The Dream hit the dock in Nassau

Basically a Celebrity ship took out a whole pier in Alaska (I believe Ketchikan) last season (2016).

I was in Ketchikan a couple of days after that incident. They *clobbered* the pier there. The HAL cruise ship that came in after us (We were on Crown Princess) had to anchor and tender. It was pretty cool to watch float planes take off and land between two cruise ships.

27680872756_13da007f24_h.jpg

How does something like this get investigated, and is there a public report eventually, as with aircraft accidents?

Well, it did not happen in the US, nor is the ship flagged in the US so unless I'm missing something the US has no jurisdiction

OTOH it is not uncommon for the Bahamas to request US help in an investigation of this type so you MIGHT see an NTSB report in a year or two

USCG might have come aboard on first US landing after this to take a look but that would not be a full investigation .... just a safe to sail determination.

question is, did the 'dolphin' (that's the nautical name for that square hunk of concrete waiting for the mooring lines and connected to land by some metal walkways) get damaged? In the Alaska incident, the ship hit hard enuf to knock down the walkways and more. In a recent Port Canaveral incident a ship damaged the dolphin so much it had to be replaced ....

if it was a bump and go ... no problem .... if the dolphin was damaged structurally??????

This could impact parking larger ships as they NEED this point for their lines ...

Last edited:
We just got off this cruise. DH was on our balcony when it happened and knew something wasn't right but didn't know we hit the pier. Everything operated as normally though. When we were pulling out of the lot there was a boat over there with people looking at it.

Looks like they painted it, and now she's on her way onto her next itinerary. (Scott retweeted a pic of her painted, leaving Fish Lips.) Do they call it good until the next scheduled dry dock or maintenance, or is there some sort of schedule/plan for repairing the dent?

Looks like they painted it, and now she's on her way onto her next itinerary. (Scott retweeted a pic of her painted, leaving Fish Lips.) Do they call it good until the next scheduled dry dock or maintenance, or is there some sort of schedule/plan for repairing the dent?
As long as the ship is sea-worthy, they'll probably wait for the next dry dock to fix it for good. Especially if they can "cover it up" with paint.

As long as the ship is sea-worthy, they'll probably wait for the next dry dock to fix it for good. Especially if they can "cover it up" with paint.
I get why they would wait...logistics etc. At the same time, I'm a little surprised they wouldn't want to fix that sooner for appearances purposes, considering DCL comes off as a classier, more luxurious brand than some other cruise lines.

I get why they would wait...logistics etc. At the same time, I'm a little surprised they wouldn't want to fix that sooner for appearances purposes, considering DCL comes off as a classier, more luxurious brand than some other cruise lines.
It's basically a "little" dent. Painting it out will cover up a lot of it.

It's basically a "little" dent. Painting it out will cover up a lot of it.

From the picture Scott tweeted, that is exactly the case. If you didn't know where to look, it would be hard to see now that it's been painted.

I wonder whose fault it was (maybe Goofy?) and how much the insurance assessment will be?!
In the grand scheme of things this is minor damage, chances are they won't even bother with insurance since it appears no one was injured, they'll just fix it and move on. Dealing with insurance would just slow down the repair process and potentially cause cruises to get canceled.

In the grand scheme of things this is minor damage, chances are they won't even bother with insurance since it appears no one was injured, they'll just fix it and move on. Dealing with insurance would just slow down the repair process and potentially cause cruises to get canceled.

It was a joke. Didn't you see the exclamation point after the question mark?

maybe at next dry dock they will install back up sensors, my car has them...they work great!!:rolleyes:

Can you post the pic please, or a link?

Ah. Now that I know who Scott is (DCL blog), I found the pic: https://twitter.com/sjohnson2316/status/914957045786451969

Last edited:
How does a person (myself) find this Scott person? It sounds like he has interesting information from time to time. I haven’t been able to sail for a while, unusual items make me feel less distant.

How does a person (myself) find this Scott person? It sounds like he has interesting information from time to time. I haven’t been able to sail for a while, unusual items make me feel less distant.

The Disney Cruise Line blog, he also has a section of his tweets and ones he receives. Usually keeps things updated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter