The Official December 2009 Car Rental Thread

Check your rates with Alamo - my rental for a midsize from Dec 6 -Dec 13 went down from $293 to $248.

I checked my Alamo rate and it is more than the ressie I'm holding now. :confused3 The costco rate I'm using is using a lower discount. Weird.

I have 12/4-12/15, for $170, though I probably will add a couple of hours to the return time.

I'm not sure how lenient Alamo is with their returns.

I got a better price on my Alamo car using my Borders Rewards Perks. I have a Midsize at Sanford Dec 16-20 for $108.57 before taxes and fees for a total of $145.54. Not a great price but better than anything else I have found.

ID: 7014644 - I used 428448 (Walmart code) to the get the extra driver free. Either one gives me the same price.
Coupon : AF3527JDA - this gives you 25% off and a free day.

Borders Rewards Perks is free and open to anyone to join.

I hope this helps anyone. If anyone knows anything better I would love to hear it.

I checked my Alamo reservation yesterday and it was done $20-$30. For course, it would be a lot easier, if they let you modify the reservation to get the new price instead of booking a new one and cancelling the old one.

I called Dollar and they checked the rate. I was told I that I would keep the same reservation number, but receive the new price.

I was originally was thinking, do I cancel and rebook. But I decided to call and find out what they would do. I

I checked my Alamo reservation yesterday and it was done $20-$30. For course, it would be a lot easier, if they let you modify the reservation to get the new price instead of booking a new one and cancelling the old one.

I had no trouble modifying my current reservation, though all I did was add 4 hours, which cost me an extra $18.

So, my Alamo rate is now $188 for 12/4- 12/151 (11 days) and 4 hours. :worship:

I did check it to see if what would happen with a new one and th rate was higher.

I'm considering saving some $$$ and renting a car for the first day or so we're there,then returning,the only problem I'm having is it seems the cost for a 1 day rental is so high we're not saving much over a solid 2 weeks..... for instance, I can pay 290.00 with all fees and have a car for 2 weeks, or pay around 60.00 for use of a car for one day-(considering a day at the end too for drving back to airport)
is the high cost b/c of returning on property somewhere? I know it's cheaper,but not cheaper for what we get......;)
is one return place cheaper than another on property?
wondering if saving some money is the smartest choice after all,unless we could get a really good one day price....any ideas? TIA

I had no trouble modifying my current reservation, though all I did was add 4 hours, which cost me an extra $18.

So, my Alamo rate is now $188 for 12/4- 12/151 (11 days) and 4 hours. :worship:

I did check it to see if what would happen with a new one and th rate was higher.

Yeah, I could modify it, but it gave me the same price. When I created the new ressie, I was able to get a better price.

I'm considering saving some $$$ and renting a car for the first day or so we're there,then returning,the only problem I'm having is it seems the cost for a 1 day rental is so high we're not saving much over a solid 2 weeks..... for instance, I can pay 290.00 with all fees and have a car for 2 weeks, or pay around 60.00 for use of a car for one day-(considering a day at the end too for drving back to airport)
is the high cost b/c of returning on property somewhere? I know it's cheaper,but not cheaper for what we get......;)
is one return place cheaper than another on property?
wondering if saving some money is the smartest choice after all,unless we could get a really good one day price....any ideas? TIA
Are you looking to use the car for a grocery run, or to get from the airport to WDW? The Budget link on the car picture here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-transportation.htm#rental gets a pretty good rate for Christmas/New Years. If you are looking to pick up at MCO and drive to WDW (dropping off at the Doubletree on Hotel Blvd) is about $60 for one day. If you take ME and then pickup and drop off at the Doubletree you could save about $11. Not a whole lot of money.

ETA: I looked on Christmas week, the busies time. I don't know your date of arrival.

I was just able to get a Standard SUV on priceline for $26 per day 12/10-12/15 that total after taxes, fees etc was $231. It ended up being with Alamo so I don't have to worry about taking a shuttle either :banana::banana: Going rate on Alamo's website for the same car was around $490!! :eek:

I submitted a bid on Priceline for a compact, from Dec 5th through the 14th. I bid $7/day, they countered with $9/day so I took it. Total for the 10 days is just under $150. :thumbsup2

Well I started this thread months ago for my 9 day trip 12/4 to 12/13. Ended up with a little more than $200 using Thrifty Orlando Magi Card for the "we pick - midsize or up".

I have been watching rates come down - but the Thrifty rate was still the best (especially with the extra driver (I did call and the extra driver was included).

Well tonight I ran my last run through all the rental car companies and low and behold the old faithful Walmart code 430710 and a double upgrade coupon AU2789SDM ended up getting my business. $199 for a FULL size with the extra driver!!!

FYI: I could have received a mid size for $154 with the coupon code
AD2123JMC.

I wanted to thank all that posted and hope many found useful info. The month is still early and I am sure there will be more posts. For me - I'm DONE!!! (well untill I got back in January and the fun begins again!!)

Take Care All!!!!

My National reseravation just went down. It is for 15 days (Dec. 12-17) for a full size for $336.xx total.

Well I started this thread months ago for my 9 day trip 12/4 to 12/13. Ended up with a little more than $200 using Thrifty Orlando Magi Card for the "we pick - midsize or up".

I have been watching rates come down - but the Thrifty rate was still the best (especially with the extra driver (I did call and the extra driver was included).

Well tonight I ran my last run through all the rental car companies and low and behold the old faithful Walmart code 430710 and a double upgrade coupon AU2789SDM ended up getting my business. $199 for a FULL size with the extra driver!!!

AD2123JMC.

I wanted to thank all that posted and hope many found useful info. The month is still early and I am sure there will be more posts. For me - I'm DONE!!! (well untill I got back in January and the fun begins again!!)

Take Care All!!!!

I also leave tomorrow AM for our trip (12/4-12) and am happy with my National rental price. I ended up with a 8 day rental, full size (Exec. Aisle) for $97 before taxes and fees. Total $148. This was the best price I got from National this year after renting from them 6 trips in 2009. Enjoy your trip! Of course I have another trip scheduled for 10 days in January, so will be right back to the boards when I return watching for more deals.

AD2123JMC.

Take Care All!!!!

I know that mdurette has left but I'm hoping someone else can answer this question.

When I checked Alamo using these codes, I got a message that said

"You have entered a coupon that may be required to be presented at the time of rental. Please read the terms and conditions of the coupon before selecting your vehicle to ensure your coupon will apply to your reservation. If you are using an upgrade coupon, please select the car category you wish to upgrade from. "

Is there a coupon somewhere that I can print to get this rate?

Thanks!

Angela, I would not use a coupon code that I could not verify. I personally would not use it. Mousesavers is a good place to find reliable codes.

I just booked Alamo through Costco and added the double upgrade coupon AU2789SDM which brought my rare down. Can someone tell me where this code is from and weather i need to print something.
I booked Dec. 17 to the 30th for 256.05

Is there a coupon somewhere that I can print to get this rate?

The code is available on Mousesavers:

Get a double upgrade on a Compact through Midsize car. Go to the Alamo web site and use the coupon code AU2789SDM when booking. No physical coupon required. Valid on rentals picked up by 2/28/10, but holidays and other blackout dates may apply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter