The Official Riviera Owners & Info Thread

Congrats and welcome home, neighbor! I'm new to DVC too, so I don't have many tips other than what you probably already know... book at 11 months if you can to get standard view if you don't mind it as it's a lot fewer points.

We bought 100 points to go every other or 3rd year since we are from California and prefer longer trips further apart.

Yay for comfortable beds. That can make a trip miserable when combined with all the walking.

And I will keep your GF secret as I feel the same. Lol.

May I ask what you had at Bar Riva? Hopefully some dishes are better than others.

I know what you mean about wanting a different feel on vacation. I felt that way about Coronado Springs when we lived in Arizona for a few years.

Sorry to hear about your experience in the market. Getting to my 40s has definitely shown me that you never know what’s coming next.

The restrictions definitely caused me to hesitate where I wouldn’t have without them.

Thank you.

---------------

I had the Monte Cristo. Now before I say anything else I was tired and don't really understand why I even ordered it. I am not a health nut by any means, but don't often order fried anything and ended up with a fried sandwich and fries. :laughing:

I ordered it because I had heard someone rave about it being on the menu and I hadn't had one for decades.

I posted it was okay. Gross is a better word. Lukewarm. I hate when food is not hot. And there was no excuse for that, it wasn't remotely busy. Fried food does not go well warmed up after the fact, as normally I would have let the server know nothing was hot. Fries - blah.

But to cheer up this post --- I had:

Two beyond fantastic meals at The Boathouse.
One exquisite meal - Christmas Eve - at Wine Bar George
Never ever fails over decades breakfast at Kona Cafe.
Poor reviews but a decent meal at Frontera Cocina
Salmon was cooked perfectly at The Turf Club.

Hoping to try Topolino's one day. And will certainly give Bar Riva another go. It has a lovely atmosphere.

Riviera is a really beautiful resort. Congratulations to all the owners.

Last edited:
Thank you.

---------------

I had the Monte Cristo. Now before I say anything else I was tired and don't really understand why I even ordered it. I am not a health nut by any means, but don't often order fried anything and ended up with a fried sandwich and fries. :laughing:

I ordered it because I had heard someone rave about it being on the menu and I hadn't had one for decades.

I posted it was okay. Gross is a better word. Lukewarm. I hate when food is not hot. And there was no excuse for that, it wasn't remotely busy. Fried food does not go well warmed up after the fact, as normally I would have let the server know nothing was hot. Fries - blah.

But to cheer up this post --- I had:

Two beyond fantastic meals at The Boathouse.
One exquisite meal - Christmas Eve - at Wine Bar George
Never ever fails over decades breakfast at Kona Cafe.
Poor reviews but a decent meal at Frontera Cocina
Salmon was cooked perfectly at The Turf Club.

Hoping to try Topolino's one day. And will certainly give Bar Riva another go. It has a lovely atmosphere.

Riviera is a really beautiful resort. Congratulations to all the owners.

I’ve always thought Monte Cristos sound better than they taste. Lukewarm is not good though. Hopefully by May they have the kinks worked out.

Thanks for the info!

I’ve always thought Monte Cristos sound better than they taste. Lukewarm is not good though. Hopefully by May they have the kinks worked out.

Thanks for the info!
I have eaten the Cafe Orleans and the Bar Riva version. The jam and bread are the biggest differences between the two in terms of ingredients. Though the Bar Riva is "already prepared" whatever that means whereas the Cafe Orleans version is prepared as ordered. I will say that Cafe Orleans knocks it out of the park with it being more tart, powdered sugar, and more dough (instead of the fried bun). The quality was a bit higher at Cafe Orleans too in that I felt it didn't seem as greasy. Though, I did enjoy the Bar Riva version but I just couldn't get anywhere near eating half of the sandwich as a felt it lacked the accompaniments to cut the grease and heaviness (not helped by the slightly more greasy nature).

Though I will say Riviera is very beautiful. I always liked the idea and was nervous of the road (not enough for me to not consider adding on just wonder the impact), however, from the ground level you really can't see or notice it on the front side of the resort at all (and I assume the upper rooms that can see really are offset some by seeing some of WDW in the distance). From the backside it is serene and looking at the Caribbean beach resort (while not in the Mediterranean) adds a very beautiful backdrop with the colors. My experience has only been from the public areas; however, it has me really getting ready to try a room then add on there. The two large fountains at the front of the resort is another excellent feature.

I have eaten the Cafe Orleans and the Bar Riva version. The jam and bread are the biggest differences between the two in terms of ingredients. Though the Bar Riva is "already prepared" whatever that means whereas the Cafe Orleans version is prepared as ordered. I will say that Cafe Orleans knocks it out of the park with it being more tart, powdered sugar, and more dough (instead of the fried bun). The quality was a bit higher at Cafe Orleans too in that I felt it didn't seem as greasy. Though, I did enjoy the Bar Riva version but I just couldn't get anywhere near eating half of the sandwich as a felt it lacked the accompaniments to cut the grease and heaviness (not helped by the slightly more greasy nature).

Though I will say Riviera is very beautiful. I always liked the idea and was nervous of the road (not enough for me to not consider adding on just wonder the impact), however, from the ground level you really can't see or notice it on the front side of the resort at all (and I assume the upper rooms that can see really are offset some by seeing some of WDW in the distance). From the backside it is serene and looking at the Caribbean beach resort (while not in the Mediterranean) adds a very beautiful backdrop with the colors. My experience has only been from the public areas; however, it has me really getting ready to try a room then add on there. The two large fountains at the front of the resort is another excellent feature.

Sounds like the difference between Disney’s
already prepared and made to order Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches. Honestly the gorgeous cheese plates all over Riviera have me drooling. I feel like I will find plenty I want to eat. :-)

We have been here since Saturday and I’m still collecting my impressions, but overall we are loving it. We’ve had both breakfast and dinner at Topolino’s, tried both pools, had good and bad Skyliner days, and no Murphy bed issues at all. We’re in a 1BR standard, high floor, that overlooks the porte cochere and has a partial view of the Epcot fireworks (and a full view of the ball). The road in front is far away and very quiet. No noise and it doesn’t seem terribly busy. (In fact, when waiting for a bus, I wish it were busier). The CMs have been delightful and seem really happy to be here. The whole place smells good - the hallways have that “new house” smell, but the lobby and rooms smell good. It is a beautiful resort. I can see why Disney feels ok with the resale restrictions. If I only could stay here going forward, I’d be fine with that!

One unexpectedly nice touch: the rooms are much more tech- and device- friendly. When you pull down the queen Murphy, there are small shelves in the space next to where the mattress goes - like a tiny bedside storage space for glasses, a book, a glass of water, etc. And it has outlets and USB ports so you can plug a device in easily. On either side of the king bed, there’s an outlet with 2 plugs and 2 USB ports. Big smart TVs in each room that have your name and room # on it (no biggie in many hotels, but it’s a nice touch), there’s some limited Disney on Demand options, and ... you can stream Disney+ from your device without any other equipment. (Instructions on the home screen of the TV)

We had lunch poolside after mobile ordering from Primo Piatto, the QS. A little slow, but very good. The kids’ linguini tastes like fresh pasta, not dried, and the tomato sauce has a little bit of a kick to it. The Niçoise salad is quite good too. Not at all skimpy on the seared tuna, and it cost *maybe* $2 more than the chicken Caesar at Gasparilla’s...

Well skyliner broke down again so much so they announced to use the emergency kits. It was on the Epcot line yesterday on the 29th.

Sounds like they then performed safety checks on all lines. Up and running again today though. Possibly a small issue, speculation was about a door issue but that could be wrong.

We have been here since Saturday and I’m still collecting my impressions, but overall we are loving it. We’ve had both breakfast and dinner at Topolino’s, tried both pools, had good and bad Skyliner days, and no Murphy bed issues at all. We’re in a 1BR standard, high floor, that overlooks the porte cochere and has a partial view of the Epcot fireworks (and a full view of the ball). The road in front is far away and very quiet. No noise and it doesn’t seem terribly busy. (In fact, when waiting for a bus, I wish it were busier). The CMs have been delightful and seem really happy to be here. The whole place smells good - the hallways have that “new house” smell, but the lobby and rooms smell good. It is a beautiful resort. I can see why Disney feels ok with the resale restrictions. If I only could stay here going forward, I’d be fine with that!

One unexpectedly nice touch: the rooms are much more tech- and device- friendly. When you pull down the queen Murphy, there are small shelves in the space next to where the mattress goes - like a tiny bedside storage space for glasses, a book, a glass of water, etc. And it has outlets and USB ports so you can plug a device in easily. On either side of the king bed, there’s an outlet with 2 plugs and 2 USB ports. Big smart TVs in each room that have your name and room # on it (no biggie in many hotels, but it’s a nice touch), there’s some limited Disney on Demand options, and ... you can stream Disney+ from your device without any other equipment. (Instructions on the home screen of the TV)

We had lunch poolside after mobile ordering from Primo Piatto, the QS. A little slow, but very good. The kids’ linguini tastes like fresh pasta, not dried, and the tomato sauce has a little bit of a kick to it. The Niçoise salad is quite good too. Not at all skimpy on the seared tuna, and it cost *maybe* $2 more than the chicken Caesar at Gasparilla’s...

Appreciate the detailed review. March can't come fast enough!

I guess my only concern at this point is the persistent skyliner downtime (particularly on the EPCOT line) but that is not a criticism of the resort.

Just got back home. The Skyliner was down quite often while we were there. It wasn’t running at all to Hollywood Studios for two days and it was up and down to Epcot. Had to use the Skyliner bus

Well skyliner broke down again so much so they announced to use the emergency kits. It was on the Epcot line yesterday on the 29th.

Sounds like they then performed safety checks on all lines. Up and running again today though. Possibly a small issue, speculation was about a door issue but that could be wrong.
What’s in the emergency kit??

Do you know how long it was down for? The article I read said “minutes.” The people on the bus to MK today will be there much longer and won’t get kits. Lol.

I love that feature in the 1-bedroom Murphy. I wish they had the shelves etc in the studio one. Fresh pasta, mmm. Did they have fresh Parmesan too?
That’s one thing I loved living in Italy. It didn’t matter what we were eating, my host dad would bust out the huge block of Parmesan. Of course, I was living in Parma, so maybe they are more generous with the Parmesan than other places. Lol.

Really - where were you on the skyliner when it happened?

We were waiting to board atRiviera when they started offloading people.

Last edited:
I love that feature in the 1-bedroom Murphy. I wish they had the shelves etc in the studio one. Fresh pasta, mmm. Did they have fresh Parmesan too?
That’s one thing I loved living in Italy. It didn’t matter what we were eating, my host dad would bust out the huge block of Parmesan. Of course, I was living in Parma, so maybe they are more generous with the Parmesan than other places. Lol.
Sounds amazing. I read “Real Food, Fake Food” recently and I’ve wanted to go back to Italy to re-try the food and wine. Topolino’s at dinner provides some French and Italian olive oils with their epi bread. So good.

Friday and Saturday the line to HS was down all day. Sunday afternoon the Epcot branch was down but came back fairly quickly. Later that evening it was down again and they were running Skyliner buses

Sounds amazing. I read “Real Food, Fake Food” recently and I’ve wanted to go back to Italy to re-try the food and wine. Topolino’s at dinner provides some French and Italian olive oils with their epi bread. So good.

Plan a trip! There is so much to see in Italy. Meals were such an important part of my life while I lived there. My host family once drove us out to the opening of a friend’s market where we spent half the day talking about the guy who was going to slice the prosciutto we would sample that day. Everything was always fresh... daily bread from the market, wine in 20 gallon jugs in the storage unit that his friend grew, sauce he’d make by the giant pot that we’d put on EVERYTHING, all of it wrapped in paper or other things from home because they weren’t manufactured. To say they view food as an art is an understatement. It’s a real connection to food, a way they are grounded to their heir surroundings, tethered to their lives that we are not.

L
Plan a trip! There is so much to see in Italy. Meals were such an important part of my life while I lived there. My host family once drove us out to the opening of a friend’s market where we spent half the day talking about the guy who was going to slice the prosciutto we would sample that day. Everything was always fresh... daily bread from the market, wine in 20 gallon jugs in the storage unit that his friend grew, sauce he’d make by the giant pot that we’d put on EVERYTHING, all of it wrapped in paper or other things from home because they weren’t manufactured. To say they view food as an art is an understatement. It’s a real connection to food, a way they are grounded to their heir surroundings, tethered to their lives that we are not.
Last time we went to Italy (Tuscany) was before kids - during white truffle season. I was forever spoiled.

I just returned from a 4 night trip at the Riviera. We had several groups there who all got rooms all using cash for a family reunion. With so many people and experiences, I feel I can give a pretty good rundown of the place, both the good and the areas for improvement. Short version is we were very impressed, and most of the hiccups are fixable. There was one MAJOR screwup (see at the bottom) but the resolution was more than fair and I guarantee this one issue will never happen again:

Note we stayed in a one-bedrooms villa.

THE ROOM:
In my opinion the nicest room we've stayed in at Disney. We've done BLT and a several deluxe-category hotel rooms over the years and this is the nicest room with the most comfortable beds. While there is plenty of room in my opinion for five older people bed-wise, we do think the single bathroom is a major challenge. We have three high school-to-college age kids and getting ready in the morning is a challenge. If there was a small powder room or if the secondary bathroom area with the tub also had another toilet, our morning prep time would have been much much shorter.

One family thought the single pulldown murphy bed was claustrophobic with the overhanging top when it's open but my 15-year-old tall kid didn't mind at all.

There are small issues that do need addressing, like too few garbage cans, but none of them other than the single toilet are long-term.

We stayed in a "standard" room but still had a view from our balcony of the Epcot fireworks (couldn't actually see Epcot - we were too low a floor, but it was still cool).

THE RESORT GROUNDS AND "FEEL":
Excellent all around. Note we aren't really "Disney fanatics" that need to be surrounded by massive crazy theming - that gets exhausting for us. The Riviera was perfect for us theme-wise. A nice subtle sophisticated European theme, but not being hit over the head with it. Just very comfortable and a great respite from the park. But there's still cute Disney stuff - one of our group discovered the Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy outlines in the carpet near the elevator. Very subtle and cool when you discover them!

We thought the pool was perfect for us as well. Despite the warm days, it was never very crowded, and just a fun, not over-the-top place to be. Slide was great, the 18-month-old in our group adored the kids play area. Again, not crazily themed, but a fun, uncrowded pool in a beautiful area near the water.

We did a character breakfast at Topolino's Terrace. Best character meal we've ever had. It was the exact opposite of the chaos of, say, Chef Mickey's. High quality food, mellow vibe, kids aren't running around waving napkins. Made for a much nicer experience to us.

SKYLINER:
A-plus. It is game-changing. Suddenly a quick jaunt to, say, France in Epcot for pastries is not only doable, but fun! I had one day where I rode from Hollywood Studios after getting a RotR boarding group, rode back to DHS to ride RotR, rode back to Riviera, then later in the morning rode to Epcot to visit World Showcase for fun, then rode back again. Five trips before about 1pm, and all 5 were smooth, we had our own car for 4 of the 5, we never waited more than 30 seconds. Truly magical. Park Hopping between DHS and Epcot in one day becomes easy and fun rather than exhausting, and you can easily take a break between the two for a swim or a rest on the way!

That was a unanimous opinion among our group - we always loved monorail resorts but I think we've converted to preferring the skyliner - it's quicker, smoother, cleaner, more private, and, ahem, smells better. And Riviera is the best spot on the lines - all rooms are a super-short walk to the Skyliner, Epcot is the closest of any resort, and Hollywood Studios isn't very far either. We never had a single issue - maybe stopped for 60 seconds once out of countless trips and had a couple slowdowns but nothing major ever.

One thing that didn't affect us but we did notice - it may be a challenge with ECV's. Once we got there and there was a line of about 5 ECVs waiting to board. Since only a handful of skyliner carts are designated for ECVs I'm sure the last one had to wait a long time. (The non-ECV cars had no wait so we got right on ourselves).

OTHER TRANSPORTATION:
C-minus but hopefully improving soon. First off, the bus tracking doesn't work yet. So you're in the dark on bus arrivals which is frustrating

Only took buses four times, but two of the four were had very poor outcomes. Both were evenings at Magic Kingdom (not closing). The bus took 45+ minutes to arrive two straight nights, and we saw numerous buses for other resorts at the same time. There was a large crowd waiting for the Riviera bus (which for such a small deluxe resort that doesn't share a line, should NEVER happen), and no other resort had any line, so there clearly were major bus communication issues going on.

The second night, after waiting for 20+ minutes (and we were 30 people back, so it had been a lot longer since a bus arrival), I finally gave up and called a Minnie Van. Other people were irritated in the bus line both nights - I heard one person in line saying "I'm never staying there again." I wouldn't go that far, but you would think the brand new deluxe DVC resort in a non-traditional area would have the best bus service from Magic Kingdom, not the worst!

Disney has to fix the bus issues.

THE STAFF:
A-plus. Friendly, helpful, and courteous. I know some of it is that we're in the opening month, but we were impressed.

ISSUES AND PROBLEMS:
As I mentioned, there were some issues that popped up. Most were minor - maintenance came one day saying we called in an issue with the AC - we were confused because we didn't and puzzled to be disturbed. Ultimately we figured out housekeeping had made the maintenance call. Some of the gates at the pool didn't work with Magic Bands. Not enough garbage cans in the room. All minor "shakedown" stuff I'm sure will be sorted out. There were more minor things, but honestly nothing that won't be fixed.

The buses need to be fixed. Until it's fixed, maybe plan on Minnie Van back from MK (or save $ and Uber to Contemporary).

One family in my group did have one MAJOR issue, but I'm confident it'll never happen again so I wouldn't worry about it. In case you're wondering, they briefly left their car at the front with the valet while getting their bags to leave. Somehow the valet accidentally put their car keys in another person's car, who then drove off! They contacted that person, who eventually returned, but it took over 3 hours, which meant the family couldn't leave!

That said, the staff was EXTREMELY apologetic. When they thought it would only be 15 minutes to get the keys back, they bought the family lunch. When it turned out to be much MUCH longer, they eventually refunded their entire 3 night stay! Needless to say, at holiday rates, that is a very significant amount. In addition, though the family was leaving, they gave my family (we're siblings) some free fastpasses for the next day as an additional. So they went out of their way to make it right. And I'm 100% sure that they'll clean up the valet procedures to ensure that never happens again so I wouldn't be worried going forward.

OVERALL VERDICT:

Very positive. If you want to be surrounded by over-the-top Disney themeing this isn't the place for you. But if you want a subtler, high quality vacation resort with great transportation to two theme parks plus the Boardwalk area, it's a fantastic choice. The issues are almost entirely "get the kinks out" kind of stuff, but the staff is going out of it's way to fix things when they're brought to their attention.

Hopefully this helps as people are trying to figure out their Riviera plans and whether it makes sense for them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter