The Gulf State Park Tradition...

Which week seems to work best in 2025?

• May 23rd to May 29th (Memorial day weekend and following week)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • May 30th to June 5th

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • June 6th to June 12th

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • June 13th to June 19th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • June 20th to June 26

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • June 27th to July 3rd

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jim, stick to the interstate. Ed and Randy both bring up good points. It's smoother, more stop options if needed. The most important reason of all however, is when it crosses into Alabama and for some reason goes to 2 lane. It's literally our only claim better than Alabama. Many an Alabama vs Mississippi argument has been ended with the highway reference. MS as a jab at AL, actually built another 4 lane hwy that branches off hwy 45 at state line and goes down to I10. Problem is then you head east on I10 into Mobile and hit the tunnel that Ed was very correct in suggesting you need to avoid.

Pretty much everything else we lose on compared to our neighbor.

Hwy 45 is the clear easiest route for me and I've traveled it enough to know when to slow down or change lanes to avoid the rougher spots. I've hurled more cuss words on that 2 lane portion than I care to remember.

r (although trying to convince to come over weekend and miss 1-2 days of school for that t
Perhaps you could explain to her the trouble you could get into with us without adult supervision?

Oh the birds will be there, I don't want them mad at me after the Metallica incident :scared:

Oh do tell ....

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Well Hello Everyone. I have been laying low like Tiggerdad. Just settling into my new job at Airbus and trying to survive. We are very interested in anonther GSP meet up in 2025. I'm planning our first Disney cruise around that time frame too so I need to coordinate that. My suggestion is nail down the dates as soon as possible so everyone can try for a reservation. GSP has gotten impossible to secure a spots anymore. As mentioned they recently changed some policies aimed at people hoarding sites and never showing up. Kind of like Disney. I'm hoping it gets better. We are local and havn't been able to camp there for a couple of years now. Look forward to reconnecting with everybody.

Well Hello Everyone. I have been laying low like Tiggerdad. Just settling into my new job at Airbus and trying to survive.

giphy.gif

Joe, I would be HONORED if you could camp with us again.

I daydream of the original puzzlers BACK on my campsite at GSP. They were:

- @tiggerdad
- @Flametamr
- @SouthAlabama5er
- @bama_ed

Tiggerdad, if you end up modifying the thread to include a poll, I think you can add one that let's people make multiple votes (up to a limit). So if you set the limit at 3 votes, you can list multiple weeks for a possible GSP DISMeet and let people vote for up to 3 different weeks (or whatever you set the limit at).

Joe (@Flametamr ) took me and my dad under his wing on our first trip to FW for Halloween and we gave him and DD a ride in the Golf Cart Parade (they threw candy, I had to drive :rolleyes:) a couple years ago. It was a blast.

Joe, glad to know you are out there still.

ED

PS - also, Tiggerdad, that picture of your truck out there with the trailer under the roofing makes me sad. :sad:IIRC it's not your daily commuter vehicle any more but big dogs like that were meant to run free.....

Well Hello Everyone. I have been laying low like Tiggerdad. Just settling into my new job at Airbus and trying to survive. We are very interested in anonther GSP meet up in 2025. I'm planning our first Disney cruise around that time frame too so I need to coordinate that. My suggestion is nail down the dates as soon as possible so everyone can try for a reservation. GSP has gotten impossible to secure a spots anymore. As mentioned they recently changed some policies aimed at people hoarding sites and never showing up. Kind of like Disney. I'm hoping it gets better. We are local and havn't been able to camp there for a couple of years now. Look forward to reconnecting with everybody.
Anyone remember that time Joe fired up the pellet grill and had all of White Oak slobbering?

Joe, looking forward to getting back together.

giphy.gif

Joe, I would be HONORED if you could camp with us again.

I daydream of the original puzzlers BACK on my campsite at GSP. They were:

- @tiggerdad
- @Flametamr
- @SouthAlabama5er
- @bama_ed

Tiggerdad, if you end up modifying the thread to include a poll, I think you can add one that let's people make multiple votes (up to a limit). So if you set the limit at 3 votes, you can list multiple weeks for a possible GSP DISMeet and let people vote for up to 3 different weeks (or whatever you set the limit at).

Joe (@Flametamr ) took me and my dad under his wing on our first trip to FW for Halloween and we gave him and DD a ride in the Golf Cart Parade (they threw candy, I had to drive :rolleyes:) a couple years ago. It was a blast.

Joe, glad to know you are out there still.

ED

PS - also, Tiggerdad, that picture of your truck out there with the trailer under the roofing makes me sad. :sad:IIRC it's not your daily commuter vehicle any more but big dogs like that were meant to run free.....
Will do Ed

Probably add that in later tonight or tomorrow

Biggest question is actually centered around @SouthAlabama5er and his mode of arrival. Whether standard pickup, duel wheeled, or, as has been the case in the past, The Pete!

Biggest question is actually centered around @SouthAlabama5er and his mode of arrival. Whether standard pickup, duel wheeled, or, as has been the case in the past, The Pete!

I am sure no matter what means of transport he chooses, @tiggerdad,

The angels will welcome him with trumpet blasts when he enters the state park arena! :littleangel: And they will sing to the heavens as his 'roll down to the site' song.

And no matter what his tow vehicle is, he will spot that trailer PERFECTLY on his first try.

Becuz, ya know, Experienze :teeth: .......

🚚

We expect nothing less, Randy.

Ed

PS - I remember trying to back into site #4 at GSP once across from the lake and there was @garneska running through the view of my rear side mirror. She was trying to get a good seat to watch the backing.

I admit I waz so shook it took a second try to perfectly spot my Aliner. :sad2:

I mean "who duz that kinda thang"? :crazy:

We haven't really decided anywhere specific. We have probably waived off someplace right on the water and are considering someplace back. I think being up around I-10 makes more sense if we want to travel. No point in moving 2-3 hours south into FL if we will be driving to the NE or the West. I'll definitely talk to @tripleb. I didn't remember them moving south and we talked at the Pigeon Forge

@

Teamubr,​

We live near Ft. Walton Beach/Destin ... if you got any questions concerning this area. I'm pretty much an expert since I have lived here all my life :-)

Alright folks, poll is up and running at the beginning of the thread.

You get 3 votes and the poll will be open for 2 weeks. we can't book the sites until a year out so this leaves plenty of time to prepare to book. I broke it down on a Friday to Thursday week, from the last week of May and all of June. We'll see what seems to favor the majority and go from there.

Once the week is nailed down we can talk general location at the campground although I'll admit you can stay anywhere there and still either ride in vehicle or bike to the sites without much trouble. traditionally we were either on Live Oak (around site 4 and 18) there around the intersection) Sumac which is directly behind it, and Bobcat. These three roads are closest to the entrance and typically easier in and out of the campground.

Screenshot_20240218-080307_Google PDF Viewer.jpg

Just something to be thinking on while the poll runs through.

I voted for the 1st 3 weeks, but I'm good with any week.

j
Same for me Jim, really any of them work. Really want folks to choose the ones that are best for them. It'll better our chances of more folks. Some people have ties that keep them from coming in early June, so totally get it. The only restriction I have is volleyball practice starts first week of July so I'd have to leave a few days early if we go with last choice. Of course this is just a rough idea. Some folks may book a Monday through Sunday or just a few of the days.

It's looking like most of the old faces are piping in.

I'm still looking for that new face though...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter