The Dis Goes to Italy 5/24 - 6/1/2012 Viva Italia!!!!

Glad to see everyone's been getting home safe - us too, safe but sad :sad1:. I tried hiding behind a pillar in St Mark's Square when our water taxi was on the way, but Adam found me.

We were impressed with the airport (not so much with the scary, orange guardian of the bag drop counter), some good shopping - we had time to pick up bottles of strawberry bellini and some muscato...maybe I can get him to reenact the proposal toast in Italian at some point!

London welcomed us with wind and rain and we've been celebrating the Queen's jubilee along with our engagement ever since. We garden partied yesterday despite the weather - her Majesty's little firework display wasn't so bad after all - and today we had afternoon tea (cucumber in the sandwiches? clotted cream on the scones? corgis on the cake? check, check, and check).

Now we just have to work out how to squeeze another visit to Venice, a Disney trip, and a honeymoon into 2013! Oh, and plan a Venice/Disney themed wedding.

Thank you all so much for the surprise (especially to Kevin, Adam's co-conspirator!) and for letting us join you for dinner...it was the cherry on top of our engagement cake (I have cake on the brain, don't I?). We really enjoyed getting to know those of you who stayed on a few days and our morning spent wandering the streets of Venice after the sunflower.

Roll on October.

We have many memories to sort through. Switzerland, which at first seemed like it was a mistake, turned into a breath-taking experience. I don't think I have taken as many photos in one day as I did on Saturday. We topped it off with authentic Swiss cheese fondue, which was so good, we didn't get the chocolate fondue!

If you have any nice shots of the Lugano portion of your trip, please post them. My family is from there and I would love to see some pictures. Glad to hear you got to spend some time there.

If you have any nice shots of the Lugano portion of your trip, please post them. My family is from there and I would love to see some pictures. Glad to hear you got to spend some time there.

Sorry, we passed through Lugano on the way to Lauterbrunnen but didn't get any photos. We drove a little before getting our bearings (i.e., we got turned around) but what we saw was beautiful.

Glad to see everyone's been getting home safe - us too, safe but sad :sad1:. I tried hiding behind a pillar in St Mark's Square when our water taxi was on the way, but Adam found me.

We were impressed with the airport (not so much with the scary, orange guardian of the bag drop counter), some good shopping - we had time to pick up bottles of strawberry bellini and some muscato...maybe I can get him to reenact the proposal toast in Italian at some point!

London welcomed us with wind and rain and we've been celebrating the Queen's jubilee along with our engagement ever since. We garden partied yesterday despite the weather - her Majesty's little firework display wasn't so bad after all - and today we had afternoon tea (cucumber in the sandwiches? clotted cream on the scones? corgis on the cake? check, check, and check).

Now we just have to work out how to squeeze another visit to Venice, a Disney trip, and a honeymoon into 2013! Oh, and plan a Venice/Disney themed wedding.

Thank you all so much for the surprise (especially to Kevin, Adam's co-conspirator!) and for letting us join you for dinner...it was the cherry on top of our engagement cake (I have cake on the brain, don't I?). We really enjoyed getting to know those of you who stayed on a few days and our morning spent wandering the streets of Venice after the sunflower.

Roll on October.

It was fantastic to share your special weekend with you! We of course expect to see wedding pictures to see how it all turns out. :thumbsup2.

Thanks to Matt for the sunflower - one of my favorite souvenirs of the trip. :goodvibes
I'm thinking of starting a walking tour company that specializes in visiting things that are closed. :rolleyes1

It's been 52 and raining in Seattle most of the time since I returned home, sigh. It's not unusual for this time of year, but seems rather shocking after being immersed in summer.

I'm modeling in a trash fashion show this weekend and have some fittings and rehearsals the next few nights, followed by two shows, so that is a bit of fun to ease the return to work.

I will be updating the posts I made during the trip with the photos I took but didn't upload while in Europe. (I would love to do a full blown day by day trip report but that just isn't going to happen in my lifetime.)

I've updated this post with photos of our hotel room in Rome.

I've added more photos of the Forum and Coliseum at http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=44985644&postcount=694

It's funny how different all the rooms were in Rome. My room looked nothing like that. My room had carpet and just plain tan walls...with different bedding and furniture.

I will be updating the posts I made during the trip with the photos I took but didn't upload while in Europe. (I would love to do a full blown day by day trip report but that just isn't going to happen in my lifetime.)

I've updated this post with photos of our hotel room in Rome.

I've added more photos of the Forum and Coliseum at http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=44985644&postcount=694
Love the pictures, Jack! The hotel room looks so serene & calming. I like it!

I thought it was so crazy that the Coliseum just sits there by the side of a major road! We were walking up the sidewalk on that road, rounded a curve, and *boom*! There's the Coliseum, just sitting there. I can't imagine living in a place where something like that is just a common sight, probably ignored after a while!

Sayhello

Love the pictures, Jack! The hotel room looks so serene & calming. I like it!

I thought it was so crazy that the Coliseum just sits there by the side of a major road! We were walking up the sidewalk on that road, rounded a curve, and *boom*! There's the Coliseum, just sitting there. I can't imagine living in a place where something like that is just a common sight, probably ignored after a while!

Sayhello

The proximity of the Coliseum to the "real work" struck me as well. I get having tourist stands near public places, but the ones next to the Coliseum just struck me as ironic.
10192f47.jpg

I've added a couple of photos to Day 2 - walking in Rome.

Am I the only one still getting my butt kicked by the Jet Lag?? I can't get my sleep back on track at all and feel like I am drugged most of the day.

But it is worth it--what a trip!!

Am I the only one still getting my butt kicked by the Jet Lag?? I can't get my sleep back on track at all and feel like I am drugged most of the day.

No. Even my toes are jet lagged. I started fading at 4 pm today and it has been downhill ever since.

Kicked and double-kicked! Going east is so easy and getting back on schedule going west takes a day for every hour of time zone difference. I am dead sleepy and wide awake at wildly inappropriate times. There will be a few days coming up where I am like a morning person, always interesting for a night owl like me.

And it it so, so worth it!

Still jet lagged here....I start to fade about 6:00 p.m. I've been having to force myself to stay up later.

Am I the only one waking up and wondering when the trays of croissants are going to arrive?

Eating breakfast with just the two of us seems less exciting.

All 24 of you are invited for breakfast.

We'll supply the croissants and prosciutto!

I'm at Dunkin Donuts. It just isn't the same as the buffet. At some point we will have to go to the grocery.

Am I the only one waking up and wondering when the trays of croissants are going to arrive?

I no longer know what to do with a meal that doesn't include prosciutto. :confused3

I bought a salad yesterday. It was so wonderful to have my ranch dressing --but the tomoatoes were not nearly as good!!

I miss Italy and always having a group of friends with me everywhere I go!!

Still jet lagged here too. Plus, stupid cold. AGAIN! I've never been so grateful that a job that should have been huge turned into I don't know anything and we all left after about an hour! You know, I've had so many travel colds my immune system really should be better than this. I think I'm going to have to get a plastic bubble to go around in.

Jack, Loving the photos! I had so many I've had to make sub photos for each city because they were just overwhelming me. And then when the photo CD arrives and then when Heather posts her photos, it'll be like photo palooza! :cool1:

So what time is breakfast at Kevin and John's? 'Cause I'm over this Shredded Wheat thing.

Oh, hey, Karen: I thought of you on Monday! I was having a very purple day. :banana:

Sign me up! :goodvibes

As soon as I got up on my first morning home I went to the grocery store and bakery and bought salami, cheese, croissants and fresh fruit and had a little mini buffet of my own, but it is not the same without my peeps! I miss the fresh croissants with honey inside from Rome and the fabulous warm pastries in Venice, not to mention the platters of charcuterie and cheese. My breakfast expectations have definitely been reset to a very high level!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter