The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Just dropping a note here to say that I will be MIA for much of the summer (starting now) while I work on a project. I'll likely look in on the DIS Camping Board but that could be days apart. So I'll issue my apologies in advance when I am slow to respond to PM's or have limited interaction. Ya'll carry on helping folks on the main board. I'll re-engage when summer is over.

Bama Ed

Have fun with the project ed. Hope its less work and more fun. Unless the work is wanted. Tomorrow is freezing temps here, lol . A bit out of the ordanary, its going to be a Long way untill summer.

@Part-Time Paradise I have seen some of those. I wonder if you could have gone with T-Mobile internet directly for 50/m. No data caps I know of unlike ATT. I am a network engineer and I studied Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering and RF Engineering in college. I know more then enough to be dangerous, its reverse engineering the rails each provider looks for is the tricky part.

I went with Calyx/t-mobile as a primary since it supports internet privacy, I get a no data cap sim, and tax deductible portion. It sounded great as part of my donation. I think if I where seriously on the road longer term I would get a dual SIM router and run this and a visible sim from VZW. Many full timers have figured out how to use it too without much for data cap. I don't mind paying for services, I just want the most for each dollar.

I did learn something about my sim on the better modem. I think the issue might have been I was not setting my TTL to a higher number. It seems that tmobile might do this even on data only SIMs, so that will be my next test to see if that can make it work. Just some more digging to sort out for sure before I put all this to use in a more permanent setup.
I entered my address into the T-Mobile $50 thing and it says my address isn't serviced.

I just threw my name on Starlink. I'm in a no man's land for tower coverage from all the providers. Fiber also keeps running on roads nearby, but they keep skipping us. Oh well, we'll figure it out somehow.

Most fiber you see going up and down the bigger roads is all backhaul or long distance capacity. They are digging in big locally and people are getting their hopes up. Since I work in the industry I just know a lot of the regional north south conduits are full and the fiber in them are at capacity.

Rural internet is still such a challenge. I do hope that Starlink and its competitors like Oneweb make it a good solid product and don't try to take advantage of consumers. Though knowing how most big traded companies are, they will take as much advantage as they legally and socially can.

I plan to tinker some at home this weekend and then test again when we go to PA next weekend for Mothers Day.

Also in the works is finishing out most of the early spring work. With temps way down lately I am kind of glad I still held off on seeding a newly cleared area the use to just be overgrown brush. So this weekend will be a mix of relaxing, weeding and mulching and the aforementioned plan to rake and seed some areas and over seed others. Probably over seed in fall too for good measure on much of the lawn, but any less pare soil in the fenced area will be a good thing.

Hey, maybe I'm just late to the party, or possibly because I don't use the plastic ones, but did you guys know the plastic wheel chocks have an expiration date?
6d7e3c79-3e47-406d-962f-d1e6bc37770b.__CR0,88,1950,1206_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

I use the rubber ones, mainly because I felt they got a better "bite" on the wheels but I was telling my neighbor this and he is looking at me like I'm an octopus riding a bike. I went over to his camper and pulled one of his out and sure enough, there was a date stamped on it.

His was expired.

Yea, everything has an experation date. My birth certificate has one also. Lets see what happens.

The plastic breaks down after a bit in the sun, Im sure they got sued. So now they have to cover themselves. I have both old plastic , probably expired ones, and newer rubber ones. As long as they aren't brittle, or bleached out you will probably be ok using them.

the funny thing about the expiration date. We use the plastic ones and knew about the expiration date. We went to the store to buy new ones and all of them in the stores (walmart, camping world, etc) were already expired!!
Kris, are you guys gas or diesel?
I have never used wheel chocks before as I never felt they were needed. Wondering if I was doing wrong all this time. With air brakes, you lose air and they are locked.

Just dropping a note here to say that I will be MIA for much of the summer (starting now) while I work on a project. I'll likely look in on the DIS Camping Board but that could be days apart. So I'll issue my apologies in advance when I am slow to respond to PM's or have limited interaction. Ya'll carry on helping folks on the main board. I'll re-engage when summer is over.

Bama Ed

I hope your project goes well.

<Whispers> Does this mean you won't be doing your wonderful FtW campsite spread sheet when the prices go up this summer?

I just threw my name on Starlink. I'm in a no man's land for tower coverage from all the providers. Fiber also keeps running on roads nearby, but they keep skipping us. Oh well, we'll figure it out somehow.
Jack,

Check your messages. I may have an offer you don't want to refuse.

For everyone else, I switched to the black ones James posted after I kept running over the plastic ones. A big diesel truck and a 14,000lb 5er didn't even notice.

j

Jack,

Check your messages. I may have an offer you don't want to refuse.

For everyone else, I switched to the black ones James posted after I kept running over the plastic ones. A big diesel truck and a 14,000lb 5er didn't even notice.

j
You can run them over if they are metal. Lol. Truckers drive over them all the time.

I have never used wheel chocks before as I never felt they were needed. Wondering if I was doing wrong all this time. With air brakes, you lose air and they are locked.
It depends. I dont see busses using them, but we do on the fire trucks. And most constrution trucks, think power/ gas compony, etc use them also. And we have had them roll. Not often, but I have had it happen where we work twice. I would use them in setting up. So, if the back was going to be raised higher then the front ( or just first) I would chock the front tires so there is no movement in the rig while setting up. May not be as important on a class a, but I dont like stuff shifting on me when I dont want it to. But I dont have a class a, and have no idea of the lift operations, just guessing. The stuff I do have experience with are big and heavy. I have sceen the arial truck creep and move while getting set up on larger grades. And it does shift a bit on level ground. The chocks keep it in place. Also, we had a brake that just poped up. Rolled across the street. Thank god no damage or injuries. If the air line breaks , your correct, it should lock the brakes on. But who knows sometimes.

It depends. I dont see busses using them, but we do on the fire trucks. And most constrution trucks, think power/ gas compony, etc use them also. And we have had them roll. Not often, but I have had it happen where we work twice. I would use them in setting up. So, if the back was going to be raised higher then the front ( or just first) I would chock the front tires so there is no movement in the rig while setting up. May not be as important on a class a, but I dont like stuff shifting on me when I dont want it to. But I dont have a class a, and have no idea of the lift operations, just guessing. The stuff I do have experience with are big and heavy. I have sceen the arial truck creep and move while getting set up on larger grades. And it does shift a bit on level ground. The chocks keep it in place. Also, we had a brake that just poped up. Rolled across the street. Thank god no damage or injuries. If the air line breaks , your correct, it should lock the brakes on. But who knows sometimes.
Good to know, and I forgot about jacks, which I assume you're talking about lifting off the ground? I don't have jacks, all air bag leveling. Learn something every day!

We are diesel and we don't have jacks we settle on the air bags. No idea if we need to chock but Bert feels better about doing it, so we do.

I hope your project goes well.

<Whispers> Does this mean you won't be doing your wonderful FtW campsite spread sheet when the prices go up this summer?

I will not get to it until my summer is over. Sorry. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter