The Dream hit the dock in Nassau

***PLEASE READ***

Hey gang, while we appreciate everyone's willingness to share here, the video that has been posted multiple times cannot stay here as it includes vulgar language. Please refrain from posting it again. If anyone can find a way to remove the sound from the video feel free to share that version.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding!

I fixed it for ya!

I know it looks (sorta) fine after repainting, but (a) this will cost DCL $$ to repair in drydock and (b) it might affect bookings from skittish passengers.

I'm guessing someone will lose their job over this, if it was human error. Not sure if it's the harbor pilot or the captain--I can't find anything online as to who was actually in command at the time. Does anyone know for sure in a docking situation like this?

On the other hand, it's possible it was a mechanical failure between the order to slow and the propellers engaging.

From most reports I've read, the passengers were unaware of it happening. I've read more than one report of people on their verandahs who didn't know they had hit anything.

Not negating what happened, but if people didn't even feel it, no real need to be skittish.

From most reports I've read, the passengers were unaware of it happening. I've read more than one report of people on their verandahs who didn't know they had hit anything.

Not negating what happened, but if people didn't even feel it, no real need to be skittish.
Oh I didn't mean people who were onboard at the time. I meant people who see headlines like "Disney Dream crashes in the Bahamas", or see pictures, especially before it was repainted.

Not sure if it's the harbor pilot or the captain--I can't find anything online as to who was actually in command at the time. Does anyone know for sure in a docking situation like this?

I know for sure and have commented on this point ......

btw 'command' and 'control' and 'steering' have VERY different (legal) meanings on the bridge of a ship ....

The Captain/Master was 'in command'

a helmsman was 'steering'

and 'control' was legally in the hands of the pilot - that's what he's paid to do ....

I just watched the Dream leave Nassau. I can't really see but it looks like they did a very good job fixing the damage....

Disney Dream.jpg

Funny, you can buy a $18,000 Ford Focus that will park itself, but Disney didn't get that option on a $900 million cruise ship.:rolleyes1

Saturday morning in Nassau. Not too bad. They'll do further repairs the next time she goes into dry-dock.

Attachments

• IMG_2868.JPG
    IMG_2868.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 50
We were on The Fantasy last week and our Palo Server told us about the Dreams "little accident".
He said "heads were gonna roll", but I think he was being amusing.

Watching her leave, it looks like they might have done even more repair work.

I'm guessing they lost control from the pilot house. There appears to be nothing happening prop wash wise as they drift towards the pier. Then suddenly LOTS of prop wash from both main engines and stern thrusters. It could be 'ah **** or in nicer words 'loss of situational awareness' but there's a bunch of folks on the stern ready to handle lines .... I'm SURE they were telling the bridge what was happening .. foot by painful foot.

I've had similar happen to me. Once I was heading towards a still closed drawbridge and moved the throttle to stop, to slow and wait for the bridge to open. NOTHING HAPPENED and we continued at speed. PUCKER MOMENT ..... seems someone in the control room had pressed the button shifting control away from the bridge - it was a BOO BOO. It takes just a little time to switch back, but it also takes a little time to figure out what's wrong and in that time the ship - a BIG mass - continues to move. In my case I had room to maneuver and full rudder allowed me to do a 360 turn and stay away from the bridge until the situation was in hand.

Like I said, just a guess .... all it takes is for the wrong circuit breaker to choose just the wrong time to pop, or someone to press the wrong button and OOPS ....

ya could say they got off lucky
enhance

If you're gonna hit, aim for something FLAT .... corners hurt more ....

if they'd caught the corner they might have a gash rather than a dent.

We had an incident in Rota Spain in the early 70's where we snapped a shear pin on the throttle valve actuator and almost rammed a Portuguese minesweeper. A quick thinking chief machinist mate in the engine room took over manually and prevented an embarrassing problem.

I was on a cruiser in the late 80's (an old Leahy class) which was longer than a city block. We were twisting away from the pier in Manama, Bahrain when the Captain called back to the fantail safety officer for distance to the pier. I was part of the navigation team and heard the fantail safety officer call out "40 feet...30 feet..." right before the stern of the ship bashed the pier. I was snickering up my sleeve as I wasn't responsible. The Captain was less than pleased.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter