***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

Has there been any news regarding refurb timing?
I'm starting to plan a big trip with three years worth of points for fall '25 or spring '26 and definitely would prefer that stay to be after it has been completed.

Since the 2025 statement (without specifying whether that is the beginning or the end) made at the December annual meeting, I have not seen anything mentioned.

Would there be any reason why 15 AKV contracts (~2,800 points) all hit the resale market yesterday? They all seem to be from the same broker, so maybe not. Just trying to see if there was some big announcement that I could have missed. Thanks!

Would there be any reason why 15 AKV contracts (~2,800 points) all hit the resale market yesterday? They all seem to be from the same broker, so maybe not. Just trying to see if there was some big announcement that I could have missed. Thanks!
Was it all for the same price? Could be one or two people who had a bunch of contracts trying to sell.

Also was it on a broker site or an aggregators site?
I’ve seen some errors on aggregators sites before.

Was it all for the same price? Could be one or two people who had a bunch of contracts trying to sell.
No - different use years, different sizes, different prices (relatively high IMO), some stripped/some not. It could be one or two people who had a bunch of contracts, for sure, but nothing would make you automatically assume that.

I guess as long as there isn't about to be a mass exodus, I don't really care.

Also was it on a broker site or an aggregators site?
I’ve seen some errors on aggregators sites before.
I noticed it on an aggregator's site, but when you click on the listing links, it does bring you to actual listings. I didn't click on them all, but the few I clicked on seemed legitimate.

I looked at DVC Resale Market and there are a bunch of new contracts. People could be selling to buy other places. I am confident Disney will not let the price drop on these. Also, with D23 coming and the anticipated announcement of details about the former Dino area of AK, there could be interest in the resort. One thing I did notice when we where there in February at AKL-Kidani is that there is an "outside" property built REALLY close to AKL and we could see apartments from our balcony. It was disappointing because it ruined the Disney bubble which I think is very strong over at AKL.

The rooms are also in need of desperate refurb. Our dresser in our 1 bedroom had one side with functioning drawers. The other side which should have been drawers, was clearly modified to be a door with poor shelving inside. One can only assume the former drawers were beyond repair and they did a poor job trying to make due.

I believe AKL is on the refurb schedule, but please Disney keep this gem of a resort looking special.

Last edited:
I’m excited for the refurb but at the same time worry about them destroying the essence of what makes it special. Some of the refurbs have taken away from that sort of thing in favor of a more standard hotel vibe with toned down Disney elements, vs a theming forward setup. We love AKV for that feel of NOT being just a standard hotel offering, and hope it stays that way.

Yikes, that sounds like a bummer... which direction was it? (NSEW)
SW, I’ve highlighted approx. where the apartments are located in red. Here’s a link to the apartments’ website https://madisonwaterstar.com/gallery/ When we were there a couple of months ago I noted the apartments from the bus on the way to Kidani & thought they need to do some serious landscaping to hide those things.IMG_0085.jpeg

I think a refurb must be coming in early 2025… I was looking at availability and standard Kidani rooms are completely booked for January and a good chunk of February. It is never that quickly booked up for that time of year. I think they must have taken some rooms offline in preparation.

Last edited:
I’m excited for the refurb but at the same time worry about them destroying the essence of what makes it special. Some of the refurbs have taken away from that sort of thing in favor of a more standard hotel vibe with toned down Disney elements, vs a theming forward setup. We love AKV for that feel of NOT being just a standard hotel offering, and hope it stays that way.
I would prepare yourself for 'bright and airy' with Hilton/Marriott vibes. It will be chock full of other tech improvements and say goodbye to a separate studio table and chairs. Say hello to some foot stools and a rising coffee table. The best part will be a comfortable mattress.

Having just stayed at AKV Jambo I would say the fridge and stove will soon be white or stainless instead of black which looks curiously dated.

This is my observation only and I have no insider information. Just take a look at all the room videos on youtube and note the similarities.

I would prepare yourself for 'bright and airy' with Hilton/Marriott vibes. It will be chock full of other tech improvements and say goodbye to a separate studio table and chairs. Say hello to some foot stools and a rising coffee table. The best part will be a comfortable mattress.

Having just stayed at AKV Jambo I would say the fridge and stove will soon be white or stainless instead of black which looks curiously dated.

This is my observation only and I have no insider information. Just take a look at all the room videos on youtube and note the similarities.
I certainly hope they do a better job than the bwv and bcv refurbs. I think those rooms are so bland, I can’t bring myself to stay at either place anymore.

I certainly hope they do a better job than the bwv and bcv refurbs. I think those rooms are so bland, I can’t bring myself to stay at either place anymore.
I’m a bit pessimistic, they started BWV Sept. 2023, & supposedly finished the BW view villas awhile ago, yet they’ve circled back & started kicking people w/ reservations in BW views out again allegedly because they have to redo the Murphy beds, plumbing, & electricity 🤷‍♀️.
AFAIK, they haven’t pulled any permits for AKV yet, I guess we’ll get the crew currently working on BWV, which does not inspire confidence given they’re having to redo stuff & taking so long.
Or maybe we’ll get the GF refurb crew, that refurb (hotel + villa conversion + VGF building refurb) has been going on at the GF for what feels like years :(.
My next planned AKV stay will be Oct. 2025, but it’s a big one, a GV for my nieces & their families that I’ve been planning for a couple of years, I’m really hoping the refurb. doesn’t torpedo my plans. I’m pretty sure we’ll lose our spa tubs, but hope we at least get bubble tubs, however BWV went w/ the cheapest option available - no spa, no bubbles, just tub.

BWV went w/ the cheapest option available - no spa, no bubbles, just tub.
SSR has just soaker tubs, and I think BCV too. I think that easier/faster to clean between guests may have played a large role in the move from jetted to bubbler to soaker, not just purchase price (and cost of maintaining the jets/bubbler mechanism). I’m happy to pay less to buy and less in housekeeping costs, not to mention happy to know the tub is clean through and through when I use it.

SSR has just soaker tubs, and I think BCV too. I think that easier/faster to clean between guests may have played a large role in the move from jetted to bubbler to soaker, not just purchase price (and cost of maintaining the jets/bubbler mechanism). I’m happy to pay less to buy and less in housekeeping costs, not to mention happy to know the tub is clean through and through when I use it.
The few times we've used the tubs we've had to pre-clean those jets with not just one run, but several in order to clear the gunk out. Not having tubs with jets is no big loss in my opinion. Probably more sanitary.

I love the spa tubs & will really miss them if/when they’re gone. Folks who don’t use them likely don’t care, but AKV has always had them, so anyone buying points there knew they were paying MFs for their upkeep/replacement just like we’re paying for the added maintenance, & replacement costs on all the extra bathrooms in the Kidani 1, 2, & 3 bedrooms and the cost of a % of club services, and extra per point for husbandry. Folks who drive still pay a % for the buses they don’t use & folks who don’t have a car pay a % for maintaining the parking lots they don’t need.
I don’t like that DVC is opting for cheaper tubs, less furniture (which they did at VGF,) cheaper generic fittings/furniture/fixtures, etc..

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter