580.jpg

This is where the trail turns back to the starting point, but it looks like if you wanted to, you could walk all the way to the Watercolor Inn from here.

The way back follows a different path, but the scenery is pretty much a repeat of what you have already seen:

SpringBreak2010582.jpg

SpringBreak2010585.jpg

You then end up where you started.

The sign at the beginning of the trail says it takes 45 minutes to walk, but it only took me about a half an hour, and I was not walking fast at all. If you come to Grayton Beach, I recommend that you hike this trail. And if you have kids, bring them too, the signs along the trail are interesting and informative.

TCD

I always find that a parks nature trails are the best thing a park has to offer. I only recently started taking the hikes since Ive lost some weight, just physically couldnt do it before......I had no idea what I had been missing out on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter