The Dis Goes to Italy 5/24 - 6/1/2012 Viva Italia!!!!

Hoping you all are far far away from the earthquake and it is not affecting your trip. Positive thoughts!

Hoping you all are far far away from the earthquake and it is not affecting your trip. Positive thoughts!

We didn't feel it. All here are fine.
We are at the botton of the map, at the blue flags. The seismic activity is around the red star.
38e715bf.jpg

Finally got a photo of the Villa next to where we are staying.
e96e6da9.jpg

Saw the news over here this morning and I am glad to read that everyone is ok. I hope the aftershocks and other tremors don't affect the rest of your journey.

Enjoy the last half of your adventure!!!

You cant take phots of the David so to make up for it, the Acadamei has put up a replica in a courtyard. Since it is anatomically, correct, here is a link.
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww143/jcburgin/ABD-Italy/b75b1789.jpg
It is the end of civilization in my view.

Well ....I'm glad to say I missed that replica when we were at the Accademia -it looks like one by Hans-Peter Feldmann(may be the same one). Not sure of the significance ..a little strange. Obviously, the other(more important) replica is found in the Piazza della Signoria -this stands in the same spot as the original before it was moved in the 1870's.

At the Florence train station.
e6860414.jpg

The first class ticket gets us a seat on the floor in the main terminal, but the floor is clean. I'm not complaining, it is cooler than last year when i was sitting in Penn Station without air conditioning. At least we can see the trains and the departure board.
d40b91a9.jpg

We are taking Eurostar to Venice. This isn't our train, but it should be similar to the one we are taking.
1ac333e9.jpg

Our train leaves at 11:25, scheduled to arrive at 1:30 pm, local time, of course. Marco told us the earthquake has lowered the speed limit so we may be late. Seeing one of the high-speed trains zip by the countryside is quite a sight, especially for a train enthusiast like me.

Marco is making sure everyone is comfortable and happy with their seat.
f1cb644b.jpg

And yes, there are power outlets on the train!!!!!

Jack taking the picture above with his Ipad...

532991_3600521805190_1037886510_3242773_1236337020_n.jpg

...picture is courtesy of Christy

The Train Station in Venice onto a piazza next to the Grand Canal. The San Simeone Piccolo is directly across from the train station.
992e6008.jpg

We walked a short distance, stopping to take some photos,
cec7c507.jpg

to our private gondolas.
be81e79f.jpg

No one fell in the water.
All during the ride, I kept thinking, this is a dream. Fortunately, I have more photos to prove it was real.
9d52c111.jpg

c26f9051.jpg

After the Gondola ride, we walked through Venice toward St. Mark's Square.

Venice, we learned today, has its own leaning tower.
5015b036.jpg

St. Mark's Basilica is breath-taking, even if part of it was covered up in "scrim."
74b14736.jpg

This is the "main portal" (which is the best description I could find) to the Basilica. This isn't a painting, it is a mosaic.
111f90fb.jpg

It was hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea that this building dates back to the 11th Century (St. Mark's itself dates to the 9th Century). While no tuba concerto composers are buried here (so far as I know), St. Mark's nonetheless has a rich musical history. The Basilica's website explains:
At the second half of the 16th century a new musical thought evolved leading to a radical change that influenced the centuries that followed.
In the period when the greatest Renaissance composers actively took part in the Chapel's life (Willaert, Merulo, Andrea and Giovanni Gabrieli, and Monteverdi), "broken choirs", echo sonatas - the instrumental parts with melodic lines not the same as the choral lines - were born in the Basilica, a new way of connecting music and word defines and with the aid of new instrumental techniques a new conception of the sound evolves.
Any visitor to EPCOT will recognize St. Mark's Campanile (bell tower)
df1c5ddf.jpg

and the Doge's Palace
bcc06f6d.jpg

but seeing the "real" ones were still wonderful.

Later in the evening, we walked along the waterfront near St. Mark's. The Church of San Giorgio Maggiore lies on an island across the the Canale delle Grazie. At sunset the white marble facade glows (though I'm not all that happy with the photo).
97a556a8.jpg

Marco is making sure everyone is comfortable and happy with their seat.
f1cb644b.jpg

And yes, there are power outlets on the train!!!!!

But does it use French plugs? :rotfl2:

Hey, that train ride looks familiar! And I was SO READY with my plug adapters for the train outlets! I was charging my phone on our train ride to Paris, Mike. :laughing:

Jack taking the picture above with his Ipad...

532991_3600521805190_1037886510_3242773_1236337020_n.jpg

...picture is courtesy of Christy

LOL Christy! Love that you have the reciprocating shot of Jack!

It's been a great trip...I don't want to leave but here I am waiting for a flight back to the States...

We are at the Venice train station, waiting on our train to Milan, and then on to Lugano. We just said goodbye to Marco, who is taking a train home, so he rode on the water taxi here.

I'm sorry for the absence of photos but Internet coverage has been pretty spotty in Venice and the hotel's prices for Wi/fi were insane, more on that later, when I have a full keyboard.

While, as Pete said on the podcast (to which I have only partly listened) there are "opportunities", our guides couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. As you can imagine, this group put them through an experience and a half.

Having to look out for ourselves the next few days will be an adjustment. Today, fitting the mood, is a grey overcast day; it is very humid.

The weather on this trip could not have been better, a bit warm at times, but I will take that over cold and rainy. I hope it clears up for those who are Staying in Venice for a few more days.

I'm really back home...I've been doing nothing but laundry all day. Someone please take me back to Italy...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter